Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modifying Laser Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mordinvan
anyone thought of getting a magically created clip using some kind of trapped lightning elemental?
Dumori
would make for a smaller weapon as it wouldn't be a "clip" but a firing chamber. Also one could easly see the use of gattlining or high raite of fire lasers in mounted roles in point defense. A laser heavy minigun could lay down a huge wall of fire for as long as there is power by RAW. But then I would likely be more effective to just had more heavy lasers each indervidually traking than one.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Mar 9 2010, 08:54 PM) *
anyone thought of getting a magically created clip using some kind of trapped lightning elemental?

That's Magitech. We don't like to speak of such things here.
Furthermore, there are no lightning elementals. Fire, Air, Water, Earth. Those are in there.
Even if none of those are true elements. But i still can't get my Titanium Elemental . .
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2010, 02:32 PM) *
That's Magitech. We don't like to speak of such things here.

Given there going to be magic around for the next 5K years, someone might want to start.

Furthermore, there are no lightning elementals. Fire, Air, Water, Earth. Those are in there.
Even if none of those are true elements. But i still can't get my Titanium Elemental . .

I know, but there are spirits with electrical based attacks, and energy auras, and those should work just fine.
Stahlseele
Magitech was in Earthdawn, which played at THE HEIGHT of the Mana-Cycle.
Shadowrun is still at the very beginning of the up cycle. it rises for about 2500 years, then it goes down to 0 for another 2500 years gradually.
Shadowrun is not even 250 years into the mana cycle, so it's not even at 10% yet.
If i ain't wrong the mana cycle is 7000 years, not 5000 too. This would put shadowrun with the 70 years into the cycle in at about 1% of the complete cycle.
At about 2% of the maximum peak.
Think a bit about it. Why are corporations not using spirit power movement on things like ships/trains/planes/trucks?
Why is there no fire-elemental in every single combustion engine powering the whole damn thing?
Why is there no anchored light spell over some solar panels creating free energy?
And it goes on and on like this.
SpellBinder
Given a few centuries, and an abundance of ambient magical power that sounds like will take even longer, and maybe trapping a spirit into a battery will work.

But even the technowizardry has its risks. Not all spirits are going to like to be tied into a battery or whatever, and compared to RIFTs where this is more common, Shadowrun spirits are a lot more free willed and independent (thinking to the difficulty magicians have in binding spirits in Shadowrun). You want an air spirit with lightning powers energizing that Ares Redline? Sure, but a critical glitch could result in the spirit breaching its containment and going on a rampage.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2010, 04:49 PM) *
Think a bit about it. Why are corporations not using spirit power movement on things like ships/trains/planes/trucks?

For exactly the same reasons spice trading guilds still exist in DnD when a single 9th level mage can import several tons of the stuff everyday. Because the game makes didn't consider all possible implications of their game world.

Why is there no fire-elemental in every single combustion engine powering the whole damn thing?
Why is there no anchored light spell over some solar panels creating free energy?

Actually that last one was one I didn't even think about. There IS no reason it shouldn't be happening. Free solar power. I like the idea. Thanks.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 9 2010, 05:04 PM) *
Given a few centuries, and an abundance of ambient magical power that sounds like will take even longer, and maybe trapping a spirit into a battery will work.

But even the technowizardry has its risks. Not all spirits are going to like to be tied into a battery or whatever, and compared to RIFTs where this is more common, Shadowrun spirits are a lot more free willed and independent (thinking to the difficulty magicians have in binding spirits in Shadowrun). You want an air spirit with lightning powers energizing that Ares Redline? Sure, but a critical glitch could result in the spirit breaching its containment and going on a rampage.

Ya, but think of all that fun that would cause. Then you'd really have a reason to save 1 point of edge to keep that form happening wouldn't you?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Mar 10 2010, 01:09 AM) *
For exactly the same reasons spice trading guilds still exist in DnD when a single 9th level mage can import several tons of the stuff everyday. Because the game makes didn't consider all possible implications of their game world.

Actually that last one was one I didn't even think about. There IS no reason it shouldn't be happening. Free solar power. I like the idea. Thanks.

