Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit retool
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Walpurgisborn
So the GM and I have a pretty open relationship regarding games mechanics, and I'm willing to nerf my mage character a bit in some ways if I think it provides better balance. One of the things we've noticed is spirits are powerful. Like immensely so. But, we also are of the opinion that the stick and shock/taser as a spirit killer is pretty dumb. So here's the fix we're thinking

Spirits have a single damage track. Only P damage affects spirits, all stun damage is shrugged off.

One other caveat, because of the rules wonkiness, we've kept possession spirits out of the game, so any weirdness that might result from that is out.

So what are your thoughts. Feedback appreciated.
TommyTwoToes
We don't use stun damage for spirits either, it cuts down on a pile of the iffy stuff. But then again we got rid of SnS rounds too.
Lanlaorn
I can't remember where I read it but I think spirits do have only one track and there's no difference between stun and physical damage for them.
Walpurgisborn
Also, per GM, all drain damage will be stun phys damage for spirits.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 12:47 PM) *
I can't remember where I read it but I think spirits do have only one track and there's no difference between stun and physical damage for them.

Correct, however we are talking about attacks that deal stun-only do not affect spirits at all. This rules out punching (unagmented anyway), tasers, neuro stun gas, and a whole bunch of other things that themantically do not make sense affecting spirits.
Lanlaorn
Ah, sure. Although I think spirits are already immune to toxins like nerve gas and it's pretty unlikely your fists would do enough damage to bypass the ITNW without being augmented to do physical.

Regarding electrical and fire damage, IMO they have to overcome ITNW still but beyond that who cares. If it's a Force 2 spirit and your 6S(e) SnS rounds are doing damage to it, that makes sense.
Mäx
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Regarding electrical and fire damage, IMO they have to overcome ITNW still but beyond that who cares. If it's a Force 2 spirit and your 6S(e) SnS rounds are doing damage to it, that makes sense.

Actually SnS is good all the way ip to force 6 and that one taser is good up to force 8.
Lanlaorn
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 29 2010, 01:27 PM) *
Actually SnS is good all the way ip to force 6 and that one taser is good up to force 8.

The premise being what, that -half armor applies to ITNW's 'armor' of Force x2?

Because that's definitely not RAW either, the taser, etc. rules always pretty clearly say half impact armor and I think ITNW is off in a class by itself, it's not ballistic or impact armor you can pierce but a magical threshold before you can even affect the spirit.

RAW I don't think AP rounds or electrical rounds benefit at all from their negative armor aspects.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 12:33 PM) *

Because that's definitely not RAW either, the taser, etc. rules always pretty clearly say half impact armor and I think ITNW is off in a class by itself, it's not ballistic or impact armor you can pierce but a magical threshold before you can even affect the spirit.

RAW I don't think AP rounds or electrical rounds benefit at all from their negative armor aspects.

Spirits would be basically unstoppable if you follow that ruling. SnS while lame as hell is a good thing vs spirits IMO because it gives mundanes a chance of dealing with them. I think the issue is in previous editions force 4-5 spirits were sort of the top of what you'd normally see. In 4e there is no reason outside of a table rule for you not to summon up force 8ish spirits fairly often.
Mäx
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 08:33 PM) *

Because that's definitely not RAW either, the taser, etc. rules always pretty clearly say half impact armor

Of cource it's half impact armor, hallf ballistic armor would be kinda useless as elemental damage is resisted with impact armor.
Walpurgisborn
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 29 2010, 01:43 PM) *
Spirits would be basically unstoppable if you follow that ruling. SnS while lame as hell is a good thing vs spirits IMO because it gives mundanes a chance of dealing with them. I think the issue is in previous editions force 4-5 spirits were sort of the top of what you'd normally see. In 4e there is no reason outside of a table rule for you not to summon up force 8ish spirits fairly often.

Except of course that it might kill you to do so.

OTOH, there are a few house rules that we run with in our game, specifically to prevent force 8 munchkinism. Improve attribute spell won't impact drain, is the biggest one.

On that note, my mage just recently tried summoning and binding a force 6. At magic 5, and a drain attribute at 5, he ended up pretty screwed when the spirit rolled 8 successes on it's bind test. Even after spending a point on edge, poor Jack was only able to hit enough successes to prevent himself from dying. Thankfully, he has spirit affinity, so the spirit of man decided that the poor bastard had already done enough to himself. I know that the math (which we checked afterwards) put this in the, nearly never going to happen category, but it was a real kick to the crotch realizing I might have to roll a new character before the mission started.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Walpurgisborn @ Jun 29 2010, 12:51 PM) *
Except of course that it might kill you to do so.

