Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hardened Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Reg06
So the Granite Shell metagenic quality grants 3/3 hardened armor which "is not compatible with any worn armor." What about all other forms of armor? I'm specifically referring to Troll natural armor (which is cumulative with all other forms of armor), Rhino Hide (I don't think this one does), and mystic armor.

edit;
As a secondary, related question, what is natural skin modification? The Dermal Deposits metagenic quality? All other dermal alterations?
Karoline
Mystic armor would work with it for sure, but the mystic armor part wouldn't be hardened. Rhino Hide would be incompatible with it. I'm not so sure about the troll natural armor. I would think it would get replaced, but it might stack, though once again the extra wouldn't be hardened.

Really Hardened armor at that low of a level is a joke. Even a hold-out will break the hardened part on such low ratings.
Yerameyahu
Well, it protects you from very weak punches, that you'd just soak anyway. wink.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 12 2010, 11:01 PM) *
Well, it protects you from very weak punches, that you'd just soak anyway. wink.gif

Hehe, like I said...
Glyph
If you get it for a pixie, it can protect them from a stray sneeze, which otherwise might kill them.
Marcus
Drake's get it at level 4, giving them the awesome power of immunity to poorly shot non-AP, Light pistols.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Marcus @ Oct 12 2010, 10:10 PM) *
Drake's get it at level 4, giving them the awesome power of immunity to poorly shot non-AP, Light pistols.

And punches from below-average strength humans.

Also, there are no listed rules on how to stack hardened armor with non-hardened armor (eg. drake with mystic armor [the adept power] or the Armor spell and a troll with Granite Skin).

General consensus is add the two but damage below the hardened amount is ignored. Damage below the total is stun, otherwise physical.

But it still makes 4 (or in the case of Granite Skin, 3) hardened armor neigh useless.

If your GM feels like being generous use the following house rule:

Hardened armor counts as automatic successes from a damage resistance test (as if you had added those dice and rolled 5s).
Spirits get their Force in Immunity to Normal Weapons, not their Force doubled.
Armor piercing does effect hardened armor (how your group decides to order things is up to you; eg. if hardened armor is pierced first or last).

High force spirits are slightly less crazy (you only need 6 damage to hurt a F6 spirit, not 12, but you do less damage per shot) and the lower end stuff (F1 spirits, drakes, etc) actually see a noticeable boost from having hardened armor over normal armor.
Marcus
Sounds like a decent house rule to me. But i doubt my gm would ever go for it.
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 12 2010, 10:03 PM) *
Also, there are no listed rules on how to stack hardened armor with non-hardened armor (eg. drake with mystic armor [the adept power] or the Armor spell and a troll with Granite Skin).

Right, all we have is a FAQ, and God forbid we look at that.

QUOTE (The FAQ You Guys Never Look At)
Can you stack armor implants (Dermal Armor, Bone Lacing, etc.), the Armor spell, Immunity to Normal Weapons, etc.? If so, what counts for encumbrance?

For worn armor, only the highest value (Ballistic or Impact) applies, and any modifications to armor (from spells, augmentations, natural abilities, etc.) are applied in addition to those values. Any worn armor counts for purposes of the armor encumbrance rules (p.161, SR4A); implants and magical spells or powers do not.

Even if Hardened Armor is not the character's highest armor value, it still applies for attacks whose DV do not exceed the Hardened Armor.

Tuatura is a troll drake mystic adept with Natural Armor 1 (equivalent to 1/1) and the adept power Mystic Armor 2, which means her armor while naked is 3/3. In her dracoform, Tuatura has the power Hardened Armor 4, which grants her the equivalent of 4/4 armor; with her Natural Armor and Mystic Armor power this grants her the equivalent of 7/7 armor in dracoform, with any attacks of DV4 simply bouncing off due to her Hardened Armor 4. If Tuatura (in troll form) puts on a leather jacket (2/2) and armor clothing (4/0), her base armor would be 4/2, modified to 7/5 with her Natural Armor and Mystic Armor.
Mäx
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 13 2010, 08:47 AM) *

Well for once at least the FAQ:s answer makes sense and doesn't contradict the rules, which isn't really surprising as its only stating the logical(and common sense) way to handle it.
But it actually does fail to mention how AP affect thinks, if i shoot that drake with a hold-out loaded with APDS rounds does it:
1.Bounce of as the DV is only 4, dammit the required 1 net hit raises even this to 5

Okey now can some one tell me how you get an attact with DV 4 or less.
Neraph
Strength 1 person attacking someone with 1 net success unarmed. I think that's a DV of 2 stun.
Halinn
QUOTE (Mäx @ Oct 13 2010, 08:58 AM) *
Okey now can some one tell me how you get an attact with DV 4 or less.

Crossbows, namely the light or pistol variety. Respectively damage codes of 3P and 2P grinbig.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 13 2010, 02:47 AM) *

Oh god.

