Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adepts and Ordeals
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Siege
Ordeal -- all night jam session, squeezing out the last bit of blood, sweat and pain in his axe.

Geas -- must sing and/or air guitar when casting spells.

-Siege
John Campbell
Geas: Must be excellent to each other.
Siege
QUOTE (John Campbell)
Geas: Must be excellent to each other.

Pool on how many times the mage can say "dude" before getting geeked in a hail of small arms fire.

-Siege
Abstruse
Or "Woah!"

Centering of playing guitar or singing is always popular as well. Geas of "Must have practiced guitar for at least 3 hours in the last 24" or something like that. *shrugs*

The Abstruse One
toturi
Succeed on a English "Dude" check TN 4 in the last 24 hours.
simonw2000
Here are the ideas I like so far:
  • Geas - must sing and/or play guitar when casting spells
  • Centering of playing guitar or singing is always popular as well
  • Geas of "Must have practiced guitar for at least 3 hours in the last 24"
  • Sheet music would make great spell formulae and an excellent thesis (And gives me a great idea for a run! biggrin.gif )
  • Playing at clubs would make an excellent Night Job Flaw (Like a Day Job, but at night!)
Anything else? What could be put into a magician-rocker's lifestyle? I think that a trid subscription ought to make sense. (So many music channels!) And I'm trying to see what parts of Sprawl Survival Guide I can put in.
Abstruse
Oh...this guy's going to be a ROCKER/Mage...I thought he was just going to be a Mage that played guitar...in THAT case, you shoot him in the head repeatedly. I HATE rockers. HATE HATE HATE. Hated them in 1st Ed. and the best decision FASA made in 2nd Ed was getting rid of them. You want to run the shadows, it's best not to have your face plastered on flyers on telephone poles all over the city.

The Abstruse One
Kagetenshi
But once you get good enough, the rules in Shadowbeat mean you no longer have to go on runs!

~J
simonw2000
I don't have Shadowbeat! biggrin.gif
Drain Brain
I'll sell you mine - for eighty quid... lick.gif
simonw2000
QUOTE (Abstruse)
Oh...this guy's going to be a ROCKER/Mage...I thought he was just going to be a Mage that played guitar...in THAT case, you shoot him in the head repeatedly. I HATE rockers. HATE HATE HATE. Hated them in 1st Ed. and the best decision FASA made in 2nd Ed was getting rid of them. You want to run the shadows, it's best not to have your face plastered on flyers on telephone poles all over the city.

I'll just get him to take the Dark Secret flaw. nyahnyah.gif
simonw2000
I'll sell you mine - for eighty quid...

YEAH RIGHT! nyahnyah.gif
Drain Brain
QUOTE (simonw2000 @ Mar 8 2004, 11:09 AM)
I'll sell you mine - for eighty quid...

YEAH RIGHT! nyahnyah.gif

wink.gif
DV8
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
QUOTE (DV8 @ Mar 5 2004, 03:57 PM)
(changed a bit though)

Hermetic
"Yeah, today I'm studying - the Elders of my order have suggested that I initiate myself to third grade, depending on if I can hack it or not - they are dubious as to whether or not I am experienced enough.  I'm going to be in deep meditation whilst I ruminate on that matter. So yeah, that's gonna take me some time. Sorry to skip out on you like that, Fix. What? What metamagical technique will I choose? Oh, I was thinking about learning Psychometry because that's a totally cool metamagical technique that I can use to pick up aura traces off inanimate objects - it'll come in handy when next you have me running for you..."

Shamanic
"Yeah, today think I'll be waaaay too busy - I feel the need to commune with Cat.  She's being all precious about how much time I spend with her - and she's promised to open up the gates of power for me - but only if I'm a good kitten... go figure.  Basically, I gotta trip out to the 'planes and toss her wool-ball for her for a few hours, but that means I'll be out of it for a while.  It will put me in her good books though, and she might teach me a song or two...  What? What metamagical technique will I choose? You been slinging in with the Mage boys again?  Get real, puss, it's all about the music - and today's hymn is "Psychometry."  It's a wizzer little tune that balances my aura out to all the nuances in the not-living as well as the living - lets me see the auras of those gone hence in whatever they've dealt with.  So I'll finally be able to work out who's been using my hairbrush to shine their boots..."

Fixed: Hermetic and Shamanic. There's no problems here if your players have enough imagination.

Hah. There's no problems here if your GM doesn't have enough imagination. This would be totally unacceptable in my game. It takes the magic out of magic.
Fortune
Really Deev? I'm surprised by this view.

Magician's do have to be able to communicate their ideas, both amongst themselves and to the average mundane. In order to do this a standardized vocabulary has to be created. I see no reason why the concepts of Ordeals and Initiation should not borrow from already established words that mean precisely that.

How do the awakened communicate these concepts in your game?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Fortune)
How do the awakened communicate these concepts in your game?

Based on his comments, they must sound astoundingly like a pair of stoned, drunk, and illiterate teenagers attempting to describe what a cloud looks like.

"It was like woah and knda not at all square."

Seriously, you can't have a college of magical theory (like in MIT&T) if there aren't any common terms for phenomena. If your complaint is that the terms used IC should be completely different than the terms used OOC, then what should be the IC term for an Ares Predator? Because obviously that name is OOC and using that name IC is metagaming.
simonw2000
QUOTE (Abstruse)
I don't even think a Shaman would call it Psychometry. He/She'd probably call it "Cat's Eye on the Past" or something like that.

Makes sense. smile.gif
Drain Brain
QUOTE (DV8)
Hah. There's no problems here if your GM doesn't have enough imagination. This would be totally unacceptable in my game. It takes the magic out of magic.

Fair enough, chief - I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It's all about how you view the genre, I guess. Not exactly a house rule but a house interpretation.

And I AM the GM frown.gif - fat too often. Always, in fact. Boohoo.
simonw2000
Ask ten of the Awakened how they view magic, and you'll get thirteen answers.

How true. biggrin.gif
Drain Brain
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
And I AM the GM frown.gif - fat too often. Always, in fact. Boohoo.

Amusing... I did of course mean FAR too often. Although I am too fat, too often, too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012