Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR comes a step nearer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sixgun_Sage
Technically true Sengir, but in brewing the hooch it takes on a little of the flavor o'everything it touches so it does subtly alter the end product. Not bad, just differant.
CanRay
Gold would be better, no flavor transfer. But that's a bit costly.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 27 2011, 12:46 PM) *
What that says is that PA should run the liquor stores like a business. That is, the profit goes to the state, rather than putting a tax ON TOP OF the sale price and the profit vanishing into the ether.
('Cause I can tell you, liquor prices are unlikely to go down if the state privatizes the stores)

As I heard part of an interview this morning with Patrick Stapleton, the PLCB chairman, a few things:

1) PA does take in the profit and the taxes to the general fund, and sums to (IIRC) a little over $200,000,000 a year.
2) Bringing wine or liquor across the border from Delaware or New Jersey (any state, actually) is illegal and can cost you your car.

QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Mar 27 2011, 01:02 PM) *
My brother in law takes fragging orders to fill when he goes on the monthly booze run. I'm sure if he counted how much change he is keeping he'd actually come out ahead.

Until he gets stopped and law enforcement finds the wine and confiscates his car.
Article noting the illegality (author of this article was also in on the interview this morning).
Losing your car may be over the top, but it was a story was from Patrick Stapleton who said that on his first day as the chairman of the PLCB he got a call from a state legislator saying that two of his constituents had tried to come into the state with some wine and had to walk home.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 28 2011, 03:09 PM) *
As I heard part of an interview this morning with Patrick Stapleton, the PLCB chairman, a few things:

1) PA does take in the profit and the taxes to the general fund, and sums to (IIRC) a little over $200,000,000 a year.
2) Bringing wine or liquor across the border from Delaware or New Jersey (any state, actually) is illegal and can cost you your car.

Until he gets stopped and law enforcement finds the wine and confiscates his car.
Article noting the illegality (author of this article was also in on the interview this morning).
Losing your car may be over the top, but it was a story was from Patrick Stapleton who said that on his first day as the chairman of the PLCB he got a call from a state legislator saying that two of his constituents had tried to come into the state with some wine and had to walk home.

Bootlegging is making a comeback. Nice.
CanRay
All we need is a T-Bird to do the Bootlegging SR-Style!
Sixgun_Sage
Consider the higher profit levels the state would see if their prices were not so jacked up people are willing to risk their car for booze, Draco. Any government policy which compels people to break the law is unjust.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Mar 28 2011, 10:50 AM) *
Consider the higher profit levels the state would see if their prices were not so jacked up people are willing to risk their car for booze, Draco. Any government policy which compels people to break the law is unjust.

Delaware doesn't tax their booze, so it's hard for the state to price competitively with Delaware.
CanRay
There's no justice, there's just us.

It's the LEGAL system, not the JUSTICE system. frown.gif Unjust it might be, but it's still the law.

That said, why do you think that Prohibition didn't work? nyahnyah.gif And why Marijuana is such a major business despite being illegal? (British Columbia's major unreported export!).
Sengir
QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Mar 28 2011, 02:58 PM) *
Technically true Sengir, but in brewing the hooch it takes on a little of the flavor o'everything it touches so it does subtly alter the end product. Not bad, just differant.

Call me philistine, but I could never tell the difference, same story with mead from plastic or glass vats (as long as the plastic is alcohol resistant, obviously) wink.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 28 2011, 04:52 PM) *
Delaware doesn't tax their booze, so it's hard for the state to price competitively with Delaware.

They can have the profit or the tax, IMO. It's not hard for me to find out what wholesalers are paying for beer in any state. nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Mar 28 2011, 12:47 PM) *
They can have the profit or the tax, IMO. It's not hard for me to find out what wholesalers are paying for beer in any state. nyahnyah.gif

The PLCB doesn't control beer. wink.gif

Anyway, like I said, I have no opinion on this issue, I just think the reasons Harrisburg has for selling aren't logical.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 28 2011, 05:58 PM) *
The PLCB doesn't control beer. wink.gif

Anyway, like I said, I have no opinion on this issue, I just think the reasons Harrisburg has for selling aren't logical.

True, but I can get a decent enough idea of what the taxes for such are in any state. nyahnyah.gif

Although now I'm curious as to what the interstate commerce laws have to say about moving alcohomahol from state to state for personal use.
CanRay
Not sure if it's the same in the US, but Cigarette Smuggling is big business on/from Indian Reserves.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 28 2011, 07:06 PM) *
Not sure if it's the same in the US, but Cigarette Smuggling is big business on/from Indian Reserves.

Still is. Big Tobacco, Big Pharma, and now it seems Small Liquor. nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
"At least the little guy still has Moonshining and Rum Running."
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Mar 28 2011, 01:03 PM) *
Although now I'm curious as to what the interstate commerce laws have to say about moving alcohomahol from state to state for personal use.

In PA you cannot bring alcohol into the state which was not purchased in PA (exceptions being that if you're a distributor or other licensed person).

Its in the article I linked.
SecGuard
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 28 2011, 04:37 PM) *
All we need is a T-Bird to do the Bootlegging SR-Style!

Well it'd make the run to France easier.

On the Privitisation issue there was fun in London recently when the company that owns the majority of the fire engines went bust leaving the city authorities panicing over how the fire brigade would respond to alarms.
CanRay

I want to be a Repo Man in London now.
Draco18s
A friend of mine took a job as a night time repo man (he'd just undergone major surgery on his vocal chords and his co-op was coming up, so he got a job). His coworkers called him Silent Pete (his name was not Pete).
Sengir
QUOTE (SecGuard @ Mar 28 2011, 09:38 PM) *
Well it'd make the run to France easier.

Just make sure your haul exceeds the crew's duty free allowance...would be really embarrassing to get caught "smuggling" something completely legal biggrin.gif

/me is glad that the only thing he needs from abroad are deposit-free beer cans for the festival season
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012