OTOH, there are a few house rules that we run with in our game, specifically to prevent force 8 munchkinism. Improve attribute spell won't impact drain, is the biggest one.

On that note, my mage just recently tried summoning and binding a force 6. At magic 5, and a drain attribute at 5, he ended up pretty screwed when the spirit rolled 8 successes on it's bind test. Even after spending a point on edge, poor Jack was only able to hit enough successes to prevent himself from dying. Thankfully, he has spirit affinity, so the spirit of man decided that the poor bastard had already done enough to himself. I know that the math (which we checked afterwards) put this in the, nearly never going to happen category, but it was a real kick to the crotch realizing I might have to roll a new character before the mission started.

Yes it can happen. And with binding the x2 force part makes it a bit tougher for the high force spirits, I usually stop at force 4. My basic limit is 8 dice in the resistance check, so force 8 for summoning force 4 for binding. While yes it is possible to get hit with 8 hits for 16 drain it is massively unlikely. I have been hit with 6 hits for 12, but since I rolled 12 dice to resist drain I was still conscious. One first aid check later and I was a whopping 2 boxes hurt. Yeah that sucks but I'd rather have a force 8 spirit and be at 2 boxes of damage than have a force 5 spirit and be in perfect health. And really that is about as bad as it will even get for me, the vast majority of the time when summoning a force 8 spirit I am in perfect health afterwards.

To me drain is not much of a limit for summoning spirits. You can call it munchkinism if you want but to me it is just a logical reaction to how a person would react given that the rules are kind of like the physics of the setting.
Walpurgisborn
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 29 2010, 01:04 PM) *
To me drain is not much of a limit for summoning spirits. You can call it munchkinism if you want but to me it is just a logical reaction to how a person would react given that the rules are kind of like the physics of the setting.

It's a milage may vary bit. All things said and done, a force 8 is nasty, and both the GM and I agree that kind of power should be very very rare in game, particularly since the setting is designed for lower power levels. If your game can work with that kind of power level, than summon away to you -- but with us, it would be munchkinism.
Lanlaorn

Well no, they'd just be as difficult to take out as armored vehicles (up to 10ish at least). There's always an "Attack of Will" (from SM) in a pinch I guess, that has you ignoring ITNW and doing Charisma physical damage, so the team face could be pretty potent if his Willpower is good enough to land hits.

I think the whole idea was "bring an Adept or Mage to fight this" in the same way that the various Matrix support actions require "bring a Hacker or TM to do this", although I will admit being a hacker is a lower investment.

Also I checked SR4A and they even have "armor rating" in air quotes and they specifically go to the trouble of saying it works as normal armor but isn't, etc. Any house rule to make it easier to shoot spirits is just that, and blatantly not RAW. That's why the OP is kind of confusing to me heh. No need to "retool" spirits so that tasers don't screw them. They don't RAW, just refuse to house rule in the cheesy tactics.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 29 2010, 05:43 PM) *

My GM quashed my attempt at using an electrical discharge weapon to drop a spirit. He made a very good argument that if you could zap a spirit like that then Ares wouldn't have had to drop a thermonuclear device on downtown Chicago. Subsequent research also shows that stun guns operate by sending powerful and contradictory signals through all of your muscles, and damage electrical devices by overloading switches. So unless you can argue that Spirits come equipped with a hackable nervous system there is no reason that stun weaponry amounts of electricity are going to hurt them.

What you can use instead is the laser weaponry. It's usually too expensive for players, but brings to my mind the image of a team of corporate Exterminators, showing up to deal with an Infestation using insecticide and laser beams. They'd be in the Mitsuhama EE suit with form fitting armor and personal piecemeal protection systems underneath. It could even be a reality Trideo show:

BUG BUSTERS™! A Horizon Original Series.
Laodicea
Immunity to normal damage provides hardened armor, which I don't think can be halved by weapons systems.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 11:33 AM) *
Because that's definitely not RAW either,

Yes, it is. Armor Penetration, the half Impact from elemental effects, and similar all apply fully to Hardened Armor (& thus to Immunities).