That means an Otomo can have stupidly ridiculous amounts of armor (in the 30-40 range), still look like a guy wearing normal clothing, and bounce anything 10 DV or lower. If it wants to be obvious, it can bounce anything 18DV or lower.

-k
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mäx @ Oct 13 2010, 01:58 AM) *
1.Bounce of as the DV is only 4, dammit the required 1 net hit raises even this to 5

Yep. wink.gif
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Marcus @ Oct 13 2010, 05:10 AM) *

Why's everybody forgetting the real use of that? - Astral combat! Most spirts inflict only F/2 damage in Astral Space, making a Drake imune to most spirits up to F8.

QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 13 2010, 08:47 AM) *

Tuatura is a troll drake mystic adept with Natural Armor 1 (equivalent to 1/1) and the adept power Mystic Armor 2, which means her armor while naked is 3/3. In her dracoform, Tuatura has the power Hardened Armor 4, which grants her the equivalent of 4/4 armor; with her Natural Armor and Mystic Armor power this grants her the equivalent of 7/7 armor in dracoform,...

Just wait a second! Why on earth is she getting the natural armor bonus of the metahuman form in her dracoform?!? That's plain nonsense.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Oct 13 2010, 09:59 AM) *
Why's everybody forgetting the real use of that? - Astral combat! Most spirts inflict only F/2 damage in Astral Space, making a Drake imune to most spirits up to F8.

I almost had that option once, my character (that none of the other characters knew was a drake) would have duked it out with a spirit, but someone pegged it with high velocity autofire first.

Just wait a second! Why on earth is she getting the natural armor bonus of the metahuman form in her dracoform?!? That's plain nonsense.

Is there anywhere it says that it doesn't work that way? I'm pretty sure the rules make no distinction, just that "in drake form the drake gains XYZ."
Yerameyahu
Yeah, don't start trying to make the drake rules make sense. smile.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 13 2010, 11:41 AM) *
Is there anywhere it says that it doesn't work that way? I'm pretty sure the rules make no distinction, just that "in drake form the drake gains XYZ."

I thought it was also "In drake form, the drake loses anything from their metahuman form (Like ware)"
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 13 2010, 05:41 PM) *

If the metahuman form's armor bonus would apply to the dracoform, why wouldn't it work the other way around? As the troll doesn't get the drake's armor, why should the drake get the troll's bonus? That sounds somehow odd.
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 13 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Yeah, don't start trying to make the drake rules make sense. smile.gif

Give me some time to interpret all the rules to the absolute best possible while trying to get as far away from what they say as possible and I'll tell you how they work (I'm joking people, lighten up).
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 13 2010, 11:05 AM) *
I thought it was also "In drake form, the drake loses anything from their metahuman form (Like ware)"

Nope. Augmentations have a paragraph specific to them.
Also a line like that would mean that a drake would lose "mage" or "adept" in dracoform. As well as their movement speed (trolls are faster ;D ) and gain "no speed."
Karoline
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 13 2010, 12:16 PM) *
Nope. Augmentations have a paragraph specific to them.
Also a line like that would mean that a drake would lose "mage" or "adept" in dracoform. As well as their movement speed (trolls are faster ;D ) and gain "no speed."

Except mage and adept aren't linked to metahuman form. Movement speed is though. I thought drakes had their own movement speed though that they would gain.

Quite simply, troll armor is linked to the physical characteristics of the troll, but a drake in drake form doesn't have the physical characteristics of a troll, so why should the drake form get troll armor?
Neraph
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 13 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Except mage and adept aren't linked to metahuman form. Movement speed is though. I thought drakes had their own movement speed though that they would gain.

I thought their speed was based off their original form (as in, 1.5x or something).
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 13 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Quite simply, troll armor is linked to the physical characteristics of the troll, but a drake in drake form doesn't have the physical characteristics of a troll, so why should the drake form get troll armor?

Because drake is a modification of their original form, not a brand new different form they take - which is also why their stats are increased by an amount and not turned into a completely different statline.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 13 2010, 11:25 AM) *
I thought their speed was based off their original form (as in, 1.5x or something).

That's their fly or swim speed. Their walking rate is unspecified (and assumed to be their metahuman speed).

Because drake is a modification of their original form, not a brand new different form they take - which is also why their stats are increased by an amount and not turned into a completely different statline.

And this.
Karoline
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 13 2010, 11:25 AM) *

Oh, thought it was a brand new form like shifters. I've never cared to read up on drakes all that much.
Yerameyahu
Anyway, yes: drake is a 'power up transformation' on top of the existing metahuman base. You keep natural metahuman stats (Attributs, mutations, etc.), and add drake buffs (stats, armor, flight). Not all of this makes sense: a troll drake with a couple SURGE move-boosts can fly fast compared to a troll drake *without* 'ropy leg muscles'. *shrug*
KarmaInferno
Yeah, it's not just "I turn into a Drake".

It's "I turn into a Troll Drake".

