Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kowloon Massacre Awesomeness!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Okay, here's the story. After you read it help me figure out how to exploit it and warn me of consequences I might miss.

My character is a very experienced elf (we started the game in 2069 and worked many adventures) who has a legal S.I.N. and is an arcology survivor. He's been through hell and fears nothing (Guts quality and lucky quality). Due to how I built the character and spent my karma he has a Charisma of 9, a Willpower of 7 and an Edge of 7. I had spent no edge and had a light wound which I was able to ignore duue to pain resistance.

During this adventure I had a string of bad luck. A critical glitch killed my SMG. I used all the ammo in my Salvalette. I was the last man to the helicopter and got left behind! Chasing us down was the ox-headed Yama King. The GM told me to write up a new character for the next session.

Hell no!

As some of you may know I despise deus ex machina and I demanded to face down the Yama King. The GM hummed and hawed, then said "okay."

One of the players yelled and tossed his gun to me from the retreating chopper...and it missed and clattered away. So, there I am, about to go one on one with this spirit. So, of course, it's time for trash talking. I yell at Yama-head that I'm gonna rip his head off his shoulders and mount it on my wall! Then we close for melee. I use one edge to get an extra initiative pass (for two passes).

I win initiative and go for an attack of will, using my edge. Due to the rule of six I got 7 successes! The GM rolls (in front of us all, no less, just to prove he was being fair) and glitches on his dodge test. He spends an edge on a reroll and gets one extra success, reducing my humungous amount of damage down to moderate (6 boxes!) Now it's his turn. He breathes fire at me and I make my dodge test (again with edge). No damage! My turn again. Another edge assisted attack of will and I smack him for another 4 boxes of damage! Next turn. I again use an edge assisted attack of will, this time only doing 2 boxes of damage. I edge the dodge test and take 4 boxes of damage myself from his big hammer. So, now I have -2 dice for everything.

My turn. I make yet another edge assisted attack of will. 9 SUCCESSES! Good gawd I love having a high edge score! This takes him out! The GM burns a point of edge for him, keeping him alive. He completely misses his next attack. My next attack gets 2 successes and takes him out again!

So, he GM ends it with me standing there on the roof, triumphant and out of edge while ox-head melts into a bunch of wormy things and they all fade away. The rest of the group is going, "Holy crap!"

I asked why the guy didn't just fade away and my GM responded that , "There was no way this Yama King was going to concede defeat to some pissant mundane metahuman! He had some pride! What would he tell all his Yama King friends? He'd never hear the end of it."

Now, how can I use this to my advantage? What do I have to look out for? It'll be a couple weeks before we get to play again.
LurkerOutThere
Honestly I'd ask the GM (and I say this bieng a GM myself) for your character awakening as an adept a bit right there on the spot, nothing too huge but maybe a point of magic or so. I'd also definitely give you a few free points of banishing to use on future attack of will effects. Have to say pretty coold story and you got pretty lucky.
Samoth
It reminds me of a story back from SR2 around 1994. Our decker fell off the back of our getaway speedboat, and with nothing other than a katana (and no armed combat skill) managed to defeat a kraken in hand to hand combat.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
That's a cool idea, Lurker, but I was thinking more about reputation and stuff.

Gaining a magic point would be a bit unfair to the rest of the group. We like to keep our karma and stuff about even. Maybe letting me spend karma on it would be neat, though.
Ryu
Your character gets to tell a story that is cool and impressive at the same time. Word will get around. Depending on your character you can get some at least asien-wide reputation, or status with some very powerful behind-the-scenes groups, as you will have proven to be an asset.
LurkerOutThere
Yea spending might be more appropriate, I was mostly referiring that I think beating up on an entity like the Yama king marks you in some ways. I think the biggest issue with rep is that many won't believe you or that it was you. Your reputation might or may not be helped but your going to have to do more then alittle bit of braging to cement things, on the other hand that bragging may attract unwanted attention.
Angelone
An edge refill and the My Pimphand is Strong achievment.
Wandering One
Of course, the question is what did the character do immediately after as the rest of Kowloon swarmed the top of the building in a screaming insane mass of humanity bent on tearing your limbs off and using them as shishkabobs...
Abschalten
I've had some pretty cool stories but never anything like this.