If the armor is "special" or not is irrelevant; it is armor, is used as part of the damage resistance test, and is affected fully by all forms of armor penetration. This is Rules as Written.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 03:01 PM) *
Well no, they'd just be as difficult to take out as armored vehicles (up to 10ish at least). There's always an "Attack of Will" (from SM) in a pinch I guess, that has you ignoring ITNW and doing Charisma physical damage, so the team face could be pretty potent if his Willpower is good enough to land hits.

I think the whole idea was "bring an Adept or Mage to fight this" in the same way that the various Matrix support actions require "bring a Hacker or TM to do this", although I will admit being a hacker is a lower investment.

Also I checked SR4A and they even have "armor rating" in air quotes and they specifically go to the trouble of saying it works as normal armor but isn't, etc. Any house rule to make it easier to shoot spirits is just that, and blatantly not RAW. That's why the OP is kind of confusing to me heh. No need to "retool" spirits so that tasers don't screw them. They don't RAW, just refuse to house rule in the cheesy tactics.

Just as difficult to take out as vehicles and that is a good thing? Seriously you can pull these thing out of thin air, do you really want a I can pull a cirtymaster out of thin air as a power you give to a player?

And Muspellsheimr has the RAW on this.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 29 2010, 03:08 PM) *
My GM quashed my attempt at using an electrical discharge weapon to drop a spirit. He made a very good argument that if you could zap a spirit like that then Ares wouldn't have had to drop a thermonuclear device on downtown Chicago. Subsequent research also shows that stun guns operate by sending powerful and contradictory signals through all of your muscles, and damage electrical devices by overloading switches. So unless you can argue that Spirits come equipped with a hackable nervous system there is no reason that stun weaponry amounts of electricity are going to hurt them.

What you can use instead is the laser weaponry. It's usually too expensive for players, but brings to my mind the image of a team of corporate Exterminators, showing up to deal with an Infestation using insecticide and laser beams. They'd be in the Mitsuhama EE suit with form fitting armor and personal piecemeal protection systems underneath. It could even be a reality Trideo show:

BUG BUSTERS™! A Horizon Original Series.

While this is somewhat logical technically by the rules a spirit of fire is hurt by fire all spirits can be gassed, electrocuted etc. They do not have any immunities other than to normal weapons. Your GM is free to rule in ways that he thinks makes sense and what he thinks makes the game better. But weirdly I can use things that should only effect organics on a materialized spirit being.
Stormdrake
Ok, back up a sec here. Where does it say that spirits only have one track for damage and that stun only weapons (ie SnS) does not affect them? I can't believe i missed a rule like that.
Lanlaorn
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 29 2010, 03:39 PM) *
Just as difficult to take out as vehicles and that is a good thing? Seriously you can pull these thing out of thin air, do you really want a I can pull a cirtymaster out of thin air as a power you give to a player?

And Muspellsheimr has the RAW on this.

As difficult to take out as vehicles for mundane people, an Adept could tear through them. And regarding RAW, no he doesn't, read for yourself:

A critter with Immunity has an enhanced resistance to a certain
type of attack or affliction. The critter gains an “Armor rating” equal to
twice its Magic against that damage. This Immunity Armor is treated
as “hardened” protection (see Hardened Armor above), meaning that
if the Damage Value does not exceed the Armor, then the attack automatically
does no damage. Additionally, this “armor rating” is added
to the damage resistance test as normal armor.
Immunity to Age: Some beings possess immunity to aging. These
beings neither age nor suffer the effects of aging.
Immunity to Normal Weapons: This immunity applies to all
weapons that are not magical (weapon foci, spells, adept or critter
powers). If the critter has the Allergy weakness, then the Immunity
does not apply against non-magical attacks made using the allergen.

The writers are literally going above and beyond to say that this is not armor. The spirit has an "armor rating" that is treated as "hardened" protection (note: it's not hardened armor, it just works similar to it so no, something that works on hardened armor does not therefore work on Immunity). I mean the sentence where hardened is in air quotes and they say protection instead of armor is pretty obviously specifically closing any loopholes.

I don't care what house rules you guys play by, but that's RAW right there, spirits are ridiculously hard to kill without magic.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 09:28 PM) *
I don't care what house rules you guys play by, but that's RAW right there, spirits are ridiculously hard to kill without magic.

Or lasers. *Pew pew!*

[ Spoiler ]
Walpurgisborn
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Jun 29 2010, 04:48 PM) *
Ok, back up a sec here. Where does it say that spirits only have one track for damage and that stun only weapons (ie SnS) does not affect them? I can't believe i missed a rule like that.

