Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire Immunity
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
TommyTwoToes
Since Goblins are fire proof, they should survive re-enttry pretty well. Someone should market them as a self replicating source of amunition for Thor shots. You input dwarfs and get Thor. Sounds like a bargain.

Once the goblin population gets too high, you just have to fire off some shots to get back down to manageable numbers.

- Multitasking our way to a more human tomorrow.
Yerameyahu
All they get is armor based on their Magic (1). Alas.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 3 2010, 04:27 PM) *
All they get is armor based on their Magic (1).

Damn! Thats not Immunity to fire, thats Immunity to Matches.
Yerameyahu
SPAAACE goblins! Hehehe.
Laodicea
debatable whether damage taken from entering an atmosphere would be fire or blast. Yes, things heat up quite a lot, but its due to the friction of the air at that speed.
CanRay
There's also the problem of being out of the Gaiasphere. No magic in space.
Mordinvan
Damn the rules for sucking all the fun out of such whimsical discussions.
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Sep 3 2010, 04:37 PM) *
Damn the rules for sucking all the fun out of such whimsical discussions.

I don't know, the thought of the first goblin to try it certainly brought a smile to my face^^
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 3 2010, 04:38 PM) *
I don't know, the thought of the first goblin to try it certainly brought a smile to my face^^

The goblin cannon lives again!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Sep 3 2010, 03:44 PM) *
The goblin cannon lives again!

Did someone say Goblin Cannon?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 3 2010, 04:52 PM) *
Did someone say Goblin Cannon?

Didn't know they finally made one,nice!<get off my lawn>Back in my day all we had were goblin grenades and we liked em'!</get off my lawn>
Stahlseele
Shadowrun gets more Orky every day ^^
CanRay
Needz moar Dakka.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 3 2010, 11:25 PM) *
Needz moar Dakka.

NEVAR ENUFF! ^^
Dumori
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 3 2010, 10:26 PM) *
NEVAR ENUFF! ^^

IDK if they ever made a snazzgun for planets I think the ork might reach the pinical of dakka assuming they fire worlds full of heavily armed Ork and massive Orky forts.
Stahlseele
Well, they ARE close to that with their way of boarding Space Hulks and crashing them into planets from time to time . .
Dumori
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 3 2010, 10:58 PM) *
Well, they ARE close to that with their way of boarding Space Hulks and crashing them into planets from time to time . .

Yeah but they don't fire them via a wormhole at least not targeted. Oh Orks your simple nature and pysictech will always awe me.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Sep 3 2010, 04:06 PM) *
Didn't know they finally made one,nice!<get off my lawn>Back in my day all we had were goblin grenades and we liked em'!</get off my lawn>

Oh yeah, they made a card called Goblin Cannon, and then one that shot Goblins (step 1: find your cousin...).
CanRay
Fire immunity, however, does come in handy when you have an amorous Fire Elemental around...
Mongoose
Or if you want to use flamethrowers and willie petes in close quarters combat. Be your own fire elemental!

Soffacation, toxic off gassing, and structural collapse might still be dangerous, though.
CanRay
When all else fails, drop a building on it.
Neraph
Yeah, Fire Immunity is one of those funny things that is not quite what it is supposed to be. In a related note, you can kill fire spirits and hellhounds with flamethrowers.
Yerameyahu
They should simply rename those powers to 'Resistances' instead of Immunities. Solved.
Neraph
Immunity (Age, Normal Weapons, Toxins, Fire). That one would look wierd though.
Yerameyahu
All of them except Age *are* resistances, right? And it's odd to talk about 'Immunity to Age' in the first place; it really doesn't belong with them. smile.gif
Neraph
"You look great for your age."
"What can I say; I'm resistant to age."
Badmoodguy88
It is up to interpretation but it seems that wile possessed your magic attribute is replaced with the spirits attribute and your natural magic powers work at the possession spirit's magic rating, meaning either more or less power. This would not let them be a thor shot though because of the mana ebb. Other fool hearty uses of fire become more appealing though. Being able to recline on a hot barbecue grill is interesting if not very useful. It is slightly less interesting but more useful to be able to do this and not burn.
Draco18s
Firemen. They'd be able to run into burning buildings and rescue people.
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 4 2010, 10:04 AM) *
Firemen. They'd be able to run into burning buildings and rescue people.

Magic 1? That's basically a R1 Fire Protection, since their Immunity Armor would be 2, then -1/2 makes it 1 again.
Yerameyahu
I still don't think it makes sense for a possessing spirit to use host powers at boosted Magic.
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 4 2010, 10:33 AM) *
I still don't think it makes sense for a possessing spirit to use host powers at boosted Magic.

Oh. I had to go back and find where someone talked about possession. Actually, when things get possessed, their special attributes are replaced with the spirit's and their powers are not usable, only the spirit's.
Yerameyahu
Right. There's been some talk before about using a hellhound's fire breath, etc., but the rules seem pretty clear: you get the spirit in a physically-controlled body. Powers wouldn't apply.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 4 2010, 10:28 AM) *
Magic 1? That's basically a R1 Fire Protection, since their Immunity Armor would be 2, then -1/2 makes it 1 again.

