Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM Horror stories
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Daylen
Since someone thought it a good idea I thought I'd start a thread with mine.

Once played in a campaign where every NPC character was beyond epic in proportion. As an example of what happened to characters: once a fellow player got tired of trying to pick the pockets of the players (we didn't have anything in our pockets for we were kept poor and carried our weapons in hand at all times) and tired of attempting to pick the pockets of story line NPCs (they always saw and grabbed his hand before he could find or grab anything even though it went against RAW) so he picked the pocket of a random npc. He succeeds! and gets 1 gold. The NPC noticed however and then beats the PC until he passes out and now he has to go the rest of the session at 1 HP since we had no healer.
nemafow
Is this a Shadowrun session?
Mooncrow
edit :Maybe in the General Gaming section?

Daylen
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Aug 26 2010, 02:26 AM) *
He was quite upset that everyone else voted to have me GM the next week nyahnyah.gif

They usually are.
Platinum
I used to play with a friend of mine, that was so competitive, he would always have regular security fight to the death with their apds assault rifles, and sniper overwatch.

Another friend would have great storylines, but was the railroad engineer from HE77. Everything was great if you did things the way that he wanted you to. If you deviated from the plot, you were most likely going to die.
Doc Chase
I had to burn my Edge to Hand-of-God survive when the team crashed his van while he was in the back at 7P. They were going fast enough and the driver didn't have the dicepool to know better, so I had to resist something stupid like 16P. I did well enough to get to -9 (ha ha, well) and I said I was going to Hand of God it.

The GM said "Okay, no problem. Give me your sheet." He had a bunch of changes done, including forcible Initiation via the Big Bad's direction, added cyberware to a magic character, and so on, and added what amounted to a geas to betray the team at a later date. It was no longer my character, just a plot device.

Burned my Edge to survive and ended up losing the character anyway. Shoulda just torn the sheet up and been done with it. nyahnyah.gif
Johnny B. Good
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 26 2010, 02:22 PM) *
I had to burn my Edge to Hand-of-God survive when the team crashed his van while he was in the back at 7P. They were going fast enough and the driver didn't have the dicepool to know better, so I had to resist something stupid like 16P. I did well enough to get to -9 (ha ha, well) and I said I was going to Hand of God it.

The GM said "Okay, no problem. Give me your sheet." He had a bunch of changes done, including forcible Initiation via the Big Bad's direction, added cyberware to a magic character, and so on, and added what amounted to a geas to betray the team at a later date. It was no longer my character, just a plot device.

Burned my Edge to survive and ended up losing the character anyway. Shoulda just torn the sheet up and been done with it. nyahnyah.gif

Since when does a GM get to make your character a different person when you burn edge?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Johnny B. Good @ Aug 26 2010, 01:27 PM) *
Since when does a GM get to make your character a different person when you burn edge?

Since I was the only one to actually die. I wasn't too happy with the changes, and the roleplay changed a lot as a result. Played out a Severe alcohol addiction, got more than a little misanthropic and finally ended up leaving the game and plotting out the kidnap of three of the team so they'd suffer the same fate (that whole geas thing). One metagamed his way out of it and he and one other bolted, but the third was in the trap with an NPC.

Seeing as that one got nailed by a psychotropic IC that electro-geased a betrayal of the party on that end, we felt that perhaps this group wasn't spectacular. nyahnyah.gif
sabs
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 26 2010, 01:32 PM) *
Since I was the only one to actually die. I wasn't too happy with the changes, and the roleplay changed a lot as a result. Played out a Severe alcohol addiction, got more than a little misanthropic and finally ended up leaving the game and plotting out the kidnap of three of the team so they'd suffer the same fate (that whole geas thing). One metagamed his way out of it and he and one other bolted, but the third was in the trap with an NPC.

Seeing as that one got nailed by a psychotropic IC that electro-geased a betrayal of the party on that end, we felt that perhaps this group wasn't spectacular. nyahnyah.gif

Sounds like a bad GM.