It doesn't, that's the house rule I was looking for feedback on.

Lanlaorn
Lasers are the exact same thing as tasers for this purpose, they reduce impact armor by one half. Spirit don't have impact armor, they have ITNW which is an "armor rating". You know, if you really wanted to be cheap as hell you could actually dress your spirits in armor. It won't be quite as convenient since they'll have to walk around with you but there's no reason a Spirit of Man can't also be running around in a milspec armor suit.

For the record I do agree that it's a crazy level of protection for mid to high level spirits.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 09:59 PM) *
Lasers are the exact same thing as tasers for this purpose, they reduce impact armor by one half. Spirit don't have impact armor, they have ITNW which is an "armor rating". You know, if you really wanted to be cheap as hell you could actually dress your spirits in armor. It won't be quite as convenient since they'll have to walk around with you but there's no reason a Spirit of Man can't also be running around in a milspec armor suit.

For the record I do agree that it's a crazy level of protection for mid to high level spirits.

Lasers do not have the problems that tasers do because they do Physical damage. You will notice that Immunity to Normal Weapons refers up to Hardened Armor, which refers to "modified Damage Value" "exceed[ing] the Armor rating (modified by Armor Penetration)". And if you don't bounce your attack "Hardened Armor provides both Ballistic and Impact armor equal to it's rating."

The Spirit may only have one damage track, but that doesn't mean the armor is treated any differently from normal.

[ Spoiler ]
Lanlaorn
No, I quoted the Immunity attribute above, look:

This Immunity Armor is treated
does no damage

They say it's analogous to hardened armor not that it is hardened armor. And then clarify what they mean in the same sentence! At no point is it inferred that the weaknesses of hardened armor carry over. They don't even say hardened armor, it's ' "hardened" protection'. Seriously folks IMO I see the writers bending over backwards here to prevent exactly the interpretation you guys are coming to.

Hardened Armor is a physical thing, like a carapace or a dragon's scales that physically reduce damage the way a vehicle's armor does. INTW is different, and if it wasn't then they would have just said "Spirits have Hardened Armor equal to Force x2".

Oh and btw, how do you guys access that $imon$ez resource? That seems remarkably handy (and also a crazy copyright violation, lol).
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 04:28 PM) *
The writers are literally going above and beyond to say that this is not armor. The spirit has an "armor rating" that is treated as "hardened" protection (note: it's not hardened armor, it just works similar to it so no, something that works on hardened armor does not therefore work on Immunity). I mean the sentence where hardened is in air quotes and they say protection instead of armor is pretty obviously specifically closing any loopholes.

I don't want to argue with the informative power of air quotes, but where does it say it is treated like armor except for armor penetration values?

You seem to be adding a sentence somewhere that does not exist. The spirit has an "armor rating" that is ]treated as "hardened" protection.

Awesome now how does armor rating work, how does hardened protection work? Follow those rules and you have immunity to normal weapons. If it was Armor rating but more awesome because AP doesn't help don't you think that would have been mentioned.
Lanlaorn
You can't say that because armor penetration isn't expressly excluded then therefore of course it applies. They define the term by explicitly mentioning each benefit and giving an example of something similar. Adding in weaknesses is your own interpretation. Why do you think they needed this sentence at the end:

Additionally, this “armor rating” is added

In addition your house rule just opens more questions. Is the spirit's "armor" non-conductive? Why not fire resistant? It's some kind of magical force field, you'd think that wouldn't conduct electricity and so add it's "full rating" to ignore the DV of the attack.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 10:13 PM) *
They say it's analogous to hardened armor not that it is hardened armor. And then clarify what they mean in the same sentence! At no point is it inferred that the weaknesses of hardened armor carry over. They don't even say hardened armor, it's ' "hardened" protection'. Seriously folks IMO I see the writers bending over backwards here to prevent exactly the interpretation you guys are coming to.

Hardened Armor is a physical thing, like a carapace or a dragon's scales that physically reduce damage the way a vehicle's armor does. INTW is different, and if it wasn't then they would have just said "Spirits have Hardened Armor equal to Force x2".

Oh and btw, how do you guys access that $imon$ez resource? That seems remarkably handy (and also a crazy copyright violation, lol).

Finish reading the sentence you are quoting.

