Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restored: CGL Discussion THread Part 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
LurkerOutThere
...and run the risk of being blackballed if found in edition to just being dishonest scum. Personally I've been under some pretty scary NDA's some of which for the government or "Real Job" contractors. However the basic unit of trust is that as a person that values my word and the value therein it is contrary to my beliefs to violate that word and post confidential material. Just as I wouldn't appreciate it if someone leaked private correspondance of mine I wouldn't do it to others.
Fatum
QUOTE (OneTrikPony @ Mar 27 2010, 06:05 AM) *
Actually the PACKS was the only thing that had me interested in the GM screen. I've never bought one before. Anything that saves the GM from the usually massive amount of work it takes to do the job is a really good investment

If the problem is that big for you, I have a bot that makes quick and dirty stat lines for NPCs - and I could add pretty much anything else to it if anyone actually used it.
KnightRunner
QUOTE (emouse @ Mar 27 2010, 02:04 PM) *
Battletech and Shadowrun = free money. No publicly owned corp is going to give up free money.

This is simply just not true. It seems logical and obvious, but the truth is that companies pass on "free" money all the time. Especially when the amount of "free" money is too small (relatively) for them to mess with. Sometimes they do this for good reasons and sometimes they do it just because they can. The larger the company, the more prevalent such things become. I know I sound cynical, but that does not invalidate my point. Now keep in mind, I am not saying they WILL react this way. I am just saying that they COULD. Mostly likely without a second thought. I can only imagine the number of IP's that are collecting dust in corporate portfolios Even though many of them could be licensed for "free" money.

On an side note. There is no such thing as free money. Topps would have to invest in the contract negotiations as well as accept a certain amount of liability. As shown by the previously mentioned law suit.

Companies do cost-benefit analysis all the the time. And Mr. or Mrs. Corporate VP in charge of things that start with the letter "S" could very easily say, "I don't want to mess with this, when there are other things on my plate that will make me look much better in the eyes of my superiors."
OneTrikPony
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 27 2010, 03:48 PM) *
If the problem is that big for you, I have a bot that makes quick and dirty stat lines for NPCs - and I could add pretty much anything else to it if anyone actually used it.

By stat lines do you mean Atributes Skills, Gear and Cyber/Magic, or just Atributes?

I've allready got Pedestrians of every race to which I can add gear packages, skill packages, cyber packages and a shamanic or hermetic package to make an NPC that fills a certain role based on common archetypes and with a known BP cost. Im just asumeing thats what PACKS are but AH's concept might be something entirely diferent.

The utility for me is that if I needed to pull a character out of my ass I was allready familiar with the basic components and the best way to use them as opponents or aids to the party. It worked really well because once you get enough packages complete the permutation is large enough that the players never face npc clones but I was fully tuned into the NPC with out building something entirely custom. Last thing I was working on was organization so I could just drop each component into a table on an npc sheet that took up about a quarter page.

[edit] the reason i was interested in PACKS was that it's allways good to have new components and I wanted to see how they were built by official SR people.[/edit]

@ AH: If JM re-writes your PACKS does that mean you'll be free at some point to release the ones you wrote?
Ancient History
<shrug> I'm free to do so right now if I really, really want to. However, I was going to wait for CGL to fold and then sell the draft to the next company.
fistandantilus4.0
OneTrik is the only person that I've asked to provide a character sheet and was handed a disc. Best. Character. Ever.

Oh, next time, I presume it will be in full page linked pdf. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Randall Bills)
Hello all,

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Randall Bills and for the last several years I’ve been serving as Catalyst's Creative Manager.

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, Catalyst has hit a few stumbling blocks under the weight of its dramatic growth over the last several years. As I’ve become the face of the current situation, I felt you all deserved a look at the current situation and some details regarding the steps Catalyst is taking to get all freelancer payments caught up so we can move forward.

If you’ve not yet seen the press release I posted last week to www.catalystgamelabs.com, feel free to take a moment to check it out. I wanted to provide some further details.

On Monday March 15th, the Catalyst team delivered our review of the business for 2009 to the pertinent parties. Over the last several years, Catalyst Game Labs has showed a dramatic growth in terms of demand, increased total revenues and strong sales with an increasing market share in the gaming industry. A huge portion of the credit for that goes to you, the freelancers. After all, without your passion and dedication, there would be no books, no games, no Catalyst.

