Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Awesome use of the Petrify spell...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jaellot
So last night in the session the PC's needed to move a badly injured NPC. They didn't have a stretcher or even pieces of lumber handy, and suddenly one of the players says "I could Petrify him."

I thought this was awesome. It kept him immobile, and tt kept him from taking any miscellaneous injury from being hoisted through a hole in the floor. I could see other applications of this, say on a Doc Wagon. Especially if the patient is being unruly, too.
Xahn Borealis
What did the NPC think of it?
pbangarth
He was .... wait for it .... afraid!
CanRay
"Oh Ghost, I can't move! That magician did something to me! Is he going to steal my soul? Magicians do that, I heard about it on Talk Radio! I don't want to lose my soul! WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH ME?"
jaellot
Well, the NPC was out, having been Stabilized. His buddy, on the other hand, almost opened fire. Considering that the PC's took out the goon who did the damage, and also kept the NPC from bleeding out, it seemed reasonable that he that while he would be shocked by this, he wouldn't react beyond the initial "WTF?!".
CanRay
"Oh Ghost! That magician did something to my Chummer! Is he going to steal his soul? Magicians do that, I heard about it on Talk Radio! I don't want him to lose his soul! WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH HIM?"

nyahnyah.gif
KarmaInferno
I wonder...

If you hit someone with Turn to Goo, can you smuggle him into places inside a plastic tank?

Then pour him out and stop sustaining the spell?

-k
Neraph
He'd reform in a pile of bodyparts, no longer alive.

I've had the idea of Turn To Gooing someone, placing a live grenade in his chest, and releasing the spell.
CanRay
I remember reading somewhere that a group used the spell, and then pulled out a NPC's Datajack.

But, back to making people into statues. How do you think it happened to The Alabaster Maiden?
Traul
Shouldn't the body become much heavier once petrified? Transportation might not be as easy as it sounds.
Neraph
The target becomes Calcium Carbonate. Isn't that easier to dissolve in certain liquids, and said liquids are more readily accessable?
Yerameyahu
I don't see why a Turned to Goo person would reform as dead parts, Neraph. Mr. RAW. wink.gif Depending on what 'glue-like' means, there's no reason he couldn't be poured. He can't be divided into separate pieces, because, "any damage suffered by the gooey form affects the target normally."

Easier to dissolve than a human? Almost anything is. More readily accessible than what? smile.gif
Irion
@Neraph
The target becomes Calcium Carbonate. Isn't that easier to dissolve in certain liquids, and said liquids are more readily accessable?

Jeah. Because 200kg of Stone is easy to transport if dissolved in around 200 t of liquid.
Yerameyahu
And *that* person would be dead. Dissolving is damage, no?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 25 2010, 12:34 PM) *
I don't see why a Turned to Goo person would reform as dead parts, Neraph. Mr. RAW. wink.gif Depending on what 'glue-like' means, there's no reason he couldn't be poured. He can't be divided into separate pieces, because, "any damage suffered by the gooey form affects the target normally."

Yeah, the text implies the target collapses into a puddle anyhow.

If mere liquid flow was enough to kill the target, wouldn't the spell be automatically lethal?

-k
Yerameyahu
And it's not; presumably, you can simply turn back when it's no longer sustained. After all, if it *were* automatically lethal, why would they bother specifically talking about taking damage? smile.gif

It *is* an automatic 'knockout', because the target it unconscious (same as Petrify). Good times.
Stahlseele
Soo . . what happens when you use petrify on someone and then turn to goo?
Or the other way around?
Yerameyahu
With or without dropping the sustaining on the first spell? If you sustain both, I assume the last one takes precedence: straight from chalk to goo, or vice versa.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 25 2010, 02:31 PM) *
Soo . . what happens when you use petrify on someone and then turn to goo?
Or the other way around?

The magic gets confused and a spirit comes to pimp slap the magician into not doing things like that. nyahnyah.gif

If you're lucky, it isn't a Fire Elemental.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 25 2010, 09:39 PM) *
The magic gets confused and a spirit comes to pimp slap the magician into not doing things like that. nyahnyah.gif

If you're lucky, it isn't a Fire Elemental.

heh, i dig ^^
Dr.Rockso
So what exactly happens to cyberware when you turn someone to goo? Is this easiest way to remove a cranial bomb or would removing cyber cause damage?
Stahlseele
We don't like to talk about this. It's kinda like the improved Invisibility debate <.<
If i remember correctly, the spells description explicitly states that only biological matter is changed.
This excludes cyberware obviously. It goes then on to tell you how difficult it would be to remove
stuff from the slime, by giving you the barrier rating of the stuff. But technically, you could simply
use a sieve or a smaller hole than the now visible cyber and pour the slime through it . .
But nowhere can you find any mention about how this affects the character originally containing the
cyberware to begin with . . especially once the spell is lifted again . .
CanRay
"I can count to potato!" "Yeah, Chuck was never the same after we used the Flesh-To-Goo spell to get rid of that pesky Cranial Bomb. Seems it was wired to a few things he needed..."
Yerameyahu
EDIT: Psh. Forget everything I had written here. smile.gif It specifically says cyberware doesn't Turn to Goo. Crazy, because it's 'Essence-Paid'. I guess you lose it all, leaving horrific holes in your body. :/

