Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Reclaiming the Void
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Buddha72
Olethros walks slowly around looking at the burn marks and the rest of the fire damage. He also takes a moment to look around the whole loft.

"if you're interested I could try to see what impressions are left here. It might give us some idea what happened and why."
Redjack
Papa nods and gestures invitingly to Ollie.
Saytr
Brock looks as Ollie starts his inspection" Papa mind if i get my gear unpacked, i would like to get sorted out before any company shows up."
Redjack
Brock's question spurs a few more thoughts for Papa. Nodding to Brock, "Yea. Bring it in. Keep a low profile though." At the same time, he puts his fly-spy drones on a patrol algorithm that encompasses the entire block.
BishopMcQ
Papa

Dark purple lines occlude your vision for a moment. You see a woman, the perfect woman in shape, wearing a simple black gown that accentuates the perfection. A small golden locket rests in the hollow of her throat on a light chain. At her feet, a small ork boy has a huge slash across his left arm and a butcher knife in his right. The wound is clearly self-inflicted, but there is no blood anywhere in the picture.

"She is the agent of the Endless who seeks the physical manifestations of their influence. Mortals from your world breached the gap and showed that the Gallery was no longer sealed. Now, the Endless seek to close the doorway to the Mansions of Silence permanently from your world.

"The being is exceptionally old, powerful, and bound to an oath. The terms of that service are unknown to all but the Endless."

As the lines fade, your vision focuses on the search results. There are no hits from any of the major law enforcement groups or SIN databases. Over the last year various news blurbs have discussed a decrease in gang activity in several neighborhoods. A shadow source that makes regular runs along the Medical Examiner's office published autopsy findings of thirteen non-PCC citizens with suspected criminal affiliations found in four block radius. All had excessive blunt force trauma from a large hammer resulting in their deaths--cause of death was labeled "Natural Causes" and no investigation began.

Olethros

The home shows obvious signs of people cleaning recently. You can see a docking station for a small vacuum drone which is recharging. The fight and fire appears to have contained itself to the kitchen, though the floor shows several claw marks through the living room, as though a large cat padded through regularly.

Several small oddities jump out though, an ancient gilt hand mirror rests at an angle against the wall on a side table. What appears to be the front porch and doorway from a dollhouse is mounted to the wall near the ceiling. The door is open and a house built at a miniature scale is evidently expanding into the attic space.

The house has a subtle, but thorough security system, with multiple cameras in each room and sensors on the doors and windows.
JxJxA
"I can show you to a spare room," Uetz says to Brock. "Just mind the mess. Our home normally does not look like this, but my friends took advantage of our absence to throw a house party. It... It did not end well, as you can see."

As he leads Brock towards a spare room, Uetz turns back to look at Ollie.

"I can tell you a bit of what happened. The bruja bewitched my friends and left a fire spirit behind to destroy us. I would guess she did it because we were getting in her way. I have not had a chance to assense it yet. I spent most of the time recuperating from the encounter. Oh look, there's some of my skin burned into the floor..."

Buddha72
"Good to know. Let me see if there's anything here to read and then I have some more questions.' As he speaks he gestures to the dollhouse attached to the ceiling with a raised eyebrow.

Olethros moves to the epicenter of the apparent violence and begins to breathe deeply and slowly opens his senses to the impressions around him buried in the layers of ambient mana. While magic was still weaker than when he was here last there should be enough present to have captured something. He peels back the layers looking for the one that carries Locket's echo.
Saytr
Brock stands there and listens to what happen to the old roommates and hopes he isnt ever put in that type of situation, Alone unknowing of what is going on and then to top it off when you think your home is safe and sound to have ball of fire waiting in your home would not exactly be a nice welcoming home gift. "the room is more than i will be needing. as for the mess, i am sure we can help clean this place up and make it look presentable once again." Brock starts to pull out his MGL Grenade Launcher and LMG while Uetz is standing there "feel free learn the weapons in case your mojo slinging stuff fails on company again." Brock starts the process of putting the LMG back together, a process that doesnt take long but if not done correctly he knew the weapons would not fire correctly. "it will give me a chance to learn a little more about you and Papa's situation and how i can be a team player."
BishopMcQ
All

As Ollie walks through the room, he pauses. You see him take a deep breath and exhale it as his hand flits through the air in front of him. He becomes slightly indistinct--noticeable when you look straight at him, but slipping from view in your periphery. It only last for a moment, and then the pit fighter seems to regain solidity.

