Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things to do at Gencon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nezumi
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Apr 11 2011, 01:47 PM) *
Badges have been on sale since January. Event registration starts on May 1st. Be warned, online registration is a mess for several hours after it opens as thousands of people overload GenCon's servers trying to get into this or that coveted event. You can always purchase Generic Tickets and show up to an event hoping they'll have a no-show but then you leave yourself open to the possibility of having to run around to different locations trying to get into events.

http://www.gencon.com/2011/indy/default.aspx

Thank you! I read through the website and that information was not made immediately clear to me. I already have a badge. Everything is in my wife's name (it recognizes my email address enough to prevent me from creating a new account, but not enough to say I 'forgot my password'), so hopefully that'll be made abundantly clear to me by May 1st. It would be nice to see some of these mysterious events I keep hearing about.
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 11 2011, 01:50 PM) *
Thank you! I read through the website and that information was not made immediately clear to me. I already have a badge. Everything is in my wife's name (it recognizes my email address enough to prevent me from creating a new account, but not enough to say I 'forgot my password'), so hopefully that'll be made abundantly clear to me by May 1st.

I might do some digging into this one BEFORE May 1st. Email customer-service. Did you activate your account? That's a common issue.

QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 11 2011, 01:50 PM) *
It would be nice to see some of these mysterious events I keep hearing about.

Here's a list of 2010's events. Note that this is LAST YEARS EVENTS. Not this years. You can't go to these anymore, they happened in the past. I'm linking it here to give the uninitiated an idea on the full range of events available.

http://community.gencon.com/files/folders/...ntry220034.aspx

I'd start making a 'wish-list' of types of events to go to. i.e. Some shadowrun, a magic tourny, some Furry LARPing, etc.
ravensmuse
I'll just quote the 1/2/3 rule again - One shower, two meals, and at least three hours of sleep a day. Trust me on this one. You'd think "showering" would be common sense among people, but...yeah. No.

I don't think Gencon is in the cards for me this year, but I do live much closer to Indy nowadays, so hopefully I'll be able to make it next year. I will again throw weight behind a Dumpshock meetup tho. IT NEEDS TO BE DONE.
DV8
Last year, the absolute best part of GenCon, besides hanging out with people like Bull, was the White Wolf booth, where they had lounge chairs, vampire chicks and a pretty damn good bartender. If she's there again this year, make sure to tip her well. You take care of her and she'll take care of you. love.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (DV8 @ Apr 12 2011, 06:34 AM) *
the White Wolf booth, where they had lounge chairs, vampire chicks and a pretty damn good bartender.

Funny. I thought that was the worst part of the GenCon trade floor. "Hey, we're not actually going to showcase any of our products, we're just going to pimp our New Orleans event and pour drinks. And play loud music."

Different strokes for different folks. But if any other companies try to emulate that I'm going home early.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Apr 12 2011, 08:03 AM) *
Funny. I thought that was the worst part of the GenCon trade floor. "Hey, we're not actually going to showcase any of our products, we're just going to pimp our New Orleans event and pour drinks. And play loud music."

Different strokes for different folks. But if any other companies try to emulate that I'm going home early.

The White Wolf booth smelled of failure.
CanRay
Drunk gamers are not usually suggested.

Or should be recorded and put up for all of Dumpshock to see.

So, who is getting the CGL crew wasted at this GenCon? nyahnyah.gif
nezumi
Sorry, I'll be busy wooing the PHS group.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 12 2011, 08:54 AM) *
Sorry, I'll be busy wooing the PHS group.

Yeah, Rob and Adam really put the 'punk' in 'posthumanism....' Wait...oh, never mind.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2011, 02:25 PM) *
Drunk gamers are not usually suggested.

Or should be recorded and put up for all of Dumpshock to see.

So, who is getting the CGL crew wasted at this GenCon? nyahnyah.gif

That depends entirely on how much DMSO I can:

A:) get my hands on, and,
B:) get by security.

Or did you mean after the dealer's room closes? I could probably be counted on for a round. nyahnyah.gif
nylanfs
One thing you should do is stop by the PCGen booth and say hi to me smile.gif
Tyro
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Apr 12 2011, 08:55 AM) *
That depends entirely on how much DMSO I can:

A:) get my hands on, and,
B:) get by security.

Or did you mean after the dealer's room closes? I could probably be counted on for a round. nyahnyah.gif

Try paper mills. DMSO is a byproduct of the wood pulping process.
DWC
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 12 2011, 08:52 PM) *
Try paper mills. DMSO is a byproduct of the wood pulping process.

