Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Allergic to Wi-fi? Most Perturbatory...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Warmaster Lah
From OMG-Facts.

There's a man who is 'allergic' to Wi-Fi.

When he's around a wi-fi signal, it makes him feel "dizzy, sick and confused." It's a condition called "Electromagnetic Sensitivity". With the increase in the availability of public wi-fi, this guy has had to drastically go out of his way to avoid the signals. "I feel like an exile on my own planet. It's almost impossible to find somewhere without wi-fi nowadays.".

----

Now I couldnt find any links on the site to verify but I will look for it.

Someone could be aware of wi-fi.... my sci-fi story might not be so far fetched then....

Found it I think: Link
Yerameyahu
Nope. It's an increasingly common delusion/hoax that hasn't (yet? nyahnyah.gif ) held up to testing.

Given the prevalence of EM radiation of all kinds everywhere, it's very suspicious that these people just claim 'wi-fi' (and occasionally cell towers instead).
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah @ Jun 22 2010, 03:02 PM) *
From OMG-Facts.

When he's around a wi-fi signal, it makes him feel "dizzy, sick and confused." It's a condition called "Electromagnetic Sensitivity". With the increase in the availability of public wi-fi, this guy has had to drastically go out of his way to avoid the signals. "I feel like an exile on my own planet. It's almost impossible to find somewhere without wi-fi nowadays.".

----

Someone could be aware of wi-fi.... my sci-fi story might not be so far fetched then....

Sounds like he would benefit from a tinfoil hat silly.gif
Ol' Scratch
Either way, it's covered in Shadowrun. Unwired has a negative quality that deals with the same basic concept, though I don't recall the name off the top of my head. Runner's Companion has a positive metagenic trait that works on the concept, too, but to the character's benefit. Then you have Technomancers who feel exactly the opposite; a lack of a signal makes them all weird feeling.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 22 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Either way, it's covered in Shadowrun. Unwired has a negative quality that deals with the same basic concept, though I don't recall the name off the top of my head. Runner's Companion has a positive metagenic trait that works on the concept, too, but to the character's benefit. Then you have Technomancers who feel exactly the opposite; a lack of a signal makes them all weird feeling.

The quality is AIPS.

The character has Artificially Induced Psychotropic Schizophrenia
Syndrome, a psychological disorder most common to survivors of the Matrix Crash of 2064. For each level of this quality taken (max. 3), the character suffers a –1 dice pool penalty to Perception Tests while within Signal range of a Matrix device (including her own). Additionally, the gamemaster may require a successful Willpower Success Test with a threshold equal to the level of this quality when the character must focus her attention in a non-stressful situation.
Sheala
My mother claims she is allergic to mobile radiation. As a technophobe, she is not even aware about wifi signals everywhere. Also she seem to be upset when she actually SEES the cellphone, and displays no symptoms when cellphone is present without her awareness. Maybe my mom has AIPS, but I think she is just nuts biggrin.gif.
Okay i know how does psychosomatics work.I am a psycholopgy student anyway
Sengir
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah @ Jun 22 2010, 09:02 PM) *

If The Sun wrote that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, I wouldn't believe them until seeing it myself wink.gif

The whole scare about radiation for cellphones, power lines and whatnot has been around for decades, but never once has one of the alleged sufferers been able to reliably tell the presence of EM radiation in a double-blind study.
Cabral
My mother in law appears to be sensitive to EM radiation. It can be anything from her hand feeling warm if she holds her cellphone for too long to have difficulty sleeping with power meters on the other side of her bedroom wall.

It could be psychosomatic but I am going to side on "real impact of EM fields".
Hand-E-Food
There's only 912 days left until the dawn of the sixth age. The transition is starting! wink.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 22 2010, 06:26 PM) *
It can be anything from her hand feeling warm if she holds her cellphone for too long

Or you know. A buildup of actual heat.

My phone sometimes feels warm in my pocket (and then I pull it out to find the camera's on and its draining the battery, causing an excessive buildup of waste heat).
hermit

Oh look, he's allergic to light.
suoq

Ars Technica responds in advance (same guy, a year ago)
Hand-E-Food
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 23 2010, 08:32 AM) *
Oh look, he's allergic to light.

Actually, light allergy is a real condition: Xeroderma pigmentosum.
Mesh
LoL, so if this guy...

