Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OOC] Eclipse Phase: A trip to Renewal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Jimson
Welcome aboard everyone. This may be old school, but would we like to do introductions? Nothing big, and we can refrain from using our real names. If not, we can just move along. smile.gif
Xahn Borealis
Is there any set posting structure? I.e actions, mesh, thoughts, speech...

Also, reposting sheet:

Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Bio (as far as he knows)
[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: Forgot to add the Morph Trait: Lemon.
Jimson
Ahh...I knew I'd forget something. How about:

Thoughts
Speech
Mesh
Actions

Thanks for pointing that out Xahn. I know the few times I played Shadowrun, we started post with where you were, time/date, PAN info, etc. For EP, I would need to go back and read up on how date/time is referenced. For now, just include where you are. I'm assuming most are already on Phelan’s Recourse. If I forget anything else, please let me know.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 30 2010, 05:09 PM) *
Actions

It seems like if actions are in italic, a lot of what we write will be in italic.

EDIT: Character Sheet

Doctor Mathew Esterly - Async Xenoarcheologist

Concept:
[ Spoiler ]

Bio:
[ Spoiler ]

Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 30 2010, 02:30 PM) *
Welcome aboard everyone. This may be old school, but would we like to do introductions? Nothing big, and we can refrain from using our real names. If not, we can just move along. smile.gif

As far as introductions, I'm game. I'm a computer programmer for a company that is doing research in AI (not as cool as it sounds), almost 30, and live in Michigan (USA). I haven't played Shadowrun in real-life since college (my RL group only plays D&D), so I most get my SR fix here on Dumpshock. This is my first taste of EP as well.
Sixgun_Sage
25, engineering student, martial artist, scifi geek.
Jimson
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 30 2010, 04:03 PM) *
It seems like if actions are in italic, a lot of what we write will be in italic.

Oh...I think I took action as meaning something else. By action, we are referring to:

"Charlie wakes up in the morning and takes a deep breath..."

If that is the case, just keep it in normal text. I did forget about your muse. Should we do that in a different color, or just keep it in blue and state the muse is speaking. Or maybe Blue and Italics for your muse.

As for me, I'll be 31 in a few days. Married and have 1 kid (3 years old), and live around St Paul/Minneapolis, MN (USA). Work in IT for a bank. As far as gaming in RL we've played a lot of D&D, and then the past 3-4 years we've been playing Shadowrun, however, we only meet at most once every other month. We were in the middle of Ghost Cartels and a buddy stepped out of the country for a year. If he doesn't come back, we'll continue on without him. For now we are back to playing D&D. I wanted to start them on Eclipse Phase, but no one was interested in learning a new system. Other than that, I enjoy all things geek, as well as a Chicago sports (Cubs, Bears, etc.) (I grew up in IL).

I'm happy to have you guys aboard for this, as now I finally get to play EP.
crizh
Bio.

I'm 37, a dad, don't game much anymore, DnD once a fortnight and drive a cab at weekends to put food on the table. I live in sunny Scotland and am basically a bit of a Homer Simpson wannabe...

Here's Rebel again.

Markov
[ Spoiler ]

Rebel
[ Spoiler ]

Stats
[ Spoiler ]
Xahn Borealis
Maybe for mesh communications we can assign ourselves colours like in the Lack and Melt? Dibs on orange.

I'm Jon, 18 years old, brilliantly british, life falling apart in a way you couldn't make up. This is the second time I've ever played an rpg. The first is In Neptune's Realm in this very forum.
BlackHat
That ended up a lot longer than I had planned. :-/

Let me know if anything doesn't match up with your view of Phelan's, or of the universe at large - I took some liberties with what might be going on, but I figure that since there are 10,000 craft in the swarm, just about anything could be.

I also didn't use the itallics, since this was more of a summary of an evening, rather than any actions the doctor was taking, presently. Hope you don't mind.
Xahn Borealis
Seems like exactly the sort of thing that would go on at Phelan's.
pragma
I'm an electrical engineering graduate student in my mid-twenties in California.

My current RL group runs D&D, but I've gotten to play RL Shadowrun on and off over the past couple of years and have participated in some really spectacular Dumpshock games. This is the first I've touched EP and I'm intenstely curious how it will work as a game -- doubly so since it wasn't on my radar in the slightest before the EP threads sprung up here.

