Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Cergorach
QUOTE (Adam @ Mar 25 2010, 06:38 PM) *
Absolutely.

Much less than you might think. smile.gif

I here by dub thee Adam "The Jinx" Jury wink.gif

Adam
There are so many people in the game industry you could apply that to if you tried. wink.gif
Malachi
QUOTE (darthmord @ Mar 25 2010, 11:25 AM) *
I got into SR back in the 1st Edition days with Dodger, Sally, and that sam whose name I keep forgetting on the front cover.

Ghost-Who-Walks-Inside. They were on the 1st and 2nd Edition covers (the cover was the same).
SecGuard
Pity Kham wasn't there as well.
nylanfs
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Mar 24 2010, 01:01 AM) *
Oh, I forgot to mention the Limited Edition--last I heard, still stands to be shipped out as soon as it arrives.

Jason H.

Actually I thought of a question that I'd like get info on. How is the RED program turning out? I would REALLY rather purchase my books and PDF's at my FLGS (Griffen Bookstore, South Bend, IN) And I mentioned it to one of the owners and he said that they were watching to see what would develop.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Mar 25 2010, 04:27 PM) *
Actually I thought of a question that I'd like get info on. How is the RED program turning out? I would REALLY rather purchase my books and PDF's at my FLGS (Griffen Bookstore, South Bend, IN) And I mentioned it to one of the owners and he said that they were watching to see what would develop.

That's a good question. I'll have to check with the managers to see how that's looking--though it might take some time to get to that particular matter.

Jason H.
Catadmin
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 25 2010, 08:08 AM) *
Yup. Had just gotten back from England, got myself stationed in Nebraska, and saw the original Elmore cover in November of 89 at Ground Zero Comics and Games in Bellevue. Been playing ever since.

Patrick! I didn't know that was YOU. I used to work at GZ. DOH! We knew each other for real... @=)

Hihi. Again.

Catadmin
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Mar 25 2010, 05:10 PM) *
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Mar 25 2010, 04:27 PM) *

Actually I thought of a question that I'd like get info on. How is the RED program turning out?

That's a good question. I'll have to check with the managers to see how that's looking--though it might take some time to get to that particular matter.

Jason H.

Interestingly enough, my local Borders bookstore would like to sell Shadowrun books, but are unable for whatever reason to order them. Or they say that ordering is extremely difficult. Any chance of CGL also going through main stream bookstores that show interest?
Adam
Any bookstore that deals with PSI should be able to order Shadowrun [and BattleTech and Eclipse Phase, etc] from them.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Catadmin @ Mar 25 2010, 06:05 PM) *

Jason H.

Interestingly enough, my local Borders bookstore would like to sell Shadowrun books, but are unable for whatever reason to order them. Or they say that ordering is extremely difficult. Any chance of CGL also going through main stream bookstores that show interest?

There's absolutely a chance--Barnes and Noble was prominently displaying CGL stuff for a while, and I've seen stuff in Borders before. I'm not part of that end of the business, so I don't know what the relationship with Borders has been like.

Also, what Adam said.

Jason H.
Catadmin
PSI, huh? I'll mention that to the manager... I assume that's a company name or an acronym for an ordering system?
Method
I saw quite a few SR titles at my local Barnes and Noble this weekend- mostly core books IIRC.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Adam @ Mar 25 2010, 03:38 PM) *
There are so many people in the game industry you could apply that to if you tried. wink.gif

Target Games
TSR
Avalon Hill
GDW (IIRC)
West End Games
Countless on hit wonder gaming companies (Silent Death comes to mind)
Cain
The point of the nostalgia trip was this: we're losing several longstanding contributors to Shadowrun. Mr. Hardy, as Shadowrun Line Developer, do you intend to try and reconcile with these people and get them to stay in the Shadowrun fold? I don't just mean Adam; I'm also referring to people like Ancient History and the other freelancers who are threatening to quit.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 25 2010, 09:05 PM) *
The point of the nostalgia trip was this: we're losing several longstanding contributors to Shadowrun. Mr. Hardy, as Shadowrun Line Developer, do you intend to try and reconcile with these people and get them to stay in the Shadowrun fold? I don't just mean Adam; I'm also referring to people like Ancient History and the other freelancers who are threatening to quit.

I believe you asked this one once before, and I believe I answered it. My answer is here, for reference.

