Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deep Vengeance...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Buddha72
All
The earth dragon writhes as the energies of the spell tear into its mind. It roars again thrashing about before resettling - its eyes hateful orbs of rage as it hisses and speaks.

"It seems I have been freed from this bondage."

Its form slumps to the ground and you watch the bits of rock crumble away from its shape - the last word it speaks sounds like dust.

"My thanks...."

Over the comm a single message scrolls by.

Ok I am going to grease this geek in the hut since loud is ok now. I am going to try to buy you some time with the guards in the yard by seeing if they like to dodge projectiles from flying drones. I love my job......
Fenris
His pupils flash closed and then open again as the jet of flame washes by, and he turns his head back to the two at the front of the crate, leaving the spirits to do their battle.

Panther prefers more...corporeal prey.

Muscles tense, a quick crouch, and the blurry figure darts forward, sweeping up to the second figure that stepped through the door, just off to one side. The matte black pistol seems to soak in what light there is as it snaps up, and the 'runners fierce grin goes unseen under the mask as he pulls the trigger once, very deliberately.
Buddha72
All
You see the mushroom of soft tissue and bone explode out the other side of the guard's head as the blurred figure fires a single devastating shot into his head where the lack of armor clothing seems deadly and obvious. The small tinks of metal striking metal echo out into the air. The body moves from the transferred kinetic force and falls to the ground an oddly shaped pile of limbs.
UmaroVI
The panda bear spirit followed Ayo's blurry figure through the door, then turned, reared up on its hind legs, and roared at the Yakuza taking cover behind the door while gesturing with its front paws in a strangely human-like manner. An arc of glowing white energy travelled from an extended claw to the human guard as the spirit completed its spell.
Notsoevildm
Blink
Eklipse's eyes widen as the dragon spirit emerges from the ground and challenges him. He has fought spirits before. Bullets will not help. His hands begin to loosen their grip on his SMG as he draws the shadows closer around himself.

Blink
He feels the heat from the bolt of fire that forces the dragon to twist away from him. It shudders and disappears with a thanks. "Danke" mutters Eklipse, adding his own thanks to the mages as his hands tighten again on the cool plastic and ceramic of his HK.

Blink
He sees the guard's head explode as Ayo shoots him at point blank range. He smells wet fur and a giant panda moves past him and into the container. He follows it, gun held ready. He stops at the entrance, partly in cover, scanning for targets.
Buddha72
All
The arc lashes out and some it seems to shear away from the guards form but a few tendrils push through the resistance and make contact. His body spasms as the magic flows into his body leaving disorientation and confusion in its wake. You see his hands shake and body quiver as the mana dissipates.

A sudden loud noise grabs everyone's attention as the small bloom of heat and light springs up in the shipping yard. It seems to be around the area where the security hacker was holed up. In the night sky small points of light appear and the sound of distant gunfire can be heard. You catch glimpses of small ariel drones lit up by mounted weapons as they lay down cover fire into various parts of the yard.

Eklipse
You enter the entrance to see two more new figures crouching behind containers - taking cover you assume as everything drops away and you shoot at the nearest one past the panda's unfortunate playmate. You see the container deflect some of the burst but you feel a distant sense of satisfaction as you see a few rounds drive into his shoulder.
Buddha72
Ayo & Eklipse
The air in the modified cargo container has a crispness to it that you associate with recycled air systems - it seems to be clean and sterile with no real odors except the ones you brought with you. You see the farthest figure back in the space - his face a mask of concentration that relaxes visibly upon seeing you enter as a pair with the spirit. There is a ripple near the ground and you see an object come into view - an orb of blue-white light about the size of cantaloupe which promptly explodes outwards with a wave of electricity engulfing you and the space.
JxJxA
My friend, your companions need you!

Follower's voice jolts Zerone out of his train of thought. He had been dwelling on how Amara's bolt of fire could have missed the enemy ravmalakh as well as Fat Man's magic ability. Feeling somewhat out of place, he had completely missed the familiar surge of destructive mana crackling about his friends. Fat Man had already begun trying to counter the spell.

Do not dwell on being the sword, my friend. Focus on being the shield.

Zerone nods and grips the silver crucifix hanging about his neck. Focusing on the enemy mage's spell, he begins to tear at the careful weaving of the destructive spell...
Notsoevildm
Static erupts over the team's commlinks.