That growth has not come without its obstacles, however, and by Q4 of 2009 the Catalyst Managers acknowledged that a co-mingling of funds between the personal and business had occurred involving the company’s primary shareholders, the Colemans. We immediately initiated an audit of the company's historical financial records, and designed a comprehensive plan to get Catalyst's production and payments back on schedule. This process took some three months of very long days, and was overseen by our Bookkeeper and Operations Manager, in conjunction with the Colemans.

With the completion of the audit it is clear that the breadth of what occurred was significant, and would require extensive changes to correct. A detailed plan was outlined for changing the organization of the company, as well as many procedures to establish a strong financial oversight and series of checks and balances to ensure this doesn’t happen again in the future. It also included a proposal for how the Colemans will begin paying back the money involved. All of those detailed findings and action plans were delivered to the pertinent parties on the 15th of March as a key step in our efforts to move forward with full disclosure and transparency. A series of discussions are currently underway on how best to proceed.

Last week, while in the process of drafting announcements for the public, as well as our vendors (distributors, printers and so on), licensors (i.e., Topps), Catalyst freelancers, and so on, some information was leaked to the public (and, as is the way of such things, immediately took on a life of its own). Obviously I was forced to deal with that leaking of information and am just now reaching a point where I can be drafting information to share with our freelancers.

There are several critical concerns (in no particular order) that Catalyst is moving to address ASAP.
    1. Re-organizing and re-structuring to prevent this situation from occurring again.
    2. Finalizing a plan for how the Colemans can repay the money owed to Catalyst.
    3. Ensuring the continuity of license with Topps concerning Shadowrun and BattleTech.
    4. Finding additional sources of revenue in the short term to help start paying down various debts (including monies owed to all of you).
    5. Working with Posthuman (Eclipse Phase) and WildFire (CthulhuTech) to determine if they still wish to work alongside Catalyst. If they do not, we’ll make every effort to spin those games off to those respective companies in a way that will best ensure future growth.

We’re moving as fast as we can in an attempt to address those primary concerns (as well as many others). However, this process simply is taking time … and will continue to take time heading into the future.

Some of you have already expressed your inability to be patient with Catalyst as we try and find solutions, and I completely understand your frustration. That frustration was mirrored by several Catalyst full-time employees who felt they simply could not continue with Catalyst after all that has occurred, including Jennifer Harding (Office Manager and Bookkeeper), Dave Stansel (Operation Manager) and Adam Jury (Head of Graphic Design), all of whom have formally left the company. We’re already moving to try to find appropriate people to take on their work and responsibilities. Though I wish their decisions might have been different—as they’re incredibly valuable to what Catalyst has been able to accomplish—I cannot fault them for the choices they’ve made. I’ve worked with them in various capacities for a long time and consider them good friends. I wish them well and hope we’ll have a chance to work together again some time in the future.

During all of this, my decision-making process has been called into question. After all, how can I accept what’s happened? Why are the Colemans still involved at Catalyst if these events occurred? Usually I would have reservations about sharing such personal thoughts. However, since I’m asking for each of you to decide if you’re willing to allow Catalyst some time to address this situation, I feel it only appropriate to give you my thought process so each of you can make up your own mind.

