Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things to do at Gencon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
lunavoco
My wife bought us tickets for gencon this year. Based on previous year's experiences what kind of SR related events take place? Do they host games? How does that work? I've never been to a con this size.
Doc Chase
Catalyst will have a booth full of merch, and there will be games run all over the hotels. Registration for events should be opening soon.

Mmm, dealer's room. Mmmmm......
Bull
We're going to have something like 90 or so events running this year. Events include:

Shadowrun Missions -- The Official Shadowrun Living Campaign. We'll have 21 different adventures running.
Welcome to the 6th World -- Introductory games for Shadowrun. Learn the background, play a scenario to learn the rules, and make your own character that you can take to play the Missions events with.
Shadowrun Scramble -- A unique Shadowrun Missions event that is part tabletop and part LARP. Costumes are encouraged.
GM Bootcamp -- This year we're featuring Basic Training and Advanced Training. Got questions about the game, the rules, or how to deal with unruly players? Come talk to our panel of expert, experienced Shadowrun GMs!
Who's Run is it Anyway? -- A hilarious comedy event where a GM and a small group of players run through a short adventure dictated by audience participation.
Shadowrun Tournament -- A two night event where players play a team pregenerated characters, and each team runs through the same adventure. Teams are scored based on problem solving, rules knowledge, and roleplaying, with prizes awarded to the top teams. This years Tournament ill be "Legendary" smile.gif
What's Up With Shadowrun? -- A seminar where the we talk about the current state of affairs with Shadowrun, announce upcoming product, answer questions, and get to meet the fans. There's also a What's Up WIth Catalyst seminar for general CGL info, and WUW Battletech for those of you who like giant robots.

The Battletech team is also running a giant pile of events nearly nonstop all weekend as well, there will be some A Time of War RPG events (The new BT RPG), Leviathans games (CGLs upcoming Mini's game about flying Battleships in WW1), plus demos and events of CGLs board and card games.

When Event Reg goes live, sign up for events right away, as most sell out really fast. However, if you miss out on any games you want, bring Generic Tickets with you and we'll do our best to accommodate. There are usually games where Registered Tickets don't show up, and we try to have a floating GM on hand if get enough overflow (though Table Space can sometimes be an issue... We'll be running 12 tables nonstop most of the day, which will likely fill our event room).

Plus, be sure to say hello and introduce yourself (And mention your Dumpshock handle, or better yet, write it on your badge! Just don't clip your badge to your belt and expect anyone to know your name... I feel really weird staring at someones crotch trying to read their badge wink.gif)

Bull
Doc Chase
I know I'll be at Who's Run again, and I think the team is shooting for the Scramble this year, as well.
Semerkhet
I was at the GM bootcamp last year. Bootcamp is a good description, as it is aimed mostly at people new to GM'ing Shadowrun. Though I didn't get much out of it, I would imagine it to be a useful two hours for newbie GMs.

Also, I hope the Missions get either a different room or some partitions this year. If they don't, then woe to those who get stuck with eight players and a soft-spoken GM with an accent, like I did.

If you're new to Missions, do take the time to create a character beforehand. Believe me, you don't want to be running one of the archetypes out of the book when the rest of the table has characters min/maxed to within an inch of their lives.
Doc Chase
Heh, the EP game I was in was like that. Three guys in warforms and me with my space octopus.
Xahn Borealis
There's no UK version, is there? No way I can afford to fly to the States.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 24 2011, 01:56 PM) *
There's no UK version, is there? No way I can afford to fly to the States.

What about a boat?
DWC
My list of things to do at Gencon involves 2 things.

1) Drink heavily with people I don't see very often.

2) Play stuff I can't play elsewhere, like Shadowrun Missions. And for the record, some of the characters are way past tweaked to within an inch of their lives. I'd say a spark plug gapping tool is just about right, though the wacky TR system of Season 3 really encouraged that arms race.

Oh, and the third thing that I almost forgot.

Minor league baseball. I try to get to an Indianapolis Indians game at some point during the weekend, just to get some sun and fresh air. Tickets are cheap (9 to 14 bucks for an adult), beer cups are big, and the park is right next to the convention center. This year, they've got a 4 game home stand that spans the convention.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Mar 24 2011, 07:27 PM) *
What about a boat?

