Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maximum possible Initiative?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Moonstone Spider
Let's see, Night one with Exceptional Attribute: Quickness and Exceptional Attribute: Intelligence gives me a reaction of 14. Actually I wonder if the NSRCG is wrong there, it seems high to me.

Anyway Add Reaction booster 6 and Move by Wire 4 (Deltaware, of course).

Initiative is now 24 + 4d6.

Add in Small Unit Tactics 8 (Skills rarely, if ever get higher), on average get 4 additional points. Add in a battletac computer at rating 8 to get an additional 4 points average.

Initiative is now 22 + 4d6.

Add in a quickened Improve Cybered Reaction spell with 10 successes.

Initiative is now 32 + 4d6

Have I missed anything?
mfb
drugs.
Fortune
Suprathyroid Gland and Enhanced Articulation for +2 more to Reaction.
Centurion
I always wondered...how much stuff can a character cram into themselves before the GM just decides their nervous system/heart just up and explodes?
Large Mike

About six points of essence worth.

Although, roleplaying that 'he's so jacked up he can catch a raindrop in a hurricane' feeling is great. I mean, you know how pissed off you get when old people fill up a staircase in front of you going real slow? Imagine what that would be like to someone that lives their lives at six times the speed? And traffic jams? This is probably why the 2060s are so dangerous.
Moonwolf
Problems with this.

a) MBW is not compatible with ANY reaction or initiative boosting cyberware. This includes reaction enhancers.

b)Suprathyroid is not compatible with MBW. Says so in M&M, in the cyberware and bioware compatibilty section.

c) 10 sucesses? HAHAHA. How in hell do you ever get 10 sucesses at TN 21(The actual max result you can get with tech)?
toturi
Add the Reaction Enhancers level 1 first. Then cast the Enhanced Cyber Reaction spell as a tatoo and quicken. Tada! Then add the rest of the gang.
RedmondLarry
And 10 successes only gives +5 to Reaction.

It doesn't appear you actually added in the Small Unit Tactics.
Diesel
Haha, you can have as high an init you want if you're the GM, bee-itches!
Cain
Initiative is now 32 + 4d6

Is that all?

Let me see, somewhere around here I have my prototype speed sammie. He's technically a legal starting character, too; let me upgrade him a bit to get more speed.

Night One with Exceptional Attribute: Quickness and Bonus Attribute point, as well as Intelligence 6. Base reaction of 7 + 1d6, before any augmentation.

We add Genetech to increase the maximum for Quickness, then add Muscle Toner 4, Suprathyroid, and Enhanced Articulation. We now have a Quickness of 14, Int of 8, for a base reaction of 11, plus 1 for EA and 1 for the suprathyroid. For laughs, we'll add an adrenal gland; the quickness boost doesn't count, but the +4 reaction does.

We have a base reaction of 17 without adding a single piece of cyber. Let's fix that. We'll give him used alpha Wired 3, and used alpha Reaction Enhancer 6, for a reaction bonus of 12. We're at 29 + 4d6.

Minus the cerebral booster, we're actually discussing a legal starting character. Let's start adding karma. Our sammie can go up to an Intelligence of 9 and a Quickness of 15. After spending enough karma to get that, we have a reaction of 30. Now, we'll add in the Small Unit Tactics skill, with 8 assumed successes for an additional +4 initiative; and we add the Increased Cybered reaction spell with 10 successes for an additional +5. We have an initiative of 39 + 4d6.

To really reach insane speeds, we should add kamikaze, cram, and Jazz. However, for the sake of sanity, I'm leaving them out. 39 + 4d6 is plenty fast.

I can top even that, but not with anything resembling a legal starting character. A human adept at Initiate Grade 60 could have a Quickness of 60, plus Improved Reflexes 3, and an Intelligence of 9, resulting in an initiative of 41 + 4d6. It's one hell of an expensive one-trick pony, but it's possible.
Siege
If you mainline Kamikaze, Cram and Jazz at the same time, I'd insist someone roll for spontaneous heart implosion. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Centurion
QUOTE (Large Mike)
About six points of essence worth.

Although, roleplaying that 'he's so jacked up he can catch a raindrop in a hurricane' feeling is great. I mean, you know how pissed off you get when old people fill up a staircase in front of you going real slow? Imagine what that would be like to someone that lives their lives at six times the speed? And traffic jams? This is probably why the 2060s are so dangerous.