1. Catalyst would not be enjoying its current level of success without Loren’s strategic thinking, or without the connections he’s forged in our industry. We started as a small, internet hobby company in 2003 and only officially formed Catalyst three years ago. Yet as of last Gen Con we “stole the show” and are considered one of the “up-and-coming big boys.” While Catalyst is far more than a single person and is very much a team effort (including all of you), Loren’s contributions have been crucial.
    2. Would Catalyst survive if the Colemans were no longer involved? Yes, I believe it would. However, I believe that despite the horrific mistakes made, we will heal faster by keeping Loren involved as part of Catalyst’s ongoing strategic thinking. Last week that belief received a huge chorus of support when we contacted and/or were contacted by numerous people in the industry, including three titans of the industry (I’m not at liberty to share their names to this large of a group without asking their permission). Each of those three were given a blunt (albeit very brief) synopsis of what occurred, and yet each still pledged their support to Loren and me in helping move forward (both in the incredible business savvy they possess that made them titans, but also in potential revenues to bring to the company). Furthermore, two of these people are intimately familiar with Topps and with their strong advice in our pocket we’ve already approached Topps. Without getting into details we told Topps of our financial issues and made our case that despite those mistakes we have been fantastic in protecting and expanding the BattleTech and Shadowrun brands and that we are still the best possible stewards of those brands. Topps liked our attitude and appreciated our bluntness and we’re setting up a face-to-face meeting in NY, following the GAMA Trade Show this week, to present a plan for how to move forward with securing those all-important licenses.
    3. I believe the best possible way to incentivize someone is to create a recipe for success. Excessively punishing and kicking someone to the curb does not incentivize anyone. Keeping someone involved in the process and invested in seeing Catalyst succeed so they can succeed is a far better path for all involved (and one I’ve seen succeed time and time again at all levels of business).
    4. I’m not the only one that has seen and believes in the points above. If all the mangers, employees and investors of Catalyst had lined up in opposition to my thoughts and opinions as outlined above, then I very much believe I would’ve backed away, feeling that my decisions were compromised. However, while some have left and/or decided they can no longer work with Catalyst, we still have a very strong team of investors, managers, employees and freelancers that supports the overall direction of trying to deal with what’s occurred while finding ways to move forward.
    5. Considering how long I’ve been involved, and how much blood, sweat and tears I’ve given for Catalyst, I’ve seen a lot of “How can Randall continue to work with Loren?” I’ve obviously known the Colemans for a very, very long time and been involved intimately with the company from the day the idea was born 8 years ago. And after reviewing everything and doing some massive soul searching, I’ve made a personal decision that this was a terrible, terrible series of mistakes; I bear my own weight of guilt in this in that I didn’t pay better attention to the various red flags raised over the years that something wasn’t right. More importantly, I see in the Colemans every indication I need to see in order to make forgiveness seem appropriate. This falls into a “very personal” category, but it’s key to my point of view and if you’re trying to understand my decisions, it’s important you know this. While I may not be the usual image of an LDS church member that comes to most people’s mind, my faith is a bedrock; it is the only reason I’ve survived the stress of the last several months and especially last week. But if I see a person genuinely sorrowful over a mistake (regardless of the size of those mistakes), and see that same person trying hard to make the mistakes right, I personally have to forgive them. Just as this as been the most difficult personal and professional crises of my career, it has been one of the most difficult for my faith, as the rage has had to give way to compassion and forgiveness. Please note, however, that this point is 100% a personal decision, one that deals with whether I can keep a personal relationship with the Colemans. If none of the other points above existed, then I would’ve asked Loren to completely step away from the company and he and I would’ve solved our issues in private. However, those very points are exactly why I’ve stated I believe the Colemans should still intimately be involved with the company (though a host of checks and balance are in the process of being put into place) and why I can set aside my own personal anger and disappointment to try and move forward in what I believe is the best possible way to save the company and to save the games we all love to work on.

I apologize for the length of the email and for the incredibly personal nature of it, but I felt it warranted. Ultimately each of you will need to ask yourselves whether you can still trust Catalyst to treat with you fairly and to pay the debts owed you, while ensuring that such debts do not pile up for the future. We’ve laid strong groundwork to do just that over the last week and GTS this week will give us the opportunity to further cements those plans.

We are also in the process of bringing on a new Bookkeeper who will continue the plan laid out by our previous Bookkeeper to send each of you a thorough audit of what our books show. This will allow us to ensure we’re not missing any work by anyone and will help us build a plan for how to start reducing the debt owed to each of you. However, the original plan called for that to go out by the end of March, but with the changing of the Bookkeeper that’s going to need to be middle to end of April.

I hope each of you will be willing to bear with us during this crisis and give us the chance to make this right. However, if you feel you cannot, I completely understand and of course wish you well. More importantly, even if you feel you cannot do future work for us, of course we still will work to pay the debts owed to you.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Randall N. Bills
Managing Developer
Catalyst Game Labs

Take home message: Randall Bills believes that he has a sign from a personal god that massive amounts of fraud is somehow OK because it will all work out somehow. We can all sit and ponder that for a moment, but basically it looks like Randall is not an incredibly rational person, and he would not be someone I would ask to judge character or make long range important decisions. Personal gods have a distinct tendency to advise people to hate the people the disciple already hates and trust the people the disciple already trusts.

