Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Erratas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Machiavelli
Is there something planned regarding erratas for street magic or runners companion? I would e.g. really interested if somebody of the Devs is going to change the "broken" new spirits ability of counterspelling.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 12 2010, 12:03 AM) *
Is there something planned regarding erratas for street magic or runners companion? I would e.g. really interested if somebody of the Devs is going to change the "broken" new spirits ability of counterspelling.

I'm a Very Technical Boy, so forgive my ignorance - why is Counterspelling broken?
Machiavelli
You really ask me why spirits that are capable to defend agains spells while all common spirits canīt, are broken ?
Ol' Scratch
<nods>

Especially since I can only think of one type of conjured spirit has a power that can be counterspelled, and that power is pretty limited itself (Innate Spell). I don't think any of the other spirit powers are affected by it, but I could be mistaking.

All Magic Guard does is allow the summoner to not worry as much about having Counterspelling up all the time, or get a minor boost to it from the teamwork rules.
MikeKozar
Spirits are creatures of magic. By default, don't most of them get an "Aid Sorcery" power? Seems reasonable that some of them might get a "Hinder Sorcery" power. Kind of the other side of the same coin.

I can see where it would make them damn hard to kill with Manabolts, especially when you start to get above Force 5. On the other hand, when you start to get above Force 5, they're supposed to be hard to kill, right?

I guess, to answer your question: Yes, I am really asking. This isn't intended as disrespectful to you - as I said, I'm tech-based and honestly don't understand why. Perhaps you could explain it to me?
X-Kalibur
God forbid you have to use that banishing skill or engage in astral combat with it. Whatever shall you do?
Machiavelli
Dear Mike, i didnīt understand your questions being disrespectful, just not overthought very properly. Look: if you check the forum you will find tons of discussions that spirits or mages are too powerful, if the force exceeds a certain level mundanes are virtually helpless against a spirit and so on. So up to now the only way to balance spirits out as enemies, was to put a mage or other spirits in. They had only willpower or body to resist, no armor at all and so "at least" a good mage was able to safe your mundanes co-runners ass. I always curse on the devs, but at least up to now they made it that everything that existed had his weak point. Now they introduced new spirits and they all can counterspell. I also didnīt see other spirit powers missing that would balance this out. Not even close, if you look properly e.g. the guardian spirit has a ton of skills more than other spirits. He has clubs and bladed weapons, which means while an air elemental attacks with (STR/2) he can grab a sword, doing (STR/2)+3, Reach bonus +1. As a mage you donīt have dice pools as big as e.g. cybered companions, which means that the number of hits you can produce is somewhat limited. But with counterspelling you can pack your bags if such spirits are on the loose. They now equal mages in magic resistance, trolls with military armor in physical resistance and if you use banishing you will see them laughing before you become unconscious. So what do you want to do against spirits that are immune against anything? And why are all the "lesser" traditions able to summon the updated spirits while the "common" ones are still lame in comparison? I was about to create new characters but i really donīt see a reason to take the common spirits anymore. The new ones are much better and i, as a black mage, will not get my ass kicked by a f***ing voodoo-nerd.
WinterScale
What would be awesome is to find out when we can expect erratas for products that have been needing them for some time, such as RC.

Assuming the data gets compiled, I have to wonder why things take so darned long to finally make it into print, even as a PDF on the web site....
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (WinterScale @ Apr 12 2010, 01:49 PM) *
What would be awesome is to find out when we can expect erratas for products that have been needing them for some time, such as RC.

Assuming the data gets compiled, I have to wonder why things take so darned long to finally make it into print, even as a PDF on the web site....

The CGL discussion thread extravaganza will likely answer this question. But to sum: allegations of embezzlement, freelancers not getting paid soon enough/quitting and more. Oh, and hot Lone Star on Unicorn action. eek.gif
Banaticus
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 12 2010, 10:05 AM) *
And why are all the "lesser" traditions able to summon the updated spirits while the "common" ones are still lame in comparison? I was about to create new characters but i really donīt see a reason to take the common spirits anymore. The new ones are much better and i, as a black mage, will not get my ass kicked by a f***ing voodoo-nerd.

