Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Witch Characters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
sable twilight
QUOTE (k1tsune)
I had an idea: You could take one of the basic totems and have the character identify their totem with an ancient God. i.e. a Cat shaman who sees her totem as the embodiment of Bastet, or a Raven shaman who worships the Morrigan. Yess..

Good idea k1tsune. That works well for those divinities that have an animal commonly associated with them.

All in all, it just goes to demonstrate the diversity of Witches.
moosegod
Or any other loose, semi-religious group, for that matter.
Kagetenshi
Ok, to clarify a bit, I'm helping him create the character in question (coming up with most of the numbers, giving him a template from which to work).

What I'm doing is making a female human Moon Shaman with mostly health- and illusion-oriented spells and the Pacifist flaw, going with the "do no harm" motif. Most of the rest will be up to him to roleplay.

~J
Mana Child
i as i do in real life dont want to have anything to do with christianity becuase of experiences growing up so i'd like to cut that area out if possible.
Mana Child
and in reply to kagetenshi i would like to have at least a lets say a edged weapons skill and some form of bladed weapon that would suit the role.
actually in a minute i'll edit this post to add some stuff off the sotsw forum.

although if it means too much trouble for you i will not argue the point.

Quote: Well... I would say make a bunch of nature related contacts. A friend in GreenWar, TerraFirst!, or the World Wildlife Foundation will give the GM lots of seeds. Secondly, Wicca encourages (though doesn't require) a coven, or group of friends usually a group of four is desirable. Don't forget a talismonger.

Take the Enchanting skill, even at a minor level, as Wicca encourages making one's own athame (primary foci). Other skills such as Disguise and Wicca are useful. I very much suggest an Edged Weapons skill over firearms (which are such an impersonal way of killing someone). Also, take Tarot Cards or something similar (this will help later as a Divination skill). Which reminds me, take a psychic or palm reader contact, if you have the cash.

I would seriously go the Shaman or Idol Worshipper (Horned Man for male and Moon Maiden for female are the classic - though my Wiccan friend is an Aphrodite follower).

A membership to a private garden or a cemetery contact would be a cool finishing touch.

~kanada ten
k1tsune
ATHAME WEAPON FOCUS! ATHAME WEAPON FOCUS!
toturi
QUOTE (k1tsune)

MONO WHIP ATHAME WEAPON FOCUS!
Kagetenshi
I'll reread on the personality and see if something other than Moon would be better.

~J
Mana Child
besides that general "do no harm flaw it sounded good" but i really really liked the ideas presented in that pm i just quoted by kanada ten.
so much that i want to use most of those themes except for the nature contacts.
But i like the access to secret garden thing though but after getting rid of the contacts and not going nature and all it would seem pointless though?
k1tsune
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (k1tsune @ Feb 17 2004, 11:42 AM)

"Isn't your athame supposed to be a black-handled knife?"
"I can't help it! I'm innovative!"
Mana Child
err is that supposed to be sarcasm?
cuase it sounds like a cliche lol
Kagetenshi
I like the athame from The Iron Dragon's Daughter. Black rubber-coated handle, insanely magnetized blade...

~J
k1tsune
On a random note, where'd ya get the character name?
Kanada Ten
An athame cannot be used to cut anything, IIRC. They are like a mage's wand. A power focus or similar is far more appropriate.
Mana Child
character name? since when do i have a character name yet?
k1tsune
nemmind.
Mana Child
if your talking about my name on sotsw it has nothing to do with my character.
k1tsune
Then where'd ya get that from?
Mana Child
a ps1 game of the same name made by breakoff members of squaresoft, its a gothic horror survival game with turn based combat. The main character koudelka is a witch in the 1890's.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Mana Child)
a ps1 game of the same name made by breakoff members of squaresoft, its a gothic horror survival game with turn based combat. The main character koudelka is a witch in the 1890's.

Actually, I saw a used copy in a store the other day. Was tempted to pick it up.

~J
Dashifen
QUOTE (k1tsune)
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 16 2004, 10:43 PM)

"Isn't your athame supposed to be a black-handled knife?"
"I can't help it! I'm innovative!"

the whip can have a black handle, too smile.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 16 2004, 11:09 PM)
An athame cannot be used to cut anything, IIRC. They are like a mage's wand. A power focus or similar is far more appropriate.

You are correct, sir. The Athame doesn't cut things. A bolline (spelling?) is usually the name for the knife used for cutting. I've often seen them with a white handled and a curved blade.

Another suggestion: Edged Weapons B/R might be worth a few karma. It's often concidered a good way to empower your own tools when you make them yourself. Doesn't make much skill to put together a wand or a besom, but if you're planning on making your own athame, then you probably want a little skill in their construction.

Anyway, I agree that the athame would fit better as a power focus and not a weapons focus.

Edit: Found another good shot of an athame and a bolline that someone made. Maybe you don't need too much Edged Weapons B/R -- depends on what you're going for.
Fahr
not nessesarily, my IRL athame is quite capable of cutting, and I would use it in self defense, but this gets into the other thing I wanted to mention...

