Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberarm Idea, Practical?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Yerameyahu
Still, the minimum penalty is -1. It makes sense that tactile feedback is part of fine control, even in such a situation. This is, of course, assuming your group even allows partial limbs (just a hand?) to give the full 1 box of condition monitor. wink.gif It seems like a fair trade.
Whipstitch
Regardless, sensory cut-off on the left arm of a right handed man is a better deal in most cases than running around with 3 Physical boxes of damage and -1 to everything. That's still pretty situational though since it is really only helpful if you have a single box that's putting you over the hump and into another wound modifier die. So like I said, it really is the Pain Editor and the sheer size of the sheet's soak pool that makes the quality more attractive. Not to mention, there's this:

In the case of damage applied to the character in general, not
specifically to that cyberlimb, the character can ignore a box of
Physical damage per sensory-disconnected full cyberlimb (not
partial limbs) solely for the purpose of calculating wound modifiers.
Note that neither of these options actually prevents damage,
it just allows the character to turn off some of the pain.

Now, I hate to say this, since it'll probably make some people pull their hair out, but to me that looks like there really isn't anything stopping a healthy character from say, turning off their legs and arms, going into Hot-sim and then ignoring your first 4 Physical boxes when calculating wound penalties. Seems kinda dumb considering that you're feeling your drone's pain or that some 'trix jockey is Black Hammering you right in the brain stem rather than filling you full of lead, but I'm just the messenger here so...
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 17 2010, 09:36 AM) *
Still, the minimum penalty is -1. It makes sense that tactile feedback is part of fine control, even in such a situation. This is, of course, assuming your group even allows partial limbs (just a hand?) to give the full 1 box of condition monitor. wink.gif It seems like a fair trade.

Eh, I can see why there's a penalty.

I mean, I used to do competitive shooting - was pretty good at that. (granted, it was a JROTC rifle team, but hey)

But I am horrible at FPS computer games.

Aiming without being able to feel the effects of the gun's weight, etc. should have an impact.

-k
Whipstitch
If absolutely nothing else, the weight and feel of the instrument you use in any task may be part of the context in which you tend to be most successful. Keep in mind that informal studies have often shown that people tend to do better on tests when they take the test in the same room they studied for it in. It's a tiny thing, and it shouldn't matter, but yet there's some (admittedly tenuous) evidence that just maybe a little thing like that may convince some stubborn part of a person's brain that it's now time for a given activity. There's a decent chance that superstitious athletes aren't being silly but are rather being crazy in a highly functional manner, particularly since high end competition often is more about consistency than being able to just plain out-talent everyone around you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012