Think MORE about this.
The Mana-Level is more or less constantly on the rise right now.
Put the spell somewhere where the background is allready helping the spell.
The mana gets stronger, the background count gets stronger, the spell gets stronger, the energy output becomes higher and higher untill the mana levels start dropping again.
Basically, if you can keep this going and can start it with a good high force spell, then you can outperform coal/nuclear power plants some day.
Send a spirit on a remote service to have it constantly move water through a turbine and you have another free energy source using something like the hover dam.
Remember our friend the fire-elemental? Put one strong/big enough under a kettly so it heats water which becomes steam and powers a turbine like in a nuclear plant.
And of course, an air spirit constanly turning windmills too.
Clean, free energy!
Dumori
YAY mana to energy all we need now is a plot involing this and some freaky spirt's rights group against this. Then you can have corps eco-terrorists on one side spirt rights on another and any other oppersiton in the mix.
Stahlseele
Free spirits, basically the Discworld Golems. If they are paid in Karma, they will probably do what people are asking of them.
I don't see how you can not find a plot for this.
EVERYBODY who is SOMEHOW making money of oil/coal is going to be up in arms about this.
Dumori
I know I mean the possabilitys are endless just like the power supplied. I was think of the spirt rights fanatics are really a front for a rival corp or lots of rival corps...
Stahlseele
The Immortal Elves thinking we should not be using Magic too much, else we lure over the ENEMY too soon . .
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Dumori @ Mar 9 2010, 05:55 PM) *
I know I mean the possabilitys are endless just like the power supplied. I was think of the spirt rights fanatics are really a front for a rival corp or lots of rival corps...

Hey, thanks. I'd forgotten about the various free spirits that exist, some of which are even registered citizens.

Mordinvan, you think it'd be fun for a rampaging spirit just released from a battery? It'd be even greater fun, I think, for a free spirit to pull its resources against said character who's still got that spirit in a jar.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2010, 05:27 PM) *
Think MORE about this.
The Mana-Level is more or less constantly on the rise right now.
Put the spell somewhere where the background is allready helping the spell.
The mana gets stronger, the background count gets stronger, the spell gets stronger, the energy output becomes higher and higher untill the mana levels start dropping again.
Basically, if you can keep this going and can start it with a good high force spell, then you can outperform coal/nuclear power plants some day.
Send a spirit on a remote service to have it constantly move water through a turbine and you have another free energy source using something like the hover dam.
Remember our friend the fire-elemental? Put one strong/big enough under a kettly so it heats water which becomes steam and powers a turbine like in a nuclear plant.
And of course, an air spirit constanly turning windmills too.
Clean, free energy!

When it was originally suggested, it took me a second to realize it was said it jest, cause it seemed like the best idea I'd ever heard of in SR
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2010, 05:37 PM) *
Free spirits, basically the Discworld Golems. If they are paid in Karma, they will probably do what people are asking of them.
I don't see how you can not find a plot for this.
EVERYBODY who is SOMEHOW making money of oil/coal is going to be up in arms about this.

Except its possible to have a spirit with the create wealth power MAKE oil, or uranium, or the silicon needed for solar panels....
Mordinvan
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 9 2010, 06:05 PM) *
Hey, thanks. I'd forgotten about the various free spirits that exist, some of which are even registered citizens.

Mordinvan, you think it'd be fun for a rampaging spirit just released from a battery? It'd be even greater fun, I think, for a free spirit to pull its resources against said character who's still got that spirit in a jar.

The free spirit would have to have a reason to care in the first place. They are likely from a very different meta-plane, and likely consider the spirit in the jar as alien as we do. Even then, it would still be possible to create a manipulation spell like 'ignite' which can simply generate a continuous electrical discharge or something, which could be channeled.
Dumori
But they are very very high force companied to the fact that low force spirits can be put in to these roles. Also they are FREE thus requiring karma payments regularly or a super epic binding to control.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Mar 10 2010, 02:06 AM) *
When it was originally suggested, it took me a second to realize it was said it jest, cause it seemed like the best idea I'd ever heard of in SR

It is only partly in jest.
The Idea is still sound.
But magitech on this scale would tip the balance towards fantasy too much.
It'd throw the complete dystopian future overboard. Free energy is more or less the first step towards utopia.
DIMR would be on the forefront of this research. And that other do good corporation.
Daylen
putting spirits in technology seems about like trying to harness up Lofwyr to ride. If it can be legitimatly done through raw and smart moves by players than fine. changeing rules or bending rules to make it happen would be silly and hopefully done only in house rules.
Umidori
Okay, back to lasers.

