Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karmagen Metatype cost
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 25 2010, 08:39 AM) *
Doc Funk and I have our occasional differences of opinion. The limitation on special attributes was deliberate in order to cultivate less powerful, more diverse characters. Since there is always some way to min-max the system, the ideal is to design the system so that min-maxing doesn't break it...and, well, mixed results.

I just can't see how you can reconcile the fact that the prices for attributes nearly doubled while the cap stayed the same.
I guess you could view it as magikers and mancers being naturally lazy since they can fall back on their power to cruise by in most situations, but... come on. Some sort of concession needs to be made for the Att cost increase.
Glyph
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jun 25 2010, 11:09 PM) *
I disagree slightly on the elf vs. human and cost adjustments... as those enhanced attribute caps are very costly if you were human and bought them normally (how many points for enhanced attribute AND the freebie rank in the attribute..). The crux of the problem was the decision to buy stats using karma AFTER the racial mods necesitated higher allowances (there's absolutely no way around it if spent after racial mins). And penalties are only penalties if you intend to raise them to the cap in chargen (or later). For most chars... 3 CHA is perfectly fine... and unlike racial attribute boosts (which raise both cap and the min stat). Penalities only lower the cap... but give the exact same 'discounts' for low stats that humans are supposed to enjoy... effectively they're not really penalized for most people.

Personally, I think exceptional attribute is an over-costed quality. But that is what I meant when I said that elves had more room to grow. In karmagen, their biggest advantage isn't the higher caps, but the fact that they don't have the same explicit disadvantages of other metatypes (lower Attribute caps in other areas, requiring special gear, etc.), and they can spend 435 points compared to the 375 a human can (and they start out with two stats already boosted). So even though they come out 5 karma behind a human, purely cost-wise, they have advantages over a human whether they take advantage of their higher Attribute caps or not.

They still seem relatively balanced compared to a human, to me personally, because I usually do soft-max one or both of their advantaged stats. So my elves are generally better speed sammies or faces, but not as versatile as a human build.

Orks, though, have two stats that are in a good spot, where even for a street samurai you don't need to raise them that much, so (for me, at least) they are far more likely to be taken for a purely numerical boost over a human - you might not have higher Body or Strength than what a human can get, but you have a significant net gain in points, and between the significant Attribute boost and being able to spend 415 points on Attributes, your stats will be more robust than a human's.

Overall, though, the German errata seems to make them about as balanced as they were in Build Points. Because elves and orks are almost exactly the same, in BP. Elves are a good choice for higher caps, more effective points you can put into Attributes, and no disadvantages like the other metatypes have. If anything, karmagen makes them weaker. In build points, a Charisma of 7 costs them 40 points, the same as a human with Charisma of 5. Orks are a good choice because they get a significant numerical boost, and have less crippling disadvantages than trolls or dwarves. They are even better in karmagen, if only because it is easier to leave their Body and Strength at a minimal level.

Just pointing out that character creation was not that balanced in build points, either, and karmagen doesn't really exacerbate the problem that much. Actually, humans can come out better in karmagen. Take a human with the following stats:
B: 5, A: 5, R: 5, S: 3, C: 2, I: 3, L: 2, W: 3, basically a typical sammie build. That would be the full 200 points in build points. In karmagen, it is 305 points. So if you leave Edge at 2, you could either get Magic of 5 (for an adept), or boost the core stats by 70 karma. The former makes them weaker than build points (where you could have those stats, and have high Edge and Magic if you didn't mind spending the points). The latter makes mundane builds slightly more flexible.

They are still more screwed if they want to be awakened, especially if they would like to have decent stats and Magic and a high Edge. But that is the biggest weakness of karmagen - it is not as uniformly flexible, or scalable, as build points. Some options are prohibitively expensive, while others (such as free spirits) become too powerful.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jun 26 2010, 01:09 PM) *
I just can't see how you can reconcile the fact that the prices for attributes nearly doubled while the cap stayed the same.
I guess you could view it as magikers and mancers being naturally lazy since they can fall back on their power to cruise by in most situations, but... come on. Some sort of concession needs to be made for the Att cost increase.

The caps were originally designed with Att x 5 in mind, because I knew the fix was in, so to speak. The problem is that RC came out before SR4a, so it was changed to Att x 3.
Falconer
Small point,

Your cost benefit is only including stat-lines. It's ignoring the other perks like low-light/thermo, reach, armor... (which is also very important to a mage or adept who's not cybering up or getting eyes).

Night vision is a 5point (10karma) quality in it's own right out of runner's companion. So now you can toss even more out there. Cybereyes cost only slighlty less (plus essence).