Nope. Not happening. I remember looking GenCon up once and there was a UK version at some university. I guess RPGs aren't that big over here. frown.gif
CanRay
frown.gif

I'm hoping I can get to GenCon next year or the year after.
Bull
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Mar 24 2011, 01:20 PM) *
I was at the GM bootcamp last year. Bootcamp is a good description, as it is aimed mostly at people new to GM'ing Shadowrun. Though I didn't get much out of it, I would imagine it to be a useful two hours for newbie GMs.

That's actually why we're doing 2 Bootcamps this year... The "Advanced Training" is for non-newbs. smile.gif

Also, I hope the Missions get either a different room or some partitions this year. If they don't, then woe to those who get stuck with eight players and a soft-spoken GM with an accent, like I did.

Supposedly we'll have a room in the new JW Marriott hotel. It's directly connected to the convention center, so our games will be a good deal closer than the last couple years (yay!) However, I have no diea what the layout will be like.

There's a limited amount we can do about the overcrowding, unfortunately. We scheduled more events this year, so hopefully that will help a little, but... We're going to end up having 12 tables running for the majority of the day. If we can get enough GMs, I'm hoping we can find ways to avoid overfilling the tables beyond 6 players (Like having a couple Standby GMs who can take a group off somewhere to run a game for them, if we can find room anywhere), I don;t want to turn anyone away, but... Yeah, there were more than a couple complaints last year about having 8+ people at a table and having trouble hearing or even getting involved much.

If you're new to Missions, do take the time to create a character beforehand. Believe me, you don't want to be running one of the archetypes out of the book when the rest of the table has characters min/maxed to within an inch of their lives.

I encourage not min/maxing, just because I think it's usually more fun and interesting, but... <shrug> I also say this as someone with an Missions Ork Street Sammy who was a bit of a gun twink, so... Heh. The best characters I've ever played or GMed for were often characters who were poorly built to start (You should have seen how useless Bull the Ork Decker was when he was originally created! smile.gif).

But either way, you'll have more fun if you bring your own character. That's actually one reason we'll be doing the "Welcome to the 6th World" games too, to allow people a place to sit downa nd create a character. The GMs will be using the Toolkit and PACKS, but still, it will allow you to customize a character to play.

(And if anyone's interested in GMing, see my thread in the convention forum! Free Badge, partial hotel comp, T-shirts, free product, all kinds of good rewards for GMs smile.gif )

Bull
CanRay
Here's a better idea, run the character by Bull online before the game. nyahnyah.gif That way if he doesn't like it, he can take it and rip it to pieces in front of your eyes and burn it in a pile while dancing around it.

Then hand you one he made himself for someone who did such a thing. You'll probably have a kevlar-lined pink tu-tu with combat boots that have lime green laces and a Ares Slivergun with barely any ammo, and be happy you got that much. vegm.gif

Well... That's what I would do. nyahnyah.gif I'd probably get kicked out a few minutes later for the fire hazard, however.

Now I'm wishing I could go this year, and see how The Accountant From Hell performs... Either him or the Borderline-Sociopathic Troll that names all his guns and sleeps with them in rotation like his own personal harem that I still have to make.
Belvidere
Awwe, you won't be making it CanRay? I've heard so much about The Account From Hell, I wanted to see him in action. Maybe at the Scramble. grinbig.gif
Method
One of these years...
CanRay
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 24 2011, 07:07 PM) *
Awwe, you won't be making it CanRay? I've heard so much about The Account From Hell, I wanted to see him in action. Maybe at the Scramble. grinbig.gif

Maybe in a few years. frown.gif
scarius
you can be like most australian and hope that it ends up happening this year (even though its been cancelled) but because your not, i would just try to have fun
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 24 2011, 02:08 PM) *
Nope. Not happening. I remember looking GenCon up once and there was a UK version at some university. I guess RPGs aren't that big over here. frown.gif

I attended a "Euro GenCon" in 1993 while I was stationed in Europe. The actual convention was at a resort in Sussex somewhere. Sadly Google tells me that GenCon UK stopped after 2003.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Mar 24 2011, 12:50 PM) *
Heh, the EP game I was in was like that. Three guys in warforms and me with my space octopus.