Wait, what's this about some traditions not getting to summon good spirits? Why's that?
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Apr 12 2010, 11:17 AM) *
Oh, and hot Lone Star on Unicorn action. eek.gif

Rule 34, Dr.Rockso, rule 34.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 12 2010, 10:32 AM) *
You really ask me why spirits that are capable to defend agains spells while all common spirits canīt, are broken ?

So, the chance of me even considering thinking about anything you ever say on the subject of game balance just dropped to 0.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 12 2010, 10:32 AM) *

So, the chance of me even considering thinking about anything you ever say on the subject of game balance just dropped to 0.
Wandering One
Never discount the powah of unicorn Pr0n. However, speaking of erratas, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the errata to Unwired?
Ol' Scratch
Perhaps...
Wandering One
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 12 2010, 11:31 AM) *

Much obliged.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Banaticus @ Apr 12 2010, 07:26 PM) *
Wait, what's this about some traditions not getting to summon good spirits? Why's that?

Rule 34, Dr.Rockso, rule 34.
Mages and Shamans can only summon standard spirits, while the new traditions can more or less the new ones which gives them a big advantage. This is what i meant with "the good spirits".
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Apr 12 2010, 07:27 PM) *

Iīm sorry for hurting your syntax and phrase-feelings. I will never ever again create such a blasphemy.^^ Forgive me master, i am unworthy.^^ But nevertheless, it doesnīt make the said wronger.
Ol' Scratch
But nevertheless, it doesnīt make the said wronger.

Uhm, yeah it does.

How exactly is this any different from the summoner protecting the spirit with Counterspelling himself? How does it stop all of the myriad other forms of taking down a spirit any more difficult (weapon foci, attacks of will, taking advantage of vulnerabilities, sheer firepower -- and yes, conventional weapons do work just fine on spirits as long as you go all overkill on its ass)? Oh no, so the mage can't Stunbolt it as easily as normal (but still pretty easily). Heaven's, no! The very fabric of reality is unweaving! ohplease.gif

Also, the spirits in Street Magic are different. Not "better," just different. At most, they have access to the new powers in SM, and if it's really a problem you can easily give some of them to the spirits in the main sourcebook as appropriate. Spirits of Man, for instance, would make sense having access to the apparently gamebeaking Magical Guard power.

But, seriously, it's not this earth-shattering balance issue you seem to think it is. Yeah, a spirit protected by Counterspelling (which, again, is not limited only to ones with Magical Guard) may get a couple of more hits against your Stunbolt. Whooptido.

Side note: You really should try to do your namesake justice. frown.gif
Sengir
Mind if I hop on with the standard errata question? When do we finally see the Augmentation errata
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 12 2010, 07:57 PM) *
Uhm, yeah it does.

How exactly is this any different from the summoner protecting the spirit with Counterspelling himself? How does it stop all of the myriad other forms of taking down a spirit any more difficult (weapon foci, attacks of will, taking advantage of vulnerabilities, sheer firepower -- and yes, conventional weapons do work just fine on spirits as long as you go all overkill on its ass)? Oh no, so the mage can't Stunbolt it as easily as normal (but still pretty easily). Heaven's, no! The very fabric of reality is unweaving! ohplease.gif

Also, the spirits in Street Magic are different. Not "better," just different. At most, they have access to the new powers in SM, and if it's really a problem you can easily give some of them to the spirits in the main sourcebook as appropriate. Spirits of Man, for instance, would make sense having access to the apparently gamebeaking Magical Guard power.

But, seriously, it's not this earth-shattering balance issue you seem to think it is. Yeah, a spirit protected by Counterspelling (which, again, is not limited only to ones with Magical Guard) may get a couple of more hits against your Stunbolt. Whooptido.