About your comment on $imon$ez: $imon$ez references and correctly attributes all of it's quotes, is using the quotes for the purpose of criticism and/or commentary, is not being used to draw a profit from otherwise copyrighted material, and can be seen to have a positive effect on the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work (based on an argument that ease of reference is value-added), and so should fall under Fair Use [link] and therefore isn't a copyright violation.

Here is the reference to the rules you stated.
[ Spoiler ]

Here is a reference to the US Laws on the Limitations of Copyright as referring to Fair Use:
[ Spoiler ]
Lanlaorn
I'm asking how you use $imon$ez, aka what's the url? Google is failing in this regard.

Also, I personally don't care at all about information piracy so don't worry about it, but fyi that argument would never hold up in court. The fact that you could swap in "downloading music" in the place of $imon$ez and all the points still apply should set off warning bells, but ultimately it's up to the copyright holder to enforce it and I suppose the creators don't care.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 11:20 PM) *
I'm asking how you use $imon$ez, aka what's the url? Google is failing in this regard.

Also, I personally don't care at all about information piracy so don't worry about it, but fyi that argument would never hold up in court. The fact that you could swap in "downloading music" in the place of $imon$ez and all the points still apply should set off warning bells, but ultimately it's up to the copyright holder to enforce it and I suppose the creators don't care.

You didn't read the applicable law, then, did you? Limited quotations from a copyrighted document that give full reference to the copyrighted work and a wholesale reproduction of an intellectual property for distribution are not the same thing at all. You may not care about information piracy, but I very much do. If you were to go and cut a book up into quotes using $imon$ez, post them, and then recompile them into another book, you are then engaging in intellectual property theft, which would be the same as the "downloading music" but useful quotes of a limited nature are not the same thing as an mp3 by a long shot.

Also, the creators and writers of Shadowrun, many of whom frequent this site and also care about information piracy for some reason, and the corporation holding the intellectual property rights are not the same either.
Dumori
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 06:33 PM) *

Its both. Thus it don;t matter what you pick you half it.

Also it don't matter you can't shoot spirits as they cant even materialise by RAW. Buff the ITNW all you want they never get to use it...
Dumori
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 10:59 PM) *
Lasers are the exact same thing as tasers for this purpose, they reduce impact armor by one half. Spirit don't have impact armor, they have ITNW which is an "armor rating".

Mystic armor and the armor spell also give "armor rating" that is x/x impact and balistic.
Lanlaorn
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 29 2010, 06:40 PM) *
You didn't read the applicable law, then, did you? Limited quotations from a copyrighted document that give full reference to the copyrighted work and a wholesale reproduction of an intellectual property for distribution are not the same thing at all. You may not care about information piracy, but I very much do. If you were to go and cut a book up into quotes using $imon$ez, post them, and then recompile them into another book, you are then engaging in intellectual property theft, which would be the same as the "downloading music" but useful quotes of a limited nature are not the same thing as an mp3 by a long shot.

Also, the creators and writers of Shadowrun, many of whom frequent this site and also care about information piracy for some reason, and the corporation holding the intellectual property rights are not the same either.

Quoting works in an intellectual paper is fine, but a database that contains the entirety of a work is not fine, referenced or not. What's the distinction between this electronic copy of SR4 rules and a pirated copy of the PDF?

You know you also keep not providing the url to me so I could see for myself, despite my repeated requests.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 30 2010, 01:06 AM) *
Quoting works in an intellectual paper is fine, but a database that contains the entirety of a work is not fine, referenced or not. What's the distinction between this electronic copy of SR4 rules and a pirated copy of the PDF?

You know you also keep not providing the url to me so I could see for myself, despite my repeated requests.

Ah, let me post the "program" for you.

$imon$ez:
//Book //(p)age#
//"Quoted Text"
$imoff:

--$imon$ez is an opensource [Knowsoft]::code provided by TrnZhX--

See what I mean? There is no database containing the SR universe, other than my head and PDFs.
tagz
Lanloarn, I think you're missing something important in the very quote you're using.

Immunity to Age: Some beings possess immunity to aging. These
beings neither age nor suffer the effects of aging.

"As normal armor" reads that for all intents and purposes the armor rating is treated like regular armor. Regular armor's rating is modified by all types of AP.

