Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1 gun...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Yerameyahu
Or you drop like 7BP for the Martial Art trick? Crazy times.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 10 2010, 04:03 PM) *
Ok, favorite gun of all time would have to be the FGMP (IIRC is name correctly). Or the Fusion Gun, Man Portable. Each time its fired it gives everyone in line of sight a lethal does of radiation and that's just the SIDE EFFECT. Its actual shot just kills people (and you get 3 shots per firing action) and is the only gun in its game system that makes you track the trajectory of every shot, because it WILL punch through a tank and take out another one.

...would you want a young lady who has the outlook of a 13 year old packing a fusion weapon?

She's scary enough with the gyrojet or a grenade pistol as the rest of the team found out last week.

Bright Lady help us if she gets her hands on an Anti Material Rifle or MPML.
Yerameyahu
First, don't want any young lady carrying any weapon: they're crazy. nyahnyah.gif

Isn't the gyrojet in SR4 strictly worse than almost everything? smile.gif What's a grenade pistol?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Jul 11 2010, 10:25 AM) *
Ex-Ex will get a person killified when they get hit by a fire, light, blast, or explosive effect and do their damage to the carrying character. Shock lock dont make extra bang, do extra damage, and EAT items struck. If you shoot a door with shok-lock you double your chances of blasting a hole.

...as I stopped playing 4th Ed a while ago, not sure what Shock Lock rounds are.

According to the description of Explosive rounds in the SR4 gear section, they are solid slugs designed to fragment and explode on impact. EXEX are just a more powerful variant. They are no more prone to "cook off" than normal ammo. The one disadvantage is that Explosive rounds can misfire on a critical glitch with the firing character taking a single attack at the weapon's base damage value (basically, they fragment inside the barrel of the weapon).

In previous editions Explosive and EX Explosive rounds actually contained a small explosive charge which did make them more dangerous to carry.
Neraph
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Jul 10 2010, 11:38 AM) *
+1 for the Ares Predator. Plus, I was just skimming through the guns in SR4A, and I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the pistol pictured next to the text entry on the Ruger Supwarhawk was, in point of fact, NOT a revolver?

Got into an argument with a friend over it, in fact. I won because I read the text to him (and stat line), proving that it was in fact a revolver, not a semi.

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jul 10 2010, 03:25 PM) *
If I were a stone-cold professional shadowrunner, I'd go with a Machine Pistol. A bit harder to hide than a Heavy Pistol, but easier to smuggle than an SMG or Shotgun. The Ares Crusader would be my first choice, though I prefer the look of the FN 5-7C. I'd convert it to FA for suppressive fire again, plus a smartlink, upgraded gas-vent III (it already has one despite pistols not normally being able to, so I'm just upgrading the damn thing), detachable sound suppressor, ceramic/plasteel 3, powered break-down, personalized grip, and gecko grip options off the top of my head. Again, ignoring the 6-slot rule. I'd have both a Quick-Draw and Concealable Holster depending on the situation, and naturally a Long Coat or its equivalent to help hide it all that much more. Primary load would be AV despite the silliness of it (hey, no rule against it as far as I know), with Stick-n-Shock, Capsule (DMSO/Drug of Choice), and EX-Explosive clips on hand.

I agree with this concept and choice, but not with the mods. I'd go with built-in silencer/suppressor, no FA mod, and electronic firing. With subsonic ammo you're looking at a -7 to Perception to find it. Hard to argue with that.

QUOTE (Dumori @ Jul 11 2010, 11:44 AM) *
A good gun would be a redline pistol asuming you have access to power sockets you can restock up on ammo free. It hits HARD and is easy to hide. It's a bit out there.

I was going to make this point. Power sockets are easy to find - I assume the power packs come with plugs that you can put into any standard power grid. One or two clips or one satchel should do you good.... permanently

I'm actually surprised (actually, not really) no one has mentioned this, but for a disposable firearm, I've taken a real liking to the Colt Asp. Cheap as all get-out with a really low availability means getting these (and disposing of them) is easy and painless.

On the other hand, a Super Squirt is legal (although the toxin may change that), and packed with Pepper Punch is fairly dangerous.

