Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VR Hacking in an AR World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Epicedion
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 30 2011, 04:33 PM) *
Eh. Designing a commlink that can't be sent into meltdown mode is a fairly doable engineering challenge for 2070s tech levels.

Maybe, maybe not. After all, it's probably got enough juice to send your higher brain functions a kilometer or more away in real time.
Saint Sithney
Maybe they could develop something like the pattern wipes that modern hard drives use?
They blast the processor or the data storage with a series of calculations/patterns which heat and cool different parts of the chip in such a way as to encourage crystallization reactions inside the chip, diminishing it's processing power and eventually turning it to worthless slag.

Also there's firmware to be destroyed. You could brick a link that way. Maybe it could be reset or repaired, but that hacker won't be coming back any time soon.
sabs
Given how cheap an sr4a SOTA commlink is, the threat of gray ice seems pretty cool.

Worse comes to worse, you lose 80K worth of hardware
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (sabs @ Mar 30 2011, 04:56 PM) *
Given how cheap an sr4a SOTA commlink is, the threat of gray ice seems pretty cool.

Wchich tends to suck when it is the Corporation's 'Links or Nexi.
Faraday
QUOTE (sabs @ Mar 30 2011, 02:56 PM) *

Unless you have an implanted commlink.

Then you get to enjoy some implant surgery on the top.
Belvidere
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 30 2011, 11:45 PM) *
Unless you have an implanted commlink.

Then you get to enjoy some implant surgery on the top.

I can't ever understand why somebody gets a comm implanted. It just doesnt seem worth it..
ravensoracle
What about using your response as a health bar against programs that use similar rules to Nuke only that the response damage is permanent and requires the chip to be repaired or replaced. So like Blackout and Black Hammer, you now have Nuke and Fallout.
Faraday
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 30 2011, 07:03 PM) *
I can't ever understand why somebody gets a comm implanted. It just doesnt seem worth it..

Get a betaware or delta version and they'll almost never find it without doing some exploratory surgery. It's something up your sleeve. (Well, hidden in your skull.)

Also, style points.
Yerameyahu
Ha, oh boy, that's ungodly expensive (thinking about the above ideas). :/ "Okay, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?"
Belvidere
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 31 2011, 12:55 AM) *
Get a betaware or delta version and they'll almost never find it without doing some exploratory surgery. It's something up your sleeve. (Well, hidden in your skull.)

Also, style points.

Style points for an unseen commlink in your brain? indifferent.gif
And it's pretty easy to find it when they detect hidden nodes after they've strip searched you, and now they've realized you've get some expensive tech in your brain. And they'll probably want it.
Ascalaphus
I think all techniques that detect a technomancer would also detect a delta implant commlink...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 30 2011, 11:33 PM) *
Eh. Designing a commlink that can't be sent into meltdown mode is a fairly doable engineering challenge for 2070s tech levels.

But how will that affect the profit margins of the AAAs?
sabs
Not true, Technomancer can shut himself down. He would be unfindable except to another Technomancer. The Hacker could shutdown his internal link's signal, but he would still show up on a MAD scanner, or on x-rays.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 31 2011, 06:44 PM) *
But how will that affect the profit margins of the AAAs?

I think there's a market for cheap commlinks for lusers, and also a market for good commlinks for professionals. "Our X isn't vulnerable to that" is a good selling point when you're talking to security professionals.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 31 2011, 07:57 PM) *
I think there's a market for cheap commlinks for lusers, and also a market for good commlinks for professionals. "Our X isn't vulnerable to that" is a good selling point when you're talking to security professionals.

Meaning it would be a hardening addon for x nuyen pr rating point wink.gif

The deck rules had such a hardening option, iirc.
LonePaladin
How about the option to hardwire certain programs and/or agents into a certain commlink? Agents wouldn't be able to operate in other nodes, but having an always-on agent running Analyze or doing dynamic signal encryption -- especially if it could be done without counting as a running program -- might be a good selling point for some people.

A hardwired agent might even be able to exceed the 'link's normal limit (though the Optimization option probably handles this fine). Something like an auto-encrypter having its own processor so it can literally run in the background, and have a higher rating than the rest of the system.

"Buy the Hermes Konekt, with the new AndroSphinx chip! It watches out for hackers, so you don't have to!"
Yerameyahu
Like a Fetch module? smile.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (LonePaladin @ Apr 1 2011, 12:06 AM) *
How about the option to hardwire certain programs and/or agents into a certain commlink? Agents wouldn't be able to operate in other nodes, but having an always-on agent running Analyze or doing dynamic signal encryption -- especially if it could be done without counting as a running program -- might be a good selling point for some people.