The modification of armor ratings takes place prior to soaks as spelled out in combat and armor rules. The effect for Hardend armor creates a 100% soak pass fail test, the test for this occurs at the time damage is soaked. Whether or not we call it Hardend armor or something in air quotes, we are using that same effect and that effect is not changed in the description here. Therefor, modified armor values are used when calculating the effects of ITNW.

Seems to me like it's both backed up by it's (admittedly poorly written) language, and proper use of game mechanics. To treat it otherwise would require a deeper explanation in the description of ITNW. If the rules to not explicitly provide an exemption, all other rules apply as normal.

"Lasers are the exact same thing as tasers for this purpose, they reduce impact armor by one half. Spirit don't have impact armor, they have ITNW which is an "armor rating".

By this reasoning spirits receive no benefit from ITNW at all. A gunshot is soaked with Ballistic armor, and a spirit has none, they have INTW = 2xF. Likewise, Lasers reduce impact armor, a spirit has ITNW = 2XF. If you are going to say it cannot be halved because it isn't the same type of armor then you should not be using it when the rules specifically call for the use of said armor. As such by your interpretation that they are not interchangeable, a spirit receives no armor to nearly all types of attacks.

Instead, ITNW is treated as regular armor, (both ballistic and impact) AS REGULAR ARMOR. The only difference is that if you don't exceed the modified armor rating the defender makes a full soak.
Lanlaorn
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 29 2010, 07:10 PM) *
Ah, let me post the "program" for you.

$imon$ez:
//Book //(p)age#
//"Quoted Text"
$imoff:

--$imon$ez is an opensource [Knowsoft]::code provided by TrnZhX--

See what I mean? There is no database containing the SR universe, other than my head and PDFs.

Lol! You should have said as much. There are various bots like that, typically found in IRC chat rooms. For example a religious chat channel might have a bot called Word_Of_God that spits out Bible passages on request, etc. I didn't realize you were just having a bit of fun with your rules quotes.

"As normal armor" reads that for all intents and purposes the armor rating is treated like regular armor. Regular armor's rating is modified by all types of AP.

The modification of armor ratings takes place prior to soaks as spelled out in combat and armor rules. The effect for Hardend armor creates a 100% soak pass fail test, the test for this occurs at the time damage is soaked. Whether or not we call it Hardend armor or something in air quotes, we are using that same effect and that effect is not changed in the description here. Therefor, modified armor values are used when calculating the effects of ITNW.

Seems to me like it's both backed up by it's (admittedly poorly written) language, and proper use of game mechanics. To treat it otherwise would require a deeper explanation in the description of ITNW. If the rules to not explicitly provide an exemption, all other rules apply as normal.

"Lasers are the exact same thing as tasers for this purpose, they reduce impact armor by one half. Spirit don't have impact armor, they have ITNW which is an "armor rating".

By this reasoning spirits receive no benefit from ITNW at all. A gunshot is soaked with Ballistic armor, and a spirit has none, they have INTW = 2xF. Likewise, Lasers reduce impact armor, a spirit has ITNW = 2XF. If you are going to say it cannot be halved because it isn't the same type of armor then you should not be using it when the rules specifically call for the use of said armor. As such by your interpretation that they are not interchangeable, a spirit receives no armor to nearly all types of attacks.

Instead, ITNW is treated as regular armor, (both ballistic and impact) AS REGULAR ARMOR. The only difference is that if you don't exceed the modified armor rating the defender makes a full soak.

Oh to be clear, I'm not disputing that the damage resistance has armor penetration effects, just the original check to overcome the immunity. So for example a Force 4 spirit, ITNW at 8, IMO if you shoot a DV 7 laser at it, no damage taken, and ITNW is not reduced by 50%. If you shoot a DV 9 laser then it's taking damage with 4 armor + body resisting it (because for the damage resistance check, you treat the ITNW value as normal armor).

I don't know, it seems clear to me but meh..
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 30 2010, 01:49 AM) *
Lol! You should have said as much. There are various bots like that, typically found in IRC chat rooms. For example a religious chat channel might have a bot called Word_Of_God that spits out Bible passages on request, etc. I didn't realize you were just having a bit of fun with your rules quotes.

If you thought I was using a database of some kind, I can see why you would have called it piracy. Something like that without Topps' seal of approval would definitely be a copyright violation. Sorry that I got snippy.