Or mix the substance of choice with juice and vodka and wait for said designer to gulp it down.
Bull
Orange Gatorade and Everclear smile.gif Breakfast of champions.
CanRay
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 12 2011, 08:40 PM) *
Orange Gatorade and Everclear smile.gif Breakfast of champions.

Beer, with a beer chaser.
Bull
I don't actually like beer. Plus, I don;t think I can actually get drunk on beer. Not a high enough alcohol content. I get "full" long before I get drunk. Or even pleasantly buzzed.
ravensmuse
I heard the "event" in New Orleans wasn't even much of an event. But hey, they'll never do oWoD again, so...

My wife gave me the funny eye last night when I said that Gencon was "iffy" for the two of us. Interesting...
CanRay
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 12 2011, 09:18 PM) *
I don't actually like beer. Plus, I don;t think I can actually get drunk on beer. Not a high enough alcohol content. I get "full" long before I get drunk. Or even pleasantly buzzed.

That's because "Beer" in the US is better called "Sex in a Canoe". I mean, even Canadian light beer (*Spits*) would be considered "Malt Liquor" in the US. nyahnyah.gif
Tyro
I'm a wine and liquor drinker anyway. 12 year old Scottish whiskey *drool*

I once had a sip of 19 year old single malt. Heaven.
Bull
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2011, 09:42 PM) *
That's because "Beer" in the US is better called "Sex in a Canoe". I mean, even Canadian light beer (*Spits*) would be considered "Malt Liquor" in the US. nyahnyah.gif

I've tried both Canadian and German Beer. Much like I feel about Coffee, it's not a matter of "finding the right one", it's more that "I just don't like beer".

The closest I can get to stomaching any sort of beer is something like Woodchuck, and well... not actually beer. smile.gif

Also, well... Ork Body Mass plus a natural High Tolerance means that I need an incredibly high Alcohol Percent for it to be worth drinking for the buzz and/or for the drunk. Which is why if I feel like getting liquored up, I don't screw around and head for something 150+ proof, like Bacardi 151 or Everclear. EC & Gatorade is a good but dangerous mix because I usually can;t even taste the alcohol in it, and the Gatorade helps keep me hydrated, and thus avoids hangovers. smile.gif

Anyway, way off topic here, so... Back to thing to do at Gen Con.

Some people are silly and like to game. Not me, I'm too busy and have too much to do to waste time playing games, but... Some people seem to like it wink.gif

Bull
CanRay
OK, we need to get Bull tied to a chair and force him to game. devil.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 13 2011, 02:42 AM) *

Okay, okay. Rabid nationalism aside, this is a myth.

By volume, American beers have just as much alcohol content as Canadian beers. A Budweiser has the same alcohol content as a Labatt or a Molson. nyahnyah.gif

But yes, I'm down for tying Bull down and forcing him to game.

As a pixie.

A pixie Face.

A pixie Face that discriminates against Orks.
CanRay
With a Cyberdeck.

Just because I want to picture a Pixie trying to lug around a Cyberdeck, flying around, dragging on edge on the ground. nyahnyah.gif
Doc Chase
Absolutely.

nezumi
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Apr 13 2011, 10:40 AM) *
By volume, American beers have just as much alcohol content as Canadian beers. A Budweiser has the same alcohol content as a Labatt or a Molson. nyahnyah.gif

Budweiser is actually a German beer now. Coors is American, but also produces Killian's. Samuel Adams is also American. Actually most of the American-owned brewing companies now are micro-brews and are quite good (Dogfish, Anchor Steam and Foggy Bottom are all great to sample, or spend a dinner at DuClaw to really blow your socks off). However, if you're talking about an American Pilsner, yes indeed, that's about as thin as water, and a nice palate cleanser between actual brews.

But Bull's comments stand - the best beers I've had leave me full before they leave me drunk. If your goal is to get smashed, it's probably not the best route. That's why I myself will be sticking to beer, since when meeting (and dare I speculate, touching?) Adam and Rob, I'd rather not be ready to fall asleep.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 13 2011, 04:18 PM) *
Budweiser is actually a German beer now.

I sit not a thousand feet away from where Budweiser is produced, and I can tell you I ain't in Germany.

The effects of the merger of InBev and Anheuser-Busch did not make it a 'German beer' as if by magic. Nothing has changed in regards to the production of the beer. Ther merger occurred so that imported InBev brands now have a robust distribution network in the U.S., and A-B products now have a distribution network across the pond to increase the brand's market share.