Olethros

You feel the memories of time cut through the air and thousands of images blur past you. The kaleidoscope of time stops at a party. Music thrums through your chest as a grunge band practices. You feel time accelerate as drugs and alcohol flow freely. The party continues until Locket arrives. She is wearing the flesh-form from the photograph, not anything that you saw in your previous dealings with her.

As soon as she came in, all eyes were immediately on her and conversations stopped. She was beautiful, wearing a very tight short black dress and stilleto heels with skin the color of Uetz's and raven black hair. There is a golden locket around her neck.

As she talks, most of the people immediately find somewhere else to be, until it is only a troll and a dryad whose beauty pales against Locket left in the room. She talks to them, opening the locket. Just a few steps away, you feel the swell of power wrap around them. Insubstantial flames soar around them and thick cords of ivy drives deep into their auras.

After she leaves, both of them sit unmoving for almost an hour. When they stir, you watch them go outside. A few minutes later, the flickering lights of flames begin and they come running inside and grab household objects and cleaners to start throwing at the fire. The flames grow higher, strengthening the insubstantial flames until you can feel the malevolent force of nature come into being.

Fire trucks arrive and quickly smother the physical flames, unaware of the fire burning within the two. The flashing lights and a distant sense of return are the last impressions as you find yourself back in the present.
JxJxA
Uetz pales a bit when Brock shows him the grenade launcher, and how to put it together.

"I uh...appreciate the gesture, but...killing is... It's just not something I am very comfortable with. That is one of the reasons why you see me the way I am. My magic proved all too effective, just not on the target who truly deserved it."

His head drops, and hangs there for a moment.

"Maybe I should explain. Ever since that 'Huntsman' came into my life, I have seen my friends turned against me, my teammates twisted or taken out, and my twin sister violated right before my eyes." His hand clenches in anger as he spits the last few words.

"Quauhtli...she is my twin, my mentor, and my sister. Since my first moment of clarity in the womb, she was with me. One of Locket's minions banished her from this plane, and I could do nothing to stop it. I was too weak. Weak in my ability to protect my friends, and weak in my grip on my values. I lost control, threw everything I had at them, and ended up killing two people in the process. I'm not a killer... My...my heart just is not that hard, but..." He grumbles, biting his tongue to keep from rambling.

"Part of me hates that I took a life out of revenge, but another part of me is glad that they are dead. As a healer, it is hard for me to come to terms with that."
Redjack
Thanks Harvey
At the speed of though, he transcribes the details about the Locket. Realizing that he has not yet added Brock and Ollie to the TeamNet, he sends an invitation.
<<@Brock, Ollie [Papa] [TeamNet Invitation ARO]>>

Looking to keep information flowing, he starts a search frame looking for the lake where the next artifact should be found.

He then uploads the details about the Locket to the TeamNet.
<<@TeamNet [Papa] [Locket Details]>>

He also builds a small profile on each of Brock and Ollie.
<<@Uetz [Papa] [Ollie Profile] [Brock Profile] Some basic background on each of our new teammates.>>

Papa listens to Uetz, his friend placing a large hand on the human's shoulder. He looks to the new arrivals. "While I respect Uetz's convictions, I lack similar conflicts. Logic dictates that in order to survive, threats must be removed." Looking to the fire damage for just a second before continuing, "The bar has been set to the highest level; multiple times."

He pulls out the edited video from the attack on campus. The edits obscured any details about Papa's Team and provided the most possible and incriminating video about the other team.
<<@TeamNet [Papa] [PITO Video of Campus attack]>>

"So I think that-" Gesturing to the grenade launcher, "-is nothing more than a damn fine start." He gently rubs Uetz's shoulder, sympathetic, but not in agreement.
JxJxA
Uetz smiles meekly at Papa, thankful for the troll's support.

"I know, it is a stupid hang-up to have, especially with all that has happened in the past few days, but I just do not know."