Makes me glad that the EP game I was in had pre-gen characters. That game was a lot of fun, and Posthuman has just released that particular scenario as a pdf adventure.

Speaking of pre-generated characters. Last year's GenCon convinced me that pre-gen is almost always the way to go at conventions. I've been to about twenty GenCons since 1984 and I finally realized that *every single one* of my favorite con games over the years was run with characters provided by the person(s) running the event. My all-time favorite has been the long-running Call of Cthulhu Novus Ordo Seclorum tournament, which would simply not work if players were allowed to bring their own characters.

I realize that Missions is not configured to run with pre-gens but I hope that Catalyst takes the time to run some scenarios with characters provided that actually matter to the plot.

As a corollary, I've noticed that people tend to do better role-playing when they are handed a character with a short bullet list of goals, personality traits, and perhaps a dark secret. Not universally true, of course, but a definite anecdotal trend I've noticed in nearly three decades of gaming.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 24 2011, 07:05 PM) *
Then hand you one he made himself for someone who did such a thing. You'll probably have a kevlar-lined pink tu-tu with combat boots that have lime green laces and a Ares Slivergun with barely any ammo, and be happy you got that much. vegm.gif

That's how Bull dresses for GenCon. Pointy ears and Mohawks too.
Belvidere
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Mar 25 2011, 11:42 AM) *
That's how Bull dresses for GenCon. Pointy ears and Mohawks too.

No way Chummer. Bull ain't no Dandelion Eater! grinbig.gif
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 25 2011, 09:53 AM) *
No way Chummer. Bull ain't no Dandelion Eater! grinbig.gif

Umm, orks and trolls have pointed ears as well. spin.gif
Belvidere
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Mar 25 2011, 11:57 AM) *
Umm, orks and trolls have pointed ears as well. spin.gif

Yeah, but no self respectin Ork is going to wear a tutu! rotfl.gif
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 25 2011, 10:13 AM) *
Yeah, but no self respectin Ork is going to wear a tutu! rotfl.gif

But if you see an eight foot tall troll with cyberarms wearing a tutu, what exactly are you going to say?
CanRay
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Mar 25 2011, 11:15 AM) *
But if you see an eight foot tall troll with cyberarms wearing a tutu, what exactly are you going to say?

"Shall I validate your parking?"
Bull
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Mar 25 2011, 11:28 AM) *
Makes me glad that the EP game I was in had pre-gen characters. That game was a lot of fun, and Posthuman has just released that particular scenario as a pdf adventure.

Speaking of pre-generated characters. Last year's GenCon convinced me that pre-gen is almost always the way to go at conventions. I've been to about twenty GenCons since 1984 and I finally realized that *every single one* of my favorite con games over the years was run with characters provided by the person(s) running the event. My all-time favorite has been the long-running Call of Cthulhu Novus Ordo Seclorum tournament, which would simply not work if players were allowed to bring their own characters.

I realize that Missions is not configured to run with pre-gens but I hope that Catalyst takes the time to run some scenarios with characters provided that actually matter to the plot.

As a corollary, I've noticed that people tend to do better role-playing when they are handed a character with a short bullet list of goals, personality traits, and perhaps a dark secret. Not universally true, of course, but a definite anecdotal trend I've noticed in nearly three decades of gaming.

WHen I used to head up Convention Organizing back for FASA and FanPro, before Missions came around, we used to do One Shots. And the One Shots usually had pregenerated characters to go with them. At some point after I took a break from that, they moved away from that, and the last couple years the One Shot (non-Mission) adventures have all mostly used the Archetypes (Which I personally disliked a lot, but it did save a lot of time and effort on the GMs side of things, I guess).

WIth the shift toward focusing on Missions more, we mostly did away with the one shots this year, replacing them completely with the CMP Convention Mission Pack adventures (Which are basically similar to the One Shots... Single, self contained adventures that you don't need to be familiar with the current Missions campaign story to play in).