Quick thought, I assume they bypass ITNW like a stick-n-shock? But to be honest, I don't think it specifically states if it does in the rules.

~Umidori
Stahlseele
Technically, they should.
Like the Ares Screech thingie.
And Wooden poles. And Water-Cannons.
Technically, since there is a metal elemental effect, would not normal guns also do this?
Nah, it's probably only really magical elemental effects <.< . .
Patrick the Gnome
Lasers would bypass ITNW just like stick n shock. They both give AP -half, which makes all but the highest spirits' immunity pretty near worthless. Of course, stick n shock, lasers, sound rifles, they all are still normal weapons so the spirit would get its hardened armor, it would simply be reduced to manageable levels.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 9 2010, 06:40 PM) *
putting spirits in technology seems about like trying to harness up Lofwyr to ride. If it can be legitimatly done through raw and smart moves by players than fine. changeing rules or bending rules to make it happen would be silly and hopefully done only in house rules.

As someone suggested, a quickened light spell attached to solar panels. Unless something 'odd' happens, they will continue to collect energy until hell freezes over. So this a few hundred times, and you power a block, a few thousand an you might power a city, with zero polution, and virtually no maintenance costs.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Umidori @ Mar 9 2010, 06:45 PM) *
Okay, back to lasers.

Quick thought, I assume they bypass ITNW like a stick-n-shock? But to be honest, I don't think it specifically states if it does in the rules.

~Umidori

It shouldn't, at best you'd get the AP thing from the laser, but nothing more then that.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Mar 9 2010, 07:53 PM) *
It shouldn't, at best you'd get the AP thing from the laser, but nothing more then that.

Yeah, They do not bypass it so much as overcome it...

Keep the Faith
crash2029
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2010, 03:36 AM) *

Arigato, Stahl-sama.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2010, 06:49 PM) *
Magitech was in Earthdawn, which played at THE HEIGHT of the Mana-Cycle.
Shadowrun is still at the very beginning of the up cycle. it rises for about 2500 years, then it goes down to 0 for another 2500 years gradually.
Shadowrun is not even 250 years into the mana cycle, so it's not even at 10% yet.
If i ain't wrong the mana cycle is 7000 years, not 5000 too. This would put shadowrun with the 70 years into the cycle in at about 1% of the complete cycle.
At about 2% of the maximum peak.

Wow, suddenly we're playing Ebber-Run.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Mar 11 2010, 01:11 AM) *
Wow that sounds almost as cool as Battle-Run
Stahlseele
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Mar 11 2010, 01:11 AM) *
Arigato, Stahl-sama.

No Problem ^^
What's Ebber-Run? O.o
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 11 2010, 01:19 AM) *
Wow that sounds almost as cool as Battle-Run

NOTHING will EVER be as cool as Battle-Run!
Well, maybe Battle-Run 2, but nothing else . .
If they don't start mixing one of the two up with warhammer 40k . .
Daylen
Eberron + shadowrun.

Eberron is the embodyment of Niven's law "any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"

its DND but with magic used as technology. cool for it, but probably silly for SR.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 10 2010, 06:16 PM) *
Eberron + shadowrun.

Eberron is the embodyment of Niven's law "any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"

its DND but with magic used as technology. cool for it, but probably silly for SR.

While I will admit that it would pose a problem for SR in terms of fitting the setting, the creation of magitech seems like a logical extension of the use of magic in a technologically advanced society.
Stahlseele
Let's wait and see what the devs/writers come up with in terms of magical thingamingies in the next few releases . . if i remember correctly, someone hinted at more magitech for the mana-challenged . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012