Should I sacrifice my values just to kill that witch? Even if that works, does it not mean that she has destroyed who I want to be? Does that not mean she wins in the end? I just don't know...
Saytr
Brock holds his thought about killing in for a moment while Uetz finishes. "I only know too well how painful it can be to lose loved ones, a year ago my wife and child were taken from me inadvertantly by gangers who cared not of thier actions so I on the other hand have no such feelings about taking life for all those that stand to kill the innocent do not deserve to have the same rights as the innocent. I have directed my revenge to kill those who took my wife and child from me through thier acts of violence with acts of violence of my own. Although i know loosing a sister such as you have is very different then losing a wife and child. however I do know the feelings of loss. If ridding one more piece of evil scum from out 'plane' if i heard you correctly then its a step in the right direction for me to seek my revenge on those who took away those i hold dear to me. through no acts of violence am i changed from who i was, rather i have different motivations for such actions not enjoying it is a good sign."
Brock pulls out a old fashion photo of his wife and child from a protective plastic wrapper and shows it to the others."They were my life...now my life is to avenge thier death and make sure i do what ever i can to stop the evil of gangs and filth to spread."

As brock finishes his little spill he recieves Papa's invite to the TeamNet and accepts the files to download.
BishopMcQ
Uetz

We have known from the earliest days, that distance cannot separate us. Even when I fly among the highest clouds, I am still beside you. Come and join with me, return me home. The fey-thing's cut should carry you through to the dweller, the way you learned before calling me. Focus and guide the path, rather than jumping through in chase of the other.

BishopMcQ
Papa

The search agents populate fifteen images of lakes from Canada and Alaska, one by one they remove as not fitting the mountains or cliffs surrounding them. One location is left in Alaska in the Arctic Ice fields where a meteor struck a century or so back, it is little more than a pond with a a hot spring surrounded by ice.

The Lover's Heart was last spoken of in shadow and darkness, near the City of Roses. One of the mewling creatures which declared itself Prince was taking his love into a secret area. He did not name the place, but discussed it being a few hours to the south.

The Lover's Heart is spoken of giving its holder everything that their heart truly desires, but is rife with consequences. Mortals have lost the art of understanding their heart, and instead see only the lies they tell themselves.
Redjack
Papa steps away from Uetz and sits down in the well used troll sized recliner as Brock opens up to the team. He is going to be a problem... His sense of morality will be his downfall. If he has not already killed an innocent, it is sure to happen... He watches as the search frame begins to spool back images, then filter those results. His focus evenly split, Brock again gives him pause. That is illogical: evil of gangs?

He gets back up after a few minutes and heads into the kitchen to refill his mug. Brock, obviously an asset with his heavy weaponry, will need to be managed. In metropolitan areas, he will be a time bomb.

As he returns from the kitchen, "Help yourselves to refills." Sitting back down, he has also come to the decision not to fully share the location of the next artifact quite yet with everyone. The events of the last few weeks leave him a little paranoid and while Ollie's curiosity is to be expected, it still gave the hacker pause. "We are heading WAY north. Probably gonna need a t-bird. Anybody got experience in the wild?"
Saytr
Hmm well how far north? Brock wondered. "We talking north pole or just above Seattle." Brock had been in Seattle during winter and the rainy seasons, he didn't much like the cold but hey if they stopped by Seattle maybe he could pay a visit to some old stomping grounds.
Redjack
Papa has a duh! moment... "Wait... I think I misinterpreted some of the data..." He grimaces while he runs through the data again. Oh hell... "South of Portland..." He then smacks his forehead and speaks to no one in general. "A Prince of the Tir. Of course! That makes a lot more sense now, so-" He cuts himself off then looks back to the group. "Not yet sure where in the Tir, but kinda looking like the wilderness at the moment. Anybody got Tir SINs?"

He sinks back into the chair before slipping his consciousness into the matrix and lights up his search frame with a new search...
Saytr
Brock thinks south of portland. "I do have a guy i used to get down here that smuggles stuff up and down the west coast all the time, i can reach out and see if he is able to go that far up the coast?"
JxJxA
Uetz listens politely to Brock, and nods sympathetically when he hears of his past. He places his fingers gently on the photo, taking care not to do any more than touch the film.

Xolotl, Brother of Quetzalcoatl, and guardian of the sun, please send your heralds to aid these two as they make their way to Mictlan. Guide them to safety, lead harm astray, and shield them from the troubles of that journey...

"I am sorry to hear that, and I offer my prayers to Xolotl to guide them safely on their journey in the afterlife. Quauhtli was not struck down, but struck back behind the veil. Having to see her harmed while being powerless to stop it helps me understand what drives you towards revenge. The choice may be right for you, but I cannot say that it is right for me."

