Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Karma
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mfb
no doubt. they're too unpredictable; everything else in SR is a scaling progression of risk--and then along comes an open test, where everything's up in the air.
Moonstone Spider
Yeah, I recall a player who rolled a 27 on his stealth test (Only have 4 die too, amazing). Just to mock the system his character stripped naked, painted himself neon green, and did cartwheels in front of a group of corporate security guards, none of which (of course) noticed a thing.

That only worked because our GM was a stickler for the rules, of course.
Digital Heroin
And what you describe isn't stealth in the least, so high roll or not, he'd have been seen, and in one of my games he would have been made into convinient matchbook sized chunklets...
toturi
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
And what you describe isn't stealth in the least, so high roll or not, he'd have been seen, and in one of my games he would have been made into convinient matchbook sized chunklets...

Well, using GM discretion throws the rules right out of the window. I would on the other hand rule that because he changed certain conditions, both he and the guards get to make a new roll.
mfb
indeed. you make the stealth test after you tell the GM how you're going to go about being sneaky.
Moonstone Spider
As I said, the GM was a stickler for the rules. Of course anybody who did that would recieve instant death, but not according to the rules of the Open test. Nor does it say you make the stealth test after you tell the GM how you're going to sneak, it says:

"When sneaking or hiding, a character should make an open test to determine how well he or she pulls it off. The highest number rolled becomes the TN for perception tests by anyone who might conceivably notice them."

So the Rules Lawyer GM hit him with the action very obvious modifier and the guards had a TN of only 23.
Lantzer
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider @ Mar 16 2004, 08:50 AM)
As I said, the GM was a stickler for the rules.  Of course anybody who did that would recieve instant death, but not according to the rules of the Open test.  Nor does it say you make the stealth test after you tell the GM how you're going to sneak, it says:

"When sneaking or hiding, a character should make an open test to determine how well he or she pulls it off.  The highest number rolled becomes the TN for perception tests by anyone who might conceivably notice them."

So the Rules Lawyer GM hit him with the action very obvious modifier and the guards had a TN of only 23.

Eh? But Rules Lawyer GM forgot the part of the rules that say,

"When sneaking or hiding"

Doing cartwheels in front of guards is _not_ sneaking or hiding, so the stealth test doesn't even come up.

You don't need modifiers - he isn't sneaking at all.

EDIT: Removed comment that wasn't really neccesary.
BitBasher
Of course anybody who did that would recieve instant death, but not according to the rules of the Open test. Nor does it say you make the stealth test after you tell the GM how you're going to sneak, it says:

It doesn't say you can't sneak while firing fully automatic unsilenced weapons, because ALL RULES need to be set up with common sense. There are an infinite number of things the rules do not cover, which it makes for the utterly retarded actions listed above.

The ruels dont say characters have to go to the bathroom or eat, does that mean noone eats or takes a dump?

The rules dont say its socially unacceptable to go around naked, so that must be okay?

The rules dont list the TN for tactical themonuclear weapons, so everyone must have one?

The rules dont say a lot of things, which is no justification for being a moron.
gknoy
I think the point was that the GM in question was being the silly one, and the PC in question did this (normally stupid) thing for the sole purpose of mocking the GM's excessively strict adherence to the letter of the rules.

Imagine the naked, green character's surprise when the local guard, tired of not having had a promotion in 2 years, decides to burn all HIS karma pool on rerolling perception dice, and says, "Hey, look, a naked, green man!" ;D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012