Your example, also demonstrates only half of it. Yes the human comes out better than under BP, since all those low mental stats aren't costing/penalized as much as BP does. Though once again, we make it an ork... spend extra 10 karma saved on attributes on "Human looking". And once again the Log & cha hits mean absolutely nothing... as the char pays no extra cost to raise those stats over the human, he gets the full discount and gets a minor cap imposed that doesn't really affect him. Now in addition to the karma saved from not having to raise bod/str... the ork also gets insult to injury by being allowed to spend 40 karma more on attributes. In this case, you could have that stat line, a high edge, and start w/ a Mag6 w/ the savings for a phys-ad.

The problem from the BP system is that costs don't scale w/ rank, while under the character advancement system they do. So it encourages maxing out certain attributes while minimizing others so that karma costs to advance later aren't so bad. (this is made worse by how limited karma tends to be in play in the typical game). This has always been the central problem of the two. I've been explicitly only looking at meta-meta differences in cost under karma (and not comparing to BP) and trying to address that problem.

In fact, if you do the conversion costs... (each stat point costs less than under BP until you go over rank 4... and even then... if you accept rank 4 as the 'mean bp/karma ratio (close enough)'... rank 3 + rank 5 average out to it... so the lower ranks 'subsidize' the costs of the higher ranks. (and rank 2, subsidizes rank 6 back to the mean). The only time this breaks down is if you start going over 6... and then there are multiple 'dump' attributes to spread the cost savings subsidy across.

Effectively this means a troll even buying up his monster bod attribute, can 'subsidize' each point w/ a 1->2 raise for each mental stat, then a 2->3 raise. Or buy up mental attributes he'd normally never consider under BP after devoting the majority of his 200 to physical stats. And quite frankly... in terms of cost, there's very little difference between a troll raising twice (75karma) to get bod7, and a human raising 4 times to get bod5 (70 karma). Though the human can't just leave his str sitting at starting value of 5 like the troll can.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 25 2010, 09:40 AM) *
Humans receive a +1 to Edge as a racial trait. It's not an adjustment to their min/max ratings.

Edited... Looks like there were others that handled Doc's orneriness already...

Keep the Faith
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 26 2010, 03:45 AM) *
So you really are totally blind or did you just ignore my post on purpose...

No, I'm disagreeing with your take on things and what the text you refer to is actually saying. In the build point system there's zero difference between the cost of Edge 7 and Edge 6+1, or Edge 3 and Edge 2+1, etc. There's also no reason whatsoever to list it as "+1 Edge" except in the case where it actually is a +1 to Edge. There are numerous examples of where they use different terminology when talking about modifying the minimum/maximum ratings, most notably Metagenic Improvement.

Disagree with me as much as you like. I'll be doing the same in regards to this topic if for no other reason than Humans need a perk, especially in the Karma Generation system where its the only time it matters one iota how its handled.
Mäx
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 26 2010, 11:27 PM) *
No, I'm disagreeing with your take on things and what the text you refer to is actually saying.

What part of "start with 2 and have maximum of 7" you don't understand, becouse to me that pretty damm simple rules statement.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 26 2010, 02:13 PM) *
What part of "start with 2 and have maximum of 7" you don't understand, becouse to me that pretty damm simple rules statement.

Sometimes you've got to let a dude run his game the way he wants to.
If scratch wants to give Humans a 5 karma bonus through edge, so what? Humans could use the boost.
MJBurrage
Except that Ol' Sctrach's interpretation gives most humans more than 5 free karma. The table below is based on:
  • Orginal: All attributes start at 1 for free. Pay New×3 to raise them, Humans must raise Edge to 2, and may raise it to 7.
  • Errated: All pay karma to be their race (humans pay 0), and get their minimums for free. Cost to raise Attributes is New×5.
  • Ol'Scratch: Humans buy up Edge from 1 to as high as 6, and then get a free point added on. I.E. the most expensive point is free.
CODE
Edge Original Errated Ol'Scratch
1 N/A N/A N/A
2 6 0 0
3 15 15 10
4 27 35 25
5 42 60 45
6 60 90 70
7 81 125 100
Saint Sithney
Ah yeah. 5 less karma, per buy at every buy during creation.

That is pretty significant.
Ol' Scratch
And yet, oddly enough, not everyone in my game's are Human nor are they ridiculously (or even noticeably... or even remotely considered) overpowered. How odd!

Scorecard to Date: Reality 5,407 - Theorycrafting 0.
Cabral
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 27 2010, 04:45 AM) *
And yet, oddly enough, not everyone in my game's are Human nor are they ridiculously (or even noticeably... or even remotely considered) overpowered. How odd!

An incorrect interpretation that has not been abused yet is still an incorrect interpretation.

Just because my players do not know how to, or choose not to, abuse the system is not definitive evidence the system is balanced.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 27 2010, 11:30 AM) *
An incorrect interpretation that has not been abused yet is still an incorrect interpretation.