Side note: You really should try to do your namesake justice. frown.gif
The only way i could do this, was to kill all opponents and all of their family so that nobody is going to take revenge. But i donīt think that you meant that.^^

Where the big difference is? Ähmm...these spirits can defend themselves without the need of protection from the summoner. So remote services and attacks outide of LOS are covered while the common ones are as vulnerable as mundanes. This IS a quite big advantage because (like i already pointed out) the mage can summon "anti-mage" spirits. But if this wouldnīt be already enough reason to overthing the RAW, they get access to some real serious usefull skills that makes this kinds of spirits way more versatile and dangerous than the common ones. Old spirits can attack you in close combat, if they have luck they can cause an elemental attack, but thatīs it. The new ones can kill your comrade, get his rifle with EX and blow your head of. More damage, more attacks, more dead runners. For me this reasoning is quite clear...if you donīt get it anyway, i really donīt know which else contention you might need to see the problem.
Nixda
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 12 2010, 07:05 PM) *
Not even close, if you look properly e.g. the guardian spirit has a ton of skills more than other spirits. He has clubs and bladed weapons, which means while an air elemental attacks with (STR/2) he can grab a sword, doing (STR/2)+3, Reach bonus +1.

Well, I don't see the big advantage here, to be honest. Obviously he cannot carry a mundane sword around in astral space, so when he materializes he would then need to pick up a sword first, instead of attacking, which would give the runners an additional initiative pass to react to the Guardian spirit - it basically just gives the mage time for an additional spell at him, more than compensating for his counterspelling. A fire elemental attacking immediately with its energy aura seems a lot more dangerous.

Of course, you could argue a smart corp might make him materialize first, arm him with a sword (and maybe a taser shield for good measure) and then have him waiting around a corner for the runners. But seriously, they'd better just have a spirit carry a huge amount of plastic explosives with a remote detonator and have him play suicide bomber then arm him with a sword.

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 12 2010, 07:05 PM) *
As a mage you donīt have dice pools as big as e.g. cybered companions, which means that the number of hits you can produce is somewhat limited. But with counterspelling you can pack your bags if such spirits are on the loose. They now equal mages in magic resistance, trolls with military armor in physical resistance and if you use banishing you will see them laughing before you become unconscious. So what do you want to do against spirits that are immune against anything? And why are all the "lesser" traditions able to summon the updated spirits while the "common" ones are still lame in comparison? I was about to create new characters but i really donīt see a reason to take the common spirits anymore. The new ones are much better and i, as a black mage, will not get my ass kicked by a f***ing voodoo-nerd.

I do not dispute that high force spirits can be quite strong, but getting a few additional hits from their counterspelling hardly makes them "immune against anything".

Can you please explain why you think banishing will not be a viable option against such a spirit ? I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind this.

Banaticus
QUOTE (Nixda @ Apr 12 2010, 04:02 PM) *
But seriously, they'd better just have a spirit carry a huge amount of plastic explosives with a remote detonator and have him play suicide bomber...

Oh. Aztechnology is now going to start going this. "If anyone comes down this hallways during the official lights out times, step out of your niche, run up to them and press the big red button that you're going to be holding."

"Hey, mage who summoned the suicide ghost, if you summon and bind a few more here, here, and here on the map, and if you maintain contact with them and manage to stop any group of runners, then we won't make you be the next one to hold the button. Now go start summoning some more. Here's your sets of buttons wired to these packs to give to the spirits, then you can go back to the penthouse we've provided you and live in the lap of luxury. While you're laying back on easy street, just remember, if you don't stop any runners who come through during the official lights out times when everything is supposed to be shut, you're going to be the next one standing there holding a button."
Nixda
Lol, I was more thinking of using them once an alarm was sounded - "Mage, have your spirit carry this into the runner group, our hacker'll do the rest."

Also, using some gas might actually be preferable considering the lower property damage. I just used the example to show that there are better plans than starting to arm your spirits with swords.
pbangarth
Spirits that can Counterspell are more resistant to spells than those that do not. This power makes no difference to their resistance to mundane forms of attack, or other, astral forms of attack, only the spellcasting attack of magicians.