Take home message two: Yes, it's that bad.

Take home message three: while Catalyst has had huge piles of money taken out of it by the guy nominally running the store, and the second in command says that theft should not be punished and is trying to guide the company with a literal ouja board in his head - it's important to remember that Shadowrun is not Catalyst. CGL is just a company, and if they are trying to use Christianesque name-it-and-take-it sorcery to avoid criminal charges of fraud, that doesn't actually mean that anything is wrong with the game. The License still belongs to Topps, and in two months they can lease it to someone who isn't trying to transform criminally negligent red ink into black with prayer.

-Frank
Stahlseele
Say about our dear old Frankie-Boy what you want, but he usually has the paydata . .
Abschalten
Re: Frank's post:

AhahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, now I really cannot wait for CGL to crater. I'm MORE pissed off now. I guess I need to go pray on this. rotfl.gif

And here's to hoping the Colemans enjoy some time in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison. (One can dream, right?)
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 27 2010, 02:52 PM) *
Say about our dear old Frankie-Boy what you want, but he usually has the paydata . .

There's an appropriate quote from the Big Lebowski somewhere...
FrankTrollman
The thing I think that everyone should pay attention to is the fact that the people charged with setting up the repayment plan with Loren Coleman and his wife were... Dave Stansel and Jennifer Harding. Remember how 5 days after being given the task of working with the Colemans to get the company's money back they both quit over ethical violations?

For those of you keeping track at home: that means that Loren Coleman still has all the money, no one is working on a repayment plan, and the only people who have seen the numbers who didn't quit in disgust are having their morale bolstered by the sock puppet of a loving Jesus.

-Frank
kzt
QUOTE (emouse @ Mar 27 2010, 12:04 PM) *
Battletech and Shadowrun = free money. No publicly owned corp is going to give up free money. How much effort does Topps have to put into it? Take the checks to the bank and sign them?

Maybe. I know someone who has a pretty good understanding of the nuts and bolts of the game business and some of the accounting idiocy stories he has told me make my head hurt. For example, You have this property called, say DD. You have a budget of 30 million dollars and have 10 products to put out this year. 4 Core books, 4 major add-ons and two modules. The 10 page modules cost about $80,000 each to to develop and print, and are expected to sell (via direct sales) 40,000 copies at $10 per. How much money will the modules bring in according to corporate accounting?

A loss of $2.6 million. Because each product is allocated 1/10 of the overhead for the division.

Hence they won't do many small products that return 500% profit....
Grexul
You're a glass half empty of piss, aren't you?

Grexul

My screenname is missing an 'x'.
Ice Hammer
This is beginning to piss me off. This letter was never meant for public distribution, and you have some [expletives deleted] taking it upon themselves to air this stuff. People should be ashamed of themselves. This isn't theirs to share, and this could concievably damage people and their careers. Unless Randall actually chose to release this, this is wrong. You have people who are just doing this out of maliciousness and spite. It's intolerble.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Mar 27 2010, 10:57 PM) *
The thing I think that everyone should pay attention to is the fact that the people charged with setting up the repayment plan with Loren Coleman and his wife were... Dave Stansel and Jennifer Harding. Remember how 5 days after being given the task of working with the Colemans to get the company's money back they both quit over ethical violations?

For those of you keeping track at home: that means that Loren Coleman still has all the money, no one is working on a repayment plan, and the only people who have seen the numbers who didn't quit in disgust are having their morale bolstered by the sock puppet of a loving Jesus.

-Frank

Say what you want, i find this sadly appropiately a pro pros for a shadowrun . .
QUOTE (Ice Hammer @ Mar 27 2010, 11:00 PM) *
This is beginning to piss me off. This letter was never meant for public distribution, and you have some [expletives deleted] taking it upon themselves to air this stuff. People should be ashamed of themselves. This isn't theirs to share, and this could concievably damage people and their careers. Unless Randall actually chose to release this, this is wrong. You have people who are just doing this out of maliciousness and spite. It's intolerble.