I have a few thoughts regarding posting conventions. Most are kind of radical proposals compared to a lot of other stuff on the board, so I'm very open to debate and will, of course, defer to Jimson on the final set of posting rules. Ideas are below:
  • Can we use quotation marks for speech instead of a color? I hate fiddling with color tags and the English language already has the problem of indicating speech pretty well solved.
  • I agree with Blackhat that a separate format for actions may be overkill. I always liked reserving italics for thoughts as is the convention in many books.
  • Mesh actions definitely deserve a different color (I'd like yellow if using Xahn's suggestion), but the muse can probably be indicated by combining the speech and mesh format along with a brief introduction in the text.
Jimson
BlackHat, I'm sure you post is fine. Don't have time to read through it yet. As for posting, I think we maybe should step back from IC postings till we come up with our groups standard.

QUOTE (pragma @ Aug 1 2010, 05:26 PM) *
I'm an electrical engineering graduate student in my mid-twenties in California.

My current RL group runs D&D, but I've gotten to play RL Shadowrun on and off over the past couple of years and have participated in some really spectacular Dumpshock games. This is the first I've touched EP and I'm intenstely curious how it will work as a game -- doubly so since it wasn't on my radar in the slightest before the EP threads sprung up here.

I have a few thoughts regarding posting conventions. Most are kind of radical proposals compared to a lot of other stuff on the board, so I'm very open to debate and will, of course, defer to Jimson on the final set of posting rules. Ideas are below:
  • Can we use quotation marks for speech instead of a color? I hate fiddling with color tags and the English language already has the problem of indicating speech pretty well solved.
  • I agree with Blackhat that a separate format for actions may be overkill. I always liked reserving italics for thoughts as is the convention in many books.
  • Mesh actions definitely deserve a different color (I'd like yellow if using Xahn's suggestion), but the muse can probably be indicated by combining the speech and mesh format along with a brief introduction in the text.

I do like the separate color for talking as it makes it stand out more, but I do get what you are saying about finding the color and such. It can be frustrating finding the right shade of blue (or whatever color it may be). Whatever is easier for you guys, I'm game.

Also, thanks for the introduction guys. Its good to know a little bit about who you are gaming with. Again, thanks for the enthusiasm for EP. I really hope I don't let you guys down.
pragma
QUOTE (Jimson @ Aug 1 2010, 10:36 PM) *
I do like the separate color for talking as it makes it stand out more, but I do get what you are saying about finding the color and such. It can be frustrating finding the right shade of blue (or whatever color it may be). Whatever is easier for you guys, I'm game.

Also, thanks for the introduction guys. Its good to know a little bit about who you are gaming with. Again, thanks for the enthusiasm for EP. I really hope I don't let you guys down.

If you like the separate speech color then do it, though I feel that speech doesn't necessarily need to pop out of the post (which is really the purpose of formatting). But the more important point is that, however much I have opinions on posting formats, I'm much more interested in spending posting cycles in character rather than working on how posts should look; my recommendation is that you give us at most a day to bicker about the posting details, then make a binding decision and get the game rolling in whatever direction you want.

By the way, don't worry about letting us down -- we wouldn't be playing if you hadn't stepped up to bat and having a game is much less disappointing than not having one.
Xahn Borealis
Let's just keep it simple. Actions are formatted normally, speech is in speech marks, thoughts in italics, including muse conversations, and mesh messages are (as stolen from Melt and Lack) [bracketted] and coloured. That's how I'll be posting, anyway.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Aug 2 2010, 04:47 AM) *
Let's just keep it simple. Actions are formatted normally, speech is in speech marks, thoughts in italics, including muse conversations, and mesh messages are (as stolen from Melt and Lack) [bracketted] and coloured. That's how I'll be posting, anyway.

I like that, particularly the idea that, when in doubt, we can look to Lack for inspiration. smile.gif

I would point out that any conversation or message from your muse, is really a mesh action, though (the muse runs on your mesh inserts). In Lack, the muse talks in [brackets] that are light-blue (a different color than Sava's). Interestingly enough, its not symmetrical, as Sava talks to her muse in italics (same as thoughts).
crizh
All I've got to worry about is how to format four different personalities all thinking in the same skull at the same time....

... and a Muse and a Ghostrider and a Multi-tasking implant.....
Jimson
QUOTE (crizh @ Aug 2 2010, 07:33 AM) *
All I've got to worry about is how to format four different personalities all thinking in the same skull at the same time....

... and a Muse and a Ghostrider and a Multi-tasking implant.....