I should know, I export it. nyahnyah.gif

Semerkhet
Further off-topic. In many states in the U.S. we are living in a golden age of beer. There are seventeen small-to-mid-size breweries within fifty miles of where I live. My local liquor store is an embarrassment of riches in regard to beer selection. I haven't tasted a beer made by one of the big American breweries in over a decade.

/end derailment

There is a good brewpub right by the convention center in Indy that heavily caters to the GenCon crowd. In fact, overall, Indy does a much better job catering to GenCon attendees than Milwaukee ever did.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Apr 13 2011, 04:43 PM) *
Further off-topic. In many states in the U.S. we are living in a golden age of beer. There are seventeen small-to-mid-size breweries within fifty miles of where I live. My local liquor store is an embarrassment of riches in regard to beer selection. I haven't tasted a beer made by one of the big American breweries in over a decade.

/end derailment

There is a good brewpub right by the convention center in Indy that heavily caters to the GenCon crowd. In fact, overall, Indy does a much better job catering to GenCon attendees than Milwaukee ever did.

/restart derailment

What's your favorite? I prefer ciders, but I don't turn down free beer (anymore).

I liked Indy last year. Liked it enough I've got a hotel room just off the convention center now. Being able to actually stay downtown for the duration is nice!
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Apr 13 2011, 10:49 AM) *
/restart derailment

What's your favorite? I prefer ciders, but I don't turn down free beer (anymore).

I liked Indy last year. Liked it enough I've got a hotel room just off the convention center now. Being able to actually stay downtown for the duration is nice!

My two favorite breweries in southern Wisconsin are:
Furthermore Beer (http://www.furthermorebeer.com/)
and
New Glarus Brewing Co. (http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/)

New Glarus is getting bigger but they don't distribute outside Wisconsin, iirc. At any given time, New Glarus has one or two experimental, limited-run brews going on. Their standard brews are good but I'm almost always picking up one of the limited-run ones.

Furthermore was started a couple years ago by friends of friends out in Spring Green, WI. They have some great beers like the Oscura and Fatty Boombalatty.

As for GenCon, my co-conspirators and I are at the JW Marriott right next to the convention center. We'll likely be sampling local beers on Thursday and Friday night. Saturday night we're running our LARP, so no beer for me. frown.gif
CanRay
People, people, people, please... Let's get back to tying Bull up and forcing him to play.

That's at least on topic. And I want pics as I won't be there, damnit!
Bull
Bah, excuses excuses, CanRay. smile.gif

And I do play occasionally, actually, but rarely. Last year I spent the better part of every day the dealer hall was open running demos. And this year I'll be organizing the events, so... Time is not my friend.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 13 2011, 10:28 AM) *
Bah, excuses excuses, CanRay. smile.gif

And I do play occasionally, actually, but rarely. Last year I spent the better part of every day the dealer hall was open running demos. And this year I'll be organizing the events, so... Time is not my friend.

I'd be curious to hear your anecdotal evidence on the demographics of your demo players. Age range? New to gaming? New to Shadowrun? New to GenCon? Et cetera.
Lindt
QUOTE (DWC @ Mar 24 2011, 02:49 PM) *
My list of things to do at Gencon involves 2 things.

1) Drink heavily with people I don't see very often.

God forbid I make it back out there after I graduate, that will be 1/2 of my total plan. I think Gm games again will be the other half.
BookWyrm
Things to do at GenCon;

Take plenty of digital pictures, escpecially of those in full costume. Make sure you have a back-up memory card for your camera & the batteries are fully charged (or you have replacements handy). Upload pics to your Photobucket for everyone to see.
Grab as much free swag as possible. Get at least 3 of everything (if you plan to keep one set; if not, sell/trade all of it).
Be respectful to the Guests. A little courtesy can go a long way.
Get plenty of pictures of the Catalyst wares at their booth.
Eat smart, but pace yourself. Make note of any & all restroom facilities.
Take enough time to get to the panels/shows/viewings/demos you want to see.
Get plenty of rest. GenCon is M A S S I V E.

When all is done & you're safely back home, do victory dance.
Bull
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Apr 13 2011, 02:31 PM) *
I'd be curious to hear your anecdotal evidence on the demographics of your demo players. Age range? New to gaming? New to Shadowrun? New to GenCon? Et cetera.

Really varied, for the most part. I didn't really keep track of these things, but...