Just because my players do not know how to, or choose not to, abuse the system is not definitive evidence the system is balanced.

Quoted for Truth...

And Doc... I am pretty sure that your scorecard is far from what you believe it is...
Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 27 2010, 12:30 PM) *

And that means exactly what here?

You may as well start whining and crying about how "broken" the rest of the system is, too. Especially if all this imaginary "free Karma" coming from the plainly, simply, and obviously listed "+1 Edge" bonus Humans get. Does a free Strength 5, Body 5, +1 Reach, +1 Armor, and Thermographic Vision really equal "only" 40 Karma? How about Body 4, Strength 3, and Low-Light Vision for the cost of 20 Karma, especially when compared to Agility 2, Charisma 3 and Low-Light Vision for, OMFG, 30 Karma?! Oh noooooooo... clearly all the races are horribly broken and anyone who chooses any race is trying to abuse the system!

Unless you're an elf, then you're just trying to abuse yourself.

ohplease.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 27 2010, 12:15 PM) *
Unless you're an elf, then you're just trying to abuse yourself.
ohplease.gif

Sorry, I just cannot get on board with this one... It is interesting (at least to me anyways) that I have very few actual characters that ever make it as an Elf, I just don't seem to care very much for them apparently. I am not all that sure why though. wobble.gif

Keep the Faith
Mäx
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 27 2010, 12:45 PM) *

How does this have anythink at all to do with you not understanding that simple sentence i posted.
Where do you get the idea that I think that your illiterate reading makes humans overpowered.
Ol' Scratch
It's no more illiterate than your ignoring the "+1 Edge" rule, or assuming it means anything other than exactly what it says: +1 to Edge. Except, you know, my reading incorporates those bits of text, too. Which you'd know if you actually read anything I've written on the topic in this thread. (And to be fair, I realize English isn't your native language.)
Cabral
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 27 2010, 02:15 PM) *
And that means exactly what here?

It means that your sample is not sufficiently representative of the Shadowrun gaming population to definitively state that your misrepresentation of the rules is balanced. Likewise, my players are not expert optimizers and the fact that 2 of 3 players were human is not sufficient evidence to conclude that the RAW is balanced.
Ol' Scratch
Oh, well, you should find some other place to chat then. Since, you know, this whole forum revolves around personal opinion, experience, and discussions about what is and isn't "balanced." Unless, you know, you want to spend every thread doing a poll of a few million people or whatever. To each their own, I guess.
Cabral
Careful of the advice you throw around. Don't throw your group's experience as the defining point in discussion of RAW and balk when you're called out on it.

There is no precedence for a racial bonus to an attribute behaving as you suggest and if there was no need to make the distinction before karmagen, it is still not grounds for discarding precedence.

But speaking of precedence (and logical consistency), when a human character in your game starts by buying and edge up to 2 then gets the +1 to 3 decides to improve it by one, does he pay (SR4A costs) 15 karma or 20 karma?
Saint Sithney
I think the real problem with karmagen is that you have to trust your players.

Anyone who trusts their players is obviously incorrect.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 27 2010, 08:28 PM) *
There is no precedence for a racial bonus to an attribute behaving as you suggest and if there was no need to make the distinction before karmagen, it is still not grounds for discarding precedence.

SR4A, p81. "+1 Edge."

It does not get more plain than that. I, personally, find it humorously ironic that the people like yourself who are going on trying to act high and mighty are flatly ignoring that simple, straightforward rule while attempting to chastise me for being an illiterate buffoon. It's apparently okay for you guys to do that, though, because you don't like me. <thumbs up>

But speaking of precedence (and logical consistency), when a human character in your game starts by buying and edge up to 2 then gets the +1 to 3 decides to improve it by one, does he pay (SR4A costs) 15 karma or 20 karma?

It's a +1 bonus during character creation. Just like in the days of old.
Cabral
I've already addressed why edge would be listed differently on that table. Now, i'll grant you that I don't recall who I disliked or who disliked me the last time I was active here, but I am opposing your assertions because I believe them to be wrong not a personal grudge. Looking back at the posts, there was perhaps an necessary amount of snark, for which I apologize, but their points still stand.
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 27 2010, 11:28 PM) *
It's a +1 bonus during character creation. Just like in the days of old.

So, a system based on handling character creation consistently with character advancement treats human edge differently in the 2 cases? I'm sorry, but not only does that follow precedence, it goes against a defining principle of the karmagen system to say it behaves the way you describe it.

Feel free to play it as you wish, of course, but don't present your houserules as RAW. I would also suggest you inform your players so that they are not surprised in other games. (At least in an "other people interpret this differently ..." capacity.)
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 27 2010, 11:18 PM) *
So, a system based on handling character creation consistently with character advancement treats human edge differently in the 2 cases? I'm sorry, but not only does that follow precedence, it goes against a defining principle of the karmagen system to say it behaves the way you describe it.