Ha! Good luck with all that. smile.gif The IC post are looking great. The formating is also good. I'm sure its a lot easier to post, without digging through and trying to find the right color.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 2 2010, 01:01 PM) *
as Sava talks to her muse in italics (same as thoughts).

That's what I was implying, I thought that any thought you have can also be directed to your muse as conversation.
Xahn Borealis
I have a question requiring a GM ruling. Do synthmorphs need to sleep?
BlackHat
That reminds me, I had a DM question too. Dr. Esterly bought a Quantum computer. How big/portable is that? Laptop? Desktop? Mainframe?
Obviously, ideally, its a powerful laptop that is bigger than (and more capable than) mesh inserts, but I don't plan to use it enough that I would mind if Jimson wants it to be a closet-sized mainframe I leave back home.
Jimson
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Aug 3 2010, 11:25 AM) *
I have a question requiring a GM ruling. Do synthmorphs need to sleep?

Nope, they do not.

EP Core Book, p.143

"All synthmorphs have the following advantages:
- Lack of Biological Functions. Synthmorphs need
not be bothered with trivialities like breathing,
eating, defecating, aging, sleeping, or any similar
minor but crucial aspects of biological life."

I find it funny they specifically mention defecating.

QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 3 2010, 12:09 PM) *
That reminds me, I had a DM question too. Dr. Esterly bought a Quantum computer. How big/portable is that? Laptop? Desktop? Mainframe?
Obviously, ideally, its a powerful laptop that is bigger than (and more capable than) mesh inserts, but I don't plan to use it enough that I would mind if Jimson wants it to be a closet-sized mainframe I leave back home.

I think it would fall in the Medium category, but I'm open to any disagreements to this.

EP Core Book, p.297
Medium
Medium size items are cumbersome to hold
with one hand, ranging from the size of a 2-liter
bottle to the size of a medium dog. They do
not fi t in pockets, but they may be concealed
by larger coverings.

For some reason, this was the first thing that came into my mind when you were asking about how big a Quantum computer, and if it is portable: http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html
rotate.gif
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Jimson @ Aug 3 2010, 09:15 PM) *
For some reason, this was the first thing that came into my mind when you were asking about how big a Quantum computer, and if it is portable: http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html
rotate.gif

That's fucking gorgeous. Thanks for putting on your GM hat, I'm still gonna have him 'wake up', or at least pretend to. He's pretty eccentric, as you'll find out... biggrin.gif
Sixgun_Sage
Was wondering if it would be cool for Murphy to be on the same habitt as Jack Three, Xahn, I just can't help but think interactions between the two will be entertaining.
Xahn Borealis
Well, sure, it's up to you, surely? Besides, what he's doing will probably end up on the local mesh soon enough.
Jimson
Xahn, you can roll your own d100 for your dance and old earth culture. You can use http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/ for any of your rolls, unless you really want me to roll it for you.
Xahn Borealis
I was just posting in case you thought there were any modifiers.
Jimson
Ahh...good point. No, there are no modifiers for your two rolls.
Xahn Borealis
Roll link.
Succeeded the Music test.
Failed the dance test.
Jimson
I looked at DDR's, and technically I do not think you would need to roll the Dance check with using the DDR:
p. 323 "Different software variants invoke different motions and styles."
So the DDR software you purchased would have "the robot" already programed. Your old earth culture roll will tell you what DDR to choose for to do "the robot". For example, you might have a Break Dance DDR, or a Ball Room Dancing DDR. smile.gif

Here's where my lack of PbP GMing kicks in...do you want me to write up the response of the crowd to your dancing, or let you make it up.

[EDIT: I was thinking, since it was more character flavor, and less plot related, I would let you have free reign on your dancing and crowd reactions.]

On a side note, you can actually roll a d100 using invisiblecastle.com, instead of 2d10s. It would probably be a little less confusing.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Jimson @ Aug 5 2010, 07:10 PM) *
I looked at DDR's, and technically I do not think you would need to roll the Dance check with using the DDR:
p. 323 "Different software variants invoke different motions and styles."
So the DDR software you purchased would have "the robot" already programed. Your old earth culture roll will tell you what DDR to choose for to do "the robot". For example, you might have a Break Dance DDR, or a Ball Room Dancing DDR. smile.gif

Here's where my lack of PbP GMing kicks in...do you want me to write up the response of the crowd to your dancing, or let you make it up.

[EDIT: I was thinking, since it was more character flavor, and less plot related, I would let you have free reign on your dancing and crowd reactions.]