That's when they die on the operating table. I'm referring to the degrading effects on one's health over time tied more to the other attributes than essence. I mean to say you're on the street/mall/whereever with your .0000001 essense character with all the cyber functioning normally, and the body just can't handle the exertion any longer and PLOOIE. Basically, I'm arguing that with all the stress brought on your nervous system when you pass point +X intiative (regardless if you have higher than 0 essense), you've just got yourself a Borrowed time flaw.
mfb
that's when the cyberware stress rules come into play, see.
cykotek
Night One, bonus attribute and exceptional attribute quickness, exceptional int. Quick of 10, int of 7. Suprathyroid, muscle toner 4, adrenal pump, Cerebral booster 2. Now we're up to quick of 15, int of 9. That's a 12 reaction. Add in the adrenal pump bonus and enhanced articulation, as well as suprathyroid, and you've got 18. Reaction enhancers 6, boosted reflexes 3, synaptic accelerator 2, and you're now hanging out at 26+5d6. Use small unit tactics for another 4, and increased reaction spell for another 5. We're at 35 + 5d6. Then, you can boost his quickness to 15, his int to 10. Final calculation yields quickness of 20 (22 with pump), int of 12, reaction of 39 + 5d6, combat pool of 17 (with will of 1), combat pool of 20 (with a will of 6)

Total base essence cost: 4.6
Total base bio-index: 6.1 + 1.8 of neural-ware
Total base nuyen:
450,000 nuyen.gif of cyberware
290,000 nuyen.gif of bioware
310,000 nuyen.gif of neural bioware
Total Karma:
195 Karma for Quickness
81 Karma for Intelligence

Optimize route: [edited, since I forgot about using delta cyberware] Only through use of delta grade cyberware can this setup achieve a point in which the bio-index of the bioware does not exceed the "3+Essence" index. Any other grade of cyberware will require "reduce essence" and "reduce bio-index" surgery options.

For even more ridiculousness, Jazz would raise it to Q: 22 (24), I: 12, R: 40+6d6, CP: 18 - 21
Kamikaze would get you to Q: 21 (23), I: 12, R: 39+6d6, CP: 18 - 21.
Cram would get Q: 20 (22), I: 12, R: 40+6d6, CP: 17 - 20.
Kamikaze and Psyche would get Q: 21 (23), I: 13, R: 40+6d6, CP: 19 - 21
Jazz and Psyche would get Q: 22 (24), I: 13, R: 40+6d6, CP: 19 - 22
Cram and Psyche would get you Q: 20 (22), I: 13, R: 40+6d6, CP: 18 - 21

I'm not going to go into multiple drugs that enhance the same attribute.

[add]
Average initiative: 39 + (5 * 3.5) = 56.5
Max initiative: 39 + 30 = 69
Average # of actions: 6
Max actions: 7
Average intiative with jazz/psyche: 40 + (6 * 3.5) = 61
Max initiative: 76
Average actions: 7
Max Actions: 8

A move-by-wire setup would achive something ~35+5d6 before drugs. After drugs ~36+6d6, yielding an average intiative of 57, max of 72. Average number of actions on drugs will hit 8, with a max of 10 (due to extra actions after initial phases).

Also, if you want to be truly ludicrous, have a free spirit hide it's life in this person. Depending on how you interpret the wording, that means either another +(Force+Spirit Energy) to Reaction (from quickness/int bonuses), or +2x(Force+Spirit Energy) (from bonuses to quickness, int, and reaction). That, however, is going beyond the limit of "might be possible, someday, somewhere, by one guy" and into the realms of "WTF".
[/add]
Gorath
To get really fast Adept is the way. Don't forget to buy "Quick Strike" to be the first to act in one initiative pass. Together with Imp. Reflexes 3 and other Adept powers + Cyber and Bio, you will get really fast. But you need more Karma then a starting characetr wink.gif

For a starting character you could go with Imp. Reflexes 2 and Quickstrike... QUI 7, Imp, Attribute QUI, INT 6, Small Unit Tactics 6...
mfb
no cyber or bio enhancements to Rea works with Imp Ref. indirect enhancements, like those to Qui and Int, work.
cykotek
mfb: Depends on the 'ware. Certain implants (like MBW and muscle toner) say that the bonuses to quickness also increase Reaction. Others (like Adrenal Pump and Muscle Replacement) say that they don't stack. <EM>In general</EM>, bioware will indirectly increase reaction, while cyberware won't. Past that, the only incompatabilites are right in M&M.
ShadowPhoenix
don't forget the Adrenaline Surge Edge either, nothing like rerolling all those 6's for initiative biggrin.gif talk about wowzer's hella fast
Sahandrian
That edge only applies if the character has no other reaction or initiative enhancements. That includes natural benefits like the extra dice some vampiric or shapeshifter creatures get.
Fortune
QUOTE (cykotek)
mfb: Depends on the 'ware. Certain implants (like MBW and muscle toner) say that the bonuses to quickness also increase Reaction. Others (like Adrenal Pump and Muscle Replacement) say that they don't stack. <EM>In general</EM>, bioware will indirectly increase reaction, while cyberware won't. Past that, the only incompatabilites are right in M&M.

mfb is refering to the Adept Power Increase Reflexes, which is incompatable with any and all cyber/bio Reaction/Initiative enhancers.
Digital Heroin
I miss the days of being able to eek 6D6 + 34 initiative out of the system...
Zazen
There is no maximum possible initiative because someone could always learn a force 100 Increase Reaction spell, rolling successes on all 200 sorcery dice. With infinite karma and infinite time, you're looking at infinite initiative.

