Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You nicked the paint on your Bugatti!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CanRay
I cry at the lack of muscle cars.

But, then again, I'm Old Skool.
hermit
159.568mph stock. Faster then every production car in existence.

That is bullshit, unless you mean every car built in America, maybe. And no, even then, it's bullshit.

No, there's no F1 in SR4; why on earth should there be?

Why should there be redundant helicopters, jetpacks, redundant toy drones and redundant electrically powered wheelchairs?

I cry at the lack of muscle cars.

Learn to love the Segway and the wheelchairs. The future is going full retard!
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 9 2011, 07:28 PM) *
Why should there be redundant helicopters, jetpacks, redundant toy drones and redundant electrically powered wheelchairs?

Because they're either likely to be used by PCs or used against PCs.

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 9 2011, 07:28 PM) *
Learn to love the Segway and the wheelchairs. The future is going full retard!

Oh get over it.
hermit
Because they're either likely to be used by PCs or used against PCs.

And one, maybe two, combat helos wouldn't cut it, right.
CanRay
Why are there redundant vehicles IRL? Even with "Standardized International Militaries" like NATO?

There's a good reason for multiple different things... Production and jobs for locals! If everyone used M1 Abrams tanks, then the tank factories in England and Germany would shut down and there go all those jobs.

Also, one thing does not work for every environment. I mean, hell, the times the RCAF/Canadian Armed Forces Air Arm has had to deal with some US POS that can't fly due to a few centimetres of ice on the wings, despite being an "All-Weather Interceptor"...

Again, I point to the SMLE No.4 Bolt-Action Rifle used by the Canadian Rangers in the Arctic Circle. They tested various assault rifles in field conditions and found them to be unreliable.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 9 2011, 05:11 AM) *
Beyond around 190 mph, blurring renders most older designation devices and cameras useless though.

Several speed camera manufacturers claim their products are reliable up to 200 mph.

Mythbusters was able to beat a speed camera, but only at 245 mph. With a rocket car. The car was going too fast to trip the sensor. Notably, though, if it HAD tripped the sensor the camera still has a fast enough CMOS chip that it could get a clear picture.

In theory a Bugatti Veyron should be able to get that fast, but if they improve the speed camera's sensors it still would get it's portrait taken.

-k
hermit
There's a good reason for multiple different things... Production and jobs for locals! If everyone used M1 Abrams tanks, then the tank factories in England and Germany would shut down and there go all those jobs.

Also, repair costs would skyrocket.

Sure, in general, I don't mind having several different vehicles (though, with variants, we have 12 combat helos now ... that pretty much fill the same role). However, if there is no representation at all of one typpe of vehicle, but there are 2(8) drone wheelchairs, you start to wonder.

Several speed camera manufacturers claim their products are reliable up to 200 mph.

The modern cameras, yes. Older equipment not so much. Depends on how well funded the relevant local police is, I guess.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 9 2011, 08:08 PM) *
And one, maybe two, combat helos wouldn't cut it, right.

Actually, there are only two combat helicopters in Arsenal and none in the core book. It's the autogyros that make little sense; expensive without doing all that much.
hermit
Actually, there are only two combat helicopters in Arsenal and none in the core book. It's the autogyros that make little sense; expensive without doing all that much.

The Wasp is a combat helicopter. Unless it somehow morphed into something entirely different, like the Doberman.
J. Packer
For me, it's all a matter of abstraction anyway. I appreciate that they give you alternative names for the same car - the same stats, that is - so you can spice it up a little, thought I'd appreciate if my players also came up with new names entirely. All part of the world building process, after all.

In my own characters, I've had a few that bought personal vehicles - basic motorcycles, subcompact cars, that sort of thing - and just as many that relied upon others.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 9 2011, 09:11 PM) *
The Wasp is a combat helicopter. Unless it somehow morphed into something entirely different, like the Doberman.

It's an autogyro with an LMG stapled to it. Not something I want to fly around in when people start shooting. Looks very fragile.
hermit
O-Kay. It DID mysteriously morph into something else. It used to be a better armed and armored, one-seater Kiowa. It looked weird, but not too fragile, and wasn't an autogyro either (it uses a turbine for a tail rotor, which adds to it's weird feel).
Sixgun_Sage
On topic I've never seen much point for super cars for the exact reasons people have already pointed out, expense, lack of utility, and high cost of maintenance. They are basically the toy you get to reward yourself when you've savved up enough cash to stop running the shadows. That said it would be great to see a book with some of that sort of thign put in it as an idea of how the upper crust that sometimes employs you and is sometimes your target lives.
InfinityzeN
Hermit, you really don't read do you. Or just pick half a line to go off on. The line was "run the 1/4 mile in about 8.028 seconds at ~159.568mph stock". When talking about a 1/4 mile, the trap speed (~159mph) isn't really important. What matters is the time (8.028 seconds). Doesn't matter if your talking about 1/4 mile, 1/2 klick, 1 klick, etc. The time is what matters.

Find me a vehicle that you can buy and drive on the roads that will do a quarter mile in just over 8 seconds. There are none, even if you look at the million dollar super cars and super bikes. You said I needed to learn about racing, yet it seems you are the one with no knowledge of racing.
CanRay
QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Jan 9 2011, 04:08 PM) *
On topic I've never seen much point for super cars for the exact reasons people have already pointed out, expense, lack of utility, and high cost of maintenance. They are basically the toy you get to reward yourself when you've savved up enough cash to stop running the shadows.