"Schiesser", yelps Eklipse through gritted teeth. "Mage to rear of container. Geek ze mage!"

He ignores the pain from the electrical burns as best he can, forcing his twitching muscles to act.

I am Eklipse. I am the shadow that eats the moon and the sun he chants to himself in Japanese as he centers himself.

The smartlink icons in his field of view flicker, then blink out halfway between the injured guard and the mage at the rear of the container.
Fenris
Ayo gasps, the sound audible even to those standing outside, and drops to one knee just inside the interior of the crate, grip convulsing around the pistol in his hand as the electricity arcs through him. His clothing and armor are singed and smoking, and the sickly smell of melted rubber fills the air, the soles of the 'runners boots partially melted to the pavement. He'd taken the electrical burst pretty much full to the face. Lingering sparks arc from the pistol and commlink at his belt, and he curses as the readout for the smartlink goes blank.
JxJxA
Zerone winces in horror as he sees the enemy mage's spell tear through his companions. He begins to chastise himself for not doing more to protect them, but Follower yanks him back from the abyss of mental flagellation.

These are people who understood the risks of this venture. You cannot blame yourself for their choices. It is not His Will to see you suffer for sins uncommitted. Instead, my friend, focus on granting them salvation from certain destruction.

Zerone nods at Follower's words, focusing back on the "here-and-now" rather than the "what-could-have-been." He moves so he can see the back of the container from cover, and spots the enemy mage. He breathes in slowly and gathers the necessary mana to hopefully put an end to the mage's assault.

I pray to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, he mentally prays, to grant me the strength to save my friends, to guide my attack of mercy, and protect me from my folly. Once more, he mouths "sleep" in Sperethiel. For a mere moment, he feels the backlash of mana painfully surge through his body, but the pain passes without ill effect. Thankful, he watches as golden-white light begins to coalesce about the enemy mage.
Buddha72
Zerone
You push the weaves of mana out and once again feel something resisting the working but this time it seems less powerful and you push through.

All
A dull thud is heard as the guard taking cover behind the door seems to have reached his limit - the wash of the mystic energies from the spirit panda followed by the wash of elemental energy driving him to the ground. His gun, smoking and sparking, slides from his limp fingers skidding across the asphalt. Deeper inside the modified cargo container a burst of celestial brilliance washes out the entrance like a a new dawn. When the light passes a single body can be seen slumped on his side - a small trickle of blood running down the side of his face from his nose. In the brief moment of silence that wells up a message is sent to the team's communication network from Widget.

Ok the on site matrix security is..............non-operational and I have the guards distracted but for how long I don't know. Anyone have a timeline for leaving this party? Also I should have probably asked before we started but how exactly are you making the lab a bust for future profit?
JxJxA
I could ask Amara to put this place of sin to the sword. Perhaps the destruction of their equipment might convince them to abandon the lab? Zerone replies via commlink.
Fyndhal
From her vantage just outside the container, Twist watches the magical lightshow and winces as the burst of static comes across the commlink. She moves into the container, finds the remaining target and fires at it.

Keep sharp everyone, there are supposed to be more guards than this. Anyone have any explosives? : excl.gif
Buddha72
Twist
You enter still feeling the hum in the air from the magical discharge and you smell the heavy ozone that permeates the entire cargo container. You quickly see a lone figure behind some crates. You turn, aim and fire watching as the bullets hit home and see the ripple of impact along his body. He seems shaky and unstable but still up.
Buddha72
All
Across the facility you hear the sound of gunfire being exchanged between the guards and the airborne drones. You can see the swoop and skimming off the drones as they try to pick bright lights on the patrols and lay down suppressive fire. The brief flashes of light from muzzles can be seen even at a distance. A fire now burns in the location of the office where you assume the matrix security once worked.
UmaroVI
Fat Man follows Twist into the container. Seeing her open fire on a figure but not finish it, he targets the weakened enemy with another stunning spell.

