Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Requesting some build help...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Thanee
The language in the Neo-EPO description isn't as crystal-clear as the Synthacardium (I suppose there is no argument about that one wink.gif).

But a "test made with a skill" is certainly not a test where you happen to add a skill as a modifier to the dice pool to me. It's a synonym for "skill test".

Bye
Thanee
Kruger
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 30 2010, 05:58 AM) *
Pot, kettle, black.
And in other news, KarmaInferno continues with his misusing words and terms campaign, lol. Maybe if you keep mixing your language it will bake you a nice cake. For now, though perhaps you should stop baiting. I hear that's against the ToS on this forum.
sabs
Full Dodge: Character on full defense may add their Dodge
skill to their dice pool when defending against incoming attacks.

Gymnastics Dodge: Characters skilled in Gymnastics can
spend their action flipping, rolling, cartwheeling, etc. out of danger,
and may add Gymnastics skill to their dice pool against either ranged
or melee attacks.

Those are worded the /exact/ same way.

If you then take a look at how Specialization is worded:

Specializations add 2 dice to any tests made for that skill when the specialization is applicable
to the test.

Full Defense is not a Dodge skill test according to the description
You're just adding your ranks in Dodge to your Defense Dice Pool.

If you follow the logic that implies you can't use Synthcardium or Neo-EPO, you can't use Specializations either.
When you clearly can.

KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Kruger @ Sep 30 2010, 12:03 PM) *
And in other news, KarmaInferno continues with his misusing words and terms campaign, lol. Maybe if you keep mixing your language it will bake you a nice cake. For now, though perhaps you should stop baiting. I hear that's against the ToS on this forum.

You asked why another poster keeps posting to this thread.

I was saying the same could be asked of you.

Personal attacks are also against the TOS, but we've seen you do it a number of times. Or is it only okay if you do it?

-k
sabs
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 30 2010, 05:10 PM) *

I was saying the same could be asked of you.

Or is it only okay if you do it?

-k

So don't take this personally
But could the both of you take your pissing match to PM's or something.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 30 2010, 04:07 PM) *
If you follow the logic that implies you can't use Synthcardium or Neo-EPO, you can't use Specializations either.
When you clearly can.

I would agree. There's no reason that either of these modifications would stop working when you're using the related skill, no matter if it's a test or not. If you're using Gymnastics in any manner, be it to show off or get out of the way (or showing off while getting out of the way, natch), then they're gonna apply.
Kruger
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 30 2010, 09:10 AM) *
The question was so obviously rhetorical that even small children should have recognized it, lol.

As far as it only being okay when I do it, I never did what I said he was doing (arguing a non-point), so, I guess that the answer you're looking for is "No".

I know you're desperately trying to one-up me again like you seem to vainly attempt in many threads (lol "I was a rules arbiter hur hur"), and I am truly touched by the childish display.
Thanee
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 30 2010, 06:07 PM) *
If you follow the logic that implies you can't use Synthcardium or Neo-EPO, you can't use Specializations either. When you clearly can.

That is, indeed, interesting.

From the wording I would clearly say, that you cannot use specializations here.

It is a bit different to the Neo-EPO wording ("made for that skill" instead of "made with that skill"), but it's not really much of a difference.

You are, however, right, that the Dodge specialization is clearly meant to work that way (otherwise they would be rather idiotic biggrin.gif).

The question is... is this an ambiguity in the way specializations are worded (for this particular case only, because otherwise it is not a problem) or is it actually meant to work otherwise (but in that case poorly worded throughout the book)?

Bye
Thanee
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Kruger @ Sep 30 2010, 05:16 PM) *
The question was so obviously rhetorical that even small children should have recognized it, lol.

As far as it only being okay when I do it, I never did what I said he was doing (arguing a non-point), so, I guess that the answer you're looking for is "No".

I know you're desperately trying to one-up me again like you seem to vainly attempt in many threads (lol "I was a rules arbiter hur hur"), and I am truly touched by the childish display.

Dude, seriously. Take it on out of here.

@Thanee: Why would implants like Synthacardium not work when you're still using Gymnastics for an intended purpose? Would this be a non-issue if the text said it was an addition to Athletics skills, rather than tests?
sabs
I think it's bad wording of the Full Defense Rules.
Thanee
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 30 2010, 06:18 PM) *
@Thanee: Why would implants like Synthacardium not work when you're still using Gymnastics for an intended purpose? Would this be a non-issue if the text said it was an addition to Athletics skills, rather than tests?

Logically... I cannot give you a good reason. smile.gif
Ruleswise... as I said, it is the difference between using the skill as a skill and using the skill as a dice pool modifier.

Bye
Thanee
sabs
QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 30 2010, 05:25 PM) *
Ruleswise... as I said, it is the difference between using the skill as a skill and using the skill as a dice pool modifier.

Bye
Thanee

I think rule-wise you're reading a strict definition of the words used by Catalyst, who has been known to not consider their wording very well in the past.

Doc Chase
QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 30 2010, 05:25 PM) *

Bye
Thanee

nyahnyah.gif

It's not something I have to deal with often - sometimes I can't quite get my runners to remember there's a Dodge skill - but were it my group, I'd just let those kinds of modifiers augment the skill in any situation.
Yerameyahu
*shrug* A Test involving skills is a Test involving skills.

Thanee, you've said 'Bye' about a dozen times now, but you're still here. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012