Although to be fair.. I was once running an Earthdawn game, where all the players complained that I was too nice, and I'd never kill any of their characters.

About a month after they said that, I killed 1/2 the party. including 1 Obsidiman character that I literally disintegrated. I still feel bad about that.. poor guy loved that character, and he'd never complained about my GM style.

Mooncrow
Copying over from the other thread, with more detail^^ Sadly(?) I don't have any SR horror stories, since I've always been the GM until very recently, though I suppose my players may... but this one is too good not to share:

To start off with, we had asked the GM for a lower powered campaign; we wanted to be a nameless wandering band for a while.

Within 10 minutes of starting we stumbled across the Legendary Lost Armory of Somethingorother, where the necromancer found a staff that automatically summoned up a Legendary Death Knight Warrior, my elf ranger found a gourd of sentient sand that made me invulnerable and also automatically attacked my enemies for me, the barbarian had some axe whose former owner possessed the bearer, granting incredible strength and stamina, but losing control of himself, etc.

From then on, the GM basically played our characters - the way out had been blocked by falling stone, and there was only one way forward. So, the rest of the night we got to listen as he told us how our awesome gear was slaying armies, and eventually gods, and every 5 minutes we got to roll a d20...

To be fair, he was an interesting storyteller; it was basically like a 4 hour long Final Fantasy cutscene, and when my character was done absorbing the essence of some god and taking his place, I was done. So, I stood up to go, and he tells me that the real adventure had just started, and this was just the gearing up portion so that we could survive the combat to come...

He was quite upset that everyone else voted to have me GM the next week nyahnyah.gif
Doc Chase
Sounds like a Time of Troubles game I played in where I started as a CG Sorceror and ended up being a Werewolf CE Air Force Marshal that commanded a legion of dracoliches.

I just wanted to go slay the ogre, man!
TommyTwoToes
We have a GM that suffers from narcosleepy and he sometimes looses conciousness during sessions.
deek
My friend's brother (had to of only been 13 or 14 at the time) was in love with his beast master's pet sabre tooth tiger (DnD 2e). The DM hated the concept (and this was before any of us really OK'd characters before playing), mainly due to the campaign was going into the Temple of Elemental Evil and he didn't think the pet fit the campaign. He tried to tell the player this fact, but he was stuck on the concept.

Anyways, the group caused some trouble in the village, so they got tossed in jail. I can't remember if everyone else escaped or were fined or what, but the beast master didn't and was put in a cage with his pet (Thunderdome-style). The player said that he would not attack his pet. The DM grabbed the tiger's stats and began attacking the player. The player reluctantly fought back and killed his pet and was noticeably depressed the rest of the session. Most everyone else, including his older brother, thought it was funny.

I don't think the campaign lasted much longer than a couple more sessions. It was a big group and scheduling high schoolers during summer vacation proved insurmountable.

To David (who played the beastmaster), I'm sorry. That must have been a horrible experience. I certainly learned to be a good GM by doing the wrong shit as a young GM.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Aug 26 2010, 03:37 PM) *
We have a GM that suffers from narcosleepy and he sometimes looses conciousness during sessions.

Ah, a commercial break right at the climax of the scene.
tete
I let a guy play a Shapeshifter Shaman *face palm* even though he was behind in karma he was more powerful at everything than the 50+ karma other players. The most over the top character that group had prior was a Troll Street Sam.
Kincaid
Monofilament garotte, used by a player who had only ever played DnD previously. Yeah, I was much more careful about examining character sheets after that. Sadly, in that one session he managed to go on a (really bloody) killing spree in a hotel and its parking garage, making things tricky for the rest of the availability 8 characters.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 26 2010, 07:22 AM) *

I'd like to point out that in this specific instance, Burning an edge to Critically Succeed on your soak test would have been a better option, since its NOT a hand of god.