He trails off, not wanting to continue the conversation. Having to discuss his sins merely brings the memories of the night back. Argent falling victim to gunfire. Quauhtli being smashed by the enemy mage's spell. The white hot flames that burned every fiber of his being, and the power that surged through him as he called upon the darker aspect of the Feathered Serpent. The bodies of the enemies---his victims---collapsing to the ground, with their blood flowing as freely as though he had pierced their chests with a sacrificial dagger...

When Quauhtli's voice touches his mind, Uetz jerks himself upright and his eyes widen. He feels as though lightning has just touched the tip of his spine. In his state of self-flagellating depression, he had

"If you will excuse me, I must see something outside. Quauhtli calls me, and I must answer." For the first time since that night---since he found Rene and Etain twisted into Locket's puppets, his eyes shine with the one thing that had been the nahualli's most defining feature.

His eyes shine with hope.
BishopMcQ
Papa

The search identifies two possible lakes, Shasta and Crater Lake. The former is in CalFree State, and falls within the territory that the Great Dragon Hestaby is believed to have laid claim over. Crater Lake is in the Tir and has been the site of odd magical disturbances and Tir military forces have cordoned off the area. Last April, viral footage of Peace Force troops opening fire on civilians sleep walking towards the Crater Lake zone made its way around the Matrix. The surviving journalist released a comment about dreams calling her to the place, just before she was arrested, indicted and executed for Treason.
Saytr
Brock understood how others might see his reason for violence, vengance wasnt always as clear to others as it is to the ones seeking it. However at the mention of prayers for lost loved ones Brock not well versed in any religions still thankful for the thought hesitantly says "Thank you." I hope that is a good thing Brock thinks to himself but after hearing how Uetz doesnt approve of violence thought it couldnt be a bad thing. A moment later when Uetz springs up and rushes outside Brock looks to Papa for a explanation confused at why he would spring up and rush outside mentioning Qual something or orther. confused Brock calmly goes back to the kitchen refills his coffee holding the pot "anyone else need a refill" and waits for a explanation from either of the other two as he starts to take a interest at the job at hand "Alos so if you dont mind me asking what artifacts do you guys think we are after? for the amount that was offered i am not clear on who or why which isnt my concern but what it is and what it can do certainly should be. So any ideas on what kind of items we are after"
Redjack
As the search results return and the filtering engine quickly narrows to lakes, Papa appears in AR, walking around the living room towards the from door; his meat body relaxing in the recliner. He answers Brock, "The first is a black stone veined with rubies."

He... mewling... Prince... He starts a search frame collating information about current and future Princes of the Tir.

"By the sounds of the various legends, it... it is nothing to trifle with."

As megapulses of data begin streaming in, he begins to tweak the filters... his love... secret areas... Perhaps a filter on love interests for Princes? No reason, yet, to assume it was tragic.

"For the location, I'm really leaning towards the Tir. Crater Lake. Lots of security and military forces. Definitely an in/out convert run. There will probably be prying satellites and lots of mojo."
Saytr
Brock stands there for a second just looking at Papa waiting for the punch line with a slight smile on his face then it fades into his normal damenor "seriously a prince of the Tir and his decorated rock.....well money is money , Papa and i will surely stand out in the Tir right i mean at leat you humans can fit in and are accepted. I dont know what social acceptances are for trolls in the Tir." Seriously the Tir "If my connection can get us up the coast then maybe we can bring my gopher for the land travel it wont be a comfortable ride but atleast it would work off road, unless you guys can get us a great deal on a offroad vehicle.what time frame would we be looking at?"
Buddha72
Olethros releases the impressions and a takes a moment to reorient himself in the present.

"Ok it was Locket or at least something containing a bit of her."

Having only been partially aware of the conversations going on around him, he quickly sorts through the talks.

"As to killing - I'm not convinced we can destroy her. At best we could disrupt her hold here and send her back. Maybe with one of the artifacts it might be possible but it would all depend on what we sought and whether we could use them once we have them."

He walks back to the area of the loft where the majority of the people have gathered.

"I am free to travel as needed though my ability to help with that is very limited. I might be able to travel to a region myself - it would all depend on where. The connections I have rarely use their ability to facilitate mundane matters such as vehicles and SINs."

He walks till he is underneath the doll house attached to the ceiling. His face open and curious.

