Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun in Real Life... somehow
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Blade
A presentation about organized crime is asia for the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam

I'm not posting it because of the information it might hold about the Asian organized crime, nor am I posting it because of its awful quality, but because of the slide 23.

EDIT: and slide 22.
Doc Chase
They listed MCT. Oh god.
Blade
Complete with a link to the Dumpshock Wiki...
Fatum
And that's what we call a job well done!
pbangarth
As a Canadian, this is kind of .... embarrassing. I know this is not a production of an official Canadian organization, but still. A link to the Shadowrun Wiki??
Fatum
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 26 2011, 07:02 PM) *
As a Canadian, this is kind of .... embarrassing. I know this is not a production of an official Canadian organization, but still. A link to the Shadowrun Wiki??

Oh, nothing to be embarrassed about. Around here, stupid shit like that happens all the time, cause nobody wants to do their job properly.
Come to think of it, War!..
jaellot
That's awesome.
Laodicea
lmao
Kronk2
I REALLY want to send a not to the guy. asiacop@hotmail.com is his email address. I am totally hoping he is one of us.
hobgoblin
Iirc, this is not the first time that SR have been mistaken for real...
Nath
According to his website, Henry C. Hollinger has been a Police Officer with the Calgary police department for 25 years, much of them working with the Asian communities, and is a recipient of the Canadian Order of Merit of the Police Forces since 2003. A close look as his qualifications make the thing just worse. Matrix Search also says he was a candidate in Calgary ward 9 in 2010, with a score of 2.1%. I just hope he didn't campaign on a anti-SAIM platform.
CanRay
A friend of mine had a website where he posted RPG stats for firearms.

He still gets the occasional e-mail for an order. nyahnyah.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 27 2011, 03:14 AM) *
A friend of mine had a website where he posted RPG stats for firearms.
He still gets the occasional e-mail for an order. nyahnyah.gif

Did he reply IC, as a shady underground arms dealer?
CanRay
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jan 26 2011, 08:16 PM) *
Did he reply IC, as a shady underground arms dealer?

No, just politely informed them of the copyright info at the bottom of the page.

Actually, come to think of it, this happened to a few friends of mine. Admittedly, it was in the early days of the Web for most of those...
hobgoblin
I think Raygun had some similar experiences during the time he had his page of restated SR guns up.
Megu
QUOTE (Nath @ Jan 26 2011, 07:12 PM) *
According to his website, Henry C. Hollinger has been a Police Officer with the Calgary police department for 25 years, much of them working with the Asian communities, and is a recipient of the Canadian Order of Merit of the Police Forces since 2003. A close look as his qualifications make the thing just worse. Matrix Search also says he was a candidate in Calgary ward 9 in 2010, with a score of 2.1%. I just hope he didn't campaign on a anti-SAIM platform.

Christ, this guy works here?!
CanRay
Oh to be in Calgary to call this guy's work on being 40-years out of date... IN THE FUTURE!
WhiskeyJohnny
Surely it is our moral obligation to inform this individual that his work is at least partially founded on fiction?

I couldn't even type that with a straight face smile.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (Megu @ Jan 26 2011, 10:14 PM) *
Christ, this guy works here?!

Hey, in retrospect I figure every place has one or two. Don't take it hard.
pbangarth
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Jan 26 2011, 10:59 PM) *
Surely it is our moral obligation to inform this individual that his work is at least partially founded on fiction?
I couldn't even type that with a straight face smile.gif

If someone does tell him, please make a video and share.
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 27 2011, 12:04 AM) *
If someone does tell him, please make a video and share.

Oh, please, yes, do so! Make sure it's in a public forum so he can't have expectation of privacy and be able to pull it down!
Squiddy Attack
Then you better post it up here. biggrin.gif
Aku
Ya know, you would think, if the guy had read THAT much about MCT, he might've gotten to:

MCT is considered very aggressive with regards to intruders. Their defense concept is known as Zero Zone. There is no penetration and no survival. MCT does not take prisoners, shooting first and asking question later. The magic defense is top class and each important asset is defended with riggers. In addition, they use paranormal critters more often than other corporations.