The addition of such spirits to the game should be hailed as a boon and an answer to their complaints by proponents of the position that magicians are overpowered. Till now, the vast majority of DS posters who have spoken about the Banishing Skill have said it is basically a waste of BP which can be spent on other things, like Counterspelling, or ways to even more drastically blast mundanes, for example. Now, those overpowered magicians must consider divvying up their power, weakening those other aspects that allegedly made them lord it over mundanes, and putting some of it into a Skill that works only on spirits, not on mundanes.

Those who see magicians as overpowered should be pleased at this turn of events.
sn0mm1s
What level of spirits are we talking about here? Materialized spirits aren't that difficult to take down.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (sn0mm1s @ Apr 12 2010, 08:34 PM) *
What level of spirits are we talking about here? Materialized spirits aren't that difficult to take down.

Powerful ones apparently... though not exactly sure how Powerful, Powerful is... it is a subjective term after all...

Keep the Faith
Prime Mover
Still waiting for Augmentation errata Adam said we'd see "soon" around x-mas.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Nixda @ Apr 13 2010, 12:02 AM) *
Well, I don't see the big advantage here, to be honest. Obviously he cannot carry a mundane sword around in astral space, so when he materializes he would then need to pick up a sword first, instead of attacking, which would give the runners an additional initiative pass to react to the Guardian spirit - it basically just gives the mage time for an additional spell at him, more than compensating for his counterspelling. A fire elemental attacking immediately with its energy aura seems a lot more dangerous.

Of course, you could argue a smart corp might make him materialize first, arm him with a sword (and maybe a taser shield for good measure) and then have him waiting around a corner for the runners. But seriously, they'd better just have a spirit carry a huge amount of plastic explosives with a remote detonator and have him play suicide bomber then arm him with a sword.

I do not dispute that high force spirits can be quite strong, but getting a few additional hits from their counterspelling hardly makes them "immune against anything".

Can you please explain why you think banishing will not be a viable option against such a spirit ? I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind this.
*sigh* ok. We are talking about possibilities here, not actual settings. I you are in a open-air bath and the spirit is sent after you, the chances of getting attacked with a sword or gun are quite low, but we are playing SR where everybody is armed. Donīt you also think that the chance that the spirit has quick access to a weapon is quite high? I really dislike it when people argue in exceptions that happen 3% of the time, while they completely ignore the other 97%. What if the spirit is summoned before the attack and has more than enough time to GET a weapon, may it be from his comrades, may it be by himself through killing somebody that has this weapon? What about the times between fights? You are not always in combat turns, if you flee or if you go to another place, the combat turns stop and it really doesnīt need a long time to lower your upper body to get access to things that lay on the ground, donīt you also think? And besides that: which stupid mage is summoning a fighting spirit, letting him materialize when the combat already had started, maybe even right in the middle of the combat field where everybody can take him out before he is finished with his step through the worlds? Materialization costs a complex action, and the spirit already just has 2 phases, so this would be an tactical disaster. But what about a spirit that could be equipped with every kind of weapon while other spirits canīt?`Donīt you think that this could be an advantage? Or do you now argue that there could only be hold-outs available and this might be no advantage?^^

I also care nearly zero of mages being overpowered, it is about "game balance". It is about NEW spirits being MUCH better than OLD spirits. They have access to new and very useful powers, they donīt lack powers the old ones have AND they have more and better skills.