Information wants to be free.
Abschalten
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Mar 27 2010, 05:57 PM) *

Personally, when people make appeals of faith to me, I just feel insulted that they would expect me to get all gushy and misty-eyed over it. Maybe Randall Bills should've kept #5 to himself, but man it does make for some HILARIOUS reading.

"I'm ignoring theft, betrayal, and allowing the person to continue these things because JESUS SAID SO!"
Abschalten
QUOTE (Ice Hammer @ Mar 27 2010, 06:00 PM) *

Or maybe we're just pretty fucking angry and think that if it all burns down, we can build something else in its place. I think it's more intolerable that upper management for CGL are going to remain complacent and FORGIVE everything that's happened and continue to let somebody who has proven, WITH ACTIONS, that he is not fit to lead... stay in his position!
Stahlseele
*shrugs*
Look around, the world finance crysis has people losing their jobs, thier houses and their money.
And managers who are more or less responsible for all of this get huge bonus checks.
Ice Hammer
There's some information that shouldn't be out in the public spot light. It does no one any good, and it could be embarrassing. Now guess what; now that this information is out; Catalyst won't trust information to its freelancers. And I wouldn't blame them. Why bother giving even the freelancers information, when that can be used to back-stab them? This whole situation is morally dispicable, and especially how people seem to be taking joy in Catalyst's woes.
Abschalten
You're right. Catalyst was enjoying such a cozy relationship with its freelancers.
Stahlseele
So you say people should simply not know about these wrongdoings?
Nobody made him tell other people anything. If he does not want things to get out, he should keep them to himself.
Only one person can keep a secret, because as soon as you tell it someone else, a third person can find it out.
Dread Moores
QUOTE (Ice Hammer @ Mar 27 2010, 06:00 PM) *

While I may not feel quite as strongly about it as Ice Hammer, it does seem that some of the more recent posts from departing/departed freelancers have taken on a much more "personal axe to grind" feel. None of these problems were really public issues or concerns, honestly. I give serious praise to the folks who made their decisions and left quietly. No drama, no fuss, and an apparent dedication to keeping private...while private. I mean, if you're burning (or have burnt) your bridges, I guess it really doesn't matter in the end. But a number of recent posts and revelations have the feel of an larger than necessary sense of entitlement, as if the company owes the freelancers something more than the actual money. The reality is quite different. They don't owe anybody anything beyond books that were pre-ordered and payments owed to freelancers (and presumably, monies for the upcoming license renewal to Topps). Beyond that, there is absolutely nothing owed to this community or you individually as a fan, beyond the product already delivered.
Dwight
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 27 2010, 04:00 PM) *
Say what you want, i find this sadly appropiately a pro pros for a shadowrun . .

You want to put this in Shadowrun terms? If this was a 'run I'd be saying to myself "The one you have to worry about is the one you don't see." Frank burnt pretty much every bridge there ever was to burn long, long ago and still has an axe to grind, which makes him the perfect front. This is so predictably in his character he had to be the obvious one.

As for the letter itself, I've seen stuff like this before as organizations enter crisis. Odd emotions rule the roost. People end up in positions where they must make choices under extreme pressure. They'll reach for things they had come to assume were solid, even long after evidence suggests that their assumptions should no longer be trusted. *shrug* Making decisions under extreme pressure is hard to start with, not the place most%2
AHonestPerson
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Mar 27 2010, 03:06 PM) *
Or maybe we're just pretty fucking angry and think that if it all burns down, we can build something else in its place. I think it's more intolerable that upper management for CGL are going to remain complacent and FORGIVE everything that's happened and continue to let somebody who has proven, WITH ACTIONS, that he is not fit to lead... stay in his position!

meanwhile you're forgiveing a man who broke confidance to spread a confidental letter to the masses, which acheived nothing but damaged someone's reputation?

my someone's a Hipocrite.

