Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking Gear
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Yerameyahu
I can't imagine why you think real life is involved at all. smile.gif I said, with complete accuracy, that you're assuming you can get rating 7 programs. Whether that assumption is correct depends, that's all. wink.gif
Eratosthenes
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 15 2011, 06:39 PM) *
If you chose to House Rule that Military Software is not avail in Warezhouse 24 you can but it is not RAW.

In several places (SR4A corebook, Unwired) it states that programs with rating 7+ are up to the GM. Yes, War! gave specific Availability numbers, but that doesn't mean that every data haven, every VPN that trades in illicit proggies, will have rating 7+ programs.

It doesn't require a house rule for a GM to say "No".
J. Packer
I'm GMing a couple games, and have already decided to shitcan the rules on extended test searches whose intervals are combat turns when it comes to browsing a data haven. I randomly determine what software they have, and at what levels and cost for the pirated goods up to 20% or more of original price. Scarcity is a good thing, otherwise, it just becomes an exercise in who can roll the best, because everything else is equal.

Yes, it's technically a house rule, but no more so than the underpining of the game that says "The GM gets to decide what happens, always..."
CanRay
They call it "MilSpec" for a reason.

Remember when APDS rounds first came out, and it was such an amazing thing! But the Street Samurai used the lot he got just getting out of the military base?

Good times...
Udoshi
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 15 2011, 02:17 PM) *
More IPs aren't necessary if your Stealth outclasses the system you're hacking, but if things go sour, they're pretty nice. IC gets 3 IPs, if you have 5, then you can either tear it apart, or go Full Defense and still do all the hacking (especially smash & grab) that you came for.

More IPs are also exceptionally amazing if you decide to branch into rigging.

Having more IPs than your attacker also means you can win Crash/Run Program or Trace User/Redirect Trace wars, which can make your life a lot easier.

One trick i am exceptionally fond of is Crashing or Disarming people's Analyze programs. As long as you don't have an Alert(this means people can see you, past stealth) on you, you're good.
Draco18s
And that's why I consider Stealth the most important piece of hacking software ever. Exploit second.
If your stealth is high enough you Just Win at hacking. If it isn't, then it goes to cybercombat, which if you have fewer actions than your opponent (which isn't hard. Two IC programs with 3 IPs each outclasses even the IP 5 hacker) you Just Lose.

Technos lose harder when they lose, because they're not logged out, they're knocked out (at best!)
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 15 2011, 10:07 AM) *
And the Signal 6 upgrade is also A14.

Which is why you get a rating 6 non-standard wireless link. Availability 6R for all ratings, +1 threshold for signal detection, and the R6 costs half as much as a standard R6.

Better in every way.

Also, the Armor program is a complete waste of time. You're dead in two hits regardless of a tiny touch of soak. The real goal in cybercombat is to get your response so high that no one can hope to hit you in the first place.
sabs
Signal 6 is basically unnecessary.
Signal 5 is plenty for pretty much everyone, just run ECCM 6(either ergonomic, or when you need it)

Have a sat uplink for emergencies.
Yerameyahu
Sounds like a typo, the GM should charge *more* for the Nonstandard. smile.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 15 2011, 03:11 PM) *
PuSHeD is a good alternative to an encephalon.
If you NEED max bang-for-buck, a cyberhand with a second-hand nanohive using logic-linked nanites is very cheap and very effective.

I'm a fan of buying firewall/system 6, and some hacking utilities at start. They get nerfed/lagged down to your Response(5)....

Firewall does not get knocked down because it is a Matrix attribute (p 221 SR4A). System gets nerfed down to Response, but nothing in Firewall's description says about it getting reduced because of Response
WearzManySkins
One note due the now "clear" rules for EMP devices, spells Static and Pulse, spend the nuyen for Hardening 6 for your commink.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 18 2011, 01:25 PM) *
One note due the now "clear" rules for EMP devices, spells Static and Pulse, spend the nuyen for Hardening 6 for your commink.