Nothing beats my gnome combat mage with a pistol grip for my firearm of choice though. He says his name is Gilbert, not "Little Friend" though, and no emotisoft/weapon personality can compete with the real thing.

EDIT: Editing more addons as I read through the thread. Be forewarned.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 10 2010, 10:58 AM) *
Awesomness.

Also, having only one gun is pretty stupid, unless you chage hammer and barrel on a regular basis. My characters usually use standard weapons and dump them at the end of an operation.

I wish I could afford that. My character is so hopped up on infiltration and stealth that doing so would be excessively expensive for the payouts we get. Every single one of my weapons is fitted with either the chameleon mod, or is fitted to use ghillie shrouds. I would pick up weapons in the course of a mission, but since I'm the one that's usually farthest from where enemies die I rarely run into points where I can pick up their weapons to use.

--

Also, since it was one gun and no stipulation on how much ammo you could have....

Ares Thunderstruck or the Barret Model 121.
Mäx
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 11 2010, 11:40 PM) *
If the weapon has a "clip" both are equally fast. Dropping a weapon and drawing another takes one free and one simple action, same as with ejecting a smart clip and inserting a new one. Of course most shotguns don't have removable mags, so in general you are correct.

Well you can pull the gun and shoot it with the same single action, so thats faster.
Medicineman
And I thought it was :
Ejecting empty Clip(free action with Smartlink)
Readying Clip (simple Action)
Inserting Clip (simple Action)
....oO(I Think we even "invented" fastdraw Clipholders so readying and inserting a Clip could be handled in only one simple Action)

HokaHey
Medicineman
MortVent
hidden arm slides, work great for clips or speedloaders... not just for pistols and blades ya know
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 11 2010, 08:57 PM) *
Or you drop like 7BP for the Martial Art trick? Crazy times.

5 BP. You pick a martial arts style for 5 BP and get one of its advantages (such as quick draw). The 2 BP more is for the special moves such as Finishing Blow than any martial arts style can acquire up to two of per 5 BP of martial arts.
Sixgun_Sage
Ares Predator for the simple reason it is a workhorse gun, concealable, decent firepower, smartlink and you KNOW it will never jam up on you. need a bit more firepower? modd it for burst or slap in ExEx rounds, need it suppressed? That can be done too, and you are never gonna have trouble finding ammo or spare parts. There is a reason 90% of runners will own a Predator at some point in their professional life.
Yerameyahu
Well, a couple of Heavy Pistols are categorically superior to the Pred, even with popularity, reliability, etc. factored in.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Jul 11 2010, 02:30 PM) *
Its not a matter of matching your weapons to your crimes. Its a matter of matching crime A to crime B to crime C, and having the cumulative evidence build up to a usable profile that leads to you. Its actually not uncommon today for police to know the same gun was used in multiple crimes, allowing them to link together otherwise unrelated bits of information.
Granted, assuming you are careful about not letting out those "unrelated bits" of information in the first place (any one of which might be enough to nail you anyhow), linking your crimes via your gun probably isn't big deal. But it still probably makes you look bad to your Johnson- if its well enough known, its almost like leaving a "signature" at the scene. Sure, you CAN get away with it, but why?

EWhy the frag would a J give a crap that possibly somewhere in the city there's a crime file on one of the guns I use, which ideally isn't linked to me in any way shape or form. Shadowrun is litterally a game world where gangers attack intercity shiping on major highways in broad day light while other gangs catapult bioweapons at the arcology blocks. Even if someone has painstakingly identified that an Ares Predator was used unless the gun is specifically stamping it's seriel number onto every bullet ala that terrible Judge Dream movie the best most ballistics forensics can identify is model, caliber and if you get the gun in hand you can confirm the specific weapon. For a gun model with thousands if not millions in the world you need other pattern matching to begin to confirm gun links.
Shrike30
The assault rifle of your choice, with recoil compensation, vision magnification, and a sound suppressor (even just a screw-on). If you aren't worried about concealing it, you've got something good for close-range fighting (autofire, large capacity mag, good damage) which can also reach out and touch somebody. Not too hard to make one of these nearly out-of-the-box which is also deadly as hell.
Yerameyahu
That's why I said the Smartgun X. Less range, more conceal, all the built-ins you need.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 13 2010, 11:45 AM) *
Well, a couple of Heavy Pistols are categorically superior to the Pred, even with popularity, reliability, etc. factored in.