The Tournament still utilizes Pregenerated Characters though. This years team should be fun. smile.gif

Bull

Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 25 2011, 04:17 PM) *
"Shall I validate your parking?"

Is that what they're calling it nowadays? I can't keep up with all this slang.
redwulf25
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Mar 25 2011, 11:15 AM) *

Whatever he wants me to say? Unless I'm packing something that can take down a troll in one shot so he doesn't rip my arms off and shove them up my ass.
CanRay

Damn, I wish I had kept my poetry skills up. Now I want to write a Filk Song, "Things To Do At GenCon When You're Dead".
ggodo
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 25 2011, 06:58 PM) *

Damn, I wish I had kept my poetry skills up. Now I want to write a Filk Song, "Things To Do At GenCon When You're Dead".

I've been thinking about that the whole time this thread's been here.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 26 2011, 01:58 AM) *
Filk Song

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 25 2011, 08:54 PM) *
I can't keep up with all this slang.

CanRay
A Filk Song (Originally named from a typographical error) is a parody song with Sci-Fi or Fantasy meaning. Originally, they were done in the style of Folk Songs (And if I have to explain that...), but not run the whole gamut of genres and subjects, sometimes including original work. (Firefly's intro song could be considered "Filk".).

It's been around since the '50s, and is a major part of Sci-Fi/Fantasy Conventions.
Xahn Borealis
Like in the Music to Orkish Ears thread?
CanRay
Don't know that thread. I think this is something you have to see/experience for yourself. Luckily, there's YouTube. biggrin.gif
Xahn Borealis
Luckily, there's handy links to point the way.
CanRay
Community projects, that's why I couldn't find it. Search was set too narrow.
Xahn Borealis
Patch your Browse program, maybe?
CanRay
Nah. KEBKAC Error. No amount of patching fixes that problem.
Xahn Borealis
Only error I know is CBA. Can't Be Arsed.
CanRay
PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.
Xahn Borealis
So what's KEBKAC? Knight Errant..... Something Something?
CanRay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 26 2011, 11:58 AM) *
PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

KEBKAC is a typo.

PEBKAC is an "Error Code" that was developed to ensure Techs like myself didn't insult the idi... I mean, less computer literate.
Xahn Borealis
I've got it!

Knight Errant Becomes Knight Ass-Clowns.

Also, I love that you've capitalised Tech, like it's a class or something. biggrin.gif
Raven the Trickster
You mean it's not?

On the tech scale there are three main points, Techs, Norms and Luddites, with most people ranging on a sliding scale in between.
CanRay
Tech is an occupation, a trade, a lifestyle, a title. Like a Soldier, only we're not allowed to shoot back.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 26 2011, 08:02 PM) *
Tech is an occupation, a trade, a lifestyle, a title. Like a Soldier, only we're not allowed to shoot back.

Along with Medics, Scouts, Spies....
nezumi
So my wife has also decided that I should see sunlight now and again, so we'll both be in attendance (possibly with the little trolls in tow).

How early do you reserve a seat to participate in events?
Semerkhet
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 11 2011, 01:35 PM) *
So my wife has also decided that I should see sunlight now and again, so we'll both be in attendance (possibly with the little trolls in tow).

How early do you reserve a seat to participate in events?

Badges have been on sale since January. Event registration starts on May 1st. Be warned, online registration is a mess for several hours after it opens as thousands of people overload GenCon's servers trying to get into this or that coveted event. You can always purchase Generic Tickets and show up to an event hoping they'll have a no-show but then you leave yourself open to the possibility of having to run around to different locations trying to get into events.

http://www.gencon.com/2011/indy/default.aspx
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Apr 11 2011, 07:47 PM) *
Badges have been on sale since January. Event registration starts on May 1st. Be warned, online registration is a mess for several hours after it opens as thousands of people overload GenCon's servers trying to get into this or that coveted event. You can always purchase Generic Tickets and show up to an event hoping they'll have a no-show but then you leave yourself open to the possibility of having to run around to different locations trying to get into events.

http://www.gencon.com/2011/indy/default.aspx

Genconreg is unveiling a new site that will (hopefully) handle the traffic.
CanRay
Really, really, really wishing I could go this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012