Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Statement from CGL regarding financial situation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
knasser
QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 6 2010, 08:06 PM) *
It's a card game by WildFire, about monkeys flinging Poo at each other. Last monkey that isn't covered wins!

I couldn't tell if you were joking or not, so I had to check the website.

Turns out you're not.
JM Hardy
There is a press release up on the CGL website about the issue. It's short, so here it is in its entirety:

Catalyst Game Labs Negotiating To Part Ways With WildFire And Posthuman Studios

Catalyst Game Labs is currently engaged in negotiations to end its agreements with WildFire and Posthuman Studios. Once the terms are finalized, Catalyst will no longer publish CthulhuTech or Poo: The Card Game for WildFire, nor will they co develop and publish Eclipse Phase for Posthuman Studios.

“It’s been fantastic to be involved with growing CthulhuTech alongside WildFire, while also launching Posthuman Studios’ Eclipse Phase,” said Randall Bills, Managing Developer. “We love both of these universes and want to seem them grow and flourish. However, in our current situation we need to re-focus on our core brands of BattleTech and Shadowrun, while developing our original games. As such, while we are parting ways with both companies, we’ll be doing everything we can to support WildFire and Posthuman Studios as they assume the full mantle for their game lines.”

Future details surrounding CthulhuTech will be found at www.cthulhutech.com, while future Eclipse Phase details will be found at www.eclipsephase.com.
Rotbart van Dainig
As anyone who ever rode an amusement ride will attest: Too much spin will make people puke.
emouse
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 6 2010, 07:21 PM) *

Turns out you're not.

It's even nominated for an Origins award. wobble.gif
-Nyx-
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 6 2010, 02:21 PM) *

Turns out you're not.

CGL got a pre-version on last years GenCon... it was quite funny. smile.gif
nemafow
Well at least Eclipse Phase is still going to go ahead one way or another, which I'm happy about.
Wesley Street
Me too!
Belvidere
QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 17 2010, 11:36 AM) *
I don't understand. The company is voluntarily disclosing this information? As in, without prompting, admitting fault and accepting responsibility?

They must be hiding something...

^Totally agree^

And this is how to spot a Shadowrun player. rotfl.gif If a company is coming out with informations... it must mean they're hiding something!
krainboltgreene
It looks like Catalyst Gaming Labs has filed for Chapter 7:

http://ia331218.us.archive.org/3/items/gov....504666.1.0.pdf
Fuchs
As I understand it others, among them Wildfire LLC, have filed for Chapter 7, which is involuntary bankruptcy, against IMR.
Nal0n
QUOTE (krainboltgreene @ Apr 21 2010, 09:07 AM) *
It looks like Catalyst Gaming Labs has filed for Chapter 7:

http://ia331218.us.archive.org/3/items/gov...0467666.1.0.pdf

Unfortunately your link is quite dead.
And afaik they have not done this themselves but they have been filed ... by WildFire LLC and 2 other individuals.
Mesh
Chapter 7 Link1 and Link2.
WinterScale
The new links seem to confirm that IMR Specifically is filing chapter 7 because (per the links) Jean-Phillippe Sugarbroad, Paul H. Stansel and Wildfire LLC wanting to be paid. This isn't CGL as a whole, and it's a total of just under $60k, which isn't a *huge* sum for a company, but is still fairly significant.

We'll have to see where things go.
Fuchs
QUOTE (WinterScale @ Apr 21 2010, 04:10 PM) *
The new links seem to confirm that IMR Specifically is filing chapter 7 because (per the links) Jean-Phillippe Sugarbroad, Paul H. Stansel and Wildfire LLC wanting to be paid. This isn't CGL as a whole, and it's a total of just under $60k, which isn't a *huge* sum for a company, but is still fairly significant.

We'll have to see where things go.

Again, IMR is not filing anything, it is summoned to court.
Mesh
I'm on the hunt for a GM for SR4, but all this intrigue and crime ranging from the company with the license to Shadowrun to its writers to its partners even to the moderators on this forum is inspiring me to start writing a new campaign. 格好良い!
WinterScale
Wait, so those 3 entities are petitioning Chapter 7 *for* IMR, involuntarily?

This don't make no sense to me. Glad I'm not a financial dude.
Ancient History
WinterScale: They're trying to force IMR to liquidate their assets to pay back their debts. Something IMR would not normally do, because hey, they want to stay in business.
WinterScale
Ah. That makes sense. Sucks for IMR, but that's what happens when you don't provide proper oversight of your employees and allow people to go unpaid while others pilfer the coffers.
SecGuard
So all in all not good for IMR.
Warlordtheft
It appears since the negotiations on April 6th, negotiations with wildfire have gone badly......now the lawyers get involved.
Mesh
CGL. What a bunch of dandelion-waving, corp-puffs. If management had any sense, they'd take this time to crack open one of the very books they're trying to sell for a tip: Shadowrun. They should already have a Johnson scoping out teams for runs against their debtors to grab some leverage. "Oh, we have a report that your CEO has been using per diem coverage on prostitutes and blow. Here are the pics our runne... a concerned whistleblower anonymously sent to us. How about dropping the Chapter 7 lawsuit so we can both clean these things up quietly and move forward as partners?" Meanwhile, Team2 does a smash and grab on CGL's own turf thinking they're working for a debtor. They clean out a batch of fresh freelance writing (the "paydata" or so they think) and drop a few viruses behind... Viruses that CGL's own spiders wrote to wipe out any trace of the embezzl.... co-mingling. And when they come back for payment? They're actually set up at a meet in a warehouse with all the unpaid freelancers who think they're getting a private meet with Coleman (where they intend to exact vengeance). The scene erupts into a firefight finished off by a rocket through the window courtesy of Team3. CGL laments their losses to the public regaining valuable face and sympathy and vaults back onto their high horse with a much anticipated SR5.