And realized something was amiss... i'm almost surprised his presentation doesnt go into the cutting edge magical defense the Yakusa are developing...
MJBurrage
What's really ironic/sad is that this isn't some college kids paper. The author presents himself as an expert on the topic.

If I was a police department that brought him in as a consultant, and then found out that he could not tell a fictional website from a real one in his supposed area of expertise, I would be sorely upset.
  • AsiaCop Developments
  • AsiaCop at SlideShare
    • Presentations (3, all removed)
      • Vietnam Security Challenges 2009
      • Asian Jihadists April 2009
      • Asian Organized Crime For Linked In 26.01.2009
    • Documents (2, all removed)
      • 2010 Sec Lecture Vietnam 2010
      • 2010 Sec Lecture Vietnam 2010
Fatum
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Jan 27 2011, 09:05 AM) *
What's really ironic/sad is that this isn't some college kids paper. The author presents himself as an expert on the topic.

If I was a police department that brought him in as a consultant, and then found out that he could not tell a fictional website from a real one in his supposed area of expertise, I would be sorely upset.

You seem to suppose that other "experts" are any better.
Doc Byte
Any chance the author placed the MCT stuff purposely in there as an easter egg? And, before contacting him, please download the presentation. biggrin.gif
Lansdren
Has anyone messaged the writer? I'm interested in if it was a mistake or for fun.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jan 27 2011, 05:37 AM) *

I would like to think that they at least check their sources when they fake first hand knowledge. smile.gif
ravensmuse
Ahahaha, stop it, stop it, you're killing me!

This is as good as the "internet police" link someone had in here last week. I mean, just terrible and an absolutely face-losing situation for any "expert".

But then, I thought that this would be about that guy that raided a lingerie shop dressed like an elf with a katana and said he was on a Shadowrun, so...
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 27 2011, 07:33 AM) *
But then, I thought that this would be about that guy that raided a lingerie shop dressed like an elf with a katana and said he was on a Shadowrun, so...

I always wondered if anyone on DS knew that guy...

Yo, Britain! Where you at?
CanRay
Pulling a nickle with Bubba the Love Troll, as he was caught raiding a lingerie shop dressed like an elf with a katana for a Shadowrun? nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jan 27 2011, 05:37 AM) *

I have bumped into someone who, no joke, self-proclaimed themselves a researcher into an ancient civilization dating before 4000 BC that wrote books.

And not just books, but books about dragons. Like. Science books about dragons. Written over 500 years before the beginning of recorded history.

Then there was the nut-job who met a dragon in Iraq and is trying to publish the dragon's memoir. Yeah...
CanRay
An expert is someone from far away with a really expensive briefcase.

The stories I could tell you about what "Experts" did to the hospital in my hometown...

Well, let's put it this way. Construction started before I was born, it's still being built. Because it's well past the time "It was supposed to have been completed", the rest of the hospitals in the city are, technically, shut down.
Draco18s
Sounds like The Big Dig. Went over-budget by a factor of 7 (and over by a factor of 11 when you include the interest) and 21 years to complete.
ravensmuse
Don't get this Boston-ite started about the Big Dig. More like the Big Joke. Though, there have been small improvements made to the general infrastructure to Boston - IE, it's somewhat easier to get around downtown - it comes at the price of actually killing a few people by having large cement blocks dropping down from the ceiling on top of them. So yeah.

ETA: Though I should add, and Boston-ites will agree with me - that we're long due for a fsking subway connection between North Station and South Station. Why there isn't, when it would be the world's most convenient thing, just irritates me.
Draco18s
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 29 2011, 08:03 AM) *
Don't get this Boston-ite started about the Big Dig. More like the Big Joke. Though, there have been small improvements made to the general infrastructure to Boston - IE, it's somewhat easier to get around downtown - it comes at the price of actually killing a few people by having large cement blocks dropping down from the ceiling on top of them. So yeah.