I have my own opinion about mages being overpowered and this has been discussed more than enough times.
In my game we have mages with full magic-attribute of 6 (which is quite high and absolutely not "average") and we usually have skills in spellcasting around 5, maybe (+2) from your mentor spirit. Right from the start spellcasting foci are only available in low ratings and definitely not for every spell-section. So usually you donīt have more than a sustaining focus at the start and during the first months of play (karma is needed for other stuff). So our dice pool lies around 13 dices which gives statistically around 4 hits. If your enemies just have 3-5 dice in average to defend, they are f*** up, no argue on that. Ok, they are not dead because you donīt overcast for every pimp and with force 6 and 3 net hits, he is still able to do something. But anyway...but if you have a mage or one of the new spirits (force 4+, which is common) as an opponent, your dice are equal. So no "i can take him out", because you canīt. You might even not be able to hurt him anyway, because he has more successes in his spell defence test. So you got drain, cause nothing, he slaughters you in the next phase and all your comrades afterwards. And please, everybody who is now about to say "but you can kill him with mundane weapons" think again and switch on your brains. The thing has hardened armor, to hurt him you need A LOT of successes and something everybody seems to forget is, that these things can dodge, you have recoil, light modifiers and so on and so forth. If you in your game have "no problem" killing materialized spirits, you or your GM are simply doing something wrong. That is not my fault that you donīt know the rules.

Regarding the "banishing" question, i donīt want to be impolite. Please show us all your "search-fu" and check the entries. Summoning kills you by drain and is the most useless skill ever. This would be a great point for the Devs to think again and check it for a new Errata. Besically all the topic was about upcoming erratas, not about the good old "mages and spirits" discussion.

I hope i could help
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 13 2010, 03:49 AM) *
Powerful ones apparently... though not exactly sure how Powerful, Powerful is... it is a subjective term after all...

Keep the Faith

In our game, standard would be 4, below that you only summon for simple transport/message reasons or to intimidate. Strong would be 5 and above.
Ol' Scratch
Banishing is a lot more effective than people think it is.

Banishing pits your Banishing + Magic vs. the spirit's Force. You only apply the summoner's Magic if the spirit is bound, which is going to be a rare case indeed. And if it is a bound spirit, it's clear the GM intended it to be a major threat anyway, so no need to cry about that.

Assuming a Magic of 5 and a Banishing skill of 4, that's 9 dice for you. Even against a powerful Force 6 spirit, you have the advantage. On average, the spirit will get a whole 2 hits versus your 3, meaning you reduced its services by one and suffer a devastating Drain Value of 2. If you can't completely negate a Drain Value of 2, well, you probably deserve to die because of it. And this ignores your use of Edge (and while a spirit can do the same, I doubt most summoned spirits will want to stop you from sending it back home and/or releasing it from servitude enough to waste its own Edge), the use of Banishing Foci, and various other considerations. Yes, it's not going to be a one-hit one-kill attack, but if your team is woefully unprepared for dealing with enemies with Immunity to Normal Weapons 6, Banishing is the exact opposite of useless. And it sure as hell isn't deadly to use.

What's more, unless you're in a powergaming group, you're much more likely to face spirits in the Force 4 range anyway, making it even easier to get banish them. Though in those cases a Ruger Super Warhawk with EX-Explosive ammo will do the job better, so it's a moot point.

To drive the point home, here's five quick contests between a Force 6 spirit and a mage with Banishing 4 and Magic 5.
[ Spoiler ]

Hardly useless or damaging.
Machiavelli
First: you really rolled bad for the spirit.
Second: your examples only work if the spirit ainīt bound (you already pointed that out), chances are 50/50
Third: banishing takes a complex action, if you cannot reduce his wishes to zero, you still have him around in the next phase, with full power and not reduction on the dice pool. Manabolt is definitely to prefer.
Forth: you get drain at TWICE the successes (NOT net-successes) the spirit gains.MINIMUM 2DV drain. There is a reason pal, why everybody was upset because of the meaningless of this skill.