I can also call a fire shen to help burn this place down, but no mundane explosives.
Buddha72
All
You see the distortion gather up around the lone defender in the bottom of the modified cargo container and snap into place around him - driving the flows of mana deep into his body. You watch the muscles spasm and see the loss of consciousness sweep over him as his body hits the ground like so much meat. Once again the quiet envelops the interior only disturbed by the distant sound of gunfire from the fight between the drone and on-site security patrols.
Fenris
Hand still spasming uncontrollably, the shimmering figure clenches his other hand around his wrist and stalks into the cargo container, searching high and low for a way into the second layer, where the drugs and the doctor's would be.
Buddha72
Ayo
You feel the electricity screaming along your nerves and cutting at the edges of your consciousness as you move deeper into the interior. You open your senses and take in the area around you. You are immediately hit by a layered mess of stimulus. You smell the blood and death from the combat, the tang of the charge dissipating in the air and catch traces of chemicals old and new. Shaking your head you try to clear the fog from your thoughts.

All
The interior looks damaged but still serviceable. You scan around and do not see an obvious way into the container above.
Buddha72
Ayo
You feel the electricity screaming along your nerves and cutting at the edges of your consciousness as you move deeper into the interior. You open your senses and take in the area around you. You are immediately hit by a layered mess of stimulus. You smell the blood and death from the combat, the tang of the charge dissipating in the air and catch traces of chemicals old and new. Shaking your head you try to clear the fog from your thoughts.

All
The interior looks damaged but still serviceable. You scan around and do not see an obvious way into the container above.
Buddha72
Ayo

All
Buddha72
Ayo
Pushing everything aside and finding the place within yourself where what you need rests - you draw it out and cast your senses out once again looking for any trace of your prey and to finish the hunt. You quickly find an area in the container where fresh scent trails converge. You move to a rear left corner of the space and scan the ceiling and see small scratches creating an outline of a panel of door in the roof of the container. The ground just below it shows signs of more wear and tear than the rest of the area.
JxJxA
Zerone exhales slowly and draws "Gideon"---the custom taser that his church recommends to all missionaries who walk in the shadows. He waits to see if anything else comes out of the container.
Buddha72
All
A message is received and scrolled out before your eyes.

I have some friends moving through the area on the ground leaving parting gifts along your escape route - flashbangs, thermal smoke etc. Let me know if you want me to punch through the fence and meet you halfway when you're leaving or pull right up to the container to load up.

As you read the text from Widget a small panel opens in the roof of the container - something like a view port or mail slot and you see a grenade drop down and skitter across the floor coming to rest near you as the panel is slammed shut again.
Fyndhal
Twist sees the grenade fall, and runs out of the container, cutting a sharp right as soon as she is out the door. As she runs, she yells, "Fire in the hole!"
Buddha72
All
The cry echoes through the enclosed space as Twist makes a break for cover. The long moment plays out until the grenade hisses and expels something from its interior. The horror of seeing nothing and it not exploding fills you. The air is being pumped full of something and you can almost feel it working its way into your body to do god knows what.
Fenris
On the outside, Ayo is calm, analytical, thoughtful. If the gas drops me here, will these mercenaries even stop for me aside from pausing to strip my gear?

On the inside, rage roars and thunders, screaming to Panther that this can't be it, that no hunter wants to die in a metal box killed by something that he can't even see or touch, nevermind fight to the death.
Notsoevildm
Eklipse watched the grenade bounce across the floor in slow motion.

Scheisser, it would seem I am to join you my little Heidi rather than avenge you.

Nonetheless his muscles tense ready to leap away and the shadows draw closer around him as if to protect him from the blast. But the grenade doesn't explode.

Gas! Get out you fool.
Buddha72
All
The red garish glow of the fire where the personnel office stood stands out against the night sky as the sounds of gunfire continue to ring out from the yard around you. You see disjointed shapes moving through the wreckage like mechanical carrion feeders - you assume drones from Widget salvaging what she can. Brief flares of light burst in the air briefly illuminate the airborne drones swooping and diving around the ground based security forces in the storage area. The ominous hiss of the grenade echoes in the interior of the container as it slows slightly perhaps as it reaches the end of its discharge.
JxJxA
"They that spoil thee shall be a spoil, and all that prey upon thee will He give for a prey," Amara declares as she turns her attention to the container from which Twist flees. Drawing the arc into a fiery blade, she descends to Earth as a gold and ivory ball of flame, and enters the container girded for battle...
Buddha72
All
The roar of flames and the wash of heat distorts the lights around and the night sky looks almost liquid through the spirit's wake as it enters the container. Just inside Fat Man, Ayo and Eklpise stand with a small grenade in the ground before them hissing and expelling some sort of gas into the air around it. The smell of blood and ozone hangs heavy in the air and several would be protectors of the lab lay on the floor still and useless.