-k
Yerameyahu
Honestly, it'd probably be better if they worked more like shifters, but who knows. :/
Neraph
Even shifters are basically the same. Their metahuman form is only cosmetic, with the notable exception of cyberware/bioware and a couple of Powers, just like drakes. And in fact, I may be wrong with their Powers - I think they keep them in any form.
Yerameyahu
Nah, only very few powers do they keep, like Enhanced Vision.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 13 2010, 11:45 AM) *
Anyway, yes: drake is a 'power up transformation' on top of the existing metahuman base. You keep natural metahuman stats (Attributs, mutations, etc.), and add drake buffs (stats, armor, flight). Not all of this makes sense: a troll drake with a couple SURGE move-boosts can fly fast compared to a troll drake *without* 'ropy leg muscles'. *shrug*

Ropy wing muscles. wink.gif
Neraph
The Draconomicon is also a good one for that.
Yerameyahu
It specifically says 'leg', Draco18s. smile.gif Obviously, you can adapt things; I'm just pointing out that you have to, if you make the mistake of reading any fluff.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 13 2010, 12:30 PM) *
It specifically says 'leg', Draco18s. smile.gif Obviously, you can adapt things; I'm just pointing out that you have to, if you make the mistake of reading any fluff.

It also doesn't make sense for snakey drakes who have no wings.
Yerameyahu
Exactly: they fly like pixies, using magic. Ropy legs = moar magic. smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 13 2010, 12:36 PM) *
Exactly: they fly like pixies, using magic. Ropy legs = moar magic. wobble.gif

Fixed that smiley for you. wink.gif

Also, moar magic should be a link.
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 13 2010, 11:30 AM) *
I'm just pointing out that you have to, if you make the mistake of reading any fluff.

It should be noted that fluff is not crunch.

EDIT: There could be a Positive Quality called "Banana Hammock" that reads "You have a banana hammock. Increase the character's Walking and Running rates by one-half (round down) its current value," which results in the same mechanical benefit as Celerity.

EDIT EDIT: Also expressed as "A = B, B = C, then A = C," with A being Celerity, B being movement speed, and C being the factored fly speed of a drake, carrying a coconut, and the resulting wind-speed velocity. Or something.
Yerameyahu
Should it? smile.gif Kinda obvious.

Anyway, this is all only in support of my original point: it *doesn't* make sense, and you shouldn't expect it to.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 14 2010, 05:44 AM) *
factored fly speed of a drake, carrying a coconut, and the resulting wind-speed velocity

Eastern or European?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Oct 14 2010, 08:28 AM) *
Eastern or European?

Well played, good sir. smile.gif
Oriental or Occidental drake indeed.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 14 2010, 02:33 PM) *
Well played, good sir. smile.gif
Oriental or Occidental drake indeed.

I play 'em where I can. nyahnyah.gif

Now as long as I stay out of that other thread...
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 13 2010, 11:43 AM) *
Fixed that smiley for you. wink.gif

Also, moar magic should be a link.

Bonus points for referencing the Jargon File in a Shadowrun forum. I always loved the More Magic story.
Snow_Fox
In out games except for AZT the corps aren't evil at all. they're a-moral.Like Roger Delgado's Master they want their control and will not go out of their way to hurt people but couldn't care less if someone is hurt by what they do in pursuit of their goals.
Yerameyahu
Well, it depends what evil means. smile.gif And that's a much bigger, older discussion. Suffice it to say, apathy could be a definition of evil, just as much as 'sadism'.

In the new season of Venture Bros. (spoiler alert), Professor Impossible uses Cody (the Human Torch knock-off) as a 'clean energy source'. This constantly causes Cody excruciating pain, but it's not being done for the *purpose* of causing that pain. It's just a convenient energy source, and he doesn't *care*. smile.gif
QUOTE (Wiki)
In "Bright Lights, Dean City" Professor Impossible is revealed to have been using an imprisoned Cody to provide clean energy to Impossible Industries, something Phantom Limb describes as extremely evil.
bobbaganoosh
How does Granite Shell work with the hardened armor granted by drake? Does the character have 7 points of hardened armor? Or just the 4 from drake?
Karoline
QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Nov 13 2010, 08:55 AM) *
How does Granite Shell work with the hardened armor granted by drake? Does the character have 7 points of hardened armor? Or just the 4 from drake?

Should stack and give 7 points.
bobbaganoosh
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 13 2010, 06:00 AM) *
Should stack and give 7 points.

7 points of hardened armor should be enough to shrug off pistol shots. Well, maybe some of the lighter pistols, at least.
Neraph
How does Hardened Armor interact with Backround Count? Since it is a paranormal ability, shouldn't having a Magic of 0 remove it?
Yerameyahu
Sure.
Neraph
Sooo.... Drop a F12 Mana Static on a Great Dragon and laugh when he loses his 20 points of Hardened Armor? And what about abilities that give Hardened Armor and don't gift a Magic attribute? Where'd that Broken RAW thread go?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012