Jason H.
LurkerOutThere
I'll just once again state my personal belief, the game has seen turnover before, it likely will again. As great as some of the people are the die is cast, there is an equal chance of success as failure at this point.
Cain
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Mar 25 2010, 06:47 PM) *
I believe you asked this one once before, and I believe I answered it. My answer is here, for reference.

Jason H.

My apologies, I was posting while you were and missed it.
TheGrandCrusader
Thank you Jason, for providing the insight into what's in the pipe or on the horizon.

Hey, I know it's my first post, but I've been messing around with Shadowrun ever since 2nd Edition...well, 1st too, if you count that reprint of 1st Ed I picked up second hand...anyway, I too was on the Shadowrun Archives and I remember when the Deep Resonance was Christmas colored. (One of the original Bulldrekkers, actually...I think I still owe Dvixen some time with the IPBANHAMMER...oh, hai Bull...) My point is, is that nothing ever stays the same; something comes along that puts everything in flux and creates a chaotic storm that could wipe everything out. Does it always? No, not really. I've played a bit of 2nd and 3rd Ed, both solo and with a group, and even with a GM who let us turn the Stuffer Shack into a scene out of Caligula and stuffed our Eagle Shaman into a Cyberzombie, they were really fun. I can't wait to get a few people together to try SR4A and see if we can't recapture that.

CGL may or may not make it. That's fine. I do certainly hope that in the end everyone, from the freelancers on up, gets their accounts settled and adjusted the right way. Just like when FASA shuttered, the fans will keep it alive as long as they can find people to play with and keep books in circulation, and eventually someone will pick it up and give it another try.

As long as they don't clickify it again, I'll keep playing, and that's my 2 nuyen.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (TheGrandCrusader @ Mar 25 2010, 08:55 PM) *
As long as they don't clickify it again, I'll keep playing, and that's my 2 nuyen.gif

Funny thing about that.
/me holds a candle

I am BlueMax and I was a clicky bigot. For years I scoffed at clickies. Then three years ago whilst running Shadowrun, "The Greatest and most Noble of Dave's" busted out some soda machines, trash bins , light poles , sec teams and a bunch more. My bigot self asked
"Where did you get those?"
"HeroClix. I traded rares for boxes of all the scenery and a few commons that I thought were general purpose."

Now I buy left over clickytech boxes for $3. I get a toy mech my boys can smash up (even at 6 he prefers to play regular battletech...) . Two sets of Infantry that I can pop off the clicky and then they fit into a Battletech Hex and finally a vehicle.
TWO of said vehicles make great Doc Wagon VSTOL rescue vehicles. Not to scale but fun to have around and scale looks for the right elevation.

<Ignoring silly facts like licensing>
CGL, Jason, et al. If you can make money for with the Shadowrun license and produce some high grade clickies (not like first MWDA) then please do so. Just for the love of Big D, keep something close to a normal scale?
Lets not even go into the PROFIT from a real computerized chargen tool.
</ignore>

CGL should sell anything they can thats Shadowrun. Like the dice some of us only got to see pictures of , to tshirts, mousepads and anything else they can think of. Not because this whole hoopla, because I've wanted to buy it since I had regular work and could smile.gif. And you know, selling these things at gamestores is like free advertising "What are those?" "Oh, Do you have room in your game?"....
I can't be the only Shadowrun consumer whore.

BlueMax
/wore a Federated Commonwealth badge on a bandanna
// last year of High School
/// All through Uni
//// With my build, the norms thought it was a go-gang/political movement.

The Jake
I would love some trendy SR merchandise.

Tshirts, beanies, hoodies, etc.

- J.
nemafow
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 26 2010, 04:40 PM) *

- J.

As would I
hobgoblin
QUOTE (TheGrandCrusader @ Mar 26 2010, 05:55 AM) *
My point is, is that nothing ever stays the same; something comes along that puts everything in flux and creates a chaotic storm that could wipe everything out. Does it always? No, not really.

plus ca change wink.gif
wusselpompf
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 26 2010, 06:40 AM) *

- J.

like this?
http://www.pegasus.de/runner_gear.html

don't know if they ship overseas though

edit:
these are the countries they ship to:
http://www.spreadshirt.de/hilfe-C1328/cate...7/articleId/542
Cergorach
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 26 2010, 01:35 AM) *
Target Games
TSR
Avalon Hill
GDW (IIRC)
West End Games
Countless on hit wonder gaming companies (Silent Death comes to mind)

Silent Death was produced by I.C.E. and is still around, they still produce the game and it's miniatures.