Most followers of Wicca (or other pagan traditions) while recognizing a Moon mother/horned Father figure, do not deal with them in that far abstract terms. Most put a more personal face on them, for example, IRL I follow the Morrigan (Celtic Female goddess of death and war, also fertility) and Hephestus (roman god of machines and tools).

from a gaming perspective i would suggest giving your witch a specific god and/or goddess to follow, as it will make it easier to understand there motivations. and therefore understand whether they might use fireball spell or not.

just my 2 (nuyen)

-Mike R. (resident pagan)
moosegod
QUOTE (toturi)

DIKOTED MONOWHIP KATANA HOT ELF ALLY SPIRIT ATAMANE FOCUS!
Dashifen
QUOTE (Fahr @ Feb 17 2004, 01:56 PM)
not nessesarily, my IRL athame is quite capable of cutting, and I would use it in self defense, but this gets into the other thing I wanted to mention...

If I'm down to using my athame as a self-defense weapon then I'm screwed anyway smile.gif

-- Dash (Merry Met!) --
Fahr
well true, if that is all I got left I am in trouble too, but I sure would use it if it WAS all I had... and I really was just saying it was sharp and pointy and defenitely deadly if I had to use it.

anyway... glad to see i am not alone smile.gif

-Mike r.
k1tsune
QUOTE (moosegod)
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 16 2004, 10:43 PM)

DIKOTED MONOWHIP KATANA HOT ELF ALLY SPIRIT ATAMANE FOCUS!

That doesn't even make sense, but it still scares me.
simonw2000
It should be rare for an athame to be used as weapon and focus, due to modifiers for enchanting non-ornamental items.
simonw2000
But seriously though, read MITS. That should help you.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Fahr)
anyway... glad to see i am not alone smile.gif

smile.gif
Pistons
QUOTE (simonw2000)
It should be rare for an athame to be used as weapon and focus, due to modifiers for enchanting non-ornamental items.

Well, they could still be used as such against, say, spirits. However, they'd be much more likely to be enchanted and used as power foci.

Now, a non-Wiccan witch could and possibly would use a knife implement as a weapon focus.
ShadowPhoenix
In regards to what gods to follow, Often you will find most Wiccans follow some variety of ancient pantheon of some sort, or some kind of nature path. I've seen some wiccans who worship norse gods, some who worship egyptian gods, and some who worship trees and wolves. it depends on the group, wiccan is truly a religion that is not fully defined, each sect/order has their own idea of what to follow. some things are fairly consistant though, candle use, charms, crystals and stones, "magickal" symbology, sounds and music, calling down the gods they follow. More often than not Wiccans follow the Moon as their highest holy symbol, the goddess above all, and the wiccan trinity, maiden, mother, crone.

Personally I would treat all Wiccans in SR world like I would treat Shamans, and when they were drawing on the power of a specific god of their pantheon they would have a shamanic mask that looks like the god they are drawing down to help. Course this may not work so well if they are solar followers(I call down Jupiter!) eek.gif

Anyway, I say research magick and wicca in google, take what you want, toss out what you don't want, that's what wiccans typically do as well to find their true path. Just do the same for your character. smile.gif can't go wrong. and like I think a lot of people said here. When it comes to the mechanics of SR, it's not really much different than anything else in the book, it's all in the RP'ing.
Fahr
ShadowPhoenix hit it on the head, very eloquent.

-Mike R.
ShadowPhoenix
Thanks Fahr, I saw a lot of people jumping all over the place, hitting some but not all points, just thought I'd try to make it all into a coherent post biggrin.gif Hope I've helped. cool.gif
moosegod
QUOTE (k1tsune)
That doesn't even make sense, but it still scares me.

Actually, the lack of sense makes it all the more terrifying.

Especially since even I have NO clue what that would look like.
Siege
Anyone ever had the urge to rub an adept's monowhip handle with a thin film of grease?

-Siege
Kanada Ten
No... but the accident power is a mono wielding woman's worst nightmare.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
No... but the accident power is a mono wielding woman's worst nightmare.

OMG! I love this idea .... *makes a note to himself*
simonw2000
QUOTE (sable twilight @ Feb 17 2004, 02:41 AM)
All of them work well, but those that likely have the closest "feel" in my opinion, would be Cat, Dog, (Field) Mouse, Owl, Raven, Snake, and Wolf.

What about Dove, Stag, Sky Father and Fire-Bringer? Those sound Wicca-ish to me. Just don't bump into a toxic version!
sable twilight
QUOTE (simonw2000)
QUOTE (sable twilight @ Feb 17 2004, 02:41 AM)
All of them work well, but those that likely have the closest "feel" in my opinion, would be Cat, Dog, (Field) Mouse, Owl, Raven, Snake, and Wolf.

What about Dove, Stag, Sky Father and Fire-Bringer? Those sound Wicca-ish to me. Just don't bump into a toxic version!

Those are good too. I was just grabbing ones from the 3rd Ed core book, since I thought I remembers the person posing the questions saying they did not have MitS.

Mmmm, toxic witch, now that is an interesting idea. Especially for one who has made excessive use of revenge or anger based magics (there are those that would say using anger in your magick is okay, and I would tend to agree, as long as it does not come to dominate your magickal work) or has violently, hostile, or harmful tendencies to something (such as technology or a gender). A toxic coven would be really scary, but would likely self destruct in a short while (of course they could be very effective and dangerous until they did).
Nikoli
Also, as far was crystals, candle magic, etc. Look at the fetish descriptions, both expendable and re-sueable. The very ideas of using candle magic transfer nicely into an expendable fetish, and an athame works well as a re-useable one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012