JxJxA
Amara looks about the container, her hunter's stance contrasted with the serene expression of her ivory mask. She spots the grenade, and then looks up at the ceiling. She sheathes her arc and draws her fiery robe about her.

"Fall back, children of Eden. I shall buy you time by dispensing justice upon the wicked in His Name." A golden-white nimbus of light surrounds her momentarily, and then she fades from physical sight. Now in the Astral, she flies through to the container above and draws forth the arc once more--preparing to confront the the drug dealers once more.
Buddha72
All
The cold night air swallows up the heat left behind by the spirit as your skin prickles from the shift in temperature. The sweat that was forming on your exposed skin quickly chills and you see the spirit go elsewhere. A single text message is sent from Widget.

You all still there? No one answered about whether I should meet you halfway or hang here. I think one of the security teams has caught on to the fact that I'm just fucking with them. I'm not interested in punching a rent-a-cop full of holes just yet so keep an eye out for one of them joining your little party.
UmaroVI
We've encountered some problems; we may need a "hot extraction," as you would say.

Fat Man decided that sometimes, the direct approach was best. A glowing, white-hot spear of energy appeared in his hand, and he threw it at the ceiling of the container right next to where the trapdoor had closed.
Buddha72
All
The lance of magical energy pierces the ceiling of the container - you watch in fascination as the magic unravels the matter it touches. You see particles rain down around you as small glowing points of energy as the remnants of the spell consume the matter. You hear a shout from above and see a single figure - a woman - tumble down through the hole. You hear and feel the thud of her impact on the floor. She appears to be dressed in light armored clothing with a shoulder holster for some sort of light pistol. Her face is crimson with embarrassment then naked fear upon realizing the situation she has now found herself in.

A single line of text scrolls by from Widget as this woman scrambles to get to her feet.

OK - you got it.
UmaroVI
The panda spirit's fur is still standing up on end after the electric shock. It decides to vent its displeasure on the woman who dropped out of the ceiling, in the form of a stunbolt and a curse.

"Motherless goat of all motherless goats."
Buddha72
All
The tangy smell of desperation fills the small space as the bolt of mana slams into her back - knocking her flat to the floor again. You see the energy dance around her body but fail to push it's way into her flesh. She flips around to face the group and her eyes almost white with terror as she screams and tries to scrabble for cover behind some crates.
Fyndhal
Hearing the commotion in the cannister, Twist looks around the corner and sees the woman desperately trying to reach cover. In a flash, she brings her Predator IV to bear and a single shot rings out.
Buddha72
All
The shot strikes her in the side as she twists trying to avoid it. You see the ripple across her body and seep of blood from the wound, clearly her armor is lighter than the others you have faced so far. Her grunt of pain as it hits echoes through the container.
Fenris
Ayo instinctively snaps off a shot, and growls as the gun clicks uselessly. Like a de-clawed cat... Spotting the holster on the woman's side, he scans around quickly for the pistol.
Notsoevildm
Eklipse's lips are compressed into a hard line, his breath held in the hope the gas from the grenade works by inhalation and not skin contact.

He feels the heat of the fire spirit as it flies past him toward the trapdoor.

He sees the door disappear, whether the spirit's doing or one of the mages he is not certain, and watches the figure tumble from above.

He hears the 'thwup' of Twist's pistol.

He moves, zig-zagging across the room towards the injured woman. While his movements are erratic, the gun stays locked on her and burps twice. He comes to a halt next to the trapdoor and swings his gun up to cover the opening.
Buddha72
All
The burst fire echoes through the container and you see the woman rolling as fast as she cam from the shots. You see and hear her slam into a stack of crates as the gunfire lands all around her. Her every move screaming of desperation and urgency - she is reaching deep within herself to fuel this flight. It's clear she cannot sustain this level of effort - in fact you hear the fight leave her as she gasps for breath after slamming into the crates. She struggles to stand and cries out as her stomach muscles spasm and lock up from the gut wound. She pulls herself behind the knocked over crates screaming out in rage and frustration.

Ayo
The air stinks of fear and prey as you scan the area looking for her weapon - it has to be here. You feel the energy dancing along your body from the spell, still lingering and making it harder to focus but you push through and see the small handgun off to your left. It must have fallen from her grasp when you fell through the ceiling.