"What is that for?"
BishopMcQ
Papa

Datastreams pour past your visions. The term "Prince" in the Tir appears to apply to both the Council of Princes, led by the High Prince, and a social ranking for any of those born to the "Royal" level of society. Since 2065, there have been some social efforts to change the wording after open elections for High Prince were held instead of the previous Rites of Succession. Hundreds of names come up with the title Prince. Narrowing the search to just those linked to lovers and travel south of Portland comes up with three names Jenna Ni'Fairra, Dell Piper, and Fawn Raintree. Ni'Fairra is believed to have a home south of Portland, Piper died in 2068 in an automobile accident with his lover, and Raintree is a missing person of interest to the rinelle ke'tesrae.
Saytr
Brock followed Ollies Gaze up to the doll house wondering himself now that he saw it, giving the hmm face he takes another sip of his coffee and waits for the answer to all the info flooding his brain.
JxJxA
Standing outside, Uetz looks in the direction of the "wound." He lets his sight move beyond the curtain of the physical, and perceives the astral.

Why are you still here? he thinks to himself. He bites his lip, and begins to catalog everything he must do to prepare for his journey.

I will come for you, Hueltiuh. I will not let you suffer for my sins...
Redjack
Doubts. Indecision. Second guessing. Papa sifts through the display results, not committed to the current path. He starts a new search on the one that seems likeliest.

As the team begins to spread out, Papa creates additional AR images of himself, one per location to continue the conversations. He adds a small, smurf icon for each of the remote team members, sculpting their faces appropriately. As he speaks he looks either to the person or in the case of a remote room, their smurf icon.

Looking to Brock, "I would say within a week. We have some loose ends to tie up at the moment and preparations... No sense in paying any rush fees to get there until we know for sure where we are going. We also need to set up a false trail to throw off the opposition."

His various icon then looks to each team member as if speaking to them individually. "Stating with North beyond mountains and rivers, in a great lake surrounded by cliffs. and then adding my research results The Lover's Heart was last spoken of in shadow and darkness, near the City of Roses. One of the mewling creatures which declared itself Prince was taking his love into a secret area. He did not name the place, but discussed it being a few hours to the south. The Lover's Heart is spoken of giving its holder everything that their heart truly desires, but is rife with consequences. Mortals have lost the art of understanding their heart, and instead see only the lies they tell themselves. I came up with either Lake Shasta or Crater Lake."

He pauses to allow a moment to mentally digest, then continues. "Hestaby lays claim to the former. I would be all in to point to that, except that she is not a he... taking his love. So that removed, I say we focus on Crater Lake. Trying to filter the plethora of Princes down to one that could fit that I came to three: First, Ni'Fairra who is believed to have a home south of Portland. Not really anything strong, but when the filtering was done, he remained. Raintree, who is a missing person of interest to the rinelle ke'tesrae and finally Piper, who died in 2068 in an automobile accident with his lover. Currently I am digging deeper into Raintree. Thoughts?"

He then tweaks the session management algorithm to insure that the smurf icons do not talk over the person where people may be talking simultaneous. He smiles. I love being the matrix wiz.
Saytr
Brock looks from the hanging house to the front door wide open and decides to walk outside to see what was so special about being outside for Uetz. Addressing the team in teamnet "well anything we need to do to prepare for the upcoming run i am willing to help out in anyway, it was made aware to me before that this would be a length run so i am ready for the long haul if need be."
Buddha72
"The description matches what I know of the artifact though there is some disagreement on its origins."

Olethros glances around and finds a chair to stand on - to perhaps get a better view of the weird miniature house on the ceiling.

"I agree - Crater Lake seems more likely. Do we know anything more about the three Princes?"
BishopMcQ
Olethros

Looking inside, the house appears to be a loft-style apartment, done on a miniature scale. A sitting room with comfortable benches is visible. There is no ladder or stairwell visibly connecting the loft. Within the space you see clothes, jewelry, and pictures all scaled down. Two items stand out as not being part of the decor--a stuffed rabbit with visible scorch marks and a missing eye, and a black lacquered puzzle box.
JxJxA
"Did you know that the wound in the Astral is still out there?" Uetz asks the question as he reenters the house, oblivious to the ongoing discussion.

"I did not, even though I walked right by it when we returned home. I was not myself at the time..." He stops himself, realizing that he is rambling.