Then again, HoG does grant you some measure of continued survivability beyond one test.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Aug 26 2010, 08:41 PM) *
I'd like to point out that in this specific instance, Burning an edge to Critically Succeed on your soak test would have been a better option, since its NOT a hand of god.

Then again, HoG does grant you some measure of continued survivability beyond one test.

I have the feeling it wouldn't have mattered. The reason for the crash, the Big Bad (a cyborg body tank with a Force 8 posessed spirit providing the battery power/ITNW) was there to continue the fight if we continued running. Me HoGging let the rest of the team escape as he had something to occupy him.
jaellot
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 26 2010, 04:10 PM) *
I have the feeling it wouldn't have mattered. The reason for the crash, the Big Bad (a cyborg body tank with a Force 8 posessed spirit providing the battery power/ITNW) was there to continue the fight if we continued running. Me HoGging let the rest of the team escape as he had something to occupy him.

So the GM crapped his diaper of you spoiling his plot it seems?

I also generally GM, though I have I do have this in particular...

Years ago we were playing SR 2nd. Ed. and the GM (a buddy of ours then) had us swiping dragon eggs. Doesn't really matter what the run was since about 45 minutes into he revs up his Playstation and hands out nuyen and karma. Not much of a story, not much of a game though.
Neraph
My first GM had a bad habit of overkilling us and then having us "jack out" of a simulator machine at the end of the session after everyone was upset they had been smeared so hard. He also used to give out free True Ressurrections in that Other Game when we died to our opponents that were 10+ CR above what we should have been facing.

For example, I was playing a mage that was providing spell support while astral (this was before we knew that Manifesting does not equal Materializing) and our team was being held up in a sewer tunnel by a cyborg. So I goes astral, right, to go take care of it with Powerbolts. I assense it, it turns up all bleh like it's a drone. So as I materialize to shoot it dead, it pulls out a Combat Axe Weapon Focus and shears me in half.

His story? The cyborg was a cyberzombie. The truth? My old GM gets rules confused (read: never looks at rules and has them work like he thinks they do) all the time.
Voran
One time, during a game, there was no mountain dew.
Glyph
QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 26 2010, 11:20 PM) *
One time, during a game, there was no mountain dew.

There are worse things than no mountain dew - indeed, some games might put you off of mountain dew forever.
Doc Chaos
QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 27 2010, 08:28 AM) *
There are worse things than no mountain dew - indeed, some games might put you off of mountain dew forever.

Prophecy have mercy on my soul... or, in other words, WHAT THE FRAG?????
toturi
QUOTE (Doc Chaos @ Aug 27 2010, 03:01 PM) *
Prophecy have mercy on my soul... or, in other words, WHAT THE FRAG?????

Mmmm, Mountain Dew... wobble.gif
WyldKnight
Once I was to lazy to get up and go to the bathroom so I just pissed in a bottle and forgot about it. It was not my proudest moment, thankfully it was at a friends house and I left before I remembered it. I will never forget that phone call..."Hello?" "You son of *insert trail of expletives*" You know your good friends when you can past something like that. In my defense I was half asleep and didn't even remember doing it until he told me about it.
Tiny Deev
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Aug 26 2010, 02:12 PM) *
my elf ranger found a gourd of sentient sand that made me invulnerable and also automatically attacked my enemies for me

Reminds me of Naruto. Kid called Gaara of the Sands had that.
Lansdren
QUOTE (Tiny Deev @ Aug 27 2010, 11:23 AM) *

I think you can pretty much put that one down to a stolen idea but still not a bad one. come to think of it a rpg in the naruto universe wouldnt be to bad
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Tiny Deev @ Aug 27 2010, 05:23 AM) *

Yep, he had watched the Chuunin Exam Arc the week before nyahnyah.gif
Tiny Deev
I always thought Gaara was awesome, but more as a bad guy. I would never give a player that. hmm, would be a cool Big Bad..
Neraph
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Aug 27 2010, 05:01 AM) *
come to think of it a rpg in the naruto universe wouldnt be to bad

Yes. Yes it would.
WyldKnight
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 27 2010, 07:47 AM) *
Yes. Yes it would.