The Demo was a quick and dirty game, played on a small table. We had a handful of old Ral Partha mini's (Some painted, some not, the mini's were a last minute plan) and a small building we were using as a Stuffer Shack. You can see the set up Here. The demos were very short, maybe 10-20 minutes long. I gave a very brief overview of the SR world and what Shadowruns were, then ran a quick "Stuffer Shack" scenario, with a handful of gangers attacking the PCs, keeping it as simple as possible.

A lot of the folks who stopped by were younger, probably early 20's (I'm 36, so... Younger is subjective smile.gif). I'd say that probably 60-70% of those who stopped by were in that age range.

I had a surprising amount of kids. I personally demoed for probably a half dozen kids I'd guess were in the 10-year old range, all of them accompanied by a parent (For which I was very glad, both because Shadowrun is a little more a mature themed game, and because it was good to see a parent being hands on. I would have been completely unsurprised to see parents using demos as brief "babysitter" sessions).

A large percent were new to Shadowrun, though maybe 1/4 of the demos I ran were for older players who'd played earlier editions, hadn't played in years, and wanted to check out 4th ed.

A few were newbies, but were dragged over by experienced players to get an introduction to the game. A couple of these were for newbies that had signed up for ticketed Shadowrun events with their friends, and wanted to get the basics of the game rules before they got to the table. I applauded these players, because despite the games being listed as "Some Experience expected" in the reg books, we frequently get complete newbies that sit down at a game and have to be taught the system, which really slows things down for the others at the table (And sometimes makes it very difficult to get through an entire Missions game in that 3.75 hour block).

At least three times that I know of, someone went right from the demo table to the sales table and bought the SR4A main book. One of those also bought all the core books we had in stock (I think we were out of Street Magic by that time).

A few times I just gave folks an overview. They didn't have teh time (or want to spend the time) bellying up to the table for 15-20 minutes, but were willing to spend 5 minutes listening to the basics and asking questions.

The miniatures helped. I had a few people stop by just to check out the minis, and I suspect that Iron Wind Metals got a few sales out of the deal as people were asking where tehy could find SR minis. Since Mike at IWM and Brent, CGL's art director (Not to mention me and Jason) have been trying to get a new mini's line going, I'm sure the interest helped that along a little. If you're at GC this year, be sure to ask at the booth about Miniatures. Show interest, and maybe we can finally get the process rolling.

We had a fairly constant stream of players for the demos. I ran mostly nonstop (With short breaks here and there) all day Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. ABout 22 hours of Demos all told (And standing the whole time. Lemme tell you, whoever had the bright idea to do standing demos needs to be shot. My knees ached for a week after the con). During that time, there were only a couple instances where I went longer than 5 minutes without someone at the table. Friday I had off to see the dealer hall and be at the CGL seminar, but the demo table looked pretty full all day there as well.

All in all, they were a big success. Simple, quick demos were enough to give folks a taste for things, at the least. This year we're supplementing the booth demos with full fledged 4 hour Introductory games you can register for, something to give anyone interested a way to sit down and really learn teh game a bit more in depth than a 15 minute demo can provide.

Bull
nezumi
I suspect my wife will be bringing her camera. She's a professional photographer (http://landmhewitt.com/ ) so, assuming I can convince her to lug along her heavy camera, expect some very awesome pictures.
CanRay
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 14 2011, 08:28 AM) *
I suspect my wife will be bringing her camera. She's a professional photographer (http://landmhewitt.com/ ) so, assuming I can convince her to lug along her heavy camera, expect some very awesome pictures.

Or a slightly lighter camera, which might be easier to convince, and there would be only excellent pictures. nyahnyah.gif
Bigity
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2011, 09:42 PM) *

This. Don't drink crap US beer.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Apr 13 2011, 11:43 AM) *

If you walk over to New York St. and N. Delaware St. and hit Massachusetts Ave. (it's within walking distance of the Convention Center) there are lots of great local pubs. The ones near the Con are upscale chains.
Tyro
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 14 2011, 08:29 AM) *
crap US beer.

Kinda redundant, no?
CanRay
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 14 2011, 10:29 AM) *
This. Don't drink crap US beer.

QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 14 2011, 03:42 PM) *
Kinda redundant, no?

Apparently, there are some good US Beers.

'Course, I'm a heathen as a beer drinker anyhow. So what do I know?
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 14 2011, 01:55 PM) *

I've heard some American microbrews are good, but I don't drink beer as a general rule, so I'm just working from hearsay.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 14 2011, 09:55 PM) *

Oh aye, there are plenty. But I won't let that get in the way of beer elitism. nyahnyah.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 12 2011, 09:50 PM) *
I'm a wine and liquor drinker anyway. 12 year old Scottish whiskey *drool*

I once had a sip of 19 year old single malt. Heaven.