Oooh, thanks, just as well as I failed the dance roll. I was hoping with the old earth culture roll, that you would decide on a good song for Jack to dance to. Just something that would suit the dance style. I'll write up the crowd response, as I'm not quite finished with the routine.

What I'm trying to do here is use my Art skill as a source of Rep, as in a post-scarcity economy, people appreciate original entertainment more. You'll see in my next post.
Jimson
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Aug 5 2010, 01:20 PM) *
Oooh, thanks, just as well as I failed the dance roll. I was hoping with the old earth culture roll, that you would decide on a good song for Jack to dance to. Just something that would suit the dance style. I'll write up the crowd response, as I'm not quite finished with the routine.

What I'm trying to do here is use my Art skill as a source of Rep, as in a post-scarcity economy, people appreciate original entertainment more. You'll see in my next post.

No problem finding an appropriate song with your roll. As far as using your Art in the new economy, it would need to be free-style with no DDR. DDR is pre-programmed steps. But I think if you free-styled and recorded your own DDR, then I think it would apply.

Can't wait to read your next post.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Jimson @ Aug 5 2010, 09:12 PM) *
No problem finding an appropriate song with your roll.

Well? What is it? biggrin.gif
Jimson
Sorry, thought you had something in mind. In you search of old earth culture, Jack and/or his muse come across a song from 1983 by a old earth group called The Styx. The song title...Mr. Roboto. smile.gif
Sixgun_Sage
And I am showing a bit of Murphy's nasty side apparently...
Xahn Borealis
Aren't you just. I don't think the crowd's gonna like that...
Sixgun_Sage
Hey, you could always switch to a more appropo Carl Douglas song from the 70's...

Sixgun_Sage
Sorry if I came off heavy handed, more or less setting up for the sort of rivalry that will come from them having to work together Xahn, and yes, Murphy has a positively bloody minded streak from growing up on Fresh Kills.
Jimson
QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Aug 6 2010, 12:24 PM) *
Sorry if I came off heavy handed, more or less setting up for the sort of rivalry that will come from them having to work together Xahn, and yes, Murphy has a positively bloody minded streak from growing up on Fresh Kills.

That's ok. Nothing wrong with a little rivelry, but I was kind of confused by Murphy's actions based on his personality you posted before. Perhaps it changed as you developed the character more.

[ Spoiler ]
Sixgun_Sage
Yeah, guess I should have waited to actually relax from work to post, let more than a bit of my bad mood bleed through, I'll bring it more back into line with character design shortly, once again, my apologies.
Xahn Borealis
Hey, don't apologise to me! Three's gonna be pissed.

[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
Poor robot beggars are always getting shoved around by big bully meat-bags. wink.gif This scene could go about a hundred different ways - most of them, hilarious.

Jimson, would you prefer if we continue our various IC vignettes, and see where things go? Or were you planning to have Firewall call and round us all up soon, anyway (in which case, I won't start anything new). I can roll with either plan.
Xahn Borealis
This is an outrage. This event will now take pride of place in my sig. And who you calling a beggar, BlackHat?
Jimson
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 6 2010, 03:41 PM) *
Poor robot beggars are always getting shoved around by big bully meat-bags. wink.gif This scene could go about a hundred different ways - most of them, hilarious.

Jimson, would you prefer if we continue our various IC vignettes, and see where things go? Or were you planning to have Firewall call and round us all up soon, anyway (in which case, I won't start anything new). I can roll with either plan.

You guys can continue with your IC vignettes for a little while. If you feel you've done you character justice, then we'll see how the dancing ends, and then we'll move on with Firewall.
Sixgun_Sage
I do still think I owe a reason, had to wait overnight for a shipment that never even arrived, the side affect is that I went off my insomnia meds which is.... not fun.
Xahn Borealis
I really don't mind! It would've just been corny if you joined in proper.
Sixgun_Sage
Well there is that, yes...
Jimson
No worries sixgun.

As for Xahn/Jack, let's roll up that Lemon trait. biggrin.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jimson @ Aug 6 2010, 10:12 PM) *
No worries sixgun.

As for Xahn/Jack, let's roll up that Lemon trait. biggrin.gif

And a (defaulting?) Fray test to dodge the shove?
Jimson
Wow! Still not used to PbP GMing. All, please be patient with me. Thanks for pointing that out BlackHat.

Xahn, please roll me a Fray and a -10 for being distracted (dancing). After that, regardless of the hit, roll me your Lemon trait.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012