If you're in a serious scrounger situation though, the odds are reasonably good that someone nearby will have a spare magazine for a Predator. I'll admit that picking a Glock 23 as a personal carry weapon was slightly influenced by the knowledge that Seattle PD carry a mix of G22's and G23's, and the G23 will accept magazines from either model.
Whipstitch
One of my nastiest characters was a 6 Edge Gunslinger/Face whose only weapon was a Fichetti Security 600 with all the trimmings-- Personalized Grip, Custom Look 2, Improved Range Finder, Smartgun, and my personal favorite part of the weapon, an Additional Clip system. A Fichetti 600 can handle 30 rounds base, after all, so with the additional clip system you've got two 22 round sets of ammo that you can switch between with a Free Action on a weapon that is still sports Heavy Pistol class concealment after the modification. In rougher parts of the town I went with Stick and Shock in one clip and APDS in the other-- You know, in case I felt like being saucy. Sure, he was leaving some damage code on the table, but when you're throwing 20 dice it doesn't hurt much to make some concessions to convenience.
SkepticInc
Ares Redline: AP is 1/2 Impact Armor, DV is 5P, sports a rechargeable power clip. SMG ranges, conceals like a pistol.

"That's nice, it's still not worth it." you say. Oh, I retort, but it is. You see, the thing that you get is that Peak-Discharge Battery Pack. Why does that matter? Because lasers are pointless, and any laser weapon uses more energy less efficiently than a bomb does. So your Peak-Discharge Battery Pack not only lets you shoot your cute little laz pistol, it is a freakishly dense energy storage that you can do fun things with like discharge it onto any conducting surface that someone you don't like is touching. So much fun.

Plus, you get to shout "ZAP!" every time you use your pistol, which is awesome.
The Grue Master
I guess if I could only have one gun (and let's pretend I get a trenchcoat) I'd take:

Ares Alpha
- Stock
- Barrel
+ Foregrip/Sling
+ Low-Light Flashlight
+ GasVent 3
+ Personalized Grip
+ Environment Mod 1
Daylen
anyone mention one of those guns that can be reconfigured into a smg, rifle, assult rifle and maybe pistol?
CanRay
You know, I'm still wondering why we're talking about artillery and naval weapons.

And why do all these firearms use "Clips"? I thought manufacturers figured out how to make "Magazines" to make reloading easier.
The Grue Master
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 13 2010, 08:04 PM) *
You know, I'm still wondering why we're talking about artillery and naval weapons.

And why do all these firearms use "Clips"? I thought manufacturers figured out how to make "Magazines" to make reloading easier.

Ancient, inaccurate, semantic differentiation of internal magazines (m) with an external magazine ©.
CanRay
QUOTE (The Grue Master @ Jul 13 2010, 07:06 PM) *
Ancient, inaccurate, semantic differentiation of internal magazines (m) with an external magazine ( c ).

I'm a gun nut. Ancient, inaccurate, semantic differences get on my nerves. nyahnyah.gif Like the revolvers that never need reloading.

I'd be less annoyed if it wasn't for the fact that those very things are used by gun control lobbies all the time. frown.gif
Doc Chase
A .44 mag S&W Model 29.
Yerameyahu
You can't do anything with that battery except power that laser, and *maybe* other lasers. nyahnyah.gif Hehe.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 14 2010, 04:01 AM) *
You can't do anything with that battery except power that laser, and *maybe* other lasers. nyahnyah.gif Hehe.

RAW doesn't say anything about it, but I guarantee something like that could be a weapon. (it also powers the Screech Rifle, so there.)
Yerameyahu
Haha, I stand corrected. biggrin.gif 'I overload my phasor!'
CanRay
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 13 2010, 10:50 PM) *
Haha, I stand corrected. biggrin.gif 'I overload my phasor!'

How about overloading the Mage? nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012