Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: street names
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dog
So how many of you have played or know someone who's played a guy named 'Ronin?' What are the cheesiest, most stereotypical or just plain worst street names you've seen used?
One of my players had a character named Ronin. And yep, he was an elf with a katana.....
ShadowPhoenix
Livewire, Boink, Doc, Ogre, OpticBurn, Vampiro, The Machine, Barbie, and Deadeye have been the names of the runners I've dealt with. I can't remember some of their names, but these are the most notable handles I can think of.
Fahr
Mr. Smilez (a streat rapper/shadowrunner) pistols only, no cyber cause he was "keep'n it Real"

cyber.gif

-Mike R.
Nikoli
Vinca
Latin for Destroyer.
Rev
I think my first one was "viper" heh.

And today my main charachter is called "hemlock", though that isn't as stereotypical as it sounds becaue he is actually named after my cat who was named after the fir tree, the stupid poison makes it a cliche though.

ShadowPhoenix
My only character I ever played(I still can't believe I actually played once!) was Phoenix, a female Decker with a Kraftwerk, Heavy Pistols, and only the bare minimum cyberware(gotta keep that sexy girl look)
holychampion
Fast Freddie, a Adept who ran a go-gang.
And Billy-Billy Camel, a norm Pharmicist who ran the corner store for Fast-freddie.
Guess what the guy pushed to every customer young and old.
Slamm-O
jeez shadowpheonix, you should play an online game or something, i really feel for you man.
Fresno Bob
I had a character named Johnny Molotov once. I guess thats it. The rest of them get normal guy names.
Adarael
Let's see here...

Adarael (duh), real name Daniel Atkinson. Full mage. Name's reference to the Patron Angel of Autumn (and Tuesday).
Garbage, real name 'Bobagem Nixo', which is portugese for 'Trash Rubbish'. Bioware-junkie street sam, no cyberware at all. His parents had a bad sense of humor, and were sim junkies.
Gridlock, real name J. Ryan Dillinger. Ghoul spy/assassin. Name's a reference to A) what he causes when he doesn't put on his 'face' and still looks like a ghoul, and B) The band, Gridlock, because they rock.
The Captain, real name Graham Massey. Mercenary. Named after his former rank in the UCAS military. Former primarily because he was deemed a 'deniable' asset at the end of the Euro-Wars, and dubbed 'MIA' despite the fact that he was alive and well.
Agent Orange aka Orange Juice and Atomic Tangerine. Real name 'Hugo De Naranja'. If you speak spanish, you can see why his street names are so ridiculous. Totally insane combat decker, devoted to the One True Church of Eris. A total rip from Markoff Cheney from Robert Anton Wilson's Schrodinger's Cat.
Diesel
I've seen / made so many "Shadows" or some derivation that it isn't even funny anymore. :\
ShadowPhoenix
QUOTE (Slamm-O)
jeez shadowpheonix, you should play an online game or something, i really feel for you man.

yeah, what I think I need to do is nudge my old D&D DM(who also plays SR in my games and owns a 2nd ed SR book) into running a campaign or two. aside from that I've been thinking about hitting Aelfhame server and doing some SR mudding. Know of any other good places to hit an SR game? I don't know how reliable the PbP system is here, haven't tried it. I'd really love to run a couple of neat char ideas.
Fortune
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Nemesis yet! biggrin.gif
TimeKeeper
Yeah, my favorite rant on this was by Kane in the SR Compainon (2nd).

"This week on Shadowland's 'Why I Run' series, we'll talk with the Green Archer, Seattle's self proclaimed avenger of justice, 12 people that call themselves Nemisis because they weren't hugged enough as children and Sgt Howard Gauge of Lone Star's Shadowatch devision on why runners pick such stupid street names."
Entropy Kid
No Razor? No Blade? Never did it in game, but always wondered what would happen if a character called out "Hey, Blade!" in a bar or club.
Zazen
Past and present characters from my game: "Shlongboy" "Sperm-On-Lips" "Cockmaster" "Solid Chrome Vibrator" "Flufferboy"....

Needless to say, this bores the shit out of me. Yes, genitals make you giggle. I get it. ohplease.gif
Lindt
Oooo lets see. Percy "Iron Rodger Reed" Willams, Siiggy, Chuck Beef, System_Ed, Sboox, Noah, Adam, Saul, John, Salamon, Eve, Pilot,... and a small army of others... Can you tell where I was pulling names from for a while?
kevyn668
Lindt Posted on Mar 10 2004, 03:38 AM
  Oooo lets see. Percy "Iron Rodger Reed" Willams, Siiggy, Chuck Beef, System_Ed, Sboox, Noah, Adam, Saul, John, Salamon, Eve, Pilot,... and a small army of others... Can you tell where I was pulling names from for a while? 