No more than a +1 to Reach or +1 to Armor does.

You're the ones who are insisting that you read "+1 to Edge" differently than, you know, a +1 to Edge.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 28 2010, 12:30 AM) *
No more than a +1 to Reach or +1 to Armor does.

You're the ones who are insisting that you read "+1 to Edge" differently than, you know, a +1 to Edge.

The bonuses (other than +1 Edge) apply to things not upgraded with Karma, so it does not matter when you apply the bonus.

In the main rulebook, it also does not matter when you apply the bonus because the costs under BP are linear. So a human character who spends 10 BP on Edge gets a starting Edge of 3 no mater how you do the math. Once that character earns Karma, it would cost them 4×5 Karma to raise their Edge to 4. So like all other attributes, the bonus comes before raising it later with Karma. So it follows that under Karma Gen, Humans start with an Edge of 2, and raise it normally from there.

In all the Shadowrun games and players I have been involved with, your reading is the only time I have seen it interpreted differently.

PS: I learned a long time ago, that no matter how sure I was about something, if everyone else tells me I'm wrong than I probably am. That would be good advice here.
Aarakin
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 28 2010, 02:28 PM) *
SR4A, p81. "+1 Edge."

Guess it comes down to when you add that +1...

I see the +1 being added as soon as you have chosen metatype, which usually occurs before you start purchasing attributes

PS: just looked it up - Choosing metatype is step 1 in karmagen and purchasing attributes comes in at step 3...
Ol' Scratch
Actually, by a literal reading of all the relevant rules in the core book, the only way to accout for all of them is to actually account for all of them. That means Humans receive the equivalence of a metagenic improvement to Edge, raising both the minimum and maximum rating to 2/7 (even though the core rules never mention that it starts at 2) in the text, and adding in the +1 from the chart. Which means a Human can start with an Edge of 9 by taking Lucky. Max it out at 7, get Lucky and pay to raise it to 8, then apply the +1 Edge.

And that's the only way to account for everything. Which is completely stupid to assume. Your takes ignore the +1 to Edge, despite the high and mighty chest thumping of how illiterate I am. The sheer hypocrisy of that chest thumping notwithstanding.

My take, however, ignores the erroneous and unfounded textual descriptions that aren't backed-up anywhere on any table -- on a table that's found in three different books no less, including an upgraded version of the core rules. Yours does the opposite, for no real reason or benefit except in the case of the optional Karma Generation system. But at least I'm acknowledging it.

But anyway, let's see who's take is more balanced. And by balanced, I mean equal to other options as opposed to underpowered which, you know, isn't balanced at all. The following makes a few assumptions and alterations to the referenced rules, most of which are addressed after the list. I'm also using the Karma Generation costs since, again, that's the only time the difference means much of anything at all. (Edge 7 vs. Edge 6+1 both cost exactly the same amount of Build Points.)

[ Spoiler ]

Note that in the above comparison, I assumed Metagenic Improvement could stack and included a raise in the minimum ratings, too. With Lucky, while the same in reality, I instead assumed it didn't include a raise in the minumum and just allows you to get Edge 7 just to drive home a distinction between the two. I also reversed Metagenic Improvement directly for Metagenic Crippling even though its true value should be less since a) the minimums don't change and b) few people max out those attributes anyway. I also used the cost for Night Vision for both Low-Light and Thermographic Vision.

Oh, and the various takes on Humans: My Take is a flat +1 to Edge on the 1-6 scale. I only included Lucky because Edge doesn't have an augmented rating, and I was being generous on the overall values to avoid bitching. Your Take is that there is no actual bonus, just a change in the minimum/maximum ratings of Edge. The Literal Reading Take is the one I mentioned above that basically combined the two; a change in the minimum/maximum rating plus the listed +1 to Edge.

These values also completely ignore the actual, in-practice balance of the classes. You know, where that +1 to Edge doesn't really mean a whole lot unless you're maxing it out in the land of Theorycrafting. And even then, that's an effect of the Edge attribute itself, not a simple +1 bonus to it (and all those "problems" still continue to exist even if their Edge is only one point lower). Or, you know, like where Trolls are actually a horrible choice overall despite their overall "bargain."

That said, notice that with the exception of Edge 7, at no point does My Take become a noticeably better bargain than what the other races provide, but is still a competitive choice... and then, only if you take Edge at 5 or 6 before applying the +1 bonus. Whereas with Your Take, they're grossly underpowered be it at Edge 2 or Edge 7. The Literal Reading Take is just flat out stupid after Edge 3 to 4, and it shows. And Hell, even then Trolls are still a significantly "better" bargain.