Believe it? (Annoying main characters catch phrase)

I am sorry but no ninja should be wearing a BRIGHT orange jumpsuit. That is anti stealth, in fact it sucks the stealth away from everyone around you.

Oh, I completely forgot about this story. It's not that big of a horror story but I have had some decent GMs so I don't have many. I was in a DnD game and was the groups healer (like I almost always am) but had to miss a session due to not having a way to make it to the game. When I come back next week I find out my character was killed, raised as an undead priest and killed again by the group. You can imagine my wtf response. My GM said to make a new character but for the sake of speed I could just use my old one with a new name. Annoyed at this occurrence (they could have not left my character by himself in a hostile dungeon) I decided to tweak my cleric a bit and instead of him being a kind healer I made him a cliched greedy priest because this group had a nasty habit of killing all the churches holy men or more appropriately allowing them to die and they thought why send the good ones with them. So when time came and someone needed heals there was an appropriate charge. I kept this up until the fighter tried to threaten me into healing him and I did the complete opposite and nuked him. Needless to say they stopped killing my priests after that.

I forgot one detail, this wasn't the first time. In fact it's become a running gag in my group that my healers (only my healers, all other characters are ok) get killed off when I am not around to the point that at the end of every adventure they will be killed regardless of what happens but another priest will take their place next week with the same gear, stats, etc. kind of like Kenny from South Park. I am the red shit. Ironically I actually named a character Rodney Redshirt and not only did he survive to the end of the campaign but in the final fight against the BBEG he was the only survivor and had to return everyones bodies to their respective homelands. This was a semi low magic campaign where stuff like resurrection was only available through true divine intervention and not a friendly rich cleric.
Neraph
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 27 2010, 10:03 AM) *
Believe it? (Annoying main characters catch phrase)

I thought about editing that in, but I figured someone else would pick up my slack.

QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 27 2010, 10:03 AM) *
I am sorry but no ninja should be wearing a BRIGHT orange jumpsuit. That is anti stealth, in fact it sucks the stealth away from everyone around you.

Oh, I completely forgot about this story. It's not that big of a horror story but I have had some decent GMs so I don't have many. I was in a DnD game and was the groups healer (like I almost always am) but had to miss a session due to not having a way to make it to the game. When I come back next week I find out my character was killed, raised as an undead priest and killed again by the group. You can imagine my wtf response. My GM said to make a new character but for the sake of speed I could just use my old one with a new name. Annoyed at this occurrence (they could have not left my character by himself in a hostile dungeon) I decided to tweak my cleric a bit and instead of him being a kind healer I made him a cliched greedy priest because this group had a nasty habit of killing all the churches holy men or more appropriately allowing them to die and they thought why send the good ones with them. So when time came and someone needed heals there was an appropriate charge. I kept this up until the fighter tried to threaten me into healing him and I did the complete opposite and nuked him. Needless to say they stopped killing my priests after that.

I forgot one detail, this wasn't the first time. In fact it's become a running gag in my group that my healers (only my healers, all other characters are ok) get killed off when I am not around to the point that at the end of every adventure they will be killed regardless of what happens but another priest will take their place next week with the same gear, stats, etc. kind of like Kenny from South Park. I am the red shit. Ironically I actually named a character Rodney Redshirt and not only did he survive to the end of the campaign but in the final fight against the BBEG he was the only survivor and had to return everyones bodies to their respective homelands. This was a semi low magic campaign where stuff like resurrection was only available through true divine intervention and not a friendly rich cleric.

Nice. Kind of like asking if they'll accept the spell and then casting "Peaceful Death" or whatever it was called.

