Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RPGs are totally useless.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 20 2011, 05:08 PM) *
That sounds eminently reasonable... I like it...

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 20 2011, 05:27 PM) *
It seems so obvious, now that you mention it.

"Scatter dice # = range modifier", that also factors in the use of image magnification to reduce (but not eliminate) scatter dice.

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 20 2011, 06:07 PM) *
I read through the first page, and then skipped to the last post. I'm glad I did. This house-mod sounds eminently reasonable.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2011, 06:10 PM) *
Ideally, the range penalties are supposed to already account for this. Since they don't… yeah. smile.gif

blind chicken find a bread crumb from time to time i guess ^^
Yerameyahu
I assume that the idea was that you *can't* just affect scatter using image magnification. This is even stronger than the Airburst Link, and easier. Most of the launcher come with it.
Stahlseele
Thus it would make sense from an in game point of view.
Problem: At range at best not veryprecise.
Solution: Take care of range Problem.
Yerameyahu
I'm talking about the problem of swinging the balance pendulum too far. smile.gif
Ascalaphus
Balance is overused as an argument. It's not PvP, after all.

If the PCs shoot stuff with an RPG and have fun, then screw balance. Your mohawks just got a shade pinker because of all the attraction you attract with it.

If it's the NPCs getting a clear shot at the PCs - then it doesn't really matter very much if it's an RPG or a sniper rifle. The PC(s) are dead meat. This is an already-existing challenge to GMs: make it so that you aren't forced to take that clear shot.

So you can GM-fiat that the first NPC shot misses. Now the players are warned, and the combat is about running for cover.

Or you give warning in advance (during legwork for example, or by overseeing some guards, or some other way that doesn't look too contrived). Now the ball is in the PCs' court to make sure the enemy doesn't get to take that clear shot.

But I wouldn't nerf the actual weapon rule. Don't GM-use that weapon as if it's just a step up from a gun. It's a (minor) plot device.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 18 2011, 03:29 PM) *
Hence why I'd do it in missions. It has to run by RAW, of course, but I'd be there explicitly to find the holes in RAW that cause things to fall apart.

Technically, Missions is run by "try to stick to RAW, but most of all make sure the players are having fun, so if you have to fudge the rules occasionally it's okay".

-k
Draco18s
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 20 2011, 05:42 PM) *
Technically, Missions is run by "try to stick to RAW, but most of all make sure the players are having fun, so if you have to fudge the rules occasionally it's okay".

Point. Good thing Missions aren't run near me (as far as I am aware--on, that's a good acronym: AFAIAA).

Of course, I could do the other "fun" thing I put together.

A mind manipulation mage.

That casts Alter Memory.

On his teammates.

After the run.

To make them remember the run as an acid trip.

However, it would take a clever GM to run this the right way. That is, it would be run as the acid trip version.
CanRay
"So, we totally infiltrated the ACHE in a yellow submarine drone?"
Dakka Dakka
"Far Out, Man"
Stahlseele
"Did i really sneak in there covered in neon yellow dayglo paint?"
CanRay
"That security guard totally had a head like a toaster, man. And when we stole the pig, it was priceless! Too bad it flew away to the strains of Pink Floyd..."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012