Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your thoughts on Ninjutsu...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Solstice
What exactly is the benefit to taking Ninjutsu? Your required to take a 2 point flaw in order to learn it. It doesn't even have multistrike as a manuver. Kung Fu is about 3000% better martial art to take. Pisses me off. Paying a 2 point flaw for a martial arts style should give you a few unique manuvers/options at least.

Diesel
You're a freaking /ninja/!

I don't know, I think it's pretty lame too.
LoseAsDirected
1. Ninjas are mammals.

2. Ninjas kick ass.

3. Ninjas occassionally flip out and kill people.
Jason Farlander
Well you kinda get a free contact: ninja clan. Also, close combat is just as good as multistrike, in its own way. I do agree, though, that the required flaw is... stupid. Even now, I, personally, could take a 10 minute drive and start taking a ninjutsu class.

Perhaps the instructors all have that 2-point hunted flaw.

Edit: Hmm... a good number of the individual dojo websites are down... perhaps their ninja clans finally caught up to them!
Ancient History
Ninjas get kick-ass access to maneuvers for weapons. Play with that sword, boy!
Zazen
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Edit: Hmm... a good number of the individual dojo websites are down... perhaps their ninja clans finally caught up to them!

They're busy kidnapping the president.
REM
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Feb 16 2004, 01:12 PM)

Thank god. Maybe they will kill him too.
And ninjas get the flaw thing because ninjas are all stealthy and stuff.
sable twilight
QUOTE (Zazen)

Are you a bad enough dude to save him?
moosegod
AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Zazen
QUOTE (sable twilight)
QUOTE (Zazen @ Feb 16 2004, 01:28 PM)

Are you a bad enough dude to save him?

biggrin.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Ninjas get kick-ass access to maneuvers for weapons. Play with that sword, boy!

Considering the Manouvers i'd rather go and kung fu my sword. Whirling multi strike. Besides you still get to Wu Tang Clan with your polearms as well.
mmu1
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Well you kinda get a free contact: ninja clan. Also, close combat is just as good as multistrike, in its own way. I do agree, though, that the required flaw is... stupid. Even now, I, personally, could take a 10 minute drive and start taking a ninjutsu class.

Perhaps the instructors all have that 2-point hunted flaw.

Yeah, you could take a drive and start taking a pretend-ninjutsu class, because even if it actually existed at some point (highly unlikely, since real world assassins and spies usually train to do things in simple ways that work, not in flashy ones that look bad-ass), I somehow don't think there would be an easy to find class teaching it in most major cities in the US...

It's hard enough to find a martial arts teacher that has legitimate ties to the founders of any of the "ordinary" schools, because 9 out of 10 just make shit up to sex-up what would otherwise be an ordinary self-defense and fitness class.
sable twilight
The reason why ninjitsu "sucks" Shadowrun is because it is supposed to be a reflection on what ninjitsu is in real life. Primarily Ninjitsu was not about combat, but about stealth and remaining unseen. If a ninja was "caught" they were supposed to dispose of the person as quickly as possible (if the person were a non-combatant, such as household staff) or escape and hide (if the person is combatant, such as an armed guard).

Kung Fu, which was has its origins in the grueling physical practices by Buddhist monks to help them transcend their physicality and quite the mind lends itself much more readily to just about all forms of combat.
Zazen
Ninjitsu is stupid anyway. The best martial art is Shaq Fu.
Feyd 47
One of the things i thought was sucky about the martial arts rules in cannon comp was that they covered pretty much solely unarmed combat styles or styles of unarmed combat that had some weapon uses.

I'm currently working on some martial arts that are soley weapon based, such as Kendo, Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu and Nito Ichi Ryu (yes my main focus to start is Japanese sword fighting techniques). When i'm done i'll post them up..
LoseAsDirected
Yeah, and nobody ever takes 'Edged Weapons (Rapier)' anymore.. I loved my snobby fencer...
RangerJoe
Kind of ironic that rapier falls under "edged weapons," dontcha think?