I don't know if the barrier rating is for removing things (I assumed it was for damage resistance), but that is an interesting perspective: the goo has a tough outer membrane? Cyberware floats safely inside until the spell is dropped? The spell should be renamed 'Turn to Gummy Bear'.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 25 2010, 10:21 PM) *
Cyberware is part of you. It certainly turns to goo. Cranial bombs are technically not Essence-paid anymore (I think?), but they're still cyberware (Grandfather clause, maybe). smile.gif They 'cost' 0 Essence. Not 'no Essence', so maybe that counts as Essence-paid. Anyway: cyberware is mystically integrated with your being. nyahnyah.gif

Turn to Goo transforms living tissue into a sticky, glue-like substance. The caster must win an Opposed Test pitting her Spellcasting + Magic against the target's Body (+ Counterspelling). Additionally, the spell's Force must equal or exceed the target's Body. Non-living material--including clothing gear, and cyberware---is not affected.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Yerameyahu
Yerameyahu
Yeah, Sephiroth, I was shocked when I double-checked! smile.gif Already fixed it, but thanks.

I thought it was a basic principle that Essence-Paid things could not be magical targeted apart from the rest of the individual. frown.gif Does this mean we can 'Demolish Cyberware' people? 'Reinforce'? I know that we've specifically been told you can't enchant 'ware *after* it's installed, because of the Essence-Paid thing.
Stahlseele
i would not have mentioned it, if it wasn't on the same level of silly as the "bends light" part of the improved invisibility spell description . .
because that's the only way i can remember such stuff i'm afraid <.<;,
Yerameyahu
For serious! Now I understand what you meant, Stahlseele. smile.gif Sorry I doubted you, hehe.

I kinda like the Gummy Bear idea though. Cyberware stays in, the 'body' isn't divided into more than one mass, and 'damaging' it is meaningful (it can be cut, etc.). Bone lacing and cybereyes would look CREEPY, though. Obviously, it's less of an issue for Petrify, because the 'ware stays put.
Stahlseele
it'll become an issue once someone goes:"turn to goo . . turn to stone . . why not turn to chocolate?"
Yerameyahu
Screw that. Why not 'Turn to Platinum' or something more valuable. smile.gif I bet the economy could use rare-earth metals…
pbangarth
You'd have to make the platinum spell permanent somehow, or make the sale before the spell is dropped and be far away when it is.
Yerameyahu
I was thinking the latter. smile.gif But what *does* happen if you broke off bits? Would they stay stone until you dropped it, even if they were hundreds of miles apart? Would they instantly turn back into dripping meat?
pbangarth
Meat, I would think.
Summerstorm
Well, i allow for "create" magics (but it more just transmutes stuff - air for example *g*) But i made it very clear that the created stuff just EMULATES real material. Just like spirits materialization creates some stuff this spell makes it look and feel (and weigh) mostly like the imagined stuff. But only on the normal observatory level of metahumans.

I handle it as "the idea of gold" (if you create gold): So it is heavy, and golden and mallable. But magic is no science. It doesn't have the exact right weight, molecular it doesn't look like gold, maybe it doesn't "taste" like it. Anyone who is experienced with it can tell it is not REAL. (Though people might get fooled of course, especially with high force and hits).

BUT the magic gold would, for example, react to a shape gold spell, as if it were real.

Hm... back to topic... eh... i got nothing, i guess... maybe later *g*.
Stahlseele
Create Food Spell.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 25 2010, 06:54 AM) *
He was .... wait for it .... afraid!

Well, at first he was afraid...

Later, he grew strong and learned how to carry on.

So, I suppose he'll survive
pbangarth
Either you guys are pulling my leg, and I cluelessly don't realize it, or it was a really bad joke. (Or both?)

"Let's Petrify him!" ==> What did the NPC think of it? ==> He was ... wait for it ... petrified afraid!
Saint Sithney
Oh, it was just a reference to the classic disco song "I will survive". silly.gif
pbangarth
Damn. It's late. I should shut down before I miss yet more.
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 25 2010, 03:21 PM) *
I don't know if the barrier rating is for removing things (I assumed it was for damage resistance), but that is an interesting perspective: the goo has a tough outer membrane? Cyberware floats safely inside until the spell is dropped? The spell should be renamed 'Turn to Gummy Bear'.