"If I go somewhere, I can instantly sense the wi-fi and have to leg it."

...can instantly sense it, what the frag is he doing with a wi-fi detector? So he can know when he has a headache?

Mesh
Railgun
I can hear electricity. Outlets and stuff that are in rooms give out this super high pitch ring in my ears. Kinda like that sound capacitors in old cameras and stuff make, except constant and never changing in pitch. Its annoying. But someone getting dizzy from wifi, glad I don't have that.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Railgun @ Jun 22 2010, 09:38 PM) *
I can hear electricity. Outlets and stuff that are in rooms give out this super high pitch ring in my ears. Kinda like that sound capacitors in old cameras and stuff make, except constant and never changing in pitch. Its annoying.

My ears aren't (weren't?) that sensative, but I could hear CRT monitors in sleep mode (PC off, monitor on) and could not stand a ticking clock (I went Captain Hook on them--well, ok, I wanted to).
hobgoblin
i can hear when a CRT is on, but there is no image or sound, thanks to its slight buzzing noise.

but wifi allergy, bah.
Yerameyahu
Yeah, you lose the higher frequencies as you age. smile.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 23 2010, 05:33 AM) *
Yeah, you lose the higher frequencies as you age. smile.gif

funny enough, i think i have managed to retain most of it, tho its still "early" days as i have only just started on the down hill part towards adult diapers.
Method
Xeroderma pigmentosum isn't an allergy- its an inability to repair damage to your DNA caused by UV radiation. An actual allergy to light would not be conducive to life. Nor would an allergy to radio waves (wifi), which by the way aren't a new invention- they are a cosmic phenomenon that probably started oh... around the time of the Big Bang! ohplease.gif {edit: which is an oxymoron I suppose, since time also started with the Big Bang, but whatever...}

Lucky for us our immune system (the basis for allergies) cannot detect and react specifically to various forms of electromagnetic radiation. In fact, the known effects of radiation on the immune system are *immunosuppressive* and that takes considerably higher energy than radio waves.

This whole thing is nonsense.
Yerameyahu
I always assumed that CRT capacitor whine was a common thing. I don't see many CRTs any more, but they always used to make that noise for me.
Method
If anyone is interested:

Rubin GJ, Nieto-Hernandez R, Wessely S. Idiopathic environmental intolerance attributed to electromagnetic fields (formerly 'electromagnetic hypersensitivity'): An updated systematic review of provocation studies. Bioelectromagnetics. 2010 Jan;31(1):1-11.

Here's the punch line:
To date, 46 studies involving 1175 volunteers with
IEI-EMF have tested whether exposure to electro-
magnetic fields can trigger the symptoms reported by
this group. These studies have produced little evidence
to suggest that this is the case or that individuals
with IEI-EMF are particularly adept at detecting the
presence of electromagnetic fields. On the other hand,
many of these studies have found evidence that the
nocebo effect is a sufficient explanation for the acute
symptoms reported in IEI-EMF. Thus while continued
experimental research in this area will be required to
clarify the role of chronic exposures and to test the
effects of new varieties of electromagnetic emissions,
the best evidence currently available suggests that IEI-
EMF should not be viewed as a bioelectromagnetic
phenomenon.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 23 2010, 12:08 AM) *
I always assumed that CRT capacitor whine was a common thing. I don't see many CRTs any more, but they always used to make that noise for me.

My parents could never hear it, despite how much I bitched about making sure to turn the monitor off.
Cthulhudreams
The guy referenced in the OP is a crank.

My parents could never hear it, despite how much I bitched about making sure to turn the monitor off.

This is because your parents have natural hearing loss through age.
Martin_DeVries_Institute
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 22 2010, 07:39 PM) *
Xeroderma pigmentosum isn't an allergy- its an inability to repair damage to your DNA caused by UV radiation. An actual allergy to light would not be conducive to life. Nor would an allergy to radio waves (wifi), which by the way aren't a new invention- they are a cosmic phenomenon that probably started oh... around the time of the Big Bang! ohplease.gif {edit: which is an oxymoron I suppose, since time also started with the Big Bang, but whatever...}

Lucky for us our immune system (the basis for allergies) cannot detect and react specifically to various forms of electromagnetic radiation. In fact, the known effects of radiation on the immune system are *immunosuppressive* and that takes considerably higher energy than radio waves.