"It's not the big edge that counts on this puppy. It's the really, really small one at the end that counts." *flick*

Yeah. That's why no one plays snobby fencers anymore.
Solstice
Well Ninjutsu in SR sucks my balls. I took the 2 point hunted flaw in order to get it. I also thought up a rather in depth story of my background.

BTW what part of the martial art actually makes you sneakier?

There is none silly.

Any house rules you guys have governing this? Should some kind of stealth bonus be in order to make up for the lack of combat efficiency?
moosegod
Hey. extinguish.gif

I think what Sable was saying was that Ninjitsu does not concentrate on combat. That's why it is a bad skill to use in a fight.
sable twilight
QUOTE (Solstice)
Well Ninjutsu in SR sucks my balls. I took the 2 point hunted flaw in order to get it. I also thought up a rather in depth story of my background.

BTW what part of the martial art actually makes you sneakier?

There is none silly.

Any house rules you guys have governing this? Should some kind of stealth bonus be in order to make up for the lack of combat efficiency?

Nope, part of the characters training by the Ninja clan should have included the skills Stealth and Athletics. Like modern day Special Forces, real world Ninjitsu is actually training in several different areas, not just fighting. Where a Green Barret is trained, not only in combat and fighting, but also how to organize communities and train them to be effective cells of resistance in occupied territories, build shelters, and aspects of civil engineering, a Ninja would be changed in observation, stealth, and disguise. Ninjas were primarily spies and occasionally dabbled in assassination (often using distance weapons such as blow guns and bows). In a close fight they would use small swords, weighted chains, a scythe with a weighted chain on the end, and things like that.

Why is it that so many people have it in their heads that Ninjitsu is this super powerful martial art? It wasn't. When it comes to fighting, the focus of Ninjitsu was to eliminate a person target as quickly as possible, often from a position of surprise. In a "fair" fight against a Samurai, the Samurai would likely kick Ninja tail. If you want a martial art that is geared to protracted fighting, pick something like Kung Fu, Jujitsu, or Tai Chi or Aikijitsu (Akido) for those wanting a softer form.

For those interested in actually learning a little history before they gripe about how bad Shadowrun Ninjitsu is:
History of the Ninja
The Illuminated Lantern: Ninja History, Myth, and Cinema
Siege
QUOTE (sable twilight)
Why is it that so many people have it in their heads that Ninjitsu is this super powerful martial art?

Hollywood -- where else?

-Siege
Solstice
I learned the fucking history ass hole.

Don't fucking patronize me with your half page of garbage that any idiot with Google can find out.

I'm talking about IN THE CONTEXT OF THE GAME!

If stealth etc is such an integral part of it, suggest some house rules for helping the "lesser known" aspects get incorporated into the game.

I took disguise as a skill also to try to help make it somewhat realistic. I'm not asking for Bruce Lee. What I'm saying is....if it is not combat oriented it should not be used in SR as a combat skill, it should ecompass other skills/situations besides just melee combat.

Do you not agree?

Ok stop patronizing me thanks.
BitBasher
Do you not agree?
I do not agree

Just because something is silly and ineffective doesn't mean that too many gullible people are going to pay to learn it just because it's naemd "ninjitsu". I think that's reflected quite well in game terms.

It is stupid to take ninjitsu instead of a more useful combat martial art in SR, just as it is IMHO in real life.
Jason Farlander
Woah there, Solstice. Looks like youre taking things a little too personally. Perhaps you should take some Bliss and mellow out.
Solstice
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Do you not agree?
I do not agree

Just because something is silly and ineffective doesn't mean that too many gullible people are going to pay to learn it just because it's naemd "ninjitsu". I think that's reflected quite well in game terms.

It is stupid to take ninjitsu instead of a more useful combat martial art in SR, just as it is IMHO in real life.

as our history friend should let you know:

it's ninjutsu not ninjitsu. biggrin.gif

Look I love this forum but more than a few of you guys have this bad habit of being extremely subtle assholes and sometimes I get sick of it.