What a wasted opportunity otherwise! It's a shame they don't have any writers left with the creativity to concoct such an "out".
DireRadiant
Spamming different threads with repeated posts is against the ToS.
Mesh
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Apr 21 2010, 04:41 PM) *
Spamming different threads with repeated posts is against the ToS.

Looks like the same thread to me (compare titles), and do the Terms of Service specify two posts as spamming?

Like I said when I joined, I have serious reservations about the level of moderating done here.
WinterScale
If you've posted the exact same text in another thread, there is no reason to repeat it without specifically mentioning something like "Crossposting this from the other thread because ______" so people know *why*you're putting the same stuff in multiple places.

Otherwise, yes, it can be considered spamming.

Not to mention they aren't the same thread. Similar titles != exact same thread. Heck, that one is a Speculation thread, this one is the actual statements from the company thread. Fact != Speculation either.
Mesh
I don't want to hear some overanxious, rules lawyer call two posts to two threads discussing the same subject spamming. If you're looking to abuse your moderator status, then kick me off. You've got plenty of posters who will take that apparently. I'm not one of them.
Redjack
If you don't wish to abide by the TOS, then why stay?
Mesh
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 21 2010, 05:06 PM) *
If you don't wish to abide by the TOS, then why stay?

You assume I believe I am not abiding. That is not the case. If the intent of the rule in the ToS is to prevent spammers from posting a message (like an ad for example) on every thread on the boards, throwing it my face for posting a relevant reply in two nearly identical threads is abusive overmoderation.
Redjack
We wrote the TOS. Now you are going to tell us what we meant by it? Rich.
Mesh
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 21 2010, 05:15 PM) *
We wrote the TOS. Now you are going to tell us what we meant by it? Rich.

I don't hear you disagreeing. I do hear you sarcastically mocking a new member.
WinterScale
Or you know, if you hate the mild moderation that occurs here, maybe you should choose to leave. Jesus dude, take a chill pill. They're nipping a lot of things in the bud of late, because we've had *rampant* violations recently. If you don't like it how our mods do their job, then there are always other forums to visit.

And Mesh, if the mods warn you about a potential violation with colored text, then that is an indication you are *not* abiding by the TOS. They don't just use that text because it makes them feel saucy.
Bull
To turn this back on topic a bit... This was just posted to CGL's site.

Catalyst Game Labs Update

While Catalyst has been publically quiet, we’ve been working behind the scenes these last few weeks, reviewing our processes across the board and changing and updating as necessary, while still working on future products.

As announced on March 20th, a select list of Shadowrun books was put on hold as we negotiated with several freelancers concerning those products. We’re pleased to say that within the last three weeks we’ve been able to make 65 payments to dozens of freelancers covering a variety of projects and resolved the hold issues. This process included completely paying off four books already in print while simultaneously auditing past due contracts in order to continue payments on completed projects. We also chose to pay off a book in preparation for sending it to print. We believe that this three-fold approach of resolving the disputed contracts, establishing a payment plan for completed work, and ensuring new product continues down the pipeline is the best recipe for success at this time.

Catalyst has been in negotiations with some additional parties for weeks concerning how to pay down debts, including making partial payments, turning over stock and so on, as they’ve requested. We’ve been notified that some of these parties are pursuing additional legal means to secure the monies owed despite the negotiations. Our legal counsel has advised that the lawsuit is baseless. As such, Catalyst will defend against it and expect it to be dismissed in the near future. Regardless, we’re continuing our negotiations and will continue to move, as we’ve been doing, to pay debts down as quickly as possible.

Finally, as some of you may have noticed, we’ve just changed the legal text and logos on all our appropriate sites that reference Shadowrun and BattleTech from WizKids to The Topps Company, Inc., per their direction. We’ve been in contact with Topps for weeks regarding these situations. We are currently in negotiations to re-secure the Shadowrun and BattleTech licenses.
Fuchs
Catalyst has been in negotiations with some additional parties for weeks concerning how to pay down debts, including making partial payments, turning over stock and so on, as they’ve requested. We’ve been notified that some of these parties are pursuing additional legal means to secure the monies owed despite the negotiations. Our legal counsel has advised that the lawsuit is baseless. As such, Catalyst will defend against it and expect it to be dismissed in the near future. Regardless, we’re continuing our negotiations and will continue to move, as we’ve been doing, to pay debts down as quickly as possible.

That's interesting. Turning over stock? Partial payments? "and so on"? That doesn't sound well at all.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Mesh @ Apr 21 2010, 04:20 PM) *
I don't hear you disagreeing. I do hear you sarcastically mocking a new member.

When a new member comes on to post almost entirely about the style of moderation, we wonder at their intentions. When you go around baiting the mods with snippy comments and little else, you're going to get replys. Of course, you no doubt realize that. Your first post here was to complain about the moderation, which means that you're here to do little else than flame. It would be nice to say that you're concerned with the style and format of Dumpshock, but that would be more believeable if you'd been posting here before. You came here to pick a fight. Don't pretend to be surprised when you're not cordially received.

Argue moderation in the appropriate area.
Method
Unstickied in an effort to consolidate overlapping discussions.
Please direct further discussions to CGL Speculation #6
Mesh
Mesh
Method
This one is drifting off topic anyway, so I'm going to lock it. Please feel free to continue the CGL discussion in the speculation thread. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012