A hardwired agent might even be able to exceed the 'link's normal limit (though the Optimization option probably handles this fine). Something like an auto-encrypter having its own processor so it can literally run in the background, and have a higher rating than the rest of the system.

"Buy the Hermes Konekt, with the new AndroSphinx chip! It watches out for hackers, so you don't have to!"

Makes me think of action replay and other such modules for the C64 and similar.

Now that could make bank systems scary, having a dedicated military grade agent doing continual encryption of things from a dedicated chip...

And yes, the fetch module would be a nice basis. Hell, now i am angry that they did not make the fetch concept more modular.
Yerameyahu
*shrug*. To me, it's all but identical to running an agent on the commlink. For Joe Nobody, it might be useful, but my runners already *have* good commlinks, and we all know that the Response Degradation rules are a wristslap.
sabs
are they even a wristslap?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 30 2011, 10:03 PM) *
Why not put it in a cyberlimb. Yeah, it's just as expensive, but you don't need to get surgery to upgrade. Open up the cyberlimb, replace the components, and off you go.

Now for why I did it for the character I wrote up... style. Besides, this is cyberpunk, not just punk.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 31 2011, 12:57 AM) *
I think all techniques that detect a technomancer would also detect a delta implant commlink...

Only if you are transmitting. A Technomancer cannot help but transmit unless the Consciously suppress the ability. An implanterd Comlink can be turned off with little to no thought at all.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (sabs @ Mar 31 2011, 11:49 AM) *
Not true, Technomancer can shut himself down. He would be unfindable except to another Technomancer. The Hacker could shutdown his internal link's signal, but he would still show up on a MAD scanner, or on x-rays.

Still need 5 hits to see that Delta Ware Implantred 'link. Without it, you no see it...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 31 2011, 05:50 PM) *
Why not put it in a cyberlimb. Yeah, it's just as expensive, but you don't need to get surgery to upgrade. Open up the cyberlimb, replace the components, and off you go.

Now for why I did it for the character I wrote up... style. Besides, this is cyberpunk, not just punk.

Style Trumps all... I have 4 implanted Comlinks in My Cyberlogician, all Delta Grade at this point. Yes, It was crazy expensive, but there you go.
Yerameyahu
Psh. Total waste. biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 1 2011, 06:47 AM) *
Psh. Total waste. biggrin.gif

Just Money... And a SMALL bit of essence. Besides, My Cyber Logician Rocks...

smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 1 2011, 07:05 AM) *
Style Trumps all... I have 4 implanted Comlinks in My Cyberlogician, all Delta Grade at this point. Yes, It was crazy expensive, but there you go.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005590
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 1 2011, 08:13 AM) *

?????? wobble.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 1 2011, 09:21 AM) *
?????? wobble.gif

"Always keep extra computers on you."
I'd have dug back and found the one where Jade was wearing her 14 computers, but I didn't feel like working that hard.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 1 2011, 08:27 AM) *
"Always keep extra computers on you."
I'd have dug back and found the one where Jade was wearing her 14 computers, but I didn't feel like working that hard.

Gotcha... Makes Sense... biggrin.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 1 2011, 07:05 AM) *

I assume you have other delta 'ware in your character? If so, then Cluster them together and run IC and other fun things on them. Like a free commlink, but can run more programs.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 1 2011, 10:59 AM) *
I assume you have other delta 'ware in your character? If so, then Cluster them together and run IC and other fun things on them. Like a free commlink, but can run more programs.

I do indeed...
AS for Programs runable, I currently have 24 programs running, with 4 of those being Various versions of IC (and their payloads).
CanRay
Well, storyline wise, the only character I have with an Implanted CommLink is Jon "Money" Johnson, who keeps his Shadow Contacts and Programs on it, and usually has it off until he needs it for a job, using another CommLink for his more legitimate, legal existence.

He already had some Headware Memory for the same job earlier, so it wasn't like he was losing anything anyhow. His implanted 'link is a very custom design running an almost unique OS.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 1 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Well, storyline wise, the only character I have with an Implanted CommLink is Jon "Money" Johnson, who keeps his Shadow Contacts and Programs on it, and usually has it off until he needs it for a job, using another CommLink for his more legitimate, legal existence.

He already had some Headware Memory for the same job earlier, so it wasn't like he was losing anything anyhow. His implanted 'link is a very custom design running an almost unique OS.

Yeah, "Nexus," My Cyberlogician, is the only character I have currently that has an Implanted set of "Links. They are ALL highly customized, as is his entire suite of 'ware.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (sabs @ Mar 31 2011, 03:41 PM) *
are they even a wristslap?

Losing an effective Response point due to overloading is like losing a Reaction point due to over-armoring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012