Oh to be clear, I'm not disputing that the damage resistance has armor penetration effects, just the original check to overcome the immunity. So for example a Force 4 spirit, ITNW at 8, IMO if you shoot a DV 7 laser at it, no damage taken, and ITNW is not reduced by 50%. If you shoot a DV 9 laser then it's taking damage with 4 armor + body resisting it (because for the damage resistance check, you treat the ITNW value as normal armor).

You know, there is a whole sentence after the words "automatically does no damage" that isn't in my book? I take it that got changed between editions?

But what I think you are looking at is the description in Immunity that says if the DV does not exceed the Armor it does no damage. The modified damage value is not mentioned here, but is up in Hardened Armor. So this is a lawyer type question. I'll look up some stuff and get back to ya.
Lanlaorn
Don't worry about being snippy heh, once it was clear that we just had a miscommunication I immediately understood, I'd respond the same way if I thought someone was saying I shouldn't quote the rules in a forum post lol. How would we ever get any discussion done without that? Although the D&D official forums are pretty strict about that sort of thing heh.

And yes that's exactly the point I'm making. The difference between Hardened Armor and Immunity to Normal Weapons is that HA explicitly says that armor penetration to defeat the damage immunity works quoted here:

If the
modified Damage Value of an attack does not exceed the Armor
rating (modified by Armor Penetration), then it bounces harmlessly
off the critter; don’t even bother to make a Damage Resistance Test.

Meanwhile the ITNW does not say that whatsoever and in fact takes great pains to make sure to distinguish between immunity and armor (quoted numerous times in the thread already, not going to bother again). Once you're rolling damage resistance, yes of course treat it (as the rules exactly say) as normal armor and reduce by 50%. But for the initial check to see whether the target is damaged at all, comparing DV to ITNW? No way. ITNW itself is not impact armor and the Immunity rules text really stresses that.
toturi
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 30 2010, 09:54 AM) *
Meanwhile the ITNW does not say that whatsoever and in fact takes great pains to make sure to distinguish between immunity and armor (quoted numerous times in the thread already, not going to bother again). Once you're rolling damage resistance, yes of course treat it (as the rules exactly say) as normal armor and reduce by 50%. But for the initial check to see whether the target is damaged at all, comparing DV to ITNW? No way. ITNW itself is not impact armor and the Immunity rules text really stresses that.

ITNW with respect to checking whether the target is damaged at all, refers to Hardened Armor. Hence you follow the Hardened Armor rules for that particular portion.
Dumori

But that's not how hardened armour works. ITNW grants hardened armour with a few specal rules. Hardened armour is lowered by AP. Its armour ±AP < DV(with out net hits) then damage is done. That's RAW, RAI and everything.

Also I repeat if you going to be that fiddly with wording spirits can not materialise by RAW. As Materialisation is a physical power and you can't use physical power in the astral where a spirit must be to use the power. So in you RAW strict game ITNW won't come up that much will it.
Lanlaorn
I think you're reading a lot into that parenthetical "see Hardened Armor above", it was just an example of a similar effect, the rest of the sentence explains exactly what it means, it makes no mention of modified armor (as the HA rules do).
Dumori
How ever it is treated as such. Thus if they wanted AP not to effect it they would have to state such. In fact the bracketed (modified by Armor Penitartion) is likely only missing as it is not really necessary in the hardened armour description. AP effects all amour from any source find me a piece of armour that says all AP isn't used.

I'm also going to make the point toturi is with me on this. I'm also going to asume seeing that you joined 9 days ago you don't know about his strict interpretation of the of RAW. He follows the RAW to the letter. Such examples of this is him arguing that a rack can be poisoned by the rules until he found a line in a rule book that proved him wrong.
QUOTE (SR4A pg295)
Hardened Armor
Type: P • Action: Auto • Range: Self • Duration: Always
Hardened Armor is even tougher than normal armor. If the
modified Damage Value of an attack does not exceed the Armorrating (modified by Armor Penetration), then it bounces harmlessly
off the critter; don’t even bother to make a Damage Resistance Test.
Otherwise, Hardened Armor provides both Ballistic and Impact armor equal to its rating.

Immunity
Type: P • Action: Auto • Range: Self • Duration: Always

The two rules required. First Immunity Armor is both Ballistic and Impact armor. Second there's no rule saying AP isn't used in the calculation(Meaning Immunity Fire/Shock would require two time as much armour to get the same effect an odd quirk).
tagz
Then why reference them in the first place? The description goes on to repeat a similar rule, so why provide the reference if the ruling is different?