In my opinion, risking 4 or more drain while possibly causing NO damage/effect on a spirit, is a bad price/use-ratio.
Ol' Scratch
1: Yet those rolls still occurred. Averages only mean anything when comparing millions of rolls. You never know what you're actually going to get until you roll the dice; each die has a 1-in-3 chance of getting a hit no matter what. Even if you roll 100 hits in a row, your next die still has that 1-in-3 chance of getting another one despite what the averages say.
2: Yes, because bound spirits are a rare occurrence. And, as previously stated, if you do run into a high-Force bound spirit, the GM intended it to be a very serious threat anyway. You're not intended to have an easy time taking one down, be it through Banishing or any other method.
3: Heavens to Mergatroid, you may have to actually do more than ONE thing in a fight! Oh no! And no bringing up Manabolt or other spells; the entire point here is using an alternative because you're insistent (blindly so) that Counterspelling somehow renders spellcasting impossible. Which is absurd, but that's another argument.
4: Oops, my mistake. Still, of the sample rolls I gave, only one might result in actual drain damage, and mild damage at best. It's hardly instant death.
5: That's an asinine thing to say. ANYTHING you do has the possibility of causing "NO damage/effect on a spirit," be it spellcasting, banishing, or attacking with a weapon focus. It's all in the dice results; not the average possibility of a result, but the actual roll of the dice.

Banishing is not meaningless. Your preference to munchkin your way through encounters by one-shot one-kill tactics is exactly that: your preference. That doesn't mean Banishing isn't a useful tool, especially -- and this is the important part -- as an alternative when you're crying that spellcasting is utterly useless.
Machiavelli
Discussions with immortal elves are my favourite.^^

1) Of course those rolls occurred, but your examples are definitely not common 4 times in a row. If one of this rolls go wrong, you are screwed.

2) Bound spirits are not so rare as you might think. If you get in touch with one, you are screwed too.^^

3) Usually you donīt have more than one chance to take an enemie out. We are talking about a mage with potentially low body ratings. if you donīt take the spirit out or at least cause him damage that lowers the dice pool, he can attack you in the next phase with ranged or close combat attach which will more likely take YOU out because you lack the skills anyway.

4) demonstration closed. Spells are more versatile, drain is calculable and you have a bigger chance to weaken the opponent.

So banishing IS meaningless unless you have way more better ways to cancel enemies. (just take a look at gymastics dodge) You have to spent a lot of BP or karma for a skill you could cover easily with other skills like "spellcasting". If the spirit has the power to defend against these attacks too (without the tactical advantage of protection through an comrades counterspelling), you really get a problem. In the past you had a chance that the summoner is not around, now this situation doesnīt apply anymore.

I donīt think that we are munchkinīin in our group, we are just not willingly making our chars. weaker than they have to be. wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 13 2010, 02:46 AM) *
I donīt think that we are munchkinīin in our group, we are just not willingly making our chars. weaker than they have to be. wink.gif

Look, the simple fact is that you're crying about spirits having counterspelling and have, for whatever bizarre reason, dictated that it makes spellcasting useless against one. With that in mind, people point to other alternatives such as banishing which has no diminished effect whateversoever against counterspelling. Your only real argument against it? Spellcasting is better.

If you don't understand why that's completely insane, there's really no point bothering to check this thread anymore.
Machiavelli
I was going to say exactly the same to you, but for another reason. You still ignore the fact that this topic is about SOME spirits that are immune or restistant to spellcasting while all the other ones AREN`T. It is about the fact that this is unbalanced because they didnīt get other skills or abilities lowered or cancelled because of their given advantages. A LOT of other people posted in the thread that already covered this topic (banishing useless, new spirits broken) and basically everybody agreed that banishing is broken. So maybe you are the one that didnīt get the point.
Harbin
Saying that a roll could go wrong is a reason not to play the game at all. Don't use it in an argument because at some point something will go wrong. No matter if you needed that roll during a fight or if you're hacking the Johnson's commlink and you roll a crit glitch. Or if you crit glitch your infiltration while hanging on the ceiling as a squad of guards go by. Or if you need to make that sniper shot on that dude you're supposed to be taking out. Likewise with spells.

