Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sangre del Tonto
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Stahlseele
"Evil Tree"
WyldKnight
I was talking about finding the trees in their territories. It makes sense that they kill them on sight.
sabs
It does.
In their territory, it's not clear that they did find any. And it's also not clear why the UN would be like, "Bad Amazonia, killing man eating trees! bad!"

The whole setup is just weird.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (sabs @ Dec 30 2010, 05:29 PM) *
It does.
In their territory, it's not clear that they did find any. And it's also not clear why the UN would be like, "Bad Amazonia, killing man eating trees! bad!"

The whole setup is just weird.

The whole UN issue with Amazonia was because they were found sabotaging an Aztechnlogy facility working on the healing properties of the Sangre del Drago tree.

Of course, Amazonia didn't know that, since the bad intel they received said the facility was developing super-hiper-mega-kamehameha mosquitos that could kill just by biting you. grinbig.gif

And if you think a mosquito like that isn't scary, well, have you gone to Amazonia? There are like 1 million mosquitos per person over there.
sabs
No no smile.gif mosquitoes are scary bad.
Super Mosquitoes are extra bad.

I live in Eastern US. it's a freaking giant Swamp. We get mosquitoes the size of house cats.

I just don't see why Aztlan.. would go..
You know what we need to protect ourselves from Amazonia while we deal with the yucatan! Magical Killer Trees.

It's just kinda wth
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 30 2010, 02:29 PM) *
The 2000 or so members who have the same join date is either from when we transitioned over from Deep Resonance to Dumpshock or from switching the board software over to IP.Board (The latter, I think). We just transferred over the member data base, so I *think*, more or less, that most of the member numbers are still in order. A lot of the really LOW numbers accounts are the original Deep Resonance Founders and a bunch of Shadowrun names that we created accounts for to "lock them out" (I'm not even 100% certain why we did that back then, honestly).

Yeah, but they're all on the same date smile.gif

Kagetenshi: Which were rumors? The Diablo, or the "Healing tree"? I assume you mean the latter, since the Diablo got a whole write up in YotC (And the Diablo is an Awakened tree smile.gif)

Latter, the Awakened Drago. The Diablo isn't just Awakened, it's actually SURGEd.

The Draco (Which, in my head, I'm translating as Blood of the Drake, since the mundane one is Dragon) is a somewhat natural further extrapolation of that idea, going back to the original plant and the myth surrounding it. I also like the idea that it's camouflaged by resembling the Diablo.

Right, that's the one that's new. No such name is given in YotC (it's just referenced as an Awakened Drago).

I'm slightly biased, obviously, but I don't really have a major problem with the general idea as presented in War! The idea of seeding basically a treeline of these is interesting, and would make for some good ground defense, especially if they're more or less spread out so that they overlap a bit. Stagger a couple lines of them, and ground forces would have to go through several of their compulsion fields to get through.

I think my chief issue with it, just from what I've heard, is the implication that Aztlan has the ability not merely to force-grow 40-meter trees but to deliberately induce SURGE, and in specific manners as well.

In my head, they reproduce naturally by growing flowers only at the very top of their branches, so that when they spawn seeds, the wind carries the seeds away from the current tree. They also do not produce that many seeds, and the conditions have to be right for them to naturally take root. (I worked up a lot of this stuff for YotC, but when you only have a few hundred words to work with, you need to keep it to the point).

Is there any particular reason the Sangre del Diablo would have true-breeding SURGE despite the fact that SURGE in general appears to not breed true (as noted in YotC, p30, if that were the case we should be seeing vastly expanded numbers of SURGElings from interbreeding)?

~J
Bull
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 30 2010, 03:42 PM) *
Yeah, but they're all on the same date smile.gif

Yeah, because that's the date the new boards went live. We copied them over, and the numbers are the order that they were "registered" in, which I believe follows the same order they were previously registered.

However, I don't really know the board software that well, so I could be wrong about the whole thing. I just know most of the original DR crew and the "Prime Runners" we created accounts for were all the first ones in line, so... I think they're following that order.

Latter, the Awakened Drago. The Diablo isn't just Awakened, it's actually SURGEd.

Right, that's the one that's new. No such name is given in YotC (it's just referenced as an Awakened Drago).

I think my chief issue with it, just from what I've heard, is the implication that Aztlan has the ability not merely to force-grow 40-meter trees but to deliberately induce SURGE, and in specific manners as well.