So, yeah. Even with actual theorycrafting (as opposed to "oh, this is different than my take on the world so it must be broken!"), the whining and bitching about a +1 to Edge doesn't really hold up.
Samoth
Man, you will go to great lengths to avoid admitting that you are blatantly wrong by RAW.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch)
My take, however, ignores the erroneous and unfounded textual descriptions that aren't backed-up anywhere on any table -- on a table that's found in three different books no less, including an upgraded version of the core rules. Yours does the opposite, for no real reason or benefit except in the case of the optional Karma Generation system. But at least I'm acknowledging it.

See also the very first paragraph in my previous post. Which I understand not reading because of the length of the entire post (I hate reading large ones myself).

Anyway, you're the people pigheadedly ignoring the +1 to Edge, acting like it doesn't even exist and pretending that it means something other than what it clearly means when you do acknowledge its existence. It's right there in black and white in three different sourcebooks. "+1 Edge." Again, it does not get any more straightforward than that.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Samoth @ Jun 28 2010, 10:12 AM) *
Man, you will go to great lengths to avoid admitting that you are blatantly wrong by RAW.

Yeah, Well he is still just the usual Doc Funkenstein, just using a different Handle... At least he is consistent...

Keep the Faith
Cabral
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 28 2010, 11:16 AM) *
Anyway, you're the people pigheadedly ignoring the +1 to Edge, acting like it doesn't even exist and pretending that it means something other than what it clearly means when you do acknowledge its existence. It's right there in black and white in three different sourcebooks. "+1 Edge." Again, it does not get any more straightforward than that.

Actually, it's in green and light green. SR4A Page 82: Example of character creation on the bottom right, Michelle is building a human Shadowrunnner and "thinks Edge will be important, so she spends 10 BP to increase it from 2 to 3." The Human's edge is increased before attributes are purchased.

Not only is your interpretation without precedence, but the example supports our interpretation.
Mäx
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 28 2010, 05:57 PM) *
(even though the core rules never mention that it starts at 2)

So your still happily ingnoring the quotes i provided from both versions of the corebook.
Clad to see your new handle hasn't changed you one bit.
Jhaiisiin
Gotta say, Doc, I agree with a lot of the others here. The +1 Edge is added before you start buying up attributes or qualities. So regardless, you start at 2, and you max at 7, 8 with lucky.
rstehwien
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Jun 29 2010, 09:42 AM) *
...link to homepage in Jhaiisiin sig

I like your build your own metatype doc on your webpage. Whole heartily agree with how you have laid out the costs and would use them as a beginning for karmagen should I use it. I plan to fix up the table a bit (several shifter foxes listed and none have regen) and use it in the game I'm about to start.

Good to see another Albuquerque gamer here as well.
Jhaiisiin
I'm not the only one who developed a table like that. For the life of me, I can't remember the other poster's name though. Darn me.

Edit, once you get to 10 posts and your PMs are enabled, send me one. Would like to see if we know each other in this fishbowl of a town.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Jun 29 2010, 10:42 AM) *
Gotta say, Doc, I agree with a lot of the others here. The +1 Edge is added before you start buying up attributes or qualities. So regardless, you start at 2, and you max at 7, 8 with lucky.

That's one interpretation.

Unfortunately, it doesn't mesh with all of the listed rules. You guys are still making stuff up about what "+1 Edge" means yourselves. The singular core rule that states the metahuman maximum for Humans is Edge 7 has no stated link to their racial ability, nor does the racial ability have any description detailing it at all. The sample text (stating that Humans have a minimum Edge of 2) likewise makes no reference to any actual rule anywhere in the core rules; it's a total assumption. Going strictly by all the core rules, including that example, Humans have an Edge range of 2/7 and a +1 bonus completely separate from that, for an actual range of 3/8. Add Lucky into the mix (which doesn't affect the minimum, just like Exceptional Attribute), and it goes from 3/9.

And, again, there's no reason in the world their bonus should be listed as "+1 Edge" when "Edge 2/7" would have done the job without any question and for exactly the same wordcount.

If you don't like it, so be it. I think it's a stupid interpretation, too. But if you guys are going to sit here and call me illiterate and chastise my choice of reading in regards to what's more fair and balanced, you have to accept you're in exactly the same boat.

As a side note, no one's even come close to explaining why a +1 to Edge is anywhere close to actually being unbalanced or unfair. Well, except for one guy who just decreed it so.
Wandering One
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 29 2010, 05:22 PM) *
And, again, there's no reason in the world their bonus should be listed as "+1 Edge" when "Edge 2/7" would have done the job without any question and for exactly the same wordcount.

If you don't like it, so be it. I think it's a stupid interpretation, too. But if you guys are going to sit here and call me illiterate and chastise my choice of reading in regards to what's more fair and balanced, you have to accept you're in exactly the same boat.