That's kinda how I figured it to work. You turn the subject into a sticky, glue-like substance, but that substance is actually rigid enough to stay in its form and not puddle. Like more like ballistics gel that happens to be sticky than Elmer's Glue.

EDIT: Ballistic Gel person.
yesferatu
How did you get around that pesky suffocating after 16 rounds problem?
Yerameyahu
Goo doesn't need to breath. smile.gif Problem solved.
Ragewind
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 25 2010, 02:16 PM) *
And it's not; presumably, you can simply turn back when it's no longer sustained. After all, if it *were* automatically lethal, why would they bother specifically talking about taking damage? smile.gif

It *is* an automatic 'knockout', because the target it unconscious (same as Petrify). Good times.

Hes talking about the fact that if you release the spell when the Goo is sepreated the person will lose whatever part is missing from her person.

Lets say I turned a person into Goo, separated the Goo and placed the Goo "balls" into 16 separate containers. What I have effectivly done is dismember the person. When I release the spell he doesn't just "automagically" spring back into a whole form...no.. the actual event is much more gruesome. The aforementioned 16 containers now contain 16 clumps of Flesh/Bone/Hair/Clothes/Cyberware that used to be the person. Theoretically once you separate bits off of the main Goo pile you have already maimed/killed the person. If your GM is nice he can let you recombine the pieces into a whole and let you drop the spell reforming the person with no harm, kinda like putting all the play Doh back into the jar.
Yerameyahu
But separating them already does damage at the moment of separation (presumably), even in Goo form. We'd mentioned that in the previous post; we weren't talking about dividing the person. I just meant that we know the spell *isn't* automatically lethal, so (assuming it's a liquid), flowing isn't lethal. As KarmaInferno said. smile.gif So… you're right, but I think you're answering the wrong question. In fact, we discussed above the possibility that separating pieces of a Goo/Stone person instantly creates meat chunks, as the separate parts cease to be part of the spell.

I like the Gummy Troll version better, though. biggrin.gif No liquid questions.
Ragewind
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 26 2010, 12:46 AM) *
But separating them already does damage at the moment of separation (presumably), even in Goo form. We'd mentioned that in the previous post; we weren't talking about dividing the person. I just meant that we know the spell *isn't* automatically lethal, so (assuming it's a liquid), flowing isn't lethal. As KarmaInferno said. smile.gif So… you're right, but I think you're answering the wrong question. In fact, we discussed above the possibility that separating pieces of a Goo/Stone person instantly creates meat chunks, as the separate parts cease to be part of the spell.

I like the Gummy Troll version better, though. biggrin.gif No liquid questions.

Well the word "goo" would imply that it is a semi solid, like Jello.
Yerameyahu
Yeah, I said above that it depends on what 'glue-like' means. Honestly, 'glue' and 'goo' aren't really congruent in terms of solidity.
Stahlseele
And we still don't know what happens if you let the stuf flow through a tiny little hole to filter out bigger cyberware-systems.
At no time there are actually parts removed fromt he goo.it will simply flow around the cyber, which can't pass the hole.
With a sieve . . one could argue, that you have now goo spaghetti and thus killed the subject/object/target of the spell.
But on the other side, as long as the strings don't rip, then as soon as they reach the ground they will flow into each other.
so they are whole again. while cyberware stays in the sieve . .
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Sep 25 2010, 10:14 PM) *
So what exactly happens to cyberware when you turn someone to goo? Is this easiest way to remove a cranial bomb or would removing cyber cause damage?

This is indeed a big rules contradiction.. TTG does something spells aren't supposed to. Makes me wonder what it'd be like to review the recordings of your cybereyes while you were goo though.

What about interpreting TTG not as putty, but as fluid with a really strong surface tension? You couldn't just filter out the cyberware if it doesn't penetrate the surface, the whole thing would just get stuck in the sieve (actually, it'd probably try to flow out through just one hole in the sieve!)

Another consideration: would it be possible to make a spell to specifically separate cyberware from flesh? Or would that violate the Paid-For-With-Essence principle too much?
Stahlseele
Well . . there are the power-ball spells.
if you reduce the target to JUST FLESH it should work i guess . .
Neraph
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 26 2010, 12:08 AM) *
That's kinda how I figured it to work. You turn the subject into a sticky, glue-like substance, but that substance is actually rigid enough to stay in its form and not puddle. Like more like ballistics gel that happens to be sticky than Elmer's Glue.

EDIT: Ballistic Gel person.

This type of a ruling would remove a lot of this debate. Ballistic Gel is very, very solid, but still liquid-y.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012