Good show. smile.gif

notworthy.gif
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Wandering One @ May 12 2010, 03:27 PM) *
Of course, the question is what did the character do immediately after as the rest of Kowloon swarmed the top of the building in a screaming insane mass of humanity bent on tearing your limbs off and using them as shishkabobs...

Errr you mean the screaming mass of humanity peeling away from the guy who just break the back of yama king in front of them? That screaming mass?
Wandering One
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 12 2010, 03:25 PM) *
Errr you mean the screaming mass of humanity peeling away from the guy who just break the back of yama king in front of them? That screaming mass?

*holds up a finger starting to to say something* *closes jaw*

Point: Lurker.
Minchandre
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 12 2010, 04:25 PM) *

This. I don't care if "He's doubtlessly tired from pimpslapping the Yama King, and should be easy to kill now," I'm not going near anyone who just pimpslapped a Yama King. There is not enough money in the world.
Backgammon
The Triads are a very superstitious bunch (this being Shadowrun, this may be with good reason). And everyone in Kowloon know about the Yama Kings. So I'd say every Triad footman is gonna stay the fuck away from you. Triad bosses, a more pragmatic bunch, are going to try to use you. Any Triad boss associated to the Yama King Killer is gonna get mad cred and move up the ranks really quickly. So, you've just become a political chess piece.
Falconer
I'd say the GM didn't play the spirit even remotely correctly...

where were the spirits powers?! Confusion, fear, etc... Why didn't the spirit just move/levitate out of range of melee and elemental attack you to death... this is supposedly an Int/log/wil 9 spirit. How is it you closed to melee w/o it even pulling off any ranged attacks. At least it should have shown some brains... as well as rolled melee defense (attribute + skill) + soak... Seriously, this comes up all the time w/ DnD dragons, very smart spirits, etc.... they get played like utter dopes.

As for what the player should get... an enemy quality. He's now royally torqued off a free spirit, while only temporarily inconveniencing it for a few weeks. That spirit will be back, and the player will have it's comeuppance (and probably dead). Player has better have a mage on permenant security retainer... that is if the spirit doesn't just pay someone to pop a cap into him from a klick away. Really, the player doesn't have the means to permanently eliminate the spirit... so he's got a major recurring headache on his hands now. (especially since the spirit can astrally travel to pretty much anywhere in a hurry and make his life miserable).

Triads will probably try and kill you to get on the spirits good side. Forget running away in fear. There will be others who will think exactly that, lucky fluke, and be out to off you just to show they're tougher as well.
Manunancy
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 13 2010, 12:25 AM) *

Isn't that a mass of crazed junkies who aren't exactly susceptible to fear ? (I haven't the book and can't remember the effects of their dosing, but I have a feeling it's something like berzerk, fearles agression)
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Falconer @ May 12 2010, 09:51 PM) *
I'd say the GM didn't play the spirit even remotely correctly...

where were the spirits powers?! Confusion, fear, etc... Why didn't the spirit just move/levitate out of range of melee and elemental attack you to death... this is supposedly an Int/log/wil 9 spirit. How is it you closed to melee w/o it even pulling off any ranged attacks. At least it should have shown some brains... as well as rolled melee defense (attribute + skill) + soak... Seriously, this comes up all the time w/ DnD dragons, very smart spirits, etc.... they get played like utter dopes.

As for what the player should get... an enemy quality. He's now royally torqued off a free spirit, while only temporarily inconveniencing it for a few weeks. That spirit will be back, and the player will have it's comeuppance (and probably dead). Player has better have a mage on permenant security retainer... that is if the spirit doesn't just pay someone to pop a cap into him from a klick away. Really, the player doesn't have the means to permanently eliminate the spirit... so he's got a major recurring headache on his hands now. (especially since the spirit can astrally travel to pretty much anywhere in a hurry and make his life miserable).

Triads will probably try and kill you to get on the spirits good side. Forget running away in fear. There will be others who will think exactly that, lucky fluke, and be out to off you just to show they're tougher as well.