Farscape?
Slapstick
Lets see, "Viper," a good one for cheesy. "Arms-a-geddon," the troll with two disgusting cyber-arms. A satyr named "Pan," a way of silence physad named "Shade," or the NPC named "Father Johnson."

-Slaptick
Kagetenshi
I had a rigger, Roisin Corrigan, who went by the streetname Ariel. Her former go-gang buddies went by Azrael, Uriel, Orifiel, Kemuel, Samael, Dumah, Adrael, and Gabriel.

Other names I've gone by are one character who actually went by Kagetenshi (I picked up the name before i used it for a character), Ariel, Juri, Greyscale, Diarmuid, and Alex. Mostly first names.

~J
Voran
I have to admit I have the tendency to use Anime names every few characters. This has gone on for well over a decade nyahnyah.gif

My most current character of SR is has a streetname of Bluesummers. 5 points to those who know where that's from.
TimeKeeper
I think if I every start a game with my current group, we'd have names like Caboose, Donut, Griff, Simmons, Tucker, and Church.

And maybe Lopez.
IcyCool
QUOTE (TimeKeeper)
I think if I every start a game with my current group, we'd have names like Caboose, Donut, Griff, Simmons, Tucker, and Church.

And maybe Lopez.

What, no Sarge or Tex? You could make Lopez a rigger, and have him drive around in a Jeep called a "Puma". grinbig.gif
Glav
I donno... I think Lopez would be more like a mechanic. wink.gif

Shadow Walker. Most. Embarasing. Name. Ever.

Had a friend run as Nemisis. Had another run as blade...but we all called him Shoeless (because he never told us what his nickname was until after we started calling him shoeless biggrin.gif)
DV8
Street names I've used in my game.
JoeJones
@Voran:

Bluesummers would be named after Legato Bluesummers from Trigun.

My characters' street names vary. One was an Ork street sam called Duke who affected a cowboy costume and mannerisms--even took the Distinctive Style flaw for it. My current (or soon-to-be-current) characters use parts of their actual names: Carver uses his middle name (from his mother's maiden name), and Case will use his last name (when that campaign finally gets started).
Firewall
I ran a game with my brother, who does not role-play much. He said his name was Mr Johnson, a.k.a. 'Massive'. The sheet read, "Mr. 'Massive' Johnson". This was going to be a long night...

Next, he called himself 'Fippy' and declared that he wanted a gnoll metatype. I checked his sheet, 'Fippy Darkpaw', and wondered if he was stupid enough to think I would not afford him the same lifespan as his idol.
(he recently created a guild to extend the life-expectancy of the aforementioned gnoll)

He still calls every Mr. J, 'Massive'...
Grimtooth
Lemme see

Lovecraft - Combat mage with PTSD from Chicago
Grimtooth - wolf shaman with "pack" issues
Gutter - the 'red headed step' Physad
Raven - Dwarf gang enforcer
Shortround - Dwarf combat mage
Blinker- Troll ganger
Icarus - Physad
Fulcrum - 3 armed street sammie
Cyanide Angel - Well built female merc
nezumi
Hmm... I've gotten a bit better after a few years of gaming; Fidelis, Samson, Caitlin "Cat" Dunn, Stryker (who's a totally dork)... I just recently went through my old old character sheets from when I first started back in high school, with names like Cricket, Bus Driver, <man with no name>, Mischief... I think the best one was when I was first learning the game and my GM was explaining the decker heroes to help inspire me, and rather than Dodger I decided to name my character Forder.
Req
Characters I've played seriously - Clockwork (combat decker), Dirge (street sammy, taken away from me and munchkinized against my will by a cruel GM), and Requiem (cybermage - Req for short).

Important npcs have been Zero and Abyss, both deckers.
mcb
BT (Brake Test) Rigger Wheelman
Aesir
My players have named their characters things like:

Mortimer Jones aka Mojo : Troll physad

Mycroft Cunningham, unvolontarely called Micro : Dwarf mage detective

Xalax Zun aka XS : Very image hungry street samuraj

I cant remember the name of the teams face, some ordinary name, but he jokingly calls himself Ninja Of Death as a street name.

CanvasBack
My first character's street name was named "ICE MAN". He was an SR1 mercenary archetype, straight out of the book. I thought he was cool at the time.
Neon Tiger
Here's some from our group: Maelstrom, Tanner, Lizzie, Steed, Gato, Puma, Tim, Neon Tiger, Sam, Rollerball, Mandrake, Lim, Windy, Slaughta, Tech, Misty.
boodah
icequeen, warlord, reaver, atma, crash, ox, rigga, capn jack, bullseye to name most of those in our group.
Shanshu Freeman
Jack the Ripper, Banshee, Saint Nick.
Glav
Someone tell me: How often have you run with a character who's streetname was "nameless?" biggrin.gif
fourstring_samurai
impulse, the grifter, 9 ball, zealot, jace, slide, wreck, war machine (ugh), chamber, shivers, flint murphy, lotus, rend, breaker, dybbuk...

early pcs were much influenced by comic books, hence names like impulse, zealot, the grifter, and *sigh* war machine.

it should be noted that the guy whole named himself "war machine" was the only one who never really "got" shadowrun. his idea of being equipped for any shadowrun was full body armor and a panther assault cannon. and I mean ANY shadowrun.

oh, and I forgot to add this one: Crusha Grubsnatcha. This was our troll shaman's NAME. I asked the (brand new) player why he named his character this, and his reply was that it was a troll sounding name.

this is the conversation that ensued:

me"you do know that he was born in modern times?"

him"yeah"

me"so his real name would be probably along the lines of john smith, peter johnson, etc?"