As a side note, no one's even come close to explaining why a +1 to Edge is anywhere close to actually being unbalanced or unfair. Well, except for one guy who just decreed it so.

I think because the writers assumed (that was apparently stupid), that a syntactical war wouldn't occur, in the stats section, when +2 cha listed for elves ends up at 3/8, that +1 edge for humans would end up at 2/8. I'm quite sure they didn't expect to run into the linguistical paragon of the Funk to manage to find a way to twist it into some awkward rules pretzel, especially since every rule is apparently to be taken into account separately from any other time it's mentioned. Since, to anyone other than you, +1 edge and 2/7 human edge attribute seems to make perfect damned sense.

And no, it's not unbalancing.
Ol' Scratch
Oh I see.

What you're actually trying to say is that you can read "+1 Edge" how you want, even though it makes no sense, is not presented in any way, shape, or form in the way you declare it to be, and is used in no other fashion in the game whatsoever. But because of that, "+1 Edge" obviously means "Edge 2/7" despite, you know, them not just coming out and listing it that way on the damn chart.

I mean, hell, if "+1 Edge" means "Edge 2/7," why not just list all the races that way? I mean, it's so obvious isn't it?

<thumbs up>
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 29 2010, 07:03 PM) *
I mean, hell, if "+1 Edge" means "Edge 2/7," why not just list all the races that way? I mean, it's so obvious isn't it?

<thumbs up>

Ummmmm... They did... See the stat Blocks... I think that you are fighting a losing battle here Doc. If everyone on dumpshock looks at something one way, and you are the only one to see it differently, You might take another look at your argument, because it is probably wrong... +1 Edge is identical to Edge 2/7 for Humans... and the examples bear this out. Sorry, you are wrong here.

Keep the Faith
Udoshi
You guys are still arguing about this?

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 29 2010, 06:03 PM) *
What you're actually trying to say is that you can read "+1 Edge" how you want, even though it makes no sense, is not presented in any way, shape, or form in the way you declare it to be, and is used in no other fashion in the game whatsoever. But because of that, "+1 Edge" obviously means "Edge 2/7" despite, you know, them not just coming out and listing it that way on the damn chart.

Yes. Yes it is. You have just, finally, pointed out exactly how the rules work! Good job! The irony is delicious.
And no. He's not reading it any-which-whatever-the-fuck way. He's reading the book. Which you should too.
Stop: Quotehammer time.

QUOTE (SR4a pg82)
Edge
Improving a character’s Edge costs 10 BP per +1 increase (25 BP for
raising it to its natural maximum). The metatype maximum for Edge
is 6 (7 for humans).
QUOTE (SR4a pg. 79))
Lucky
This quality allows a character to possess an Edge attribute one point higher than his metatype maximum. (For example, a human character could raise his Edge to 8.)
QUOTE (SR4a pg. 79)
Example:
Since brian and michelle are using the BP system, the first step is to select a metatype. Michelle decides she wants to stick with the norm and play a human, for a cost of 0bp. All her character's physical and mental attributes start at 1, with a natural maximum of 6+submersion grade. Furthermore, her character gains an extra point of Edge, so her street witch automatically starts with an edge of 2.
QUOTE (SR4a pg. 82)
Example:
Michelle looks at her special attributes. 5th Sentence: She thinks Edge will be important, so she spends 10BP to increase it from 2 to 3.
QUOTE (SR4a pg. 87)
Build Point Character Creation Summary
1: Metatype
2: Qualities
3: BP to attributes
QUOTE (RC pg. 43)
Karma System Character Creation:
Step 1: Choose Your Metatype or Other Character Race Option
Step 2: Select Qualities
Step 3: Purchase Attributes

Here's all the relevant rules for you in one easy to read block. As you can see quite clearly, Metatype comes first, in BOTH character creation methods. This adjusts stats as appropriate for the metatype, which you then can raise from its base value.
Tough cookie to swallow, I know. Have fun trying to Trollman your way out of this one.
Ol' Scratch
Uhm, no. I can refute that really easy. You do not have to follow any particular steps when creating your character; those are just recommendations. Proof? SR4A p. 81, Choose Your Metatype: "A character’s metatype sets his or her attribute limits, so it’s strongly recommended that you perform this step first." Emphasis mine.

I'd also appreciate it if you not compare me to anyone else. Thank you.

Once again: You are the ones ignoring what the rules are saying. I'm at least acknowledging them for what they are. "+1 Edge" != "Minimum and Maximum Changes," be it in the English language or Rulespeak. If it did, they'd do that for the various metavariants in the Runner's Companion. But guess what, they don't. They list them as Metagenic Improvements. And you know what else? The "+1 Edge" rule for Humans is in the same book.

