Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM advice: Upping the Shadowrun lingo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Yerameyahu
The correct answer is 'however you choose'. You're not speaking Japanese and English *loves* to mispronounce loanwords. biggrin.gif
ProfGast
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 28 2010, 09:39 AM) *
(how the fuck do you pronounce omae?) is very hard to use consistently. Words like bro, dude, pal, nigga, etc. really want to come off the tongue more.

The correct japanese pronunciation, is roughly"Oh-mah-eh" which when spoken quickly can sound pretty close to "oh my".
On the other hand that word always kinda irritated me when I saw it in the books. In actual Japanese, it's not a noun, its a pronoun meaning "you." For that reason a lot ways its used in the sourcebook fluffs are just grammatically wrong. "Even I saw that coming, omae" --SlammO! f'rex.

Furthermore it's considered a fairly rude pronoun to use given general politeness of japanese speech and it can probably be translated to something approaching "Hey, Dumbass!" if you used it to someone in the course of a normal conversation. Basically you wouldn't even use it unless you have a very high opinion of yourself, a low opinion of whomever you're addressing, or both.

That being said, it's Shadowrun, and given the 'japanese influence' or what have you I guess you could argue it took up its own meaning in the shadows. I still can't help but feel it's kinda a leftover from some contributor who had too much 'fanboy japanese' learning as opposed to actual experience with the language...
Dumori
TBH it is just fanboy japanese in the fluff anyway. Its become the hip new "mate"
CanRay
Think about how badly people mangle languages.

I mean, Zero Wing! nyahnyah.gif
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Sep 25 2010, 10:25 PM) *
"Sorry I bruced your bike, Daisy, but next one's headed right between the uprights, so keep still and start talking."

That's freaking hilarious, considering I've got a teammate named Bruce, who's an ork that like blowing shit up.
Yama King
"Sorry I bruced your bike, Daisy, but next one's headed right between the uprights, so keep still and start talking."

Reminds me of an Australian I played in another game. I found a bunch of slang.

"A roo loose in the paddock" is probably my fave. Means crazy.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 28 2010, 04:27 PM) *
The correct answer is 'however you choose'. You're not speaking Japanese and English *loves* to mispronounce loanwords. biggrin.gif

And, based on my incomplete knowledge of Japanese language, the Japanese love to mispronounce English loanwords.

Platinum
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Sep 29 2010, 10:41 AM) *
And, based on my incomplete knowledge of Japanese language, the Japanese love to mispronounce English loanwords.

We had a university exchange student for 4 weeks, and I can say that is not the case. I asked alot about culture and language. Japanese are far too polite to "love" mispronouncing another language. It does happen because in Japanese, our "R" is pronouned as an "L".
ProfGast
QUOTE (Platinum @ Sep 29 2010, 07:00 AM) *
We had a university exchange student for 4 weeks, and I can say that is not the case. I asked alot about culture and language. Japanese are far too polite to "love" mispronouncing another language. It does happen because in Japanese, our "R" is pronouned as an "L".

Pretty much. It's not so much they are trying to purposefully mispronounce loan words and more to the point that their language has no physical way to correctly imitate the loan words. Doesn't stop them from liking the way some of them sound or the like, but without a lot of linguistic training to overcome that barrier they have a tendency to fall back on their own language. the R-L sound is just one example, the japanese language also simply doesn't have the ability to pronounce two consonant sounds next to each other (like an 'st' sound will come out as 'suto'), the only consonant they're actually equipped to end a word on is "-n" etc etc. But they try, which is I suppose all we can ask. English *is* after all one of the most difficult languages to learn, what with having more linguistic exceptions than it does rules.

And at least it's not as bad as say, trying to listen to a native English speaker trying to wrap their head around Mandarin Chinese.
knightofargh
Speaking as a player (mostly) slang adds some immersion. Of course my fellow players don't want me speaking in character currently. Might have something to do with the current PC having a west midlands accent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012