Sir, this is the Internet. Your "facts," "logic," and "rational thinking" have no place here. Begone!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Jun 23 2010, 12:37 AM) *
This is because your parents have natural hearing loss through age.

Yes. Thanks. I know that now some twelve years (an additional 80%+ on my life) later.
TheeGravedigger
A couple years back, I was dating a girl down in Oregon. Her mother was convinced that she was allergic to electromagnetic radiation. She lived out on a farm, used low tech wherever possible, avoided traveling by car as much as possible. She pretty much only came into the city to visit her daughter once every few months and visit her doctors.

Given that I'm a bit of a technophile and I was a long way from home, I constantly had my laptop with me, various electronic toys running all the time, etc. Needless to say her mother wasn't fond of me.

After discussing politics and religion with her father, I decided I'd rather sleep in the car til she was ready to head back north.

That was the first I'd heard of anything like it, but in the end I just chalked it up to Oregon.
hermit
Outlets and stuff that are in rooms give out this super high pitch ring in my ears. Kinda like that sound capacitors in old cameras and stuff make, except constant and never changing in pitch. Its annoying.

I envy your good hearing. Usually, these frequencies are beyond human perception.
Dumori
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 22 2010, 11:12 PM) *
If The Sun wrote that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, I wouldn't believe them until seeing it myself wink.gif

QFT

Also I used to be able to hear most bats. Let alone CTRs and power supplys.
Sengir
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 23 2010, 04:39 AM) *
In fact, the known effects of radiation on the immune system are *immunosuppressive* and that takes considerably higher energy than radio waves.

There is no such thing as "neglectible doses" for those who are convinced that cellphones or aspartame will kill them...which might explain the significant comorbidity rate between belief in deadly cellphone radiation and homeopathic delusions.
hermit
Concerned Citizen: "Is it true that cellphone radiation will significantly heighten my chance to be [stomped to death by giant anthropomorphic robots]?"

Federal Office of Radiology: "While no study ever found evidence that cellphone radiation will significantly heighten the chance to be [stomped to death by giant anthropomorphic robots], we nonetheless conclude that the longterm effect on users of cellphones possibly being [stomped to death by giant anthropomorphic robots] cannot be ruled out entirely, and thus advise you to use your cellphones as little as possible and avoid cellphone radiation entirely, so as to not be [stomped to death by giant anthropomorphic robots]."
Method
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 23 2010, 06:17 AM) *
There is no such thing as "neglectible doses" for those who are convinced that cellphones or aspartame will kill them...which might explain the significant comorbidity rate between belief in deadly cellphone radiation and homeopathic delusions.
Don't even get me started on homeopathy... ohplease.gif
sabs
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah @ Jun 22 2010, 08:02 PM) *
From OMG-Facts.

----

Found it I think: Link

He's the first technomancer.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 23 2010, 09:59 AM) *
He's the first technomancer.

or anti-technomancer....since he doesn't seem to like Wi-Fi as opposed to not liking being away from it....
Draco18s
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 23 2010, 09:51 AM) *
Don't even get me started on homeopathy... ohplease.gif

Homeopathy is...weird sometimes.

I think I did the math once and in order to have 1 particle in a 400X solution you would need to have a solution that is the volume of the solar system.

Wait, wikipedia says that "as there are only about 10^80 atoms in the entire observable universe, a dilution of one molecule in the observable universe would be about 40C."

(40C = 80X)

So yeah. Oscillococcinum is in fact a sugar pill.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 23 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Homeopathy is...weird sometimes.

I think I did the math once and in order to have 1 particle in a 400X solution you would need to have a solution that is the volume of the solar system.

Wait, wikipedia says that "as there are only about 10^80 atoms in the entire observable universe, a dilution of one molecule in the observable universe would be about 40C."

(40C = 80X)

So yeah. Oscillococcinum is in fact a sugar pill.

Homeopathy is great! Everyone should drink more distilled water rotate.gif
hermit
Talked to a believer in this once. She told me the one molecule imprinted it's image into the substance and the imprint would somehow chemically be equivalent to the substance, only without the bad byeffects.

She could not explain to me - being a chemist, for crying out loud! - how an imprint in water would be sustained, though. Ah well. Now she is a professional shaman, having broken off her studies, so there you go.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 23 2010, 10:28 AM) *
Talked to a believer in this once. She told me the one molecule imprinted it's image into the substance and the imprint would somehow chemically be equivalent to the substance, only without the bad byeffects.