I knew a post like this would happen. Do we need to be hostile about something that happenned a bit on the fly and had a result that was so unexpected? Nobody is perfect, it happenned and it is over so now I have to deal with the fallout, both good and bad.

As for why he fought mano-a-mano: this was also asked. The GM made the call on the fly that said spirit really liked his big hammer. He did try an elemental blast (fire breath) and completely failed. Fear would have been tough to use on my character with a 7 willpower and the guts quality. The GM decided not to bother as he expected to mop the floor with me. He didn't run because "There's no way some pissant little mortal mundane can harm me!" was his mentality. He was in no real danger as he can just come back again.

Also, this was 4 ROUNDS OF COMBAT! From zero to hero in under 30 seconds! I fully expected to be turned to goo without any such spell and got lucky. That's what edge is for! I already anticipate an A+ level recurring enemy.

There is a mage on the team. I'm sure he'll come in handy.

Now, let's please not turn this into a "what was done wrong" thread and keep it what I intended it to be: bragging rights and asking about consequences!

last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Wandering One @ May 12 2010, 02:27 PM) *

Immediately after is next game session.
NetWraith
I agree, let the man have his moment of glory(before he's sucked into an unrelenting hell by his GM.) As a GM myself I make some calls on the fly that don't seem to make sense at the time we go on and just make sure to catch it next time. If I were the GM I'd have probably went the same direction with this and as long as everyone had a good time it's ok. I'm sure it would've been a good story to tell around the gaming table even if the end result had been his failure.

I have to say that it was a cool story.
AngelisStorm
Spirit Bane: Yama King
Latent Awakening
Fame: Local

Enemy: that Yama King
+1 dam to all future Attacks of Will

1pt Street Cred
1pt Notoriety

Full Edge refill, as he now has to survive the chaos of Kolwoon and escape. cool.gif

Your milage will vary.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Gawd I sure hope I get some edge back! All the guy has is the SMG that was tossed to him (assuming it still works. It was dropped a good 5 meters) with whatever ammo is left in it, his commlink, his armour (which isn't too bad, actually) and his skills. Stealth group 4 don't fail me now! Or perhaps Influence group 4 + intimidation 5 will work better...
Udoshi
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ May 12 2010, 10:52 PM) *

There's a martial arts style that does that Kiai/Tai Chi. Its one of the style advantages, and doesn't even need a maneuver, and you can take it up to three times for +1DV each. You can also combine it with the Focus Will maneuver, for two extra dice, if you have a moment to concentrate before striking.

Other than that, I pretty much have to agree with angelis's list.
Udoshi
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 12 2010, 11:12 PM) *
Gawd I sure hope I get some edge back! All the guy has is the SMG that was tossed to him (assuming it still works. It was dropped a good 5 meters) with whatever ammo is left in it, his commlink, his armour (which isn't too bad, actually) and his skills. Stealth group 4 don't fail me now! Or perhaps Influence group 4 + intimidation 5 will work better...

that's it? No armor, no grenades, no gecko-tip gloves to crawl your way to escape and eventual victory?

Also, if you're going to do something about the Yama King coming back to punk your ass, you should start doing it before it gets over being Disrupted.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
He has armour. Armour jacket with electrical resistance and chemical resistance upgrade and that thing from arsenal (I forget it's name) that protects your vitals and joints, adding impact armour. Crap! I hate forgetting names! I'm too lazy to go look it up right now, though.

Nope. No grenades, no gecko gloves and an athletics group skill of exactly one! I figure I'm gonna need intimidation a lot. Do ya think laying the smackdown on that Yama King's candyass will give me a bonus?
Makki
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 13 2010, 09:42 AM) *
I figure I'm gonna need intimidation a lot. Do ya think laying the smackdown on that Yama King's candyass will give me a bonus?

