Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drones & Tacnet
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Udoshi
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jun 2 2010, 08:59 PM) *
And yes in the SR4 book it listed that the AR bonus is +2, I don't know if it's in the SR4a book anymore.

Way to misquote. the 'Using augmented reality visual display help' is a +1 to +4 bonus.
on 4a 135
.... for language skills as a situational modifier.

Good job grasping at straws.
Falconer
My exact words you QUOTED were... "I don't know if it's in the SR4a book anymore." If you're going to slight someone... try reading what they wrote.

If you're going to go with stuff like that... under building and repairs it's only a +2 fixed still. (+2 for AR, +1 if you have blueprints).

And language skills w/ linguasoft aids doing on the fly translations are NOWHERE NEAR as disruptive as a +4 bonus to practically all combat actions. In fact it's a good way to grease gameplay by making things like language test rolls less of a problem.

Yera:
Yeah that implementation of 'passive' is just outright broken... more than happy it isn't in there. Yeah I'm not doing anything, but I'm getting a wiggy +2 on top of my smartgun and other junk just because my friend has it. And info-guided indirect attacks DO give a dice bonus of sorts! it changes blind-fire from -6 to -4... and allows you to add net hits from the sensor active targetting test to your attack pool... so yes it is adding dice you wouldn't otherwise have.
Udoshi
If you're going to -insist- on a dice pool bonus in the books, the least you can do is show your page numbers so other people can look at the bonus and see what it does for themselves, instead of relying on your interpretation of 'its in the book somewhere, i swear! but it does this!'

Seriously, when discussing the rules, its common courtesy.

Udoshi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 2 2010, 09:21 PM) *
I don't want the indirect attack, though. I want passive TacNet participation, because it makes sense.

I know I pointed this out in another thread, but passive tacnet participation does have some bonuses. While you may not get dice bonuses, you do get to see everything the rest of the network does, and benefit from the network's data search engine, and the rest of the other things listed under Tacnet Information. Mapping, especially, would be useful, even if you're not getting dice for it.
rumanchu
"Depending on the situation, AR can be a bonus or a detriment. In
most cases, AR will be beneficial simply by providing useful information.
If it directly aids a task you are undertaking, such as overlaying
internal schematics, help features, and real-time diagnostics while repairing
an item, then the gamemaster can apply an appropriate dice
pool modifier (usually +1 but possibly as high as +3) to the test.

AR can also be an important tactical aid. If your runner team is
operating a linked PAN network, sharing data in real time—camera
feeds, drone sensor pickups, interactive maps, etc.—you’re going to have
a tactical edge. At the gamemaster’s discretion, this advantage can come
in the form of extra dice for certain tests, applying an Initiative bonus to
each meshed member of the team, a Surprise Test for the opposition, etc." (SR4A, p.225)

"Using augmented reality visual display help" grants a bonus between +1 and +4 to Language Skill tests (SR4A, p.135)

"Augmented Reality Enhanced" plans or reference materials grants +2 to Build/Repair tests (SR4A, p.138)

"Characters who are physically driving/piloting with the aid of augmented
reality (they have subscribed to the vehicle as a service) receive
a +1 dice pool modifier on all Vehicle Tests. If they are remotely
controlling the vehicle, they receive no bonus." (SR4A, p.168)

Ascalaphus
I can see why "passive" members don't get a full bonus; the TacNet bonus is built around the network analyzing what all participants known and want to do, and then trying to optimize. In other words, the TacNet needs information from you to help you to the best of its ability.

Of course, the Unwired system is just ridiculous and unwieldy. My earlier suggestion is a lot less clunky.
Yerameyahu
I guess that's a justification, but I still think knowing where everyone is, where they're looking, etc. works even without contributing. Oh well. smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jun 3 2010, 04:44 AM) *
I can see why "passive" members don't get a full bonus; the TacNet bonus is built around the network analyzing what all participants known and want to do, and then trying to optimize. In other words, the TacNet needs information from you to help you to the best of its ability.

Then why can't a TacNet R4 supply a +3 bonus to someone who can only supply 6 sensor channels? (eg. enough for a TacNet R3)
LurkerOutThere
Because it's an abstract system of rules used to decide how things work in a world based around corporate espionage magic and shooting people in the face for money? One could certainly make an argument either way but by the books if you can't contribute you can't participate, if you can convince your GM otherwise great. Honestly the best use for a tacnet goes beyond jsut the mechanical bonus the tacnet taking the work form your character of marking hostiles and objectives and highlighting important things for your team mate on top of the AR benefits makes for compelling fights and story telling, for me it helps my players get into mission impossible mode.
Yerameyahu
I'm not saying that's not RAW. I'm saying it's unsatisfying that members can't participate in a TacNet with a number of inputs ranging from 0+. It would be better if the rules used a more flexible system, that's all. smile.gif
Draco18s
Basically the question is not, "Why is a tacnet such and such?" with an answer of "because that's what the rules say."

The quesion is "why do the rules say that?"

Any attempt to say it is because the rules are written that way is Begging the Question.
sabs
If someone had "Gremlins" at I think 20.
How would they interact with a tacnet, and how would that work out with the other players?
Draco18s
Someone should punch you for even trying.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 3 2010, 10:54 PM) *
If someone had "Gremlins" at I think 20.
How would they interact with a tacnet, and how would that work out with the other players?

The gremlins count as sensor channels nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012