I once was in a game with two Tomb-Tainted Death Masters (from Heroes of Horror...). I played the druid patch-healer and they didn't tell me what was going on. One of them dropped from damage, so I moved in to heal him, knowing OOC what he had IC, and luckily rolled very minimal, dropping him to -8 or -9 hp with my Cure spell. After a bit of fast thinking the next round I cast Bull's Endurance on him to give him the temporary HP to heal himself back up with his negative energy touch attack thing.
WyldKnight
The one thing I still like about DnD is the fluff that goes with some of the classes and the settings, I've even remade a few classes in SR with some GM help to create rare metamagics that I had to go on missions for or new martial arts. One thing I endorse is the DnD Planar Handbook. It's great for when you want ideas for the metaplanes and even a few areas for your Submerging Technomancers. A good purchase in my opinion for when your not sure what you want the metaplanes to be like.
DireRadiant
I'm a GM and I got some real Horror stories.

Once there was this player....

oh wait...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 27 2010, 03:22 AM) *
Once I was to lazy to get up and go to the bathroom so I just pissed in a bottle and forgot about it. It was not my proudest moment, thankfully it was at a friends house and I left before I remembered it. I will never forget that phone call..."Hello?" "You son of *insert trail of expletives*" You know your good friends when you can past something like that. In my defense I was half asleep and didn't even remember doing it until he told me about it.

This one made my day, leaving a potentially humiliating bottle of urine at someone's house.
deek
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Aug 27 2010, 03:07 PM) *
I'm a GM and I got some real Horror stories.

Once there was this player....

oh wait...

wobble.gif
WyldKnight
I'm just glad his mom didn't find it, that would have been an awkward explanation.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 27 2010, 03:26 PM) *
I'm just glad his mom didn't find it, that would have been an awkward explanation.

I almost spit my coffee. You were a bunch of kids at the time? She probably would have thought you were all truth or daring each other to drink it or something.
WyldKnight
Haha ya, I think we had both just turned 16 at the time. Honestly that probably would have been par for the course considering all the other twisted things we did. The best part is his little brother almost drank it, thats how he found the bottle.
deek
This reminds me of a story...

One of my younger brother's friends was over in our front yard playing or some such. I was probably in high school, so this kid had to of been maybe 12 or 13. He was talking all sorts of crap about drinking beer and how cool it was. I told him he was a liar and that he never even tasted beer. His reply was an obvious, "Uh huh."

So, I told him I would go in the house and get him a beer to prove it (I know, these days, that would be so wrong on many levels, but anyways). I grab a can of beer which had to have been over a year old and dump about half of it down the sink, filling as much of the rest of it up with my urine. I didn't need to take a whiff to tell that is what I did and the can felt much warmer than a cold beer should, but I didn't figure the little shit would figure it out.

I went out with the piss-beer and handed it to him. He grabbed it and chugged it pretty hard for a kid. I was mildly impressed that there was no hesitation. What impressed me more was he emptied about half the can, swallowed it and looked at me for almost 2 whole seconds before puking his guts out in the bushes next to him.

He ran home crying after that.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (deek @ Aug 27 2010, 03:02 PM) *

One of my younger brother's friends was over in our front yard playing or some such. I was probably in high school, so this kid had to of been maybe 12 or 13. He was talking all sorts of crap about drinking beer and how cool it was. I told him he was a liar and that he never even tasted beer. His reply was an obvious, "Uh huh."

So, I told him I would go in the house and get him a beer to prove it (I know, these days, that would be so wrong on many levels, but anyways). I grab a can of beer which had to have been over a year old and dump about half of it down the sink, filling as much of the rest of it up with my urine. I didn't need to take a whiff to tell that is what I did and the can felt much warmer than a cold beer should, but I didn't figure the little shit would figure it out.