At the gamemaster’s discretion, additional points may be added
to a character’s Street Cred for any epic adventures, stunning victories

Street Cred applies as a dice pool bonus to any applicable Social Skill
Test in which the character’s reputation is known and is a factor. For
example, a fixer with a Street Cred of 3 would receive a +3 dice pool
modifier when making an Intimidation Test. Note that this modifier
only applies when the character is dealing with people who are aware
of her reputation.

that's exactly, what i'd give you. about 5? (because, thats what my gm gave me smile.gif ). As long as you don't hide and disguise, word will spread fast through kowloon and the triads...plus an edge refill of course...
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (Udoshi @ May 13 2010, 02:06 AM) *
There's a martial arts style that does that Kiai/Tai Chi. Its one of the style advantages, and doesn't even need a maneuver, and you can take it up to three times for +1DV each. You can also combine it with the Focus Will maneuver, for two extra dice, if you have a moment to concentrate before striking.

Other than that, I pretty much have to agree with angelis's list.

I know. And since Enemies are supposed to use the same pt chart as contacts (so from 2-12, unless they are groups?), I figured a Yama would balance out a quality that is effectively a 5pt martial art quality. Things might need to be adjusted up and down.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ May 13 2010, 01:52 AM) *
Spirit Bane: Yama King
Latent Awakening
Fame: Local

Enemy: that Yama King

1pt Street Cred
1pt Notoriety

Full Edge refill, as he now has to survive the chaos of Kolwoon and escape. cool.gif

Your milage will vary.

I also like these suggestions.
Ascalaphus
I like the idea of balancing a positive with a negative quality. So perhaps the character discovers the first technique of a Kiai-like attack-of-will martial art, which could later be developed further. To balance that, he gains an Enemy.

And definitely a few points of Street Cred and Edge refill.
Adarael
I'm totally with Backgammon on this one. Any NPC in a game I was running - especially superstitious Triad types - would want to stay the hell away from your PC or use him for their own ends. They don't get to see rolls or penalties or any of that jazz. They just know that this guy totally just beat a minor god to death with his hands - a minor god that has been a plague and terror upon Kowloon for as long as they can remember. A god that's pretty much one of the scariest things ever. I don't know about you, but *I* would be scared of that guy, even if I was some kind of hard-core killer, because that shit is a cut above.

And also, I think "No puny mundane mortal can harm me, and I love my axe" is a totally rational thing for a free force 8 or 9 shadow spirit to be thinking. Because when I ran that scene, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking, and I damn near killed half the party.
But then the Yama King got shot in the face with a huge rifle, and that ended his day.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Well, I just read an email from my gm. He talked with the other players (setting stuff up because they have been separated from me) and we're gonna do a one on one session to rejoin.

It was told to me that the guncam on the SMG that was tossed to me was on. He made a randon dice roll with a trusty D8 to see which way it was pointing when it landed. It seems the thing recorded the fight and the team watched the whole thing and knows he's still alive.

Personally I think the GM arbitrarily decided that and said he rolled a D8 as cover.
Daddy's Little Ninja
One key thing is going to be how the yama think of this. Do not think about 'edges' and 'flaws' and 'glitches' but just the straight role playing. You are the fragger who went toe to toe with a way powerful beingh and defeated it in single combat. this is the sort of thing which they would right songs about a few centuries back and folk tales. If you behave honorably and with due humility and respect for the act, culturally you will gain mega cred.

As for the spirits unless someone is really mean spirited, no pun intended, they will probably respond the same way. there should not be any plans for revenge you need worry about unless you've been a disrespectful jerk gaijin shooting off his mouth. "We fought, I was better." is fine. "I whipped his mother fragging butt back where it belonged' is not.
Ryu
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 13 2010, 06:46 PM) *
Personally I think the GM arbitrarily decided that and said he rolled a D8 as cover.

He totally took that old test and determined he himself was a "D8"-ish type. Good luck&good ride!
Banaticus
"You know, nobody's really fought that Yama spirit for a long time now, he's just had an awesome reputation. He must have been getting old. Now some punk guy came and beat him up with his bare hands and everyone thinks he's a hero. Well, if I go beat him up, then I'll be the hero, right? How tough can this punk human be?"
Daddy's Little Ninja
If the hero is properly respectful of his act, then this attitude might bring the Yama down on the head of the loud mouth. "You think I'm old punk? Try me!!!!"
Falconer
So lets get this straight... a Signal rating 0 (or 1 maybe) smartgun was picked up how many miles away and viewed ?!