I know I'd never wanna employ Frank Trollman in ANY capacity, hope those wellfare checks are worth it frank
Dread Moores
Edited: Removed by user, due to more unnecessary drama and vitriol being contributed to a place that doesn't need anymore.
Stahlseele
Frank is how one has to imagine Enemy Level 3 i guess.
Even if he is half way across the world and doing something more or less completely different, he STILL has his ways to make himself felt.
QUOTE (AHonestPerson @ Mar 27 2010, 11:20 PM) *
meanwhile you're forgiveing a man who broke confidance to spread a confidental letter to the masses, which acheived nothing but damaged someone's reputation?

my someone's a Hipocrite.

I know I'd never wanna employ Frank Trollman in ANY capacity, hope those wellfare checks are worth it frank

Frank is not on wellfare by any means.
Centurion13
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Mar 27 2010, 09:35 PM) *
Take home message: Randall Bills believes that he has a sign from a personal god that massive amounts of fraud is somehow OK because it will all work out somehow. We can all sit and ponder that for a moment, but basically it looks like Randall is not an incredibly rational person, and he would not be someone I would ask to judge character or make long range important decisions. Personal gods have a distinct tendency to advise people to hate the people the disciple already hates and trust the people the disciple already trusts.

Take home message two: Yes, it's that bad.

Take home message three: while Catalyst has had huge piles of money taken out of it by the guy nominally running the store, and the second in command says that theft should not be punished and is trying to guide the company with a literal ouja board in his head - it's important to remember that Shadowrun is not Catalyst. CGL is just a company, and if they are trying to use Christianesque name-it-and-take-it sorcery to avoid criminal charges of fraud, that doesn't actually mean that anything is wrong with the game. The License still belongs to Topps, and in two months they can lease it to someone who isn't trying to transform criminally negligent red ink into black with prayer.

-Frank

Take home message number one is a misinterpretation by a guy who is not personally involved and has no religious leanings. Fine. You have your strong points and I am inclined to agree with most of what you've said. You go too far on this, however. To call Mr. Bills 'not incredibly rational' after noting his religious leanings is to suggest the two have a connection. However, this lowers the same shabby gun on him that folks everywhere are aiming at you, Frank. I think those folks are wrong to do that to you, and I think you are wrong to do it to Randall Bills.

You overstepped on this one; don't poison the well. I don't think any of us wants this place to become another Internet Infidels.

Take home message two: I concur. The language alone warrants this conclusion.

Take home message three: Frank, really, what do you want us to do? Stop buying the product because it is contaminated with Christian cooties? Shun the writers and creators because they go to Temple on Sundays?

Geez, do you have any idea what a minority you 'rational' fellows really are? Your reliance on random acts of evolutionary progress requires just as much faith as that LDS fellow employs every day. You are descending into a froth and losing what I respect about you - your ability to stand back and give folks an analysis of the actual state of affairs.

Ease up, fella.
Centurion13
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Mar 27 2010, 10:04 PM) *
Personally, when people make appeals of faith to me, I just feel insulted that they would expect me to get all gushy and misty-eyed over it. Maybe Randall Bills should've kept #5 to himself, but man it does make for some HILARIOUS reading.

"I'm ignoring theft, betrayal, and allowing the person to continue these things because JESUS SAID SO!"

Hey, it's a better reason than some folks have. I have to deal with my son's doing things because... wait for it... he's bored.

Cent13
Dwight
QUOTE (Centurion13 @ Mar 27 2010, 03:25 PM) *
Your faith in random acts of evolutionary progress requires just as much faith as that LDS fellow employs every day.

Did you actually just decide to go there???? frown.gif That is the place of illogical rants, general silliness, and stone-dead threads.

extinguish.gif extinguish.gif extinguish.gif extinguish.gif extinguish.gif
Stahlseele
*Fire in the hole!*
Centurion13
QUOTE (Dwight @ Mar 27 2010, 10:17 PM) *
You want to put this in Shadowrun terms? If this was a 'run I'd be saying to myself "The one you have to worry about is the one you don't see." Frank burnt pretty much every bridge there ever was to burn long, long ago and still has an axe to grind, which makes him the perfect front. This is so predictably in his character he had to be the obvious one.