The writers have definitely made some mistakes in their choice of words and language but referring to a rule but intending a distinct change from it without providing a clear exemption from the rule just referenced?

Besides, the armor rules say that they always apply to all forms of armor unless an exemption is made. That means if it ignores AP they HAVE TO STATE THAT EXPLICITLY as per p160 SR4A.
Unless otherwise noted, the following rules apply to both ranged combat and melee attacks.

I see no explicit statement saying it ignores AP, only an inferred one by one of several rule interpretations, so by the rule on p160 we treat AP as normal.
Dumori
Thanks for the AP quote I couldn't find it to add to my list of quotes.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 08:21 PM) *
I think you're reading a lot into that parenthetical "see Hardened Armor above", it was just an example of a similar effect, the rest of the sentence explains exactly what it means, it makes no mention of modified armor (as the HA rules do).

And everyone else seems to think that you are not reading enough into it. If the majority of people here on Dumpshock disagree with you on the RAW (and it seems like way more than just a Majority here) then you are probably doing it all wrong...

Keep the Faith
Lanlaorn
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 29 2010, 10:05 PM) *
And everyone else seems to think that you are not reading enough into it. If the majority of people here on Dumpshock disagree with you on the RAW (and it seems like way more than just a Majority here) then you are probably doing it all wrong...

Keep the Faith

Just so you know, that argument is a complete logical fallacy.

And look, I don't know what was intended and I'm not going to make claims about how it should be written, I'm just pointing out how it currently is written. That paragraph is unnecessarily, extremely convoluted if it's saying what you believe.

I'm not going to argue any more about this, but I am curious about one thing, if tasers, lasers and flamethrowers are -half ITNW against spirits, does the sonic rifle completely ignore ITNW?
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 29 2010, 11:47 PM) *
And look, I don't know what was intended and I'm not going to make claims about how it should be written, I'm just pointing out how it currently is written. That paragraph is unnecessarily, extremely convoluted if it's saying what you believe.

Funny thing is, I think your interpretation can be described in much the same way. I just figured it meant "It's like Hardened Armor, but more magicky, and can be bypassed in the following ways." Plus, there's this li'l tidbit:

QUOTE (SR4A, Page 186, Spirit Combat)
Physical spirits have the power of Immunity to Normal Weapons (p. 295), giving them Armor equal to twice their Force against all attacks.

As far as I'm concerned, this rather clears up any lingering ambiguity as far as intent goes, at least as to whether or not it should be considered to follow the same rules as Armor. They just keep on talking about the armor rating over and over again. Tossing a few quotation marks around "armor rating" isn't enough to make me think that they don't think it should be treated as if it were armor rating.

You guys are funny sometimes.
Whipstitch
As difficult to take out as vehicles for mundane people, an Adept could tear through them.

Missed this. It's sorta true, but not really.

Adepts have an answer for the Immunity problem but not much of an answer as far being able to consistently hit goes, at least vs. smartly played Force 5+ and up spirits that can even give the Samurai's automatic weapons fire a bit of a hard time. It's the danged Skillx2 thing with Full Defense again. On Full Defense, a Force 5 Guardian Spirit will be rolling 17 dice to defend against melee. That's not impossible to hit, of course, but doing so is by no means certain, and Air/Fire Spirits are even worse because they are faster, can fly and wield ranged attacks. At Force 7 you're basically trying to knock out Bruce Lee. Again, it's not impossible, but you really need to go all-in and start taking a good, hard look at your Edge dice, even as an Adept.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 30 2010, 12:59 AM) *
Missed this. It's sorta true, but not really.

Adepts have an answer for the Immunity problem but not much of an answer as far being able to consistently hit goes, at least vs. smartly played Force 5+ and up spirits that can even give the Samurai's automatic weapons fire a bit of a hard time. It's the danged Skillx2 thing with Full Defense again. On Full Defense, a Force 5 Guardian Spirit will be rolling 17 dice to defend against melee. That's not impossible to hit, of course, but doing so is by no means certain, and Air/Fire Spirits are even worse because they are faster, can fly and wield ranged attacks. At Force 7 you're basically trying to knock out Bruce Lee. Again, it's not impossible, but you really need to go all-in and start taking a good, hard look at your Edge dice, even as an Adept.

Well with 2 IPs there is a good chance they will run out of full defense actions before the adept runs out of punches. But yes it is really hard for an adept, even if they aren't flying and using powers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012