Target Games is part of a long line of failures.
Stahlseele
What about aprils fools/Battlerun2?
emouse
QUOTE (Catadmin @ Mar 26 2010, 12:05 AM) *

I noticed recently that Shadowrun and Battletech books have completely disappeared from the Borders web site. One of the local stores has a copy of Eclipse Phase on the shelf, but that store is also managed by a guy I know who's more aware of gaming than the average store manager. I'm wondering if they had some sort of change in supplier?
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (wusselpompf @ Mar 26 2010, 11:20 AM) *
like this?
http://www.pegasus.de/runner_gear.html

don't know if they ship overseas though

edit:
these are the countries they ship to:
http://www.spreadshirt.de/hilfe-C1328/cate...7/articleId/542

Nice stuff, but I'm not sure the "Wir sind ihre Losung" Ares t-shirt is entirely safe to wear grinbig.gif
Blade
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 26 2010, 06:40 AM) *

- J.

If all goes well, you might get an unofficial 2011 Shadowrun-themed naked calendar.
OneTrikPony
QUOTE (Blade @ Mar 26 2010, 11:31 AM) *
If all goes well, you might get an unofficial 2011 Shadowrun-themed naked calendar.

That would Be AWESOME!
We could have Bull as miss January
Cain as miss February
Good ol' Fisty4.0 as miss March (He's Dreamy!)
Synner's kinda back he could be miss May...
We really need to talk Frank into comming back so he could do the christmas spread. love.gif

...Wait. I guess technicly that would be a naked Dumpshock calender not a naked Shadowrun calender.
But its a Good Idea we should do it any way.
Blade
Actually, the French Shadowrun community is already working on one.

But please do, the more naked Shadowrun calendar, the better.
Grinder
QUOTE (OneTrikPony @ Mar 26 2010, 05:47 PM) *

My eyes! The goggles do nothing! wobble.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (Blade @ Mar 26 2010, 04:31 PM) *

Will it be necessary to have eye-bleach handy?
Fezig
QUOTE (Blade @ Mar 26 2010, 08:54 AM) *

But please do, the more naked Shadowrun calendar, the better.

My eyes! The goggles do nothing! wobble.gif

And the award for best use of a Radioactive Man quote goes to?....GRINDER!!!

That was very well done.
Nath
QUOTE (Blade @ Mar 26 2010, 05:54 PM) *
March 2010, the US/Global Shadowrun community on Dumpshock Forums is anxiously waiting for news about the ongoing crisis at Catalyst Game Labs and the future of the Shadowurn game line.

March 2010, the French Shadowrun community on Shadowforums is designing a Shadowrun themed naked calendar.

wusselpompf
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 26 2010, 04:13 PM) *
Nice stuff, but I'm not sure the "Wir sind ihre Losung" Ares t-shirt is entirely safe to wear grinbig.gif

you're probably right ^^
Endroren
QUOTE (Nath @ Mar 26 2010, 02:06 PM) *
March 2010, the US/Global Shadowrun community on Dumpshock Forums is anxiously waiting for news about the ongoing crisis at Catalyst Game Labs and the future of the Shadowurn game line.

March 2010, the French Shadowrun community on Shadowforums is designing a Shadowrun themed naked calendar.

France FTW smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (OneTrikPony @ Mar 26 2010, 11:47 AM) *
Good ol' Fisty4.0 as miss March (He's Dreamy!)

...Wait. I guess technicly that would be a naked Dumpshock calender not a naked Shadowrun calender.

I think I'll hold out for July. Everyone knows that's where the real quality is. Nice to see ya' back Jess.
Grinder
QUOTE (Fezig @ Mar 26 2010, 06:47 PM) *
And the award for best use of a Radioactive Man quote goes to?....GRINDER!!!

That was very well done.

Thank you very much. smile.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (wusselpompf @ Mar 26 2010, 07:20 PM) *
you're probably right ^^

Why? Ô.ô
SecGuard
I've always said the french have the best ideas.
Bull
I... I don't know what to say, beyond... No. No calender. No Naked Shadowrun calender. No Naked DUmpshock Calender;. Especially one involving ME! smile.gif

Haven't Shadowrun Fans had enough trauma the last few weeks? smile.gif

Bull
Bob Lord of Evil
Nostalgia: 1989 was a very good year and marked my entry into SR gaming. Names like Sam Lewis, Tom Dowd, Tara Gallagher, Nigel D. Findley (RIP), Paul Hume, Carl Sargent, Steve Kenson, and Mike Mulvihill...great people (some of whom I was fortunate enough to meet and one whom I am actually friends with) who breathed life into the Sixth World.