Cypher
You see her looking up at one of the small security screens pausing in her dissection of the "patient" on the medical sensor bed in front of her. She curses under her breath at something she sees on the display and you watch her dig out several small patches that she begins to place in the palm of her hands - it looks like she is trying to conceal them maybe a weapon of opportunity.
JxJxA
Zerone cringes the moment he hears about the grenade. Oh dear, my asthma! he thinks to himself, and begins to freeze up before he hears Follower's soothing voice.

Do not be afraid, my friend. You are not a sword, but a shield. Be the shield for those who need you.

Zerone nods, finding new purpose from Follower's words. He pulls out his medkit from his backpack and snaps it open.

If any of you are hurt, I can try to heal your wounds. Fall back to my position.
BishopMcQ
Quietly breathing in and holding the breath, Cypher takes the last step. His hands tighten around the scalpel and syringes.

Now or never...bitch won't be keeping me in a cage any longer.

Ice runs down his spine as the vision of another lab overlays his vision. The incessant humming grows louder in his brain until it feels like it will explode out of his ears.

Sinuously, the knife slashes out--his arms moving with skill and grace of a Japanese doctor. The scent of apple blossoms, and the knife feels right in Cypher's hand. Reflexes settle into his muscles rebuilding connections in his brain.
Buddha72
Cypher
You see the blade open up a deep and long gash along her neck. She screams and turns to see you standing behind her. Her eyes go wide with shock and surprise at seeing you up and armed. You can hear her ragged breathing and the smell of wet copper fills the air.

"How did you......"

Her Japanese is fluid and formal as she stumbles away from you, her eyes scanning the room for aid or perhaps a better weapon or maybe for the cause of your release.

All
You hear movement and see a shadow fall across the jagged hole in the ceiling of the cargo container. You see a SMG tossed through the opening to land near the woman crouched behind the crates. You hear her swearing and cursing in Japanese, obviously not the type of help she was looking for.
Buddha72
All
"I'm going to go in, be ready to grab anyone who loses consciousness"

Kat Doktor speaks directly to Zerone as he thumbs out a series of small patches from a pouch on his thigh - some sort of dispenser. He slaps one on his neck. He sucks air through his teeth slowly as whatever it is enters his bloodstream.e looks one last time at the interior of the container - the struggle of whether to go in or not clearly written on his features before committing to helping the rest of the team.

"Be prepared for paralysis or them being extremely disoriented."

The sound of running can be heard as Kat Doktor enters the cargo container. He quickly slaps a small square to his neck before moving to the others in the space and doing the same. He struggles briefly to find Ayo but finally manages to get one on him. As the slap hits your skin you feel your pulse quicken and a ripples of sensation down across your skin. The drugs in the patch are powerful and their effect immediate.

"This isn't going to stop whatever compound it was we all just were exposed to but it should offset some of the effects. Tell me right away what symptoms you experience with Zerone's help we might be able to counteract most of them. No promises though."

His tone is confident but you can see the concern in his eyes having just exposed himself to the same mysterious gas.
JxJxA
"Recant and repent, if you stand with these panderers of sin and debauchery, or else feel His Wrath!"

Amara's voice booms throughout the room as she manifests herself once more in the physical realm. Golden white flames burst into existence, forming the shape of the ivory-masked, fiery robed ravmalakh. She draws her arc once more and points it at the lone gunman.

"Choose wisely, child of Eden."
Buddha72
Amara
The small console area has a bank of monitors wrapped around it and a single heavily tattooed Japanese man stares at your radiant visage with naked fear and awe, with both warring for dominance on his features.

All
A single line of text appears in your image link.

Here comes Mama.

A horrible crash echoes through the storage yard and sparks fly from the fence perimeter as you see a large van drive through the now much larger hole you entered through just minutes ago. You hear alarmed shouts and warnings from the security teams converging on your location.
UmaroVI
Fat Man started to feel woozy from the gas for a moment, until Kat Doktor slapped the patch onto him. He shook his head and the dizziness cleared. He needed to get to the rest of the container. But he had better stop the ceiling-woman first, before someone got hurt. Well, more hurt. He called on the shen of warfare for another blast of stunning energy.

I believe we should now hasten our searching of this location.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012