Is there any particular reason the Sangre del Diablo would have true-breeding SURGE despite the fact that SURGE in general appears to not breed true (as noted in YotC, p30, if that were the case we should be seeing vastly expanded numbers of SURGElings from interbreeding)?

~J

SURGE was weird when it came to paranormal critters.

In metahumans (and in some instances of critters), it just resulted in seemingly random mutations. These were a one time thing, and while it's likely they pass on their genetic traits (or others, who knows?) when they have children,with the mana level dropped back down, it's hard to say.

It should be noted that SURGE can still happen, just like Goblinization. It's just incredibly rare.

With certain critters though, SRUGE manifested an entirely new species. Changlings with cat feature,s or lizard features, or a marsupial pouch aren't a new species, they're simply a mutation of whatever they were. With the critters in YotC though, the Sangre Del Diablo, the Glomoss, the Horned Bear, Demon Rat, etc... These are actually new critters. There's very little difference between Awakened and SURGE< honestly... SURGE mostly just points to how it happened initially,

The new species that emerged can breed true. In most cases, they're still rare. The only one on that list that is even a little bit common is the Glomoss.

(My original proposal was a bit longer and more in depth, which talked about the genetics of it a bit, and covered the idea of New Species vs Mutation as they relate to paranormal critters, but Lady Jestyr, Eleanor Holmes, ended up also doing a section discussing genetics of SURGE. Lady J has a degree in science that touches on genetics some (if not completely), so she ended up handling all of that, while I just got to make some fun new critters. It's a shame, I really liked my Emerald Sheep. Completely normal, mundane sheep with naturally brilliant green wool. smile.gif)

And Bobby: In this instance, you are flat out wrong. As I said before, my mandate from Mike M. was "Evil, Sentient, Carnivorous Trees". The final version didn't end up completely sentient, but... The idea behind them is that they're twisted and borderline Toxic, if not outright toxic.

Bull
Bull
Also...

QUOTE (p.30 @ Year of the Comet")
On A Personal Note:

My staff and I would like to express our sincere regrets for the tragedy that has befallen Yamatetsu board member Hideo Yoshida. We sincerely hope his metamorphosis will be as painless as possible, and that it will not create too many difficulties in his life. However, as our report indicates, I can only advise him that the gene therapy he is undertaking is not likely to have an effect, given our history of experimenting with metagenetics.

It may warm Mr. Yoshida’s heart to know we have not yet established whether the metagenetic traits associated with SURGE will breed true. Other metagenes do not. If SURGE genes do in fact breed true, we can extrapolate from current models of metahuman breeding that changelings may be much more commonplace and may represent a much higher percentage of the population in the next few generations. He is not alone. Be sure to tell him I said so.

> Am I reading this correctly? Are SURGE traits going to be passed on to the point where, down the line a half dozen generations, everyone will be a changeling?
> Ira

> That would go a long way toward evening out the mix so to speak. Put us all on an even playing field. We may not see it in our lifetime but it could mean some hope for future generations to live outside of racial hatred.
> Brick

> Unfortunately, I think the good doctor is misrepresenting the facts here a bit. It has already been established that other metatraits do not necessarily pass completely from parent to child. When reproduction occurs, natural mutation and crossover may displace the spatial segments for the genetic code. Given how recently SURGE appeared, there simply isn’t enough evidence to establish whether it will follow the same pattern, though this is likely. So even if both of your parents are changelings, there’s no guarantee that you will be one as well.
> Tanaka

They're actually pretty vague and unclear about what will happen with breeding. Lots of "It's unclear if" and "we don't know yet".

The stuff in my above was, at least, some of the intentions behind what I wrote, and so far as I know, how we're still treating most of it.

Bull
Stahlseele
oi Bull, shot you a pm
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 30 2010, 11:17 PM) *
And Bobby: In this instance, you are flat out wrong. As I said before, my mandate from Mike M. was "Evil, Sentient, Carnivorous Trees". The final version didn't end up completely sentient, but... The idea behind them is that they're twisted and borderline Toxic, if not outright toxic.

Bull

They still spit sap at you as of War!.
Bull
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 30 2010, 05:41 PM) *
They still spit sap at you as of War!.

Well, yeah. I can't take the credit (or the blame) for that smile.gif

I'm not saying that the stuff Mike wrote in War was good or bad. It's different than I would have handled it, and I'd have written the SdD's up a bit differently (Obviously, since I did).