Moving on from nostalgia...

I would like to thank Jason for answering questions in such a forthright manner. Personally, I refuse to speculate on the situation as I have no facts to do so with any degree of authority.

Very important to me though is to state my belief that the people who work on Shadowrun (and all the games at CGL) do so with great passion and a desire to provide an outstanding product. As impersonal as the web is, it is all too easy to forget that all of these individuals are flesh and blood souls that are affected by the fiscal stability of CGL. I remember, very vividly, the anxiety when a company that I worked for went under.

How soon will I find another job?
How am I going to make the mortgage payment?
What happens if I get sick?
Do I answer the phone...what if it is a bill collector...what do I tell them?

Right now, these people are scrambling to save not just Shadowrun but their livelihood. I want them to succeed...not just as a fan of a game...but as a fellow member of the human race.

Another unsung hero (in my book) is Bull, a steady fixture in Shadowrun who has devoted much time and effort.

PS: I am sure that there are many other unsung heros and the fact that your names escape my memory is either the result of Mad Cow Disease or senility. biggrin.gif
Bob Lord of Evil
Naked Shadowrun calendar...hmmmmm...

Should I power up Carrara and get to work???
Ancient History
For anybody that missed it.

I'm kinda put out, since PACKS was my baby - and by the fact that I originated the concept in the first place - but we shall see what we shall see.
Stahlseele
What does PACKS mean? O.o
Ice Hammer
Personally, I would be happy if, should they need to scale things back due to cost, they just release the GM screen. The other things listed on the sell sheet are nice, but to me, they don't seem to be as helpful as a new GM screen, compatible with and includes the rules for the Anniversary Edition. And then, perhaps in a future release, and once things calm back down, release the other extras as the 'Runner Toolkit.' Just a thought...
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 26 2010, 08:47 PM) *
What does PACKS mean? O.o

Pre-generated Auxiliary Character and Kit System. Tools where the number crunching has been done so you can easily generate PCs and NPCs.

Jason H.
Ancient History
Which, y'know, I sort of came up with from square one.
Stahlseele
This does sound suspiciously like encounter tables/random encounters . . . and like a metric shit ton of work to get it right in shadowrun too x.x
OneTrikPony
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Mar 26 2010, 02:43 PM) *
I think I'll hold out for July. Everyone knows that's where the real quality is. Nice to see ya' back Jess.

Thanks man.

My timeing is impecable. It's Dejavu. This exact thing happened to me when FASA closed. I got pissy about something, ignored shadowrun for months showed up on dumpshock, two weeks later FASA made the announcement. I got pissy ignored shadowrun for months showed up on dumpshock Catalyst is financially fucked. I'm like some harbinger of DOOM. Now I just need to find out how to use this power for good. Does anyone have a link for the DnD boards? devil.gif

Since I'm here I have a question:
Does Freelancers include artists? We know the game has lost some core writers which artists are we never going to see in shadowrun books again (assuming there are any more.)

Also: I'd like it it some one could speculate about what these events might do to the actual game. Assuming that the game continues to be published who's left and who is likely to return and what do we know about their general agendas and attitudes for the metaplot? These kind of corporate shenanigans change the game.

When FASA closed we lost Mike Mulvihil (sp?) and we gained Rob and, eventually Adam. Which led to SR4 and the wireless matrix--A good thing-- and a fucked up vehicle combat system that is way to simple--a bad thing, less emphasis on IE's and harlequin--A Really good thing--and Technomancers--a weren't the otaku magic enough for you?! thing.

Now. We've lost Adam forever and Ancienthistory (probably for ever) and other people who were steering the plot in a certain direction. Personally I'm worried that if Catalyst retains the rights they'll pull from their pool of giant robot freaks to fill gaps. At least when FASA closed there were shadowrun people waiting to pick up the gauntlet. [edit]Not that I'm forgetting about Bull and JM H[/edit]
The direction the plot takes and the professional layout and art are the things that will determine if I keep spending money on the game.

It would be nice to see a role-call from writers who intend to keep writing for the game. So far I think I've only seen two and one of them is new.

Who is driving this boat and where is it going?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012