Likewise with life, for that matter.
Machiavelli
Itīs saying that more rolls go wrong when the enemy has spell defense, nothing else.^^
Harbin
Well, my fault then. In that case, I'd use a fallacy to defend the fact that Shadowrun has a lot of skewed things, but perhaps then Counterspelling should be added to other spirits as a house rule if you think it's that bad?
Machiavelli
for example. But it was mainly if the devs will do something about it officially or not.
Ol' Scratch
Probably not since it's only a major problem in your head, as opposed to the reality of game balance.
Machiavelli
Puuuuh...i am so glad that the thread i read about that was a fata-morgana. Thank you for bringing me back to reality.^^
forgarn
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 13 2010, 04:30 AM) *
1: Yet those rolls still occurred. Averages only mean anything when comparing millions of rolls. You never know what you're actually going to get until you roll the dice; each die has a 1-in-3 chance of getting a hit no matter what. Even if you roll 100 hits in a row, your next die still has that 1-in-3 chance of getting another one despite what the averages say.
2: Yes, because bound spirits are a rare occurrence. And, as previously stated, if you do run into a high-Force bound spirit, the GM intended it to be a very serious threat anyway. You're not intended to have an easy time taking one down, be it through Banishing or any other method.
3: Heavens to Mergatroid, you may have to actually do more than ONE thing in a fight! Oh no! And no bringing up Manabolt or other spells; the entire point here is using an alternative because you're insistent (blindly so) that Counterspelling somehow renders spellcasting impossible. Which is absurd, but that's another argument.
4: Oops, my mistake. Still, of the sample rolls I gave, only one might result in actual drain damage, and mild damage at best. It's hardly instant death.
5: That's an asinine thing to say. ANYTHING you do has the possibility of causing "NO damage/effect on a spirit," be it spellcasting, banishing, or attacking with a weapon focus. It's all in the dice results; not the average possibility of a result, but the actual roll of the dice.

Banishing is not meaningless. Your preference to munchkin your way through encounters by one-shot one-kill tactics is exactly that: your preference. That doesn't mean Banishing isn't a useful tool, especially -- and this is the important part -- as an alternative when you're crying that spellcasting is utterly useless.

Totally have to agree here. As a mage I typically have 3 IP's and if there are any spirits around, the first one I use is to banish (possibly the second and third depending on whether or not the spirit is still there). Besides, on average a mage with a summoning of 6 and a magic of 6 will get 4 successes on his summoning test and the force 6 spirit will get 2 so there are only 2 services there for the spirit. That means I only need 2 successes to deplete those services (including the one that it is currently on). Now those are only on average numbers, your mileage may vary, and yes with a summoning foci and bonuses from your mentor spirit the summoner could get higher number of services. But on the same token as the banisher you could have a banishing foci and there are some mentor spirits that give bonuses to banishing (i.e. the adversary)(so you could get more net hits to reduce even more services on the first try.

As for bound spirits, I have not run across the too often. Mostly because of the time and difficulty to do the binding. Monetarily it is not too bad 500 nuyen.gif * Force = material cost. However it is the force in hours to do the binding as well as the test (binding + magic vs. Force *2). Now granted you only need 1 net hit as the magician to bind the spirit (the rest add services to the spirit) but still Binding 6 and Magic 6 = Force 6 (*2) spirit so it is a crap shoot as to whether you get that one hit or not. So for that Force 6 spirit to be bound you are looking at the following: 3000 nuyen.gif in materials; 6 hours to perform the ritual; (assuming a Binding of 6 and a Magic of 6, and a force 3 binding foci and a mentor spirit that give a bonus to binding tests) a Binding test of (on average) 5 hits (on 17 dice) vs the spirit's 4 hits (on 12 dice) with a drain of 8S to cope with. And that is assuming the magician is built as a binder and uses the binding focus for the binding test and not the drain test. Using the focus for drain would reduce the hit the magician gets to 4 causing a failure for the binding and still have to deal with an 8S drain test. I typically have 4 in my Binding because I don't do it that often.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 13 2010, 01:30 AM) *

I am sorry... I am going to have to agree with the Above from the good Doctor...

Even with their new abilities, the NEW Spirits (and Old SPirits for that matter) are really not all that hard to get rid of (Their access to counterspelling notwithstanding) and Banishing is a very effective way to go about that... I have yet to see a spirit of common power (3-6) that could not be handled with either a Banishing test or an Attack Test (dependant upon the weapon)... some spirits are more hardy than others, and some spirits have access to abilities that others do not, but that is entirely okay... not everything is (or should be) balanced in the world of Shadowrun...

