Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chemical Gland
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mäx
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Mar 21 2011, 05:38 PM) *
Look at the legality ratings of SR drugs. There's hardly anything that's not at least semi-legal.

Im pretty sure he meant legal rules wise, as in you cant have ghemical gland producing any of the combat drugs as their not naturally occuring substances.
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Mar 21 2011, 05:38 PM) *
I'd say it's a given that the drug works the same way as usual, including drawbacks.

Many of the drugs have drawbacks that only happen when the effect of the drugs ends, which would never happen if you had it as chemical gland that constantly keeps a dose in your system.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Mäx @ Mar 21 2011, 04:55 PM) *
Many of the drugs have drawbacks that only happen when the effect of the drugs ends, which would never happen if you had it as chemical gland that constantly keeps a dose in your system.

The problem here is that SR ignores the issues with redosing almost completely.
There's mechanics for it in the description of long haul, but it is just glossed over for all of the other stimulants.

I see how your reasoning works out by a literal application of RAW, but it's certainly a case where common sense should step in if you don't want to open up a particularly nasty can of worms.
We've had a thread once about a guy who kept his character on a constant dose of K-10 using a mix of your argumentation and the immunization rules, it wasn't pretty.
It was like that guy in The Salton Sea who was said not to have slept for a whole year, but worse.
Mäx
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Mar 21 2011, 06:07 PM) *
I see how your reasoning works out by a literal application of RAW, but it's certainly a case where common sense should step in if you don't want to open up a particularly nasty can of worms.
We've had a thread once about a guy who kept his character on a constant dose of K-10 using a mix of your argumentation and the immunization rules, it wasn't pretty.

As the first part of my post implies, i would never(if i was GM:ng a game) allow some one to get a chemical gland that produces combat drugs, so constant dosing isn't any kind of problem.
After all even with perfect rolls for duration, being constantly on K-10 costs 43200 nuyen.gif per day.
Yerameyahu
Rasumichin, I meant rules-legal. smile.gif Nobody cares about Availability-Legal.

On the side point of 'constant dose': having seen and had this argument a few dozen times, let's just recap. smile.gif 1. No, because it breaks the game. 2. No, because the rules say nothing about avoiding duration. 3. If it worked for the Chem Gland, it'd work for auto-injectors, slappers, and everything else. 4. No, because (as already mentioned above) if you're immune to the drawbacks, you're immune to the positive effects.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Mäx @ Mar 21 2011, 07:04 PM) *
As the first part of my post implies, i would never(if i was GM:ng a game) allow some one to get a chemical gland that produces combat drugs, so constant dosing isn't any kind of problem.

As long as none of your players or NPCs decide to simply pull off a three-day cram binge without resorting to a Chemical Gland, that obviously fixes the issue. wink.gif

I want the latter to be possible in my game, but i haven't gotten around to coming up with a redose mechanic that is both halfway plausible, halfway balanced and easy to implement.
The more i think about it, the better it seems to just rewrite the entire drug chapter.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 21 2011, 09:33 PM) *
On the side point of 'constant dose': having seen and had this argument a few dozen times, let's just recap. smile.gif 1. No, because it breaks the game. 2. No, because the rules say nothing about avoiding duration. 3. If it worked for the Chem Gland, it'd work for auto-injectors, slappers, and everything else. 4. No, because (as already mentioned above) if you're immune to the drawbacks, you're immune to the positive effects.

I completely agree.
On top of that, the whole constant-release option is nonsensical in the first place for any kind of fast-acting drug simply because a Chemical Gland doesn't produce enough doses per day to keep you on novacoke, K-10 or something like that 24/7.
Unless one assumes that constant-release chemical glands can magically produce a much, much larger amount of a specific compound than the other versions.
Then, there's the whole issue with tolerance that would prohibit this to work in the long run (the fact notwithstanding that SR4's approach to combine tolerance exclusively with addiction doesn't make much sense either).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012