"I am sorry. Quauhtli, my sister and spirit twin, she calls me to her. I must go. She is trapped there until she has paid the price for being beaten on our plane, or until I come to pay the debt. I cannot leave her there, it was my fault. I failed her. I need to go. I...I am sorry." He stops once more, the words pouring out of him in place of the tears he holds back.

"She beckons me, says I can reach her by passing through the wound once more. If I hold her close to my heart, I should be able to enter her plane and avoid the Huntsman. I...I must do this. She breached the veil to protect me. I would be a coward and a heel if I sat idly by while she calls me to free her."
Buddha72
Looking down from his perch on the chair, Olethros steps down and nods as Uetz speaks and makes his way to him.

"If you plan to travel through the tear then please allow me to go with you. It is a rare chance for me and I can be of use on your journey."
BishopMcQ
The Front Yard

After preparing yourselves, the questers step out upon the grass. The loud whining in your ears grows stronger as you cross the lawn. As you approach, the air ripples visibly when you get closer.

JxJxA
Looking at his new companions as they stand before the wound, Uetz tries to explain a little of what they are about to encounter.

"I know a bit about questing in the metaplanes, but not through physical gateways such as this one. Normally it is strength of will and personality that governs power in the astral, not physical prowess. However, my companions and I crossed the threshold once before out of curiosity. We did not stay long inside it, so I cannot say if that rule still holds true...

"Anyways, we should first encounter the Dweller on the Threshold. It will try to bar our passage. I must convince it to let us by. After that...I do not know. I have never visited Quauhtli's plane, nor have I asked her much about it. I can only say that if you are unfamiliar with my people's faiths, trials by fire are...to be expected..."
Saytr
Brock starts to dawn his armor not knowing weather or not it will help where they would be going "I will come and help as well i dont like the idea of losing loved ones especially if who we are going after can be of a lot of help for us." standing with Olli and Uetz he stands well over them in his armor holding his hammer with his launcher strapped to his back.
BishopMcQ
Wednesday -- July 20, 2072
Questers

Stepping through the gap, a sense of weightlessness overtakes you. Waves of vertigo wash over you as you hold still and feel like you are flying faster than light at the same time. The force of gravity comes back suddenly as you slam into a cold marble floor. Around you, is a shattered plain. Rocks jut up at odd angles and a distant cracked spire looms on the horizon.

Thousands of creatures, monstrosities your mind can barely begin to fathom are spread across the plain between you and the spire. A spider with gleaming emeralds of poison along its fangs chitters at you as it rises up. Standing the creature comes to Uetz's shoulder. As it speaks, an infant's head presses up from the spider's massive abdomen. The child has a raspy and withered voice that is not used to forming words.

"Welcome travelers. You seek that which has been lost. Face the mirror, speak aloud your secret, and be judged."

The circle between you turns reflective, shining back strange versions of each. Uetz flanked by Olethros and Brock
BishopMcQ
Wednesday -- July 20, 2072
Papa

From outside, a keening wail builds up and cuts off abruptly as your three teammates vanish. Strangely, none of the fly-spy drones seem to be recording the noise. Your search reports draw your attention back to the task at hand.

The Rinelle ke'Tesrae, literally Rebels of the Spire, have a divided history. Some sources call them a grassroots social movement to improve the quality of life for all in Tir Tairngire, other sources label them an extremist terrorist group responsible for the assassination of several Tir officials and dozens of other offenses. Following the general elections in 2065, the illicit portions of the group appear to have gone underground without any further activity. There are rumors of a splinter cell operating in Seattle, calling themselves the Forgotten. There are also unsubstantiated reports of the Rinelle operating a hidden tribunal to deal with collaborators under the old regime.

Publically, the Rinelle ke'Tesrae have made themselves into a full-blown political party, wielding power and influence in the newly restructured Tir government.

Raintree has not been on the grid since August of 2069. Her family has posted a 30,000 nuyen.gif reward for information leading to her safe return home. The node had a bounty of information including a picture, and various time advanced images depicting different possible appearances. The week before Fawn's disappearance, she was in recovery from a medical procedure implanting a cybernetic control system to combat early onset Parkinson's disease. Following the surgery, she made two calls to a disposable commcode. The night before her disappearance, she cleared out all of her accounts, a suspected 70,000 nuyen.gif in certified cred and drove north to Seattle. Housekeeping came in to clean up the next day and found the room empty, with no signs of a struggle. Lone Star found no evidence of magic used on the scene, though the hotel cameras were missing three minutes of footage on her floor.