Yet somehow, you couldn't just call them afterwards on your commlink and ask how mom was doing?!

Sorry I call BS. (dice and all)

Don't get me wrong here. I just like there to be some challenge in my games, and not simply papering over things. To the OP... you were obscenely lucky w/ dice, we get it. Doesn't mean there's not consequences or the GM played something which is supposedly extremely smart, brutal, and dangerous dumb. The whole thing just seems kinda silly in the way it plays out and the way things coincidentally work for you in the end.

Point: if he had used confusion on you... you'd be down to longshot tests... (like the classic Mr Lucky build that you are). As taking a -3 to 6 penalty on everything you did would have sucked royally and made a huge difference. This is what I mean... that spirit is designed to literally 'sow waste and confusion' :). If the spirit had edged confusion on you after that first lucky hit... stop and think how badly it would have hurt getting hammered down (literally, knockdown rules are a !@#!@#).

Sorry DLJ:
This is a large and powerful free spirit. I actually like the suggestion of giving a positive and a negative quality.
Enemy and a martial art power (and maneuver or two) seems entirely fitting to the character... not so sure on latent awakening of any sort (not a fan of that one.. it strikes me as the I'm going to cyber up... then go magic at bargain prices!). Even spirit bane (earth? free spirits? etc.) is kinda fitting though less so than enemy in my book. Especially sneaky qualities if he manages to sneak out. (I'm all for the OP sneaking out alive and doing it by his wits and abilities... I just don't find the original post that the GM played the thing dumb and I got lucky all that postworthy).

The character has done the equivalent of making an enemy out of a dragon (not a great one). As far as the rest... like triads... who saw him do it?! No one, where's the spectators. How's his 'rep' supposed to get out, outside of him shooting off his own mouth. How long til some troll just knocks him down a peg just to show he's tougher than some pansy ass elf who claims to maul a yama king.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
As I said, the DM made the call on the fly. I dunno if the Yama King had confusion or not. I could ask, but I actually don't care. I'm still gonna soak in the whole "I killed a Yama King" vibe...Ooooh! Maybe I'll ask to be able to spend karma on the Nasty Vibe Surge quality... That'd be pretty cool. Guts + Nasty Vibe...I kinda like that.

I wonder what other spirits will think of this since spirits seem to know when stuff like that happens (or at least in this game I'm in they do).
Adarael
Checking on it real quick, it appears that Chin You, the spirit in question, has the following powers as written:

Astral Form
Banishing Resistance
Confusion
Elemental Attack (Blast)
Enhanced Senses (Hearing, Low-Light and Thermographic Vision)
Fear, Immunity (Age, *Normal Weapons, Pathogens, Toxins)
Magical Guard
Materialization
Sapience
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Okay, I'm back from my 1 on 1 session.

First thing I did was go pick up the SMG. I check the ammo in it (there's 11 bullets of regular ammo left). I fire a test shot. The GM has me roll an edge test to see if it fires right and straight. I tell him I don't have any edge left and is he refilling it? He says , "no" (Gah!) and that this is not spending edge. I get 3 hits and he says it fires fine. I check out the gun cam and say, "Hey, how did it they get it to transmit while flying away in a helicopter anyway?" He replies, after a pause, that the hacker/technomancer (he has both sets of computer skills) hacked my link (signal 5) and got it to link up to the cam. I go, "Okay," and immediately check to see if my link saved it. It did.

Next I quickly survey from the roof. People are fleeing as Yama Kings gorge. So...I hide up on the roof for a while and deal with my injuries (for fluff. No game effect). After a couple hours I check it out again. It seems abandoned so I head into the building. Some people are hiding in it and seem surprised to see me. I give my best, "Don't mess with me," vibe and roll intimidate. The GM decides my 2 hits are enough.

I load up my Chinese program and pick a guy out (turns out to be a girl) and say, "You, come here" and make a leadership test with 3 hits. The GM had not expected that but went with it. I end up using her as a guide to find my way around. I make stealth group checks now and then to avoid trouble, generally averaging 1-2 hits (darned moderate wound penalty). As we go one pair of guys decide to come at me with knifes. I shoot them both once, one bullet each and wound them. One of them soaks it for just a light wound and continues. I dodge and soak his attack and smash him with my rifle The other joker joins the fight.