Also, for the guys building speed machines: don't forget to have a force 12 Voodoo spirit inhabit these super initiative machines for +12 to all physical attributes. It's only 10 karma to be a serviteur, y'know.
Wish
Well, if we're talking about theoretical maximums, there really isn't one. There's no theoretical limit on the force of a spell, and an increase reaction spell can jack reaction up through the roof. There is one trick that people are missing though (while maintaining "reasonable" numbers of dice and TNs) - make the character a mage, and Channel a spirit. Around Force 10 is reasonable (we're looking at pretty advanced characters here, by the time they lay in all that delta-ware). That adds another 10 quickness and therefore another 5 reaction.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Zazen)
someone could always learn a force 100 Increase Reaction spell
Some people think it takes years to learn a high-force spell.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (OurTeam)
QUOTE (Zazen)
someone could always learn a force 100 Increase Reaction spell
Some people think it takes years to learn a high-force spell.

And, indeed, it *can* take years to learn a high-force spell, as each failed attempt to learn it takes a number of days equal to the force of the spell. Even with a Sorcery of 100 and enough spell pool/karma pool/elemental dice to double it, your probability of getting a TN100 on 200 dice is still so very small as to be functionally impossible. Each attempt to learn that spell takes 100 days. How does that spell, then, *not* take years to learn? Millenia, even? (the single die probability for TN 100 is about 3.54x10^-13)

Now, this *is* just a discussion about theoretical maximums.. but I contend that it would, on average, take longer than the duration of the current cycle of magic to successfully learn a force 100 spell, making it actually impossible to do (rolling 200 dice every 100 days for 5000 years still only raises the likihood of any single roll matching TN 100 to a little over 1/1,000,000).

LoseAsDirected
Human with an Intelligence of 9, running on a deck with 3 points of reaction, a reality filter, running pure DNI.

Init 9 + 6d6 - Max of 45.
Zazen
Each attempt to learn that spell takes 100 days. How does that spell, then, *not* take years to learn? Millenia, even? (the single die probability for TN 100 is about 3.54x10^-13)

People do win the lottery. It happens.

So please note that my theoretical super-speed character made his roll (which is TN 200, BTW) on the very first try! wink.gif
LoseAsDirected
People win the lottery because millions of people play the lottery, which greatly increases the chances of the correct numbers being chosen.

Millions of people aren't trying to learn a Force 100 spell.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Zazen)
So please note that my theoretical super-speed character made his roll (which is TN 200, BTW) on the very first try! wink.gif

Indeed he did, and indeed the TN is 200 (Even better!!!)

Interesting idea for an edge:

Impossibly lucky bastard 50 or 100 pts

The character with this edge manages in some small way to manipulate destiny to his advantage. He can automatically succeed at any single action without having to roll, regardless of the TN. The 100 point edge allows one such roll every year.
Zazen
People win the lottery because millions of people play the lottery, which greatly increases the chances of the correct numbers being chosen.

I know nyahnyah.gif

It's really moot because my guy DID make his roll, and on his very first try! If he feels the need to become faster in the future, he'll learn the spell again at Force 500.

A lucky guy, he is.
RedmondLarry
And once he makes his TN 1000 roll, he can spend a Karma Pool permanently to reduce the time.
Zazen
You're assuming he won't already have several successes to start with nyahnyah.gif
Jason Farlander
Edit: Post withdrawn. Broke at least one rule.
Bölverk
QUOTE (Zazen)
It's really moot because my guy DID make his roll, and on his very first try! If he feels the need to become faster in the future, he'll learn the spell again at Force 500.

A lucky guy, he is.

And either way, he'll still get beaten by the guy with no enhancements whatsoever, but the Adrenaline Surge edge, who has the potential for infinitely high initiative, at no additional cost in Karma or time. spin.gif

[edit]...And both of them will still lose out to the adept with Quick Strike.
Shockwave_IIc
The thing i find funny about Quick Strike (funny as in ammusing not in need of tweaking) is the faster his opponants go the faster he goes to the point that if his action was to sprint he would start and finnish his 33m dash before anyone (including mister im so fast i suffer friction burns) Practicly Teleporting!!
DV8
Why the fuck do these threads keep raking in so many replies? They pop up every once in a while and people furiously number crunch until they come to the conclusion that according to canon rules you can get an initiative of a blazillion d6 + google. The thread dies down again, only to come up two months later. Ad infinitum.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (DV8)
Why the fuck do these threads keep raking in so many replies? They pop up every once in a while and people furiously number crunch until they come to the conclusion that according to canon rules you can get an initiative of a blazillion d6 + google. The thread dies down again, only to come up two months later. Ad infinitum.