I wonder, if you spend the money on hardening a cyberlimb, will that protect the cyberware inside that limb? I'm talking about things like Radar and commlinks.
Seth
If you NEED max bang-for-buck, a cyberhand with a second-hand nanohive using logic-linked nanites is very cheap and very effective

I am not a fan of the nano hive based stuff. Each time you take damage the rating of the nanites drops (IIRC its 1 rating per 3 damage). The rating come back about 1 point per week.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jan 18 2011, 01:34 PM) *
I wonder, if you spend the money on hardening a cyberlimb, will that protect the cyberware inside that limb? I'm talking about things like Radar and commlinks.

IIRC the radar and commlink in a cyberarm will need to be Hardened due to they have Antenna which is subject to the EMP attack/spell. Cyberarm/cybernetics are not normally affected by the EMP, because they are all optically based.
J. Packer
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 18 2011, 12:54 PM) *
IIRC the radar and commlink in a cyberarm will need to be Hardened due to they have Antenna which is subject to the EMP attack/spell. Cyberarm/cybernetics are not normally affected by the EMP, because they are all optically based.

But surely there's some electronics in there that could be cooked by the EMP, even if the connections between bits are optical. Or is the assumption that they've gone away from old school technologies to entirely optical computing?
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 18 2011, 02:38 PM) *
But surely there's some electronics in there that could be cooked by the EMP, even if the connections between bits are optical. Or is the assumption that they've gone away from old school technologies to entirely optical computing?

Short Answer after the Crash 2.0 all cybernetics are built to resist EMP(Optical was the HandWave), only the cybernetic/devices with Antennae are subject the effects of EMP, but each GM can rule a certain attack can affect your cybernetics. Hardening does not cost that much, cover your bases.

Yerameyahu
The assumption is that basically any modern tech is optical and immune, except for any kind of antenna.
J. Packer
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 18 2011, 02:02 PM) *
The assumption is that basically any modern tech is optical and immune, except for any kind of antenna.

I don't remember reading that, but I guess it keeps EMP grenades from being ridiculously powerful in combat.
WearzManySkins
In a nutshell devices with antennae have a "circuit breakers" that trips when subjected to a EMP. Reseting the "circuit breaker" could be a simple as turning the device over, opening a door, pushing a button, or getting into the "hidden" service menu for that device, and reactivating it.

This has not been clearly explained, by the authors, lots of Hand Wavium was used.
CanRay
Or, on the really cheap models, the fuse has to be replaced. nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
I'm not aware that the Signal damage is non-permanent. AFAIK, you have to replace it (by buying a new higher Signal rating).
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 18 2011, 05:16 PM) *
Or, on the really cheap models, the fuse has to be replaced. nyahnyah.gif

Nono, in the cheap models the $10 part blows to save the 10 cent fuse.
CanRay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 18 2011, 06:26 PM) *
Nono, in the cheap models the $10 part blows to save the 10 cent fuse.

Right, right right... Demon Murphy and all that.

Shows how long I've been out of the business, eh?

I miss work. frown.gif
Udoshi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jan 18 2011, 10:02 AM) *
Firewall does not get knocked down because it is a Matrix attribute (p 221 SR4A). System gets nerfed down to Response, but nothing in Firewall's description says about it getting reduced because of Response

Good catch. Forgot about that for a moment. I believe the FAQ also backs this position on firewall up, as well.
CanRay
Never, ever, ever, EVER cheap out on a Firewall.

Of course, whoever wrote your firewall can get through it like a modern stealth program through a 2050 password protection algorithm.
J. Packer
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 18 2011, 05:35 PM) *
Never, ever, ever, EVER cheap out on a Firewall.

Of course, whoever wrote your firewall can get through it like a modern stealth program through a 2050 password protection algorithm.

So the message is, write your own firewall. smile.gif
Squiddy Attack
Yes. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012