What should have been a thread developing into a discussion on how to better do ninjutsu justice in the SR world turned into a "defend the misunderstood martial art from the munchkins".
sable twilight
QUOTE (Solstice)

Don't fucking patronize me with your half page of garbage that any idiot with Google can find out.

If stealth etc is such an integral part of it, suggest some house rules for helping the "lesser known" aspects get incorporated into the game.

I took disguise as a skill also to try to help make it somewhat realistic. I'm not asking for Bruce Lee. What I'm saying is....if it is not combat oriented it should not be used in SR as a combat skill, it should ecompass other skills/situations besides just melee combat.

Do you not agree?

For super special manuvers or bonuses, why should it? For the extra points you paid for Ninjitsu I would say you have connections with a Ninja Clan. That can be a pretty useful in and of itself. (Unless those points from Hunted are because you are bing Hunted by the clan itself)
Playing Games
Hunted is a bad thing?Why?I am an l33t ninja,I kill things and take thieir stuff.I have two mon-dykoted force 10 weapon foci katanas,and shit.

I kill all lone star,cause they are texen...

But back to the real world, game blance isn't everything.The idea that all forms of un-armed combat are equal,is believeable.But some forms have social hang up on them.Like take the idea, I am an humanis tough guy. Do you think orks are going like me? Should I get a cookie, cuase being a part of said club has draw backs?You want to use ninjutsu. Just remember that if your not part of a club,some people will not like the fact you are alive.
moosegod
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 16 2004, 05:38 PM)
Do you not agree?
I do not agree

as our history friend should let you know:

it's ninjutsu not ninjitsu. biggrin.gif

Look I love this forum but more than a few of you guys have this bad habit of being extremely subtle assholes and sometimes I get sick of it.

What should have been a thread developing into a discussion on how to better do ninjutsu justice in the SR world turned into a "defend the misunderstood martial art from the munchkins".

frown.gif You make the moose sad.

Seriously dude, chill. I have scanned the comments and find a total lack of asshole-ness, subtle or otherwise. You asked, people have come out and answered. Sure, you could have found this stuff in google, but isn't it nice that someone found some stuff for you?

And lastly, extinguish.gif, please?
Orient
What exactly is the benefit to taking Ninjutsu?

It's the only martial art listed that allows a character to use its maneuvers with the Whips skill. That counts for something, I guess. I imagine it would be pretty frightening to watch someone using Ground Fighting with a Monowhip...
Feyd 47
Dude, that's just frightening! eek.gif eek.gif
toturi
A couple of things I would like to point out.

1)
Where a Green Barret is trained, not only in combat and fighting, but also how to organize communities and train them to be effective cells of resistance in occupied territories, build shelters, and aspects of civil engineering, a Ninja would be changed in observation, stealth, and disguise.

I don't know where you live, but where I come from Barrets are matt black. Of course, you could customise...

2) Ninjutsu/ninjitsu is a martial art with emphasis on versatility (at least, that is how it is in the Cannon Companion). The Maneuvers are very deadly if you know how to combine them. Also consider this: Dikoted mono-filament whip weapon focus + Evasion + Herding/Zoning or a Blind Strength 20 Cyclops ghoul ninja adept + Blindfights (adept power + maneuver) + Dikoted weapon foci cyberspurs.

Ninjutsu as written in the CC is prone to being too powerful, the Flaw is a good open-ended way of balancing the character taking this art.
mfb
you can't combine manuevers. one manuever per init pass.
Adarael
On Ninjutsu/Ninjitsu...

There's a general way to romaji-ize the Japanese, but there's no standardized way to do so... ergo, one can't really be right or wrong about the spelling of the thing. I imagine, judging by the kana used to enter the graph for 'jutsu', that spelling it with a U is slightly *more* correct, but that's only slightly. Phonetically, it'd be spelled 'jiyutsu', but some of the phonemes blend together.

Jutsu, by the way, is
REM
hell if all you want is sword stuff you can get your gm to let you take kendo or something.
toturi
QUOTE (mfb)
you can't combine manuevers. one manuever per init pass.

