Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things to do at Gencon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
KarmaInferno
I have long wanted to show up at one of these cons as a steampunk Iron Man.

But then the realization of how much work that would be hits me and I return to sanity.

-k
CanRay
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 15 2011, 11:19 AM) *
Yeah. The one thing about "Steam Punk" is tat, somehow, plain Victorian-era clothing is suddenly a Steampunk costume. It's annoying, because that's a zero-effort costume, really.

The other common thing, besides goggles (Which you can find at about a dozen booths at the con) are Nerf Guns painted brass. Usually the Nerf Maverick.

Last year though, there was someone who was Wheelchair bound (at least, I assume so, as they were in it all weekend long). They decorated their chair up into a steampunk looking chair that was halfway well done.

Anyway, like all costume efforts, results will vary. Some are very well done. Some (like my own efforts) are completely half-assed and lame. And a few are Top-hats and goggles, or cat-ears, or a simple pair of vamp fangs. And they are beyond lame smile.gif

Bull

That's why when I did it at the GenCon I went to, with my friends and I as Deadlands characters, I just said I was a cowboy. nyahnyah.gif Even had to borrow a holster. "Why are you wearing... Are those Moccasins?" "I'm Canadian." "There are Canadian Cowboys?" "I'd smack you for that, but it wouldn't be polite." "I guess there are." (My friends put a bit more work into their costumes, but one was getting the special holster made anyhow, and another is a costume maker by trade.). We were on the Pinnacle Website for a bit.

Getting the cap gun through customs however, was a lesson in how tight things are in a lot of ways. Glad I didn't bring the caps.

However, Victorian =/= Steampunk. You have to modify the outfit in special ways to do it right. So, at least some folks know it.
Bull
Hell, it's not even a 9/11 thing. The first Gen Con I went to back in '96? '97? I've lost track. Anyway, we went to the Airport to pick Dvixen up, who was flying in from Vancouver. I had my backpack with me that had my SR books in it, but also had one of those old Super Soaker pistols in it for some reason. We had to go through the scanner to go to the gate to meet her, and when they scanned my back, they confiscated it. I wasn't even allowed to take it back to the car. And we weren't even getting ON a plane!

Bull
Stahlseele
Bug Bull. Sorry Bull.
thewhiterabbit
Hey all -- I'm Nezumi's wife & would prefer to speak for myself -- soooo:

If I cosplay, it won't be half-assed. I used to vend steampunk wares at cons & have gotten to be pretty discriminating. In any case -- it's my first time at Gen Con and I'm REALLY excited. Maybe we can do some sort of Dumpshock meetup w/ non-american beer.
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (thewhiterabbit @ Apr 15 2011, 11:51 AM) *
Hey all -- I'm Nezumi's wife & would prefer to speak for myself -- soooo:

If I cosplay, it won't be half-assed. I used to vend steampunk wares at cons & have gotten to be pretty discriminating. In any case -- it's my first time at Gen Con and I'm REALLY excited. Maybe we can do some sort of Dumpshock meetup w/ non-American beer.

FYI: There's a costume parade Saturday afternoon as well as a costume contest with a variety of categories. Neither are huge events for GenCon, as it's not really focused on costumes, but there's certainly plenty of cosplay gamers that show-up.
ravensmuse
Hello, Ravensmuse's wife here! (waves)

I started costuming at Gencon when it moved to Indy about 8 years ago (? Memory is a bit fuzzy, its been awhile though). When it first started out I was one of only a few costumers. It was nice but it wasn't prominent at all. Still no one would turn a crazy eye. I will say that the creep factor was high back then, and does still exist to some extent but not as bad as the "Old Days" of Indy Gencons. The year I knew that there was an issue was 2005 or so when I had some guy follow me around and I found about 25 photos of me in odd candid places, like coming out of a bathroom. Yeah, no more revealing costumes for me.

But anyways, costuming has gotten really popular in the past few years, for the better! The costume contest is actually quite competitive and the costuming track from what I understand is very good. Its taken a bit of a turn to the Anime because Gencon has been trying to bring in a younger audience through their Anime track, so you will see a lot of "Cosplay", I'd say 1/2 to 3/4 is anime related. That doesn't bother me though, there's a place for everything there! You will see a lot of Steampunk there if this year is like years past!

I probably won't costume at this year's Gencon if we get there simply because of politics that exist in all costuming circles, and I need a break, but that's not really relevant here. As long as you just are going to spectate I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Be sure to post photos! I'd love to see what you're making! smile.gif

raven again - one year my wife wore a Civil War era costume that she modified because the interior wasn't sturdy enough. It was a project - and she even modified her own umbrella for it! - but it was one of the best costumes there that year, and you don't get to see Civil War era costumes walking around too often!
Wesley Street
The Antebellum South ensemble? I remember spotting that garb on the trade show floor! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012