Minus half? No. Fire does not halve the armor granted by fire immunity. That would be stupid.
Yerameyahu
That *would* be stupid. Electricity doesn't halve Nonconductivity, either. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 4 2010, 09:45 AM) *
Minus half? No. Fire does not halve the armor granted by fire immunity. That would be stupid.

Orly? Can you show me the rule for that?
Makki
Treat Fire damage as Physical damage, but Impact armor only protects against it
with half its value (round up). The fire resistance armor upgrade (p. 327) adds its full rating
to the armor value.

SR4A p164 only Impact armor gets halved
Yerameyahu
Neraph, you so crazy. smile.gif I just said it was the same as Nonconductivity.
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 4 2010, 03:23 PM) *
Neraph, you so crazy. smile.gif I just said it was the same as Nonconductivity.

Ok, and I asked for a rule. Not just stating it, I'd like to have a page number quoted saying that Immunities are not affected by elemental effects. As far as I can remember, Immunities are treated as armor equal to twice the magic rating of the creature in question, armor is both ballistic and impact, so your Immunity armor would be halved, since it's treated as impact armor.
Mooncrow
It's poorly worded, but there's no other reason to use the word "full" there unless the resistant armor is not halved.
Yerameyahu
Indeed, there isn't. Neraph, I assumed that telling you what it was constituted a reference; why can't you ever look up anything yourself? biggrin.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 5 2010, 12:21 AM) *
Ok, and I asked for a rule. Not just stating it, I'd like to have a page number quoted saying that Immunities are not affected by elemental effects. As far as I can remember, Immunities are treated as armor equal to twice the magic rating of the creature in question, armor is both ballistic and impact, so your Immunity armor would be halved, since it's treated as impact armor.

Treated as armor. Not "provides ballistic and impact armor." All its saying is, that it provides dice the same way armor does, but only against that type of damage.

Heck, Immunity (Gauss Rifle), should it exist, wouldn't even be halved when shot with that type of weapon even though it says "halve all armor that isn't smart armor." It would, however, be subject to the -10 (but as it would be stacking with your worn armor and not be halved, it would still be better than not having it) because the -10 is a separate modifier.
Neraph
No.

Immunity says it's treated as "hardened armor," and Hardened Armor states that it can be modified by armor penetration as normal. Your argument is based off the phrase "treated as," which is a very weak argument. When you treat something as something else, you use the rules for the something else, modified by the rules for the something.
Yerameyahu
It's an interpretation, one of two. The one that makes *sense* is the more valid; why would Fire Immunity be halved, and if it were, why would the rules mention 'full'? smile.gif
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 5 2010, 12:21 PM) *
No.

Immunity says it's treated as "hardened armor," and Hardened Armor states that it can be modified by armor penetration as normal. Your argument is based off the phrase "treated as," which is a very weak argument. When you treat something as something else, you use the rules for the something else, modified by the rules for the something.

Actually, it says, "This immunity armor is treated as "hardened" protection (see Hardened Armor above)" - SR4A p. 295 If they had meant "treat as Hardened Armor", it would have been easier to say that.
Jaid
hmmm... the "hardened protection" line might be the strongest argument for not reducing it. after all, if you buy fire protection on your armor, iirc it says specifically that it wouldn't be cut in half, doesn't it?
Yerameyahu
That's what Makki quoted, and yes. By twisting the words, it's possible to conclude that it doesn't say that, but that's silly. smile.gif
Neraph
It's not silly. The game says you get armor. Next sentence says that protection (referring to the armor rating) is treated as hardened. That hardened protection line is just an adjective describing the armor.
Yerameyahu
But it goes way out of its way, as Mooncrow says, to say 'hardened' (instead of 'Hardened Armor'); this clearly puts the focus on the ability to ignore damage below a threshold, and off of all other aspects. But, I was referring to the 'full' part from before, actually. In order to say that fire/chem/etc. protection is halved, you have to use the premise that they added the word 'full' for no reason at all.
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 6 2010, 10:35 AM) *
But it goes way out of its way, as Mooncrow says, to say 'hardened' (instead of 'Hardened Armor'); this clearly puts the focus on the ability to ignore damage below a threshold, and off of all other aspects. But, I was referring to the 'full' part from before, actually. In order to say that fire/chem/etc. protection is halved, you have to use the premise that they added the word 'full' for no reason at all.

It said protection because otherwise it would have used the word Armor three times in two short sentences. Also I see no reference to "full protection."
Yerameyahu
*shrug* If your argument is that the writers chose a thesaurus over writing clear *game* rules, now you're the one with the "very weak argument". smile.gif Anyway, the 'full' bit is mentioned a few posts back. You were there. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012