Oh, and Pixies get a similar adjustment to their maximum Edge score. But they don't have "+1 Edge." Same book, again.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 29 2010, 09:07 PM) *
Uhm, no. I can refute that really easy. You do not have to follow any particular steps when creating your character; those are just recommendations. Proof? SR4A p. 81, Choose Your Metatype: "A character’s metatype sets his or her attribute limits, so it’s strongly recommended that you perform this step first." Emphasis mine.

Once again: You are the ones ignoring what the rules are saying. I'm at least acknowledging them for what they are. "+1 Edge" != "Minimum and Maximum Changes," be it in the English language or Rulespeak. If it did, they'd do that for the various metavariants in the Runner's Companion. But guess what, they don't. They list them as Metagenic Improvements. And you know what else? The "+1 Edge" rule for Humans is in the same book.

Oh, and Pixies get a similar adjustment to their maximum Edge score. But they don't have "+1 Edge." Same book, again.

So, what you are saying is you can buy strength 5 for 40BP, then go back and buy Ork for 20, retroactively adding 4 to your strength so you now have a strength of 9, and avoid paying the extra cost for maxing a stat?

Bullshit.

Jhaiisiin
Okay, better question, Doc. You said yourself you don't agree with the interpretation. So why are you arguing the point? If several spots say Edge Maximum is 7 for human (8 with lucky) then why are you arguing otherwise, especially when you yourself don't agree with it?

It seems this is a really senseless argument. Regardless of semantics, it states maximum edge of 7 for humans, or 8 with Lucky. Exceptional attribute and other methods can't increase it beyond this. It's in the wording right there.

I DON'T think you're being illiterate. I think you're playing Devil's Advocate just to keep the pot stirred.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 29 2010, 10:58 PM) *
So, what you are saying is you can buy strength 5 for 40BP, then go back and buy Ork for 20, retroactively adding 4 to your strength so you now have a strength of 9, and avoid paying the extra cost for maxing a stat?

Bullshit.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying you don't have to go in any particular order. If you go back and decide to be an Ork, you have to adjust what you've already done as appropriate.

"+1 Edge" is "+1 Edge." Stomp, cry, and whine all you like. That doesn't transform it into "Edge 2/7," "Metagenic Improvement (Edge)," or anything other than "+1 Edge." I'm not ignoring that Humans can have an Edge of 7. YOU are the one ignoring the +1 Edge benefit, claiming it to be something other than what it says it is. Some are saying it's just a +1 at character creation, which wouldn't change their maximum value. Others are saying it's a variation of Metagenic Improvement even though that's never mentioned once. Others are saying... I don't even know what they're saying, but they're saying something.

Again, Pixies have the exact same blurb in the text about having an Edge maximum of 7 without a "+1 Edge" listed as one of their abilities. This is in the same exact book where you can not only find "+1 Edge" for Humans, but "Metagenic Improvement" for various metavariant races.

Refute that if you're going to bother refuting anything.
Udoshi
Edit: one moment.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 29 2010, 10:09 PM) *
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying you don't have to go in any particular order. If you go back and decide to be an Ork, you have to adjust what you've already done as appropriate.

"+1 Edge" is "+1 Edge." Stomp, cry, and whine all you like. That doesn't transform it into "Edge 2/7," "Metagenic Improvement (Edge)," or anything other than "+1 Edge." I'm not ignoring that Humans can have an Edge of 7. YOU are the one ignoring the +1 Edge benefit, claiming it to be something other than what it says it is. Some are saying it's just a +1 at character creation, which wouldn't change their maximum value. Others are saying it's a variation of Metagenic Improvement even though that's never mentioned once. Others are saying... I don't even know what they're saying, but they're saying something.

Again, Pixies have the exact same blurb in the text about having an Edge maximum of 7 without a "+1 Edge" listed as one of their abilities. This is in the same exact book where you can not only find "+1 Edge" for Humans, but "Metagenic Improvement" for various metavariant races.

Refute that if you're going to bother refuting anything.

So, you're pointing at Metagentic improvements, claiming read-as-intended when you're not one of the developers, and pointing to a rule that explicitly says it doesn't work for Special attributes. 'IF the devs did this' isn't a very sturdy ground to argue on. Even worse, you're claiming the human edge rule and the pixie edge rule are in the same book. They are not. Anniversary edition and Runners companion are different books.

No, what you are doing is clinging to one line of rules text, sticking your fingers in your ears, going 'la la la', and refusing to look at every other passage of text that deals with the same issue. Thats like looking at the Slaving rules, seeing the line that says 'it can't be hacked' and completely forgetting about the 'unless it has a direct physical connection line' You need to take -every- rule into account. Not just the ones you cherrypick. You are pointing at the layout and presentation of the book, claiming it as explicit proof of the devs intent - and refusing to look beyond that page, where the rest of it is detailed.