Him "oh, well I guess he legally changed it to Crusha Grubsnatcha. Yeah, it used to be Luke Roeder."

Me"???...cool"
Connor
About the only game I remember playing in that used 'streetnames' heavily was more of a merc style campaign. Everyone in the squad had a name based off of a 'classic rocker'. My character went by the handle Geddy and squad leader was Frampton. The best though was the guy who went by "The Edge" after U2's guitarist. No end of fun was had with that street name.
Accel
My current ones are Accel, an orc-rigger, and Job, a human combat mage. The last one is going to chance, due to some trouble with a Johnson.

Previous characters were Jack the Rigger, Saint John and Old Man.
Older names are too much shrouded in the mist of past to recall them, though there was a Blade once, but not for long.
Raptor1033
Duo, Razor, Pistolman Bill, John, the Golden Oni, Mackoby, Chainsaw Willy, Carter, Eagle Eye, and the Mook.
broho_pcp
QUOTE (Glav @ Mar 16 2004, 04:49 PM)
Someone tell me:  How often have you run with a character who's streetname was "nameless?"  biggrin.gif

I've got a guy in my game that goes by the name "The Name."

I rarely make big strong characters, but I am trying to use a troll by the name of "Blight" in my next game.
Limping Jacob
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix)
My only character I ever played(I still can't believe I actually played once!) was Phoenix, a female Decker with a Kraftwerk, Heavy Pistols, and only the bare minimum cyberware(gotta keep that sexy girl look)

I love the fact that Shadowrun has a cyberdeck brand named after the group Kraftwerk. Ahh, kraut rock. It's what everyone in the Shadowrun world would listen to - if Shadowrun were set in Germany, in 1981.

Speaking of runners named Nameless, wasn't that the name of one of the runners in that odd little short story that prefaces the SR2 rulebook? I seem to remember him being a street sam.

mfb
my main char is a black, college-educated physad with a happy marriage, a son, and a quiet house in the suburbs; he graduated from mob hitman to shadowrunner. he is, obviously, the very image of a stereotypical Italian mobster; ergo, people call him Italy.
Kanada Ten
ergo, people call him Italy.

Better than getting called Papal, I guess.

Papal... deedeedeet!

[edit]Or Sissy (short for Sicilian)
mfb
killing hands M and 8 melee dice. go ahead, call him Sissy!
Bulldrek
You know DV8 when all that's finished it will rock on toast and then some. Mad props.
sidartha
We have a guy in our group who never names nis characters and thus leaves it up to us biggrin.gif
We were abusive at first but since A: the guys a good player and B: he doesn't care we just start calling him by the descriptions of said characters, such as:
White Dwarf an albino dwarf or 1/2 Of The Orkish Death Twins part of a matched set of ork sammies.
Other names used:
Bumper, Hood, Thundercat, Bristol, Harvey Dent, Sidartha, John, Frost and many more cyber.gif
Kraken
My first character was called Wraith. An elven Street Samurai who wore a spooky mask to disguise himself. Pretty cheesy really.

Others include Kraken (orc Phys Ad) and Sledge (Dwarven Merc). Most of my other characters have used street names based on the character's actual name - abbreviations, initials, etc.

A few others from my groups in the past have included:

Snake-eyes (a young dwarf rigger)
The Eighth Dwarf (a dwarf rigger)
Blade (street samurai, complete with katana)
Ratboy (shaman)
and of course Pyjama Boy (what the rest of the group used to call the phys ad come ninja guy for his habit of running around in black pyjamas, can't actually recall what he called himself).

The weirdest street name to date has been Xena (as in Warrior Princess), the reason it is really weird is that it was used by a male troll. Of course he did wear the full outfit (leather mini skirt and all), but that's another story.
lodestar
In our group there's Fist the troll physad, Charon the dwarf voodoun - but he regularly gets called "Sharon", Phantome the human mage from Quebec, Lobo A combat decker whose online persona is Sheriff Lobo an anthromorphed wolf who has six-guns and a badge. Lastly is Ivan aka "Boris", aka "Igor", aka "The Russian", our ork rigger whose real alias is Captain Anatoly Petylakov.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012