Fawn was a known supporter of the Council of Princes. During her military service, she was trained in reconnaissance and counter-intelligence.
JxJxA
Uetz looks into the mirror, focusing his mind on Quauhtli and his desire to see his sister freed.

"You ask for secrets, and so I open my heart and mind to you. I seek to free my sister from the shackles keeping her from crossing between the planes. I view myself responsible, as I was too weak to protect her when the time called for it. I was even too weak to maintain my morals, setting aside my desire to spare life at a desperate, hate-fueled chance at revenge. And I even failed at that." He bows his head, trembling with the force of the words.

"What is worst is that as terrible as I feel now about taking those lives, a part of me is glad that I killed them. I am... I am afraid that I will do it again, lose control should my harm threaten my sister again. I am afraid that even if I indulge that...fury, I will be too weak to make it count for anything. I just... I am afraid that no matter what I do, I will always be powerless to stop that which I must stop..."
Buddha72
Olethros stands atraighter and leaves the body language of a mortal man behind like a shed skin. His face openly shows the desire for the reflected image - the raw hunger for what it offers or represents. His face becomes hard and impersonal almost like a statue - a presence fills him and his voice rings out clear and strong.

"I am Olethros and I was never human."
BishopMcQ
Questers

You can all see the horde of creatures drawing nearer across the plateau, drawn by the smell of mortal flesh. The Dweller looks down with its infantile eyes across the massive arachnid form.

"Uetzcayotl Tlaloc, born to the betrayers of your land and people, Betrayer of the Smoking Mirror and the Chimalli, Caller of the King in Yellow, you shall find sacrifice and pain. You will choose between the power to change the world as you wish to be able to, or your soul. Know that you were not called to this place by the Eagle.

"Olethros Makhai, fourth eldest, Betrayer of man, Abdicator of responsibility for the path you drew others to, you stand at cross-purposes to your kin yet again. There are two paths before you to claim what you seek, they lie in opposite directions."

The spider turns its head towards Brock, its mandibles clacking together hungrily.

"Speak mortal, unburden your secrets. You were brought here by another's power and must stay within that mantle or be lost to the Ways forever."
Buddha72
Olethros looks to Uetz with a mild veneer of concern on his face.

"if the Eagle did not bring us here, have you struck a bargain with Ruined King? This host answers to him."

He turns to the Dweller and the assembled Horrors, showing no fear or revulsion but rather familiarity and curiosity. He speaks loudly to carry over the noise of the masses - perhaps buying a little more time for Brock to answer.

"What has changed? This is not the order of things. Your kind must be called, a way must be opened for you. Why are you here?"
Saytr
Brock was astonished by the plane which he knew nothing about, it was facinating and scary at the same time. the spiders metion of Brocks secrets that needed to be brough to light brought his attention back to the task at hand looking straight at the mirror his thought immediatly went to his lost wife and child. "my soul secret in life is the lose of my wife and child that was caused by those who care not of others. the lose of my family and the revenge i want to take upon the halloweeners back in seattle are my secret plus the lifes i take in that path." Brock looks at Uetz and Olethros then back to the spider then around and the plan and grips his hammer and ensures his Grenade launcher is loaded not knowing if it would help but he was not going to let it go to waste if he didnt have to and starts to take a defensive stance as the horrors draw closer he starts to wonder exactly what he got himself into.
Redjack
As the group disappears through the rift, Papa has deep pangs of regret. Think of the footage I could get! The thoughts nearly drive him to distraction, but after several long minutes search results again begin to return and he redoubles efforts at focusing on the tasks.

Eying both the results and the accumulated data to date, Papa grimaces. Ok. Gotta be Piper... Jenna Ni'Fairra fails out for the same reason Hesteby did.He spins up another search, this time for Piper. He then considers the state of the defensive systems. Time to find out where to appropriate some supplies. He queues up a follow up search to start looking for where he can acquire the electronics equipment he needs.
JxJxA
"I am not familiar with the name, but that would explain a great many things," Uetz says through gritted teeth. Fear and anger flare up within him, and he reaches out to Quauhtli.

Hueltiuh, can you hear me? Do you know what any of this means?

He turns to the spider, and steels himself as he replies.