Next, your example on page 81 doesn't hold up in all chargen options.
QUOTE (RC42 )
Step one: Choose your metatype or other character race option.
First, you must choose metatype or other alternative character concept.

Emphasis mine. Sorry, suddenly your rules lawyer attemps to bend the system don't apply in all character creation methods - while mine does. Your arguement is flawed. Care to try again?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Jun 29 2010, 11:03 PM) *
Okay, better question, Doc. You said yourself you don't agree with the interpretation. So why are you arguing the point? If several spots say Edge Maximum is 7 for human (8 with lucky) then why are you arguing otherwise, especially when you yourself don't agree with it?

It seems this is a really senseless argument. Regardless of semantics, it states maximum edge of 7 for humans, or 8 with Lucky. Exceptional attribute and other methods can't increase it beyond this. It's in the wording right there.

I DON'T think you're being illiterate. I think you're playing Devil's Advocate just to keep the pot stirred.

Here's what I'm saying.
  1. Humans get a +1 to Edge as their singular racial ability.
  2. Edge, like most of the special attributes, doesn't have an augmented maximum.
  3. Instead of introducing an augmented maximum solely for humans, they just say they can go to 7.
  4. The +1 to Edge is applied just like any other racial ability is. You don't have to pay for it; it's always a +1 to Edge.
  5. In the Build Point system, it doesn't matter when you apply the +1 to Edge; the cost is the same no matter who's interpretation you're using.
  6. In the Karma Generation system, the "benefit" isn't this tragically broken bonus people are maxing it out to be. It's a minor benefit for a race that doesn't really get jack squat. So who cares if they get a minor discount relative to the others? It's still just a +1 to Edge.
I'm also saying that if you're going to try and twist "+1 Edge" into meaning something it is never stated as meaning, which is in no way intuitive or easily assumed, and is only being interpreted that way because that's just how you've always done it rather than question it, then you shouldn't bitch when someone else actually sees it for what it actually is -- a simple +1 to Edge.

And if you are going to bitch and complain about that -- with absolutely no possible concern about that interpretation being unbalanced or broken in any way -- then you have to take a step back and look at what's actually being written in those rules. The +1 to Edge and the metagenic maximum are not related as they're depicted in the core rulebook. They are complete separate. You can raise your Edge to 7, and you still have that +1 to Edge to deal with. You don't get to plug your ears and hum in order to ignore that +1 to Edge or try to bullshit your way into meaning it says anything other than exactly what it says.

But hey. Apparently it's okay to do just that. It's a good thing I find hypocrisy like that infinitely amusing.
Udoshi
I'm not ignoring that Humans can have an Edge of 7. YOU are the one ignoring the +1 Edge benefit, claiming it to be something other than what it says it is.

Elaborate. Exactly what do you think it does?

Some are saying it's just a +1 at character creation, which wouldn't change their maximum value.

Except it explicitly says it does. See my quotehammer, above. Sorry, try again.

Others are saying it's a variation of Metagenic Improvement even though that's never mentioned once. Others are saying... I don't even know what they're saying, but they're saying something.

No, YOU are saying its metagenetic improvement. If you don't know what you're arguing, you may want to take a break and try again later.

Source. Quote, Book and page numbers. If you're going to argue something, back it up. And, uh, +1 edge for humans is in the Anniversary book. Anniversary is not the RC.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 29 2010, 11:14 PM) *
<snip>

Next, your example on page 81 doesn't hold up in all chargen options.

Emphasis mine. Sorry, suddenly your rules lawyer attemps to bend the system don't apply in all character creation methods - while mine does. Your arguement is flawed. Care to try again?

And yet another example of where you guys get to ignore one rule just to make yourselves feel better. Nevermind that rule is from a completely different creation system, written by a guy who often gets crap wrong anyway. Again: Just take a gander at the FAQs or the bizzare logic used to rationalize why he fucks over mages and technomancers on that same page for proof positive that he doesn't quite grasp the meaning behind several rules. Fluff, yes. Rules, no.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 29 2010, 11:19 PM) *
Source. Quote, Book and page numbers. If you're going to argue something, back it up. And, uh, +1 edge for humans is in the Anniversary book. Anniversary is not the RC.

Runner's Companion p. 70, Metatype Attribute Table: "Human Metatype Abilities: +1 Edge"
Runner's Companion p. 84, Sapient Critter Attribute Table: "Pixie Critter Abilities: Enhanced Sense (Astral Perception)"
Runner's Companion p. 84, Not Metahuman: "All sapient critters begin the game with an Essence of 6, and their maximum Edge is 5, except for pixies who have a maximum Edge of 7."

How's that foot tasting? Try as hard as I might, I can't find "+1 Edge" in that entry for the Pixie abilities... but I can find a very similar bit of text for a Human's maximum Edge plus a +1 to Edge. Curious how that works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012