I'm studying abroad in Edinburgh this summer. I plan on leaving all my clothes there, so I can bring home my suitcase stuffed full of liquor. I've got a half-assed plan to maybe keep some of it long enough to bring to Gencon with me.
nezumi
How common is steampunk cosplay (wife asks)? Will she stand out among crowds of geeks in black?
JM Hardy
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 15 2011, 09:58 AM) *
How common is steampunk cosplay (wife asks)? Will she stand out among crowds of geeks in black?

Plenty common. There are more people out of costume than in costume, but there are enough costumes so that I'd imagine anyone wearing one wouldn't feel overly out of place. And steampunk has certainly become more common at the con in recent years.

Jason H.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 15 2011, 09:58 AM) *

/start shameless self-promotion

Speaking of steampunk cosplay:

I and my co-conspirators at the newly formed Pamean Games LLC are introducing our new steampunk role-playing game, Brass & Steel, at this year's GenCon. We'll be running six connected tabletop sessions, on Thursday and Friday afternoon, whose characters and plots all feed into a 40 person steampunk LARP on Saturday evening. One of our features is seamless transition between tabletop and LARP gameplay. A webpage and facebook page are near to publishing.

We highly encourage costumes for the LARP event. We'll have a photographer taking pictures of participants in costume, the best of which we plan on integrating into our hardcover rulebook (with their permission, of course).

Meanwhile the Gencon Events are:
Tabletop:
RPG1120121 Life in the Clouds – The RMS Aethersprite Thu @ 1:00 PM Location: Crowne Plaza :: Pennsylvania Stn A Cost: $4
RPG1120122 The Bosporus Six Thu @ 1:00 PM Location: Crowne Plaza :: Pennsylvania Stn A Cost: $4
RPG1120124 Dreamers in the Queen of Cities Thu @ 1:00 PM Location: Crowne Plaza :: Pennsylvania Stn A Cost: $4
RPG1120123 Her Majesty's Most Special Constables Fri @ 1:00 PM Location: Crowne Plaza :: Pennsylvania Stn A Cost: $4
RPG1120125 Circle of the Silver Crescent Fri @ 1:00 PM Location: Crowne Plaza :: Pennsylvania Stn A Cost: $4
RPG1120126 The Sacred Conclave Fri @ 1:00 PM Location: Crowne Plaza :: Pennsylvania Stn A Cost: $4

LARP:
LRP1120127 The Consular Ball Sat @ 6:00 PM 5 hrs Location: Union Station :: Southern & Erie Cost: $6

/end shameless self-promotion
I won't re-post this in its own topic because this is a Shadowrun board. smile.gif
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 13 2011, 08:26 PM) *
Really varied, for the most part. I didn't really keep track of these things, but...
<snip>
Bull

Thanks for posting your experiences, Bull. I'm glad to hear there were many young people participating in the demos. I'd also love to see a new miniatures line for Shadowrun.
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 15 2011, 08:58 AM) *

There were plenty of folks who's total costume effort was: black top-hat + goggles, which doesn't really say steampunk to me.

That said, there were lots of costumes of all different makes and models, if her costume is GOOD she'll get plenty of attention and requests for pictures, but it's not like she's going to stick-out like a sore-thumb.
Bull
QUOTE (capt.pantsless @ Apr 15 2011, 11:59 AM) *
There were plenty of folks who's total costume effort was: black top-hat + goggles, which doesn't really say steampunk to me.

That said, there were lots of costumes of all different makes and models, if her costume is GOOD she'll get plenty of attention and requests for pictures, but it's not like she's going to stick-out like a sore-thumb.

Yeah. The one thing about "Steam Punk" is tat, somehow, plain Victorian-era clothing is suddenly a Steampunk costume. It's annoying, because that's a zero-effort costume, really.

The other common thing, besides goggles (Which you can find at about a dozen booths at the con) are Nerf Guns painted brass. Usually the Nerf Maverick.

Last year though, there was someone who was Wheelchair bound (at least, I assume so, as they were in it all weekend long). They decorated their chair up into a steampunk looking chair that was halfway well done.

Anyway, like all costume efforts, results will vary. Some are very well done. Some (like my own efforts) are completely half-assed and lame. And a few are Top-hats and goggles, or cat-ears, or a simple pair of vamp fangs. And they are beyond lame smile.gif

Bull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012