I'm just giving out the rationales for why certain things were done certain ways once upon a time. smile.gif

Bull

KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 30 2010, 01:36 PM) *
I, um, sorta forgot about KarmaInferno. embarrassed.gif

That's okay. Being forgettable is an advantage to a Shadowrunner.

smile.gif

-k
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 30 2010, 05:17 PM) *
With certain critters though, SRUGE manifested an entirely new species. Changlings with cat feature,s or lizard features, or a marsupial pouch aren't a new species, they're simply a mutation of whatever they were. With the critters in YotC though, the Sangre Del Diablo, the Glomoss, the Horned Bear, Demon Rat, etc... These are actually new critters. There's very little difference between Awakened and SURGE< honestly... SURGE mostly just points to how it happened initially,

Horned Bears are an identified new species, but neither the IC nor OOC descriptions call them SURGEd. Likewise Glomoss. Actually, only the Demon Rat and the Sangre del Diablo are described as SURGEd (there's a mention about a falsified theory about the Shambler being SURGEd). This wasn't intentional?

~J
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 31 2010, 12:06 AM) *
Well, yeah. I can't take the credit (or the blame) for that smile.gif

I'm not saying that the stuff Mike wrote in War was good or bad. It's different than I would have handled it, and I'd have written the SdD's up a bit differently (Obviously, since I did).

I'm just giving out the rationales for why certain things were done certain ways once upon a time. smile.gif

Bull

Are you sure? We could still try. nyahnyah.gif

Bull
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 30 2010, 07:23 PM) *
Horned Bears are an identified new species, but neither the IC nor OOC descriptions call them SURGEd. Likewise Glomoss. Actually, only the Demon Rat and the Sangre del Diablo are described as SURGEd (there's a mention about a falsified theory about the Shambler being SURGEd). This wasn't intentional?

~J

Nope. I never really thought about it, honestly. Like I said, I was working under the assumption that SURGE was responsible for both one-time mutations and awakened "new" species, and the critters I worked up were ass supposed to be new (or possibly previously undiscovered/undocumented) species. (It should be noted that the Horned Bear, Night Manta, and Shambler were all Earthdawn critters updated for Shadowrun, which was something we wanted to do as well as create some new critters. Originally it was going to be like 12 or 20, but it got pared down to a half dozen before I started writing).

Unfortunately, due to a hard dying on me and my backup disk not working, I lost all my original notes and files back in 2002. And my YotC writing was actually done in 2000, before FASA closed down (The book was about 90% done when FanPro picked it up and finished it). So, it's been a long time since I did this stuff. smile.gif

Bull
Bull
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 30 2010, 07:26 PM) *
Are you sure? We could still try. nyahnyah.gif

If you like, sure. I'm cool with that. But only if I get the paycheck that goes with it smile.gif
nezumi
They should have just seeded the area with a few thousand drop bears and called it a day. No one debates the legitimacy or efficacy of drop bears.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 30 2010, 09:39 PM) *
If you like, sure. I'm cool with that. But only if I get the paycheck that goes with it smile.gif

Don't worry, I'll write a check full zeros in it (and only zeros).

QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 31 2010, 09:38 AM) *
They should have just seeded the area with a few thousand drop bears and called it a day. No one debates the legitimacy or efficacy of drop bears.

I'm pretty sure that dropbears have been added to the Geneve Conventions articles relating to biological weapons. And if they weren't, WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?
SirBedevere
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 30 2010, 07:38 PM) *
Unfortunately, due to a hard dying on me and my backup disk not working, I lost all my original notes and files back in 2002.

Bummer frown.gif I was going to ask if you could put up some of the stuff that got cut as it sounds very interesting; oh well.
Neraph
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 30 2010, 01:46 PM) *
No. They're trees. Carnivorous trees, yes, but no more evil than flytraps. Amazonia loves trees. Amazonia loves trees more than people. Amazonia probably would have planted the trees on its border itself, just to keep the Azzies out. And whoever screwed up the stats in War! needs to be walloped. Your "evil trees" shoot sap at you.

No. They want to shoot their sap at you, but can't since they lack a Natural Weapon (Sap) or Elemental Attack (Sap - treat as Acid).

EDIT: It's like having the Pistols skill but no hands to hold the gun with.
nezumi
When I first read that they attack with sap, I thought it was referring to sap like the blunt weapon (Melee weapons: Sap) and the trees attacked by hitting things with their branches.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012