As for the letter itself, I've seen stuff like this before as organizations enter crisis. Odd emotions rule the roost. People end up in positions where they must make choices under extreme pressure. They'll reach for things they had come to assume were solid, even long after evidence suggests that their assumptions should no longer be trusted. *shrug* Making decisions under extreme pressure is hard to start with, not the place most people are willing to increase the uncertainty by discarding past assumptions. Obviously I'm reading between the lines but that's the sense I'm coming away with.

P.S. Some people describe their decisions in terms of "faith", it's still their decision and I don't think that really is either here nor there. I'm a little disgusted that Bill's religious faith is being dragged into this argument in the manner that Frank is doing.

Amen to all of that. Thank you for summing that up.

Cent13
Centurion13
QUOTE (Dwight @ Mar 27 2010, 10:28 PM) *
Did you actually just decide to go there???? frown.gif That is the place of illogical rants, general silliness, and dead threads.

extinguish.gif extinguish.gif extinguish.gif extinguish.gif extinguish.gif

Huh. Well, he seemed to be writing as though it weren't self-evident, and as if it placed him on some sort of higher ground.

I mean, who the hell is Frank Trollman? Really? He's no better than me - a spectator who hasn't a nickel's worth of anything involved here, and what's he doing? Running another man into the ground. And for what? Because he's bored? When Frank comes up with information and observations that look like they have been carefully considered, I am all eyes and ears. But to see him try to claim Righteousness?

Pass.

I think your previous post said it all, but damn, Frank's goin' off the deep end.

Nemo
Looks like an perfect example of the Peter Principle on Part of Randall Bills.
SecGuard
Whats the Peter Principle?

The letter, as it was only for the freelancers effected by this mess, should have remained private.

Redjack
This thread was locked to allow the moderators time to discuss the content and impacts. A majority has elected to restore the thread, but we do have concerns about several violations of the TOS.

QUOTE (TOS)
1. Personal attacks, flaming, trolling, and baiting are prohibited. This includes any form of racism, sexism or religious intolerance.

While the posting of the letter was not a violation of that TOS, numerous personal attacks, as well as the attacks on religion were. Administrative warnings are being distributed for those attacks. In one or more cases, the culmination of administrative warnings has generated a board suspension.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Mar 18 2010, 03:06 PM) *
It was, and still is, figured that whoever came forward would have a very real chance of having their account banned, of being lambasted as a traitor, of never being trusted to write for Shadowrun again (even if the problems get addressed), and so on.

So, basically, that's what happend in the end.
Redjack
Frank is not banned, heck, if he had steered clear of the religious attacks he would actually be in the clear right now.
Stahlseele
Hey thanks for bringing this back Redjack! ^^
What, Frank is not banned? O.o
I'd have figured it'd be done by now.
Also, on rpg.net he said his account was suspended till 2037 i think . .
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Redjack @ Mar 28 2010, 03:36 PM) *
Frank is not banned, heck, if he had steered clear of the religious attacks he would actually be in the clear right now.

Thanks for clearing that up – sadly, AH hasn't been quite this fortunate elsewhere.
Dumori
I have to say franks religious attacks where not as bad in my eyes as the one brought up after his statements though he could have eased off on his tone.
Redjack
All personal attacks are still under review. We are not done dealing with the aftershocks. The only thing I can say is 'please play nice'. I hate having to deal with warnings, I'd rather be posting in my pbp games when online...

To be clear, Frank's account was initially locked to allow the moderation staff time to pow-wow. Sometimes the 'instant' nature of the Internet causes a chain of events that might be a little different in the meat world... But hey, Shadowrunners of all people know that dealing with the Matrix changes the rules a little.
Method
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 28 2010, 06:48 AM) *
Also, on rpg.net he said his account was suspended till 2037 i think . .
IIRC (Redjack can correct me if I'm wrong) but the mods sometimes lock an account until some ridiculous arbitrary date (like 2037) just as an indicator that it needs to be reviewed. If it was til Sept 2010, people would assume judgement passed and not give it a second thought.
Stahlseele
ah i see
Dr.Rockso
I appreciate having the thread restored, but wouldn't it make sense to keep it locked? The discussion has moved to the the 3rd thread and having one of these things to keep track of is more than enough.
Caine Hazen
As was stated, we have a new thread for this here. We're leaving this in place and locking it to avoid bloat on the DB and to keep it on one thread like we asked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012