Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PC Backgrounds
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Glyph
Shadowrun isn't a white hat and black hat game, but it doesn't have to be about amoral assholes, either. To me, playing a scumbag character is just as boring as playing an orc-slaughtering paladin. Shadowrunners can have ethics - that's what makes the moral dilemmas they run into interesting.
The Jake
I said from the onset that my campaign was dark and gave an incling of what it was about (Ghost Cartels, drug dealing, etc). This player (all of them did) agreed and knew from the onset what it was about. I asked him if he was interested and he said so.

He then proceeds to come up with some Neutral Good styled eagle shapeshifter that proceeds to then alienate the rest of the players. After about a year of on/off gaming he's finally realised that the character doesn't fit (if not him as a player) in this campaign and finally I've convinced him to start thinking of alternatives.

I'd say it was my fault but I was clear from the onset.
I'd say it was his fault but honestly, I think he's just permanently wired to play good characters and may not like playing anything else, let alone be capable.

At the end of the day it is a game and some campaigns, depending on your themes, aren't subject to change on the whims of a single player. And if a player isn't enjoying the game, well, then they need to get out and find something they do enjoy.

This isn't even about one player wanting a piece of tech, or wanting a particular experience for his character. He is all but asking for a change of theme. I go out of my way to tailor my adventures to cater to all the players, but I'm not going to change the major themes of the campaign (which underline all the adventures) for the preferences of one player. It's a player problem at that point, not a GM problem.

- J.
Whipstitch
Yeah, see, I agree with that stance. I have no issue with asking someone to find something else to do if their interests don't align. I just have to roll my eyes a bit when people start throwing around the idea that not being interested in games featuring morally ambiguous activities is the sign of a weak mind or that they're missing out on an opportunity to become a more well-rounded person by taking their ball and going home. Perhaps the notion is borne out in some cases but for the most part it's a rather condescending load o' drek.
Saint Sithney
Or maybe you're just misconstruing things so that you can argue with straw men?
You never can tell...

Taking a statement like "Rolepalying provides us opportunities to broaden our horizons," to mean "UR DUMB IF YOU WON'T PLAY MY TODDLER INCEST GAEM," is stretching it some. All I'm talking about is keeping avenues of communication open rather than shutting down and running away if some disagrees with you. I'm not looking to fellate myself over the ability to run a cyberpunk game in a cyberpunk world. In fact, what's really condescending here is your implication that you know piss all about me or my attitudes. I don't know how you read what I've said and pictured me as some greasy cock-in-hand troll, stroking over how amoral I can be. Well, honestly, I do know, and I'm sorry for every time you've run into that guy. I'm not him, and I resent anyone implying as much.

Whipstitch
I run into at least one just about every time I start working with a new group. The hobby is chock full of the "I just had to escape those morons who still play D&D, ammirite!?" types in my area.
Triggvi
one way to use a dependent but never truly harm her is to have the villian hand him a pic of her at school or playing. and tell him that nothing will happen to her if he plays ball.
Triggvi
Holes in a background are playgrounds for GM to fine tune there campaign to use it. As a player I like to let the Gm have some creative license with the holes in my background. If everything is spelled out too tightly it can hamper the flow of the game.
The Jake
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 26 2010, 12:05 PM) *
Or maybe you're just misconstruing things so that you can argue with straw men?
You never can tell...

Taking a statement like "Rolepalying provides us opportunities to broaden our horizons," to mean "UR DUMB IF YOU WON'T PLAY MY TODDLER INCEST GAEM," is stretching it some. All I'm talking about is keeping avenues of communication open rather than shutting down and running away if some disagrees with you. I'm not looking to fellate myself over the ability to run a cyberpunk game in a cyberpunk world. In fact, what's really condescending here is your implication that you know piss all about me or my attitudes. I don't know how you read what I've said and pictured me as some greasy cock-in-hand troll, stroking over how amoral I can be. Well, honestly, I do know, and I'm sorry for every time you've run into that guy. I'm not him, and I resent anyone implying as much.

I get it that some people have a preference for one system over another and that some people can be judgemental, but that's a far, far cry from calling someone a dumbarse or whatever. Nobody is inferring that in this thread. I think you seem to have a persecution complex.

- J.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012