Or one hell of a way to set up a distraction. Steal one, put in a custom Pilot program with Fuzzy Logic (Do NOT let the Hacker with "Signature" do the coding!), load in "Evel Knievel V2.7", and let it rip down the highways. Suddenly all air support and interceptors in the local area are busy. Set it up with some Carcerands with Thermite inside of it to go off in, oh, an hour or so, and boom, no evidence of anything except a very elaborate prank.

More than enough time to go in and do some action.
Makki
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 10 2011, 04:12 AM) *
(Do NOT let the Hacker with "Signature" do the coding!)

i knew i forgot something, when building my current TM frown.gif
Adarael
Infinityzen is right. A quarter mile speed iof 8.028 is almost a full two seconds faster than the Henessey Venom GT, which is (as far as I know) the fastest quarter mile production car in the world.

We're not talking cars with extra turbos, or cars with engine swaps, or ones that burn nitromethane or alcohol. We're talking cars that you have bought and raced, without ever having anyone do ANY work to them. Even when we start talking tuned up cars, too, this number is f'ing amazing. For instance:

AMS Performance Nissan GT-R "Alpha 9", with 900 BHP/671 KW will run the quarter in 10.1.
Their Evo VIII does it in 8.42, and I think that's 940 or so HP. Also, I don't think it's even remotely street legal.
The Evoms Porsche 996TT, which pulls something like 1300 WHP, STILL only runs it in 9.67, and that's one of the fastest road-legal drag cars on the planet.

All of this somewhat moot for "real driving", but when you consider how fast the Eurocar can go without any handling penalties, I think it's indicative that the car is just *stupid* fast.
Adarael
Double post.
Makki
I'd want some kind of Ariel Atom for my getaway car...
0-60 mph : 2.9 seconds for just 50k $
there's even a passenger seat!

what do you think a SR Atom looks like?
Adarael
Ariel Atom 2072:
Handling: +3 (Standard Sports Car)
Accel: 35/75 (It should have stupid high accelleration because it weighs basically nothing. I saw a co-worker do a 180 inside 10 feet when he stamped the gas on his.)
Speed: 170
Pilot: 1 (Sure, it has cruise control, but nothing else.)
Body: 6 (roughly the same as a racing bike, since it's physically larger, but it's all tubular framework)
Sensor: 1
Cost: 70,000 yen. (Again, assuming the 500 hp v8.)

For the smaller engine, keep the accelleration the same or drop both values by 5, reduce top speed to 150, and the price to 50k.
Edit: 20/60 is good, but the Atom's draw is accelleration. It should outperform stock sports cars in that category. Also, the top speed should be lower, for the same reason. Turbocharger's okay, but I'd go with a supercharger if the option exists in 4th ed, to minimize turbo lag.

Suit you?
InfinityzeN
Adarael is correct, the Atom is all about acceleration. Of course, it is also about handling so give it Improved Suspension. That will give it a +4 handling.

So you got three versions of it. The single bank engine, the single bank forced induction engine, and the twin bank engine. You can stay with 4 pistons per bank or switch over to 6, which I think is what you'll be seeing more and more vehicles do in the future. When your looking to rev high, a 6 is the way to go.

Arial Atom/Arial Atom Turbo/Arial Atom R
Handling: +4/+4/+4
Accel: 25-65/30-70/35-75
Speed: 150/160/170
Pilot: 1/1/1
Body: 6/6/6
Sensor: 1/1/1
Cost: 45k/55k/70k

Also turbos won't be a problem since they will have variable geometry vanes on compressor and turbine, variable nozzles, e-boost (electric motor to spool up the turbo faster) or hybrid turbo (exhaust driven turbine and electronic driven compressor), etc. There is pretty much no lag time and exact control of pressure level.
CanRay
So, by 2070 or so, do you think Ford has put out the Nucleon yet?
Makki
I agree with you InfinityzeN and Adareal about the stats, but not the cost. A Westwind seems to equal a todays european (hence the name) supercar (e.g. Ferrari) but costs like 1/3-1/4. if it equaled an american car (e.g. corvette) the price would fit better...
therefore i think the atom should cost 20-30k...
KarmaInferno
There is a difference between "speed" and "acceleration". It's important to make that distinction when you say "fastest".

-k
Ascalaphus
There is a difference between acceleration and the SR rules term Acceleration, which is actually something completely different.
InfinityzeN
Makki, a Ford Mustang (well, the Spiral 115Ti but it is basically a Mustang) cost $45k. The West Wind 3k is not a super car, but a luxury sports car. Cars in that class today include the Chevy Corvette, Porsche Boxster & Cayman, Lotus Elise & Exige, MB SLK, BMW Z4, and Audi TT. They normally cost about $50~60k. The Eurocar WW3K is pretty much the Porsche/Audi/BMW/MB car of the 2070s.

Also if anyone is interested, here are my house rules for "Factory Installed Options" (aka: Trim Levels)
[ Spoiler ]

If you want, you can include Dealer Installed Options as well. These will come on the vehicle off the lot, cost the full amount, and take up Mod slots. GridLink and SunCell both perfectly fall into this category, along with Anti-Theft, Rigger Adaptation, and any of the tires.
Adarael
I seem to recall the Saab Dynamit was more like a Ferrari as of 2051, and had a higher pricetag, but it's been a long time since I sat down with the Rigger Black Book.

Personally, I want the 2072 version of the 612 Scaglietti, but I'm a heretic. Something like this would be nice: http://www.diseno-art.com/images_3/Ferrari..._large_side.jpg
InfinityzeN
Heck, the RBB included the 2051 Ferrari race car.
Adarael
Wow. Okay, so my memory of that book is poorer than I thought. Was it open-wheel?
InfinityzeN
Yes it was. Actually it was the Ferrari Formula One race car and was one of two design examples.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012