"Sacrifice and pain are the ways of my people. We earn our place in the worlds beyond through deeds in life or after death. If the Eagle did not call me to this place, then who did? Your master?"
BishopMcQ
Questers

"Brock English Grand, first born, kin slayer, none whom have loved you would recognize the creature of malice and hate you have become. You grasp tightly that which is gone, unaware that the harder you fight to hold their memory, the more it slips away."

The spider turns to Uetz

"I have no master here mortal, my duty as always is to stand upon the Threshold and bar passage to those unfit to enter. Though my form changes upon the lands you seek to enter, know that I am eternal and one of the few who stretch across all places. Only the Seeker can know exactly what was in his heart upon beginning the journey. In you, I sense fear, loss, and a need to claim power."

The host of terror made flesh do not respond to the calls. Quauhtli's voice stays silent as well.
BishopMcQ
Papa

The household drones surreptitiously begin moving around the house quietly cleaning once their sensors detect a lack of movement. Your coffee mug is refilled with the remnants of the pot brewed earlier, and the other mugs are cleared away. Beneath your back, the automated massagers begin their job of keeping your muscles from siezing as you lay back for the long haul of data work.

From the Tir national news feeds, Prince Dell Piper's death was ruled as an accident after his car ran off the edge of a mountain road south of Diamond Lake. The prince and his lover were found locked in a tight embrace by rescue crews, dead from the impact. Digging a little deeper, you find several pirate broadcasts with a strong conspiracy bend. Images from the road near the supposed crash site show flat, open, straight roads--not the type of place that GridGuide generally veers off a ravine and crashes. Satelite images, obviously hacked from military assets, show three clear circles punched through the windshield. The broadcast claims that Piper was assassinated by the High Prince's orders to recover an "item of national security." It continues with the fact that the unexplained incidents and military quarantine of Crater Lake began two weeks after the "accident." The pirate broadcast was shutdown with extreme prejudice six months later.

Setting the Prince aside for a few minutes while your thoughts percolate, you begin the search for more pressing needs. Online software vendors are a dime a dozen, but they come riddled with DRM restrictions. Beyond the warez clearinghouses, you find a few locations that would contain a broad collection of the software you need. Singularity, the premier programming house in LA. The Carousel Mall, a black market swapmeet with everything and anything. Global Technologies, a skillsoft and autosoft programmer. Hollywood Simsense Entertainment, a simsense and software clearinghouse.

The hardware angle comes up with a limited number of sites that carry items with the specs you are looking for. The Hahn Free Market, CalTech's computer science and optics division, Iris Firmware, and Trident Media all come up as likely candidates.
Redjack
The silence if deafening, causing the hacker's mind to wonder, briefly, over recent events. Ending at the present in that replay, he takes a moment to focus on the security footage from the patrolling drones, the home security system and the van's sensors. Satisfied that all is currently clear, he checks the incoming search results. Going from one tenuous clue to the next tenuous clue, Papa he latches onto the "item of national security" and holds that as his lifeline towards connecting the vague dots.

Meanwhile, his attention is split to the incoming results for gear. Internally, a debate rages. Is there no conscience? Do I just take everything that we need? There is little choice. Another encounter, unprepared like on the campus, will surely end with greater bloodshed. For the software, he focuses on Hollywood Simsense Entertainment. The programming houses and black market would surely take it more personal than a clearing house and bring personal resources to bear in seeking the offender. Perhaps a matrix raid would provide the software he needed... Or, worst case, a physical raid, perhaps covering his tracks with a fire.

None of the hardware locations stood out to him as a more likely candidate than any of the others. The Hahn Free Market would probably require multiple targets; a complexity he is ill prepared to handle alone. He selects CalTech's computer science and optics division for no other reason than it is next on the list... Perhaps he'll spread out the hardware just to keep any single score from being too noticeable.

Still lacking even the framework of a plan, he digs deeper down each lane. As the search frames begin to run, he realizes that he is light is connections to actually buy/sell black market gear, equipment. He decides that rather than using the Hahn Free Market as a target, he considers making some purchases from there. He first does a little looking into it to insure he is on the right track and target who to talk to.
Buddha72
"It appears you have shaped the Dweller this way yet you claim ignorance of the Horrors before us. What have you carried to this place that would call this forth?"

Olethros looks over the Dweller - a kin of sorts as he understood it.

"If your heart and soul dictate this journey then be clear on what you seek and why though it may already be too late. You may have set events in motion by crossing the threshold to here."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012