Long story short: I now have a serious wound, two less bullets and a pair of knives. A single hit on a leadership test was enough to keep the girl around after I gave her a knife.

So, my guide leads me toward the exit to Kowloon, as far away from the triad base as we can manage. Then a big troll and his two ork buddies decide to hassle me! Apparently my stealth wasn't good enough this time. I realize that I'm screwed...so I try and bluff my way out of it. I say, "Oh, this isn't my blood on me" and act defiant, yet respectful. "We fight, I shoot you. Best case scenario: you still win but you're wounded. What are your odds of surviving the night?" I make my roll (9 dice, darned serious wound penalty) and get 3 hits. The troll gets testy so I shoot a short burst into him. He has a serious wound after that (he had 1 point of ballistic armour I discovered) and tries to sick his buddies on me. They decide the troll isn't worth dying for.

More stealth rolls evade other people but not a pack of devil rats! "Oh crap!" sayeth I. I roll a straight charisma test (?) with 6 dice (darned serious wound modifier) and get enough hits (1, I think) that the rats decide I'm too dangerous to mess with.

At this point I say, "You know, I'm really not rolling well enough to have this level of success." The GM grins and says, "That's right. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?" It turns out that I'm a walking background count! He rolled dice behind the screen that added to my dice on any social test because I've got Yama King Haze on me and nobody wants to piss me off! It will fade away overnight, I learn later.

I get to the end of Kowloon and have to climb the wall. My guide doesn't want to leave with me. I tell her that I have to get a coffin anyway (coffin hotel) and I'll get her one for the night too. She can use the amenities of the place while she's there. One seduction test later and she's perfectly happy to come with me.

I end up at a coffin and get some sleep. The next day I make arrangements to contact my employers. The girl has showered (and washed her rags while wearing them) and is much cleaner and in a better mood after a ration bar from the vending machine. She asks where ox-head went? I tell her we fought and he came in second. She outright doesn't believe me. I show her the fight on my link and her whole attitude changes! I roll a diplomacy and a leadership test (9 dice for each) and she gets a case of hero worship! Seeing an opportunity I use the spare time to get us both some clean new clothes at a nearby department store. She really likes that. I also buy a medkit and use it on both of us.

I meet up with the triad and, to make a long story short, I ask for additional payment and transportation to my team. I show them the footage of the escape on my link to prove success and let them see the fight. They were stone faced and betrayed nothing but I did get nuyen from them.

Finally, I contact my team and ask where they are. I find out and amd told we'e wrapping it up there. I get an additional 5 karma for the whole thing and 2 reputation points...and a sidekick! The girl is basically my reward! Loyalty 6, connection 1 contact. I glare at my GM and he says, "What? That's what you get! You didn't kill a dragon on like trideo, you know!"

He assures me that there will be campaign effects but as for immediate reward that is it. frown.gif
Backgammon
I only read the last paragraph, but if you got a Loyalty 6 girl, that's a pretty good reward. She'll do anything for you, Mikey. Anything. Use your imagination smile.gifnyahnyah.gif
Saint Sithney
You may need to pay extra nuyen for specially modified pants to house your Huge Balls, but there's really no way that anyone can tell that you beat down a Yama King with Attacks of Will instead of mad-stacked Adept powers.

In fact, a Physad spec'ed for H2H could have cleaned that Yama King's clock in half a CT if it closed range with him.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Backgammon @ May 16 2010, 06:23 PM) *
I only read the last paragraph, but if you got a Loyalty 6 girl, that's a pretty good reward. She'll do anything for you, Mikey. Anything. Use your imagination smile.gifnyahnyah.gif

You're a bad person, Backgammon!

It's not your actions that are bad. Its you that's bad!
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ May 17 2010, 02:15 AM) *
You may need to pay extra nuyen for specially modified pants to house your Huge Balls, but there's really no way that anyone can tell that you beat down a Yama King with Attacks of Will instead of mad-stacked Adept powers.

In fact, a Physad spec'ed for H2H could have cleaned that Yama King's clock in half a CT if it closed range with him.

