Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancer Combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (rumanchu @ Jun 13 2010, 03:33 PM) *
I understand that the sustaining penalty is there in order to balance Mages out so that they don't run around with 15 spells sustained (without, as you mentioned, using spirits for foci to sustain some of them), but I find that the extremely narrow reading of "all other tests" is flawed...if only because 10 of the spells in the main book end up having thresholds or penalties not spelled out in their text as written. (Not to mention the fact that it's doesn't make sense to even CONTEMPLATE the prospect of the sustaining penalty for a spell factoring into the initial casting roll; it should be rather self-evident that an uncast spell cannot be sustained, after all).

That being said, in looking at Third Edition, sustaining spells assigned a penalty to *all* tests (well, technically, it added to the TN, but potato/potato), so it's not impossible that the 4E rules were designed to use the more narrow (IMHO) interpretation of "all other tests", though it seems silly to me.

I agree that you would not suffer the sustaining penalty to actually cast the spell (Assuming that you are not actually sustaining a spell already)... But, If you are already sustaining a spell, you will then suffer the penalty on any other spells you cast...

And "All Tests" is exactly that... if you have a sustaining penalty, it will apply to ALL tests...

Keep the Faith
rumanchu
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 13 2010, 04:15 PM) *
I agree that you would not suffer the sustaining penalty to actually cast the spell (Assuming that you are not actually sustaining a spell already)... But, If you are already sustaining a spell, you will then suffer the penalty on any other spells you cast...

And "All Tests" is exactly that... if you have a sustaining penalty, it will apply to ALL tests...

Keep the Faith

It doesn't say "all tests", though; it says "all other tests". My point of contention is that the premise that it applies to every test save the initial Spellcasting test brings the interpretation that someone who gets two successes on an Increase Initiative test is going to suffer a net PENALTY to their Initiative tests if they are sustaining it on themselves. (For the point of this particular point, I am assuming that Increase Initiative is the only spell being sustained by the caster). Maybe I'm just being a stickler for no good reason, but it seems inane to use the term"all other tests" if there are practically no tests involving a particular sustained spell that are free from being penalized for solely sustaining it. If the sustaining rules actually *said* that the penalty applied to all tests there wouldn't be a question about it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (rumanchu @ Jun 13 2010, 05:36 PM) *
It doesn't say "all tests", though; it says "all other tests". My point of contention is that the premise that it applies to every test save the initial Spellcasting test brings the interpretation that someone who gets two successes on an Increase Initiative test is going to suffer a net PENALTY to their Initiative tests if they are sustaining it on themselves. (For the point of this particular point, I am assuming that Increase Initiative is the only spell being sustained by the caster). Maybe I'm just being a stickler for no good reason, but it seems inane to use the term"all other tests" if there are practically no tests involving a particular sustained spell that are free from being penalized for solely sustaining it. If the sustaining rules actually *said* that the penalty applied to all tests there wouldn't be a question about it.

Well, If you do not have the spell already cast, then there would be no penalty, but if it is, then you would be penalized for All Other Tests... meaning everything but the initial spellcasting roll for a First SUstained Spell... It does indeed apply to your Initiative rolls as well, which is really okay, as the spell provides you with extra passes you would not have had access to otherwise... penalizing you for -2 dice is really not that big of a deal really... I do think that you are being a "Stickler for no good reason" as you so eloquently put it... They used a clarifying word that was not really necessary in my opinion, but it still makes sense to me anyways...

It's no big thing really...

Keep the Faith
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (rumanchu @ Jun 13 2010, 07:36 PM) *

I think you are right. They said all other tests for a reason. If I cast a increase agility spell on myself and sustain it I will not be getting a -2 for sustaining the spell for my various agility tests I may have. They said other so when you cast a spell to improve something you actually improve it. Look at magic fingers as probably a better example you are not at -4 to all tests with your magic fingers just the -2 mentioned in the spell and not -2 + an additional -2 for sustaining. These spells are supposed to be functional without having to be magical gods and without needing a focus or spirit to sustain it.

Also I believe there is a general rule that unless specified penalties do not effect damage resistance tests, though they do effect your reaction tests to avoid the injury.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 14 2010, 05:30 AM) *
Look at magic fingers as probably a better example you are not at -4 to all tests with your magic fingers just the -2 mentioned in the spell and not -2 + an additional -2 for sustaining. These spells are supposed to be functional without having to be magical gods and without needing a focus or spirit to sustain it.
I think you misunderstand the rules there. The spell's description has to mention the extra penalty, because otherwise you could just as well cast the spell on someone else or sustain it with a focus. If it didn't the beneficiary of the spell would have no penalty at all even though there are" problems of fine control". So yes if the mage uses the fingers himself without a focus he is at -4.