As for the Variant Traditions not using the smae spirits as some of the new Traditions... you might want to go back and look at them, there are more traditions that use the standard spirits than not, and those that do have access to new spirits do not have access to all of them in the same Tradition (Though Voodoo has access to 3 of them)... I think that this is a good thing for Shadowrun, and the magic system in general...

Keep the Faith
Wandering One
I'm wondering why everyone assumes bound spirits are so rare. Perhaps at Rating 6+, but I see no reason a corp mage wouldn't bind himself a small army of Rating 3/4 spirits during his 'downtime' between invasions and warding. The corp's paying for the materials and he's using these spirits as magical patrolmen, he's going to want to make sure they're available and he's not going to be wanting to drain himself mid-brawl, and well, he needs to be doing something to be earning his keep in between training himself.

Besides, this way the corp sec also get the 'spam for enough services before binding' ability. Maybe AA corp mages and mom'n'pops wouldn't do this, but I can't foresee any security mage in a AAA NOT doing this.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Wandering One @ Apr 13 2010, 05:07 PM) *
I'm wondering why everyone assumes bound spirits are so rare. Perhaps at Rating 6+, but I see no reason a corp mage wouldn't bind himself a small army of Rating 3/4 spirits during his 'downtime' between invasions and warding. The corp's paying for the materials and he's using these spirits as magical patrolmen, he's going to want to make sure they're available and he's not going to be wanting to drain himself mid-brawl, and well, he needs to be doing something to be earning his keep in between training himself.

Besides, this way the corp sec also get the 'spam for enough services before binding' ability. Maybe AA corp mages and mom'n'pops wouldn't do this, but I can't foresee any security mage in a AAA NOT doing this.

I missed that as well it seems... Our Mage tends to keep a stable of spirits bound at any given time, One of which is a fairly high force (Force 5) Invoked Spirit. It is extremely cost effective for what you get, depending upon the spirit type... and no, he does not have any access to the "Special" spirits from Street Magic...

Just a plain Magician (Shamanic) with a moderate Summoning ability (Somewhere around 12 dice If I remember correctly)... and he keeps 5 spirits on bound call... so I do not see bound spirits as being all that rare myself either...

Keep the Faith
Ol' Scratch
...if you do run into a high-Force bound spirit, the GM intended it to be a very serious threat...

Bound or unbound, spirits with a Force of 4 or lower are easily dispatched by the combat junkies. No mage required.
pbangarth
QUOTE (sn0mm1s @ Apr 12 2010, 07:34 PM) *
I believe the discussion centers on spirits that are high enough Force to have a sizeable Counterspelling effect and also have a viable Immunity to Normal Weapons. Such spirits are seen to be proof against both mundane and magical attacks.

I argue that such a spirit will be tough against such attacks, but because of its very Force will have few services owing its conjurer, and therefore be susceptible to a quick Banishing. Neither armour nor Counterspelling affects the use of that Skill.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 13 2010, 09:19 PM) *
I argue that such a spirit will be tough against such attacks, but because of its very Force will have few services owing its conjurer, and therefore be susceptible to a quick Banishing. Neither armour nor Counterspelling affects the use of that Skill.

No way, dude. Banishing apparently leads to instant death and, even though the base argument is that counterspelling makes elementals utterly immune to magic somehow, you're still better off using spells in all cases. True story. And if you don't agree, despite everyone in the thread totally agreeing with everything I just said, you clearly just don't understand, man.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 13 2010, 04:13 AM) *
Itīs saying that more rolls go wrong when the enemy has spell defense, nothing else.^^

Then don't cast spells, get a rail gun, drop a building on it, blow up a gas station near it.....
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Apr 13 2010, 07:52 PM) *
Then don't cast spells, get a rail gun, drop a building on it, blow up a gas station near it.....

But then, That would be Logical...

Oh yeah, Right... Got it...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012