She could not explain to me - being a chemist, for crying out loud! - how an imprint in water would be sustained, though. Ah well. Now she is a professional shaman, having broken off her studies, so there you go.

Good person to know, though. She might be able to hook you up with some sweet telesma. Or have her run counterspelling for you.
Draco18s
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 23 2010, 11:28 AM) *

I take it you haven't heard of Masaru Emoto and his book Messages from Water?

Short video.

Every water sample was frozen the same way, every time. Water from clean sources makes beautiful crystals, polluted sources don't (even after being filtered). Distilled water exposed to harmonious music makes beautiful crystals. Disharmonious music (eg. heavy metal) doesn't.
hermit

Oh, right, because water is magic. As much as I personally find Zoroastrianism, Jainism and Hinduism interesting, I don't believe in purified elements.

Nothing ever freezes the same way. Every crystal is unique. And 'beautiful' is a description that is not worth anything in an even remotely scientific study. That's as nonsensical as saying there has to be creative design because I find daffodils are pretty flowers, so they have to be specifically developed by a creator who wanted the world full of flowers I find awesome. Because, see, it's really all about me. I'm the center of the universe.

Bullshit. As is this stuff.

Good person to know, though. She might be able to hook you up with some sweet telesma. Or have her run counterspelling for you.

Yeah. She also occaionally is on TV, since one of the large national networks seems to have her on tab as an expert on magic and shamanism. The things people get paid for.
Method
These guys say it better than I could:
James Randi
Richard Dawkins
martian_bob
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 23 2010, 03:56 PM) *

Short video.

Every water sample was frozen the same way, every time. Water from clean sources makes beautiful crystals, polluted sources don't (even after being filtered). Distilled water exposed to harmonious music makes beautiful crystals. Disharmonious music (eg. heavy metal) doesn't.

Emoto is a pseudoscientific crank. The problems with his research into water are manifold and, frankly, embarrassing - he's never attempted a double-blind trial, he didn't seal his Petri dishes, he didn't look for any other explanations for what he found, etc., etc. Furthermore, Emoto has admitted that the pictures taken of the water were chosen for their aesthetic qualities; for all we know, the heavy metal water had beautiful crystals too, he just didn't choose to release them. His work has never been peer reviewed. His degree isn't even from an accredited institution.

Apologies for the rant, this guy just tweaks me off.
Dumori
You get on TV once for a topic your likely to be on alot more.
Ol' Scratch
Eh. Considering that this topic is, at its heart, about Shadowrun, I find it ironic that people are flying off the handle about pseudoscience in a world that, in about two-three years, is going to blossom into one where most if not all of those crazy pseudoscience principles will suddenly start working. It's no more crazy than most other magical beliefs.
Mesh
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 23 2010, 12:33 PM) *
Eh. Considering that this topic is, at its heart, about Shadowrun, I find it ironic that people are flying off the handle about pseudoscience in a world that, in about two-three years, is going to blossom into one where most if not all of those crazy pseudoscience principles will suddenly start working. It's no more crazy than most other magical beliefs.

For once I agree with Dr. Funkenstein. Lol.

Mesh
Method
I often find my self agreeing with Doc Funk... touché.
Draco18s
QUOTE (martian_bob @ Jun 23 2010, 12:26 PM) *
Emoto is a pseudoscientific crank. The problems with his research into water are manifold and, frankly, embarrassing - he's never attempted a double-blind trial, he didn't seal his Petri dishes, he didn't look for any other explanations for what he found, etc., etc. Furthermore, Emoto has admitted that the pictures taken of the water were chosen for their aesthetic qualities; for all we know, the heavy metal water had beautiful crystals too, he just didn't choose to release them. His work has never been peer reviewed. His degree isn't even from an accredited institution.

Apologies for the rant, this guy just tweaks me off.

While true, I would like to see someone else do the same thing and see what they come up with.
Yerameyahu
I wouldn't say the topic is about Shadowrun.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 23 2010, 12:46 PM) *
While true, I would like to see someone else do the same thing and see what they come up with.

I'd rather they do something similar with the caveat that they rigorously follow the scientific method.
hermit

No, it isn't but that does not make it any less crazy.

I'd rather they do something similar with the caveat that they rigorously follow the scientific method.

This.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012