I went out with the piss-beer and handed it to him. He grabbed it and chugged it pretty hard for a kid. I was mildly impressed that there was no hesitation. What impressed me more was he emptied about half the can, swallowed it and looked at me for almost 2 whole seconds before puking his guts out in the bushes next to him.

Ha ha, pwned! The best part of course is that you probably just made it taste like budweiser.
WyldKnight
QUOTE (deek @ Aug 27 2010, 12:02 PM) *

I am both amused and horrified by that lol. Make sure you keep this story a secret haha. I love how we went from GM horror stories to this.
Daylen
well you sure called his bluff... natural ice light and coors light would have their taste improved by urine.
DamienKnight
GM Horror Story 1

The runners pick a random bar as a location to discuss the details of the job they just accepted. Two players get in an argument and start to fight. Not wanting them to kill each other, the GM suddenly decides the normal looking waitress is actually a world-class physical adept martial artist (with 6 skill, 3 bonus skill, killing hands, etc), who then proceeds to knock out both of the players fighting each other. WTF!?

GM Horror Story 2 (Same GM)

Back in 3rd edition, where magical characters had a good chance for magic loss when they took deadly wounds. A player is playing a wolf shifter who is a wolf shaman. He goes home after the the run and notices his door handle is fiddled with. He sneaks in and searches the whole place. Rather than rolling a perception test, the GM asks the player where they search. They list every place in the house one at a time, including the bedroom closet.

The character finds nothing, so he proceeds to go to bed. Suddenly, a ninja wearing light milspec armor and wielding a Monofilament polearm. In the ensuing battle, the wolf shaman drops twice, but at the end of the round so he is able to regenerate and get back up. Both times he lost a point of magic.

Finally he beats the armored ninja assassin, then decides to take the Ninja's helmet off to see who it was. He fails a DC 16 Perception test (3rd edition) and doesnt notice that Cyanide gas has been released into the helmet. The wolf drops again, losing another magic point.

But, I said I was looking in the closet! The player cried.

Yes, but you didnt say you looked at the CEILING of the closet! Sorry.

Bah, what kind of ninja wears milspec armor? How did he even fit in the top of the closet with a polearm? Cyanide gas in the helmet, REAAAAALllly? And DC 16 to notice gas... comon.

The player was so disheartened by the lost of 3 magic points that he created a new character, understandably. Bad GM! Bad!

Oh, and I suppose I should mention, in the two stories above, I was the GM. Sorry, when I started playing 10 years ago I was pretty dumb I guess.

WyldKnight
Dude, Ninja on the closet ceiling? Milspec armor? Where is my beating stick!? I mean shame lol.

You know, at least it wasn't a cyberzombie. At that point it just would have been /thread.
Blastula
Back when Queen Euphoria was a hot off the presses release, I ran my group through it. I don't even clearly recall what happened, but I remember getting a lot of dice hurled at me and needing to head to LensCrafters the next day to get new glasses. Pretty sure it had something to do with the drek hitting the fan when they ran into the warrior spirits, but the memory gets fuzzy.
Glyph
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 27 2010, 08:03 AM) *

Yes. Anyone who has followed Dumpshock threads on stealth knows that the stealthy guy should be naked, screaming, and painted orange.
jimbo
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 27 2010, 04:14 PM) *
Ha ha, pwned! The best part of course is that you probably just made it taste like budweiser.

Or PBR or Iron City for the win!
toturi
QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 28 2010, 07:16 AM) *
Yes. Anyone who has followed Dumpshock threads on stealth knows that the stealthy guy should be naked, screaming, and painted orange.

No, just that if the stealthy guy is really that damned good, he could be naked, screaming and painted orange.
Trevalier
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 27 2010, 06:06 PM) *
No, just that if the stealthy guy is really that damned good, he could be naked, screaming and painted orange.

Like Garrett, from the Thief games. Dude apparently wore hard-soled boots to sneak around on metal floors.

And a guy in bright orange could play a role in a band of ninjas--I believe the term is "deployable decoy".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012