Oh, I'm sure a few initiates assensing my aura would satisfy that I'm mundane and have reduced sessence due to my 'ware. Sleep regulators should be require'd 'ware for runners!
Falconer
Either that or you're a serious high-initiate grade high-magic adept, with masking.

One thing I dislike about this edition, is it's exceedingly difficult to pierce masking as time goes on.

(Magic + intuition + initiate grade) vs (Intuition + Assensing)
3 dice pools vs. 2... by the time you have 2 or 3 initiations it's almost no contest.
Bira
All in all, a pretty cool story.

Killing a Yama King in single combat is a pretty impressive feat, and is surely worth a reputation bonus. Doesn't matter whether they believe you're mundane or not, they'll sure believe you're a badass. In fact, if they believe you're a massively Initiated adept with enough masking to disguise yourself from any astral scrutiny, as Falconer seems to imply, you're even better off, because they'll be even more afraid of you.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Bira @ May 19 2010, 12:59 PM) *
All in all, a pretty cool story.

Killing a Yama King in single combat is a pretty impressive feat, and is surely worth a reputation bonus. Doesn't matter whether they believe you're mundane or not, they'll sure believe you're a badass. In fact, if they believe you're a massively Initiated adept with enough masking to disguise yourself from any astral scrutiny, as Falconer seems to imply, you're even better off, because they'll be even more afraid of you.

I should mention that in a brawl with a tough human gang member he'd have his butt handed to him. He's better with guns than melee.
Krrayn
Dumb question, what exactly is an "attack of will"?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Krrayn @ Jun 3 2010, 01:00 PM) *
Dumb question, what exactly is an "attack of will"?

Your character wishing very very hard that the spirit sticks its head up its own ass and takes a hike nyahnyah.gif

But in all seriousness, you use your Willpower to damage a spirit. I'd be more specific but I'm away from books.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Simply put: you substitute Willpower for Unarmed Combat when fighting spirits. You then use your Charisma score as the number of boxes of damage the spirit has to resist. This allows you to ignore it's invulnerability at the cost of dicepool. However if you have a high edge and use it... you get to write an O.B.Y.K.uary!*

*One Banished Yama King.*
Yerameyahu
Nifty.
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/03/mad-3...ze-city-of.html
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Now, the follow up.

I have been offered a single piece of betaware! I asked if I could get a Move-By-Wire 3 with a skillwire expert system and the gm got a horrified look on his face and said, "No!" He let me have a Synaptic Booster 3, though. Yay! I also arranged for my new minion to get some cosmetic and rejuvenating work done as part of the deal (since she helped me escape). She gets Silky Skin and Clean Metabolism (all standard 'ware) as well as a tough of gene therapy to make her healthy again and a minor modification. all in all that cost me 10 000 nuyen.

The triad offered me a position within them which I turned down. Politely. Very politely and after appearing to think hard on it (yay bluff skill!). Our team did get offered a premium to kick some ass in a retributive strike, though, which we accepted. We each get 25 000 to wreck a home base, 25 000 per head of opposing triad leadership (not the way high ups. Just the lower leadership. We'd have charged way more for the really big guys) and all our gear will be supplied. Our mage really liked that one!

So, before I get my new ware we gotta do this pair of missions (We'll probably get 100 000 nuyen each!) against the two triads. We get maps, pictures of triad members, etc. and start trying to find them. We don't ever engage, just find 'em. We spy on 'em a bit and learn what we can. We discover that the two opposing triads are gonna have a little get together so we decide to crash it.

Long story short we, after some difficulty, get the job done and make the Black Crysanthimums really happy! They make me happy by installing my 'ware! Later we leave with the lady we were protecting in Kowloon. Apparently she has work for us far away from Hong Kong!
Krrayn
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ Jun 4 2010, 12:16 AM) *
Simply put: you substitute Willpower for Unarmed Combat when fighting spirits. You then use your Charisma score as the number of boxes of damage the spirit has to resist. This allows you to ignore it's invulnerability at the cost of dicepool. However if you have a high edge and use it... you get to write an O.B.Y.K.uary!*

*One Banished Yama King.*

Got a book/page reference?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012