Yes, but a ninja with a whip could Evade(to lower the risk of slicing himself), go Full Defense with Zone(again lower risk of hurting himself), then attack at a lower TN. It is the synergy between these maneuvers that I was pointing out.
Digital Heroin
It's oh so much better to be an obvious asshole...

As for the MA giving skill bonuses, hell no. The MA is merely the style of fighting ninja may employ, not the entire regime of training they receive.
Moonstone Spider
How many people have ever had a character with a monowhip? I mean, normal whips are one thing but the monowhip is avail 24, without a GM letting you steal one you never find one on the streets.
k1tsune
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
How many people have ever had a character with a monowhip? I mean, normal whips are one thing but the monowhip is avail 24, without a GM letting you steal one you never find one on the streets.

I'm letting a character have one. Then again, he has amnesia and doesn't know how he got it. vegm.gif
sable twilight
QUOTE (toturi)
Where a Green Barret is trained, not only in combat and fighting, but also how to organize communities and train them to be effective cells of resistance in occupied territories, build shelters, and aspects of civil engineering, a Ninja would be changed in observation, stealth, and disguise.

I don't know where you live, but where I come from Barrets are matt black. Of course, you could customise...

Green Berets, as in the United States Army special forces. I misspelled it previously.
Digital Heroin
If someone in one of games wanted a monowhip, and the rest of the players didn't kick some sense into him, well it's all of their funeral... nyahnyah.gif
RangerJoe
*shudder*

Basically, either you get a monowhip through an uber-face contact (TN 24? sure. have it for you in an hour), or through the gift of the GM (char gen, or as swag).

If you get your hands on a monowhip as swag (looting the corpses), you tend to have bigger problems than if you get it through benevolent chargen, as it usually means you've just whacked a yak, or worse, have cut off his finger (ah, finger compartment/monowhip combos).
Orient

*shrug*
Use it for NPCs... Availability of 24 or no, something like three fourths of all statted 'ninja' NPCs are armed with monowhips.
Fortune
I was going to post a proper response, but thought better of it as I don't want to be labelled a subtle asshole, or viewed as being too patronizing. ohplease.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (toturi)
Dikoted mono-filament whip

Yeah, ok. I'll file that one with rigger brains in Armor: 20 drone jars and ally spirit military armor. nyahnyah.gif
mfb
the one labelled "things to spring on my players", that.
mmu1
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 16 2004, 07:19 PM)
Dikoted mono-filament whip

Yeah, ok. I'll file that one with rigger brains in Armor: 20 drone jars and ally spirit military armor. nyahnyah.gif

Umm... Dikoted mono-filament? You're making the mono-filament deadlier by coating it with something, thus making it thicker?

I know it's probably legit per R.A.W., but that just offends me as someone with an overactive sense of verisimilitude. biggrin.gif
Solstice
QUOTE (Orient)

It's the only martial art listed that allows a character to use its maneuvers with the Whips skill. That counts for something, I guess.

it does, but not to me. I think I'm going to make my own martial art. Using swords, Japanese based.

As for being involved with a Ninja clan...I wouldn't classify that as any kind of benefit, in fact in my case it's a definite disadvantage since that is who is hunting you when you take the hunted flaw...your a renegade.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Solstice)

Do you not agree?

I got kicked for a week because I mentioned that I wanted to make a phys ad troll with improved buggering-elves and increased attribute - penis, and this guy gets away with this? WTF?
toturi
Go ahead, make a report, go tattle-tale. Whatever gives you your highs.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Feb 16 2004, 02:34 PM)
Wha, wha I take offense to insults that don't exist.

I got kicked for a week because I mentioned that I wanted to make a phys ad troll with improved buggering-elves and increased attribute - penis

Ok... I nearly pissed myself laughing at the thought of that Troll, being that adepts are my forte, and Troll adepts are a personal guilty pleasure of mine... being that they're downright brutal...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012