Yeah. Let's discuss something useful instead.

So how about that Silvergun, eh?
phelious fogg
Personal Rule: After inititives are rolled, and player rolling more than 50 has to make a body test TN(Init-45) to resist a fatal heart attack.

Luckily I only had to use this rule once.
toturi
Come on, guys. Without these threads acting as a refresher every few months, we'll soon forget the many uber ways of screwing with the system. Unless we write a compendium of all the tricks and convince the moderaters to make it sticky.
Echo
just take the first strike adept power and you are the faster than the initiative 100+ supa dupa boosted cyberzombie...
Siege
QUOTE (DV8)

Boredom.

The same reason I was up til 4 in the morning figuring out how to add a combo box to an Excel spreadsheet to help me better calculate the different impacts of Standard, Alpha and Beta-ware on my body line. grinbig.gif

-Siege
cykotek
There's an image...a sticky entitled "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Raping the SR System". "This new edition includes such ideas as 'how to combine adept and cyberware for the character who must be panzer-proof', and '5 simple rules to initiatives higher than my grandfather's age'".
Prototype
You also seem to be forgetting that you can be a physmage and get cyber/bioware thus allowing for some ludicrous combos.

Attribute Boost Quickness is the way to go. Combine that with Boosted III + Synaptic Accelerator + Adrenal Gland + Drugs + Spells, etc. and you are rocking!
Shockwave_IIc
And all you do is make me move that much faster....
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (DV8)

Because inside everyone is a little munchkin, waiting to be set free...

~J
Stumps
There's another issue here other than whether you can do this with the mechanics or not.

lets see...32+4D6
maximum initiative is 56.

That's 6 complex actions, or 12 simple actions.
One Round is 3 seconds.

Granted, I could probably pull 12 shots off with a pistol in 3 seconds if I REALLY tried with the right weapon.
On the other hand...

56-Shoots Grunt A twice
46-Drops pistol, and draws katana
36-Runs over to Grunt B
26-Slices Grunt B up with Katana
(23-somewhere around here a "normal" fast character would go.)
16-Throws Katana at Grunt C, and Draws pistol
06-Shoots Grunt C twice

All in 3 seconds?
good thing it's a game.
nezumi
FYI, those are 2nd edition rules. In 3rd edition, EVERYONE has a go once before your super-ninja chops everyone up. Its also worth pointing out that how far you move is your total movement divided by the number of initiative passes you have, so your guy with say a movement of 30 will only move 5 meters with each action.
Austere Emancipator
I'm pretty sure you can get a bit more insane with MBW-4. Assuming you can get to an un-drugged initiative of 19+5d6 (Night One Exc/Bonus QUI, Toner-4, SupraT, Cerebral-2, QUI14/INT8), that's a maximum of 7 actions per CT already, and an average of 6. Adding just Jazz and Cram you get 21+7d6. Pitting Mr MBW (with Quickdraw) against the "normal fast character" above in some Grunt Killing Madness:

I(63)-MBW shoots Grunt A twice
I(23)-NFC shoots Grunt B twice
I(63)-MBW shoots Grunt C twice
II(53)-MBW shoots Grunt D twice, drops revolver
II(13)-NFC shoots Grunt E twice
II(53)-MBW runs towards Grunt F, draws new revolver, shoots Grunt G twice
III(43)-MBW runs towards Grunt F, shoots Grunt H twice
III(3)-NFC shoots Grunt I twice
IV(33)-MBW runs towards Grunt F, shoots Grunt J twice, drops revolver
V(23)-MBW runs up to Grunt F, draws katana and slices him to pieces
VI(13)-MBW sheathes the katana, starts looting corpses
VII(3)-MBW is still looting corpses
RedSunOfKrypton
How fast would a 60 grade initiate adept with a quickness of 60 be able to run?
Cain
QUOTE (RedSunOfKrypton)
How fast would a 60 grade initiate adept with a quickness of 60 be able to run?

Lessee... A grade 60 initiate probably has an athletics skill of at least 8, so he's likely to roll 4 successes on an Athletics test to improve his quickness for running. So, assuming a human without kid stealth legs or cyberskates, he's going to go 64 x 3 = 192 meters per turn. (Meters/turn)*0.75 = MPH, so he's running about 175 miles per hour. Oh, and if he's a shamanic adept of Horse, he might have taken the Movement power as a metamagic; assuming an essence of 6, he'd be travelling at slightly over a thousand miles per hour, or Mach 1.25.

Well, you *did* ask. embarrassed.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012