Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kowloon Walled City (Ghost Cartels)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
knasser
QUOTE (Synner @ Apr 14 2010, 06:39 PM) *
Whether you use them as visual aids or as references for your own scene setting descriptions, I thought it was important that people visualize the environment the Kowloon battle takes place in. Now imagine those streets crowded by hundreds of drugheads clawing their way past the make-shift barricades the Triad has put up. Consider the dangers of smoke, fire, and enclosed spaces.

The dangers of fire and smoke in that environment are dramatic to say the least. I'd be tempted to give the PCs some incendiary grenades and see if they're foolish enough to use them. If that place went up in flames it would be a massive death trap. The drug addicts would be the least of the PCs worries.

K.
Saint Sithney
I always imagined it as being a mad scramble to the roofs and then from there a chase over rooftops to the highest tower of the block. Dropping some airlifted supplies on such a dense series of rooftops wouldn't provide much difficulty (especially with the dropped crates under the control of a limited maneuverability minidrone, I'm just imagining a parachuting bust-a-move doll strapped to an HMG.. hilarious.) but, as was mentioned, the landing crates might collapse the shoddy roof.

But, now that I think of it, the cover of the buildings themselves would probably be ideal for a serious team. UWB would provide a huge advantage in a place with so many thin walls. With a Tacnet set up, the team could just mark all friendlies and then start shooting the hoard through the walls, slowly traveling from one building to the next by crawling from window to window until they cut a path down to the street and away. Now I've got to figure how to keep them on the up rather than just pushing their way out to the street. dead.gif
Dixie Flatline
QUOTE (Synner @ Apr 14 2010, 03:14 AM) *
For reference buildings in Kowloon ranged between 8 and 18 stories, with 10-13 being typical. The buildings were so closely packed that streets (alleys)were typically less than 2m across at street-level. Given the density and height of construction (and the inevitable leaning at height) from above Kowloon was almost continuous, and the roofs were as chaotic as the streets. An airdrop to the streets is unfeasible at best, while payloads dropped at roof height are going to take a good long while to filter down to the street levels. (Some pics including an overall map here,here and here.)

Also, Kowloon's lower levels (street level) were generally artificially lit all the time, since not even sunlight could filter down to the streets.

Airdrops are not possible at street level I'd say.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012