Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why would a Technomancer ever jump into a Drone?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sengir
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Mar 9 2010, 06:19 PM) *
I never said the TM is going to completely overthrow the street sam in the meat

Not you, but that claim was the starting point of this discussion wink.gif
Aerospider
QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Mar 8 2010, 06:04 PM) *
Dude, Gunnery IS a Vehicle Skill, ergo, ya get the bonus with a Control to Gunnery. Also, where is this rule that rigging reduces test thresholds by 1? (I'm not trying to jump down your throat, your just spouting rules I've never heard of and want to make sure I'm not screwing up big time here.)

That's not what I said and there's an important distinction. I said rigging (so not using Control) grants a -1 threshold modifier to vehicle tests. Gunnery is listed as a vehicle skill but it doesn't apply to vehicle tests, which are all about maneuvers and crash tests and use Reaction and Handling, not Agility.

However, I have just seen that remote controlling also gets the -1 threshold bonus, but only if done in VR.
Odsh
In response to the original topic:

QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Mar 7 2010, 02:09 PM) *
Looking at threading, why would a Technomancer ever rely on his Response rather then Threading his Command Complex Form to a ridiculously high number? (Isn't it was more beneficial for a Technomancer to Remote Control a Drone with a higher dice pool rather then just jump into it?)

If this is the case.... Why? (This makes no sense, I'd figure being one with the machine would make you quicker then just Remote Controlling from VR.)

I had the exact same question some while back. IMO the problem is that matrix tests rely too much on program ratings, which the technomancer can thread to very high levels or that can easily be obtained at rating 6 for anybody else. Especially when remote-controlling drones, where Command is the only program that is used in nearly any situation.

The solution is simple: apply the "Using Attributes" optional rule in Unwired, p.39. Instead of rolling Skill + Command, roll Attribute + Skill and limit the hits by Command. It is more difficult to reach very high attribute ratings, plus you can change the attribute based on the action the rigger is attempting instead of always using the same program rating.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Odsh @ Mar 9 2010, 08:17 PM) *
In response to the original topic:

I had the exact same question some while back. IMO the problem is that matrix tests rely too much on program ratings, which the technomancer can thread to very high levels or that can easily be obtained at rating 6 for anybody else. Especially when remote-controlling drones, where Command is the only program that is used in nearly any situation.

The solution is simple: apply the "Using Attributes" optional rule in Unwired, p.39. Instead of rolling Skill + Command, roll Attribute + Skill and limit the hits by Command. It is more difficult to reach very high attribute ratings, plus you can change the attribute based on the action the rigger is attempting instead of always using the same program rating.

Using that optional rule will massively limit the value of threading and thus make TMs much less exciting. Think about it - why would you bother threading an extra couple of rating points on a CF (taking on fading damage and a -2 sustaining modifier) on the off chance that you'll get super lucky and roll those extra hits? You may well not even know if those extra hits would make any difference if they actually did appear.

Much better to use the alternative rule of limiting Skill + CF hits by Logic, especially since Logic would still have several other uses to keep it's rating important.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012