Oh I know. My aunt lived in Boston, and the project started when I was born, so I pretty much got to see it every summer.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 29 2011, 08:03 AM) *

ETA: Though I should add, and Boston-ites will agree with me - that we're long due for a fsking subway connection between North Station and South Station. Why there isn't, when it would be the world's most convenient thing, just irritates me.
As a Vermonter who visits Boston once or twice a year, the highway moving underground has made those visits more convenient. How much has it effected daily commuting? Have they finished putting in parks where the old Highway was? Did it change crime or urbanization in any areas?

Relating this back to Shadowrun, IIRC Seattle also had such a project when the Arcology was built. Is large-scale underground construction still going on in the 2070s in Seattle? Anywhere else? Anyone played related runs?
CanRay
The Ork Underground in Seattle never stops expanding. Bloody randy buggers with large litters.

After Crash 2.0 there was a bit of a building boom as companies shifted around, and some wanted newer, bigger towers to show their small... *Ahem*.

But nothing like the Arcology. I think Dues left a bad taste in people's mouths. That, and it's Low Income Housing now anyhow, so...

Actually, I have yet to make the group pull a run against it. Might have to do that someday...
Mardrax
As far as non-canon applies, I've always had the UNL Europort sprawl center be 100% underground infrastructure. They seem to be moving underground bit by bit already. Seems to me like the Black Tide gives plenty excuse to build flood-resistant roads, keep cars off the streets and make for a complete project.
Having parking areas monitored and easily closed off at the push of a button always was a nice factor in runs to prevent the usual getaway-car-on-patrol exit. Plus streets crowded with pedestrians to complicate surface getaways. Profit. nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
Hey, if they didn't want to get run over, they shouldn't have been on the sidewalks in the first place. nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 29 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Hey, if they didn't want to get run over, they shouldn't have been on the sidewalks in the first place. nyahnyah.gif

Reminds me of the time we drove through the Renraku underground mall to escape a chopper.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 29 2011, 06:01 AM) *
An expert is someone from far away with a really expensive briefcase.

The stories I could tell you about what "Experts" did to the hospital in my hometown...

Well, let's put it this way. Construction started before I was born, it's still being built. Because it's well past the time "It was supposed to have been completed", the rest of the hospitals in the city are, technically, shut down.

Seen that to a smaller degree in my part of the world. One big building project that basically sucked up every left over sum of money in the management region, and then some...
Neurosis
Hahahahahahahahahahaha....oh man.

This has to have been a sly, intentional joke...right?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 29 2011, 01:03 PM) *

Shadow rumor is that the contractor responsible for the ceiling had previous contracts in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 31 2011, 12:54 PM) *
Shadow rumor is that the contractor responsible for the ceiling had previous contracts in the Mushroom Kingdom.

I...am not sure what this means.
Raiki
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 31 2011, 01:08 PM) *
I...am not sure what this means.

It's a reference to the Mario games, where occasionally death is caused by falling cement blocks. They usually have a very angry face on and make a *FWUMP!* sound.

Edit: Fridge logic moment. How in the hell did you make it all the way to SR levels of geekery without being able to recognize a Mario joke?

~R~
Warlordtheft
ROFL

BTW: So what RL country uses Nuyen these days??
Draco18s
QUOTE (Raiki @ Jan 31 2011, 01:13 PM) *
Edit: Fridge logic moment. How in the hell did you make it all the way to SR levels of geekery without being able to recognize a Mario joke?

Amazingly enough I ever actually played Mario.
Also, that's what I was pretty sure it was, but I didn't get the joke.
CanRay
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jan 31 2011, 01:44 PM) *
Hahahahahahahahahahaha....oh man.

This has to have been a sly, intentional joke...right?

No, sadly, it doesn't. It just means someone's Google-Fu is weak, or his grasp of what is "Fictional" is weak, and he's in a position of authority in a major Canadian City.

Considering that a major Canadian Doctor was once denied entrance into the USA (For LIFE!) due to a paper published in the early '60s that some border guard found when he Google'd the guy's name, and prevented him from being the Guest of Honour at a major convention, this just proves the stupidity of some of the people that have force of law.
Kronk2
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jan 31 2011, 02:15 PM) *
ROFL

BTW: So what RL country uses Nuyen these days??

Japan and its Yen
Edit---
New government, new currency NuYen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012