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 14 2010, 05:30 AM) *
Also I believe there is a general rule that unless specified penalties do not effect damage resistance tests, though they do effect your reaction tests to avoid the injury.
Correct but the former is an exception not general rule. That modifers apply to defense tests is just the application of the general rule.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 14 2010, 07:58 AM) *
I think you misunderstand the rules there. The spell's description has to mention the extra penalty, because otherwise you could just as well cast the spell on someone else or sustain it with a focus. If it didn't the beneficiary of the spell would have no penalty at all even though there are" problems of fine control". So yes if the mage uses the fingers himself without a focus he is at -4.

That doesn't quite hang together. In the spirit of spell sustaining not inhibiting the spell itself, it makes perfect sense that the sustaining penalty doesn't apply to the use of magic fingers. If the magician casts it on himself he is at -2 for tests using the magic fingers (fine control issues) and at -2 for other actions (sustaining penalty). If he casts it on someone else then they get the -2 for fine control issues and he is still stuck with the -2 for all other (which is effectively all) actions.

So yeah, the text has purpose but the two penalties are mutually exclusive on any given action.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Jun 14 2010, 04:59 PM) *
That doesn't quite hang together. In the spirit of spell sustaining not inhibiting the spell itself, it makes perfect sense that the sustaining penalty doesn't apply to the use of magic fingers.
But this spirit is not supported by the rules. That is why the text about sustaining a threaded complex form is different.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 14 2010, 01:58 AM) *

Correct but the former is an exception not general rule. That modifers apply to defense tests is just the application of the general rule.

As far as I know magic fingers does not have a beneficiary other than the caster. And I think I understand the rules fine, I just disagree with you on what they mean when they say other tests. The improve agility example is a stretch I'll admit because it is a more indirect additional test. But magic fingers is a perfect example of what they mean by other test. Tests with the magic fingers spell are not penalized by a sustaining penalty because that is the actual use of the spell all other tests are penalized just not ones through magic fingers.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 14 2010, 11:50 PM) *
As far as I know magic fingers does not have a beneficiary other than the caster. And I think I understand the rules fine, I just disagree with you on what they mean when they say other tests. The improve agility example is a stretch I'll admit because it is a more indirect additional test. But magic fingers is a perfect example of what they mean by other test. Tests with the magic fingers spell are not penalized by a sustaining penalty because that is the actual use of the spell all other tests are penalized just not ones through magic fingers.
Hmm, I was sure that the spell could grant the magic fingers to anyone. Great they introduced the Personal Range, to use a term from The Other Game, for one spell. Why can I give magic eyes i.e. Clairvoyance to my chummers but not magic fingers. silly.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 14 2010, 06:22 PM) *
Hmm, I was sure that the spell could grant the magic fingers to anyone. Great they introduced the Personal Range, to use a term from The Other Game, for one spell. Why can I give magic eyes i.e. Clairvoyance to my chummers but not magic fingers. silly.gif

detection spells have a target who gains a sense. other spells do not.

magic fingers is not granting the ability to telekinetically manipulate. it simply *is* the ability to telekinetically manipulate. you can't hand it off any more than you can grant someone else control of a trid phantasm or a control mind spell.
Dakka Dakka
I checked and you are right. It would make more sense though if all capability manipulating spells were casterexclusive. You can turn any (voluntary) person into an animal (shapechange) and nothing prevents you from creating a spell that can turn even involuntary targets into toads, you can enable anyone to breathe under water (oxygenate).
Shinobi Killfist
I think the distinction would be in things like magic fingers someone is controlling its effect. In the case of say mind probe you are just given a sense so you can see into people minds up to X level of effect, or you just happen to be a bird now. Your control is limited to where you travel or what you'd do your normal actions on. Mind probe to me is one of the standouts because while you do have a sense, you are directing who's mind is being read, you are asking the questions etc. So I think that is where they were going with it, but for certain powers the logic is shaky as heck. But I think mind probe should be a personal power that you touch the target whose mind you are going to read.
Jaid
well, it's a bit weird, but unless magic fingers is considered an area spell, the target of the spell is what's being manipulated (which means that unless it's an area spell, you can only manipulate one thing with one spell). unless it's an area spell, you're not actually creating an invisible force which can move around and do stuff, you're creating a force that can move one object around and do stuff with that one object (or person, i suppose)
Shinobi Killfist
I always thought of it as kind of like the green lantern but not visible. You are creating telekinetic hands kind of.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 15 2010, 08:21 AM) *
I always thought of it as kind of like the green lantern but not visible. You are creating telekinetic hands kind of.
That is the description of the spell, yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012