Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost killed a character Saturday night
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
toturi
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 14 2011, 09:35 AM) *
There are a few ways to do this:
  1. This power prevents normal environmental accidents and hazards. I'm pretty sure cooking off a grenade for too long doesn't fall into that category. In fact, most likely glitches I can think of don't fall into that category.
  2. Put some mana static in the mix so the spirit is no longer viable. The players may have forgotten how bad glitches can be at this point. Suddenly, the Sammie needs to default on an active skill. Poor guy.

Guard does not only prevent normal environmental accidents and hazards. The glitch prevention portion is a seperate part of the Guard power.
Using mana static to take out the spirit requires the spirit to be present(physically/astrally) at that location.

QUOTE (ravensmuse)
Purposely gaming the system annoys me. It's like you're trying to eliminate every aspect of failure so that you can get the best result, all the time. Glitches - critical glitches - are fundamental mechanics of the world.
I understand that you have a different gaming style. Not gaming the system and then turning around to accuse someone else of doing it so (as it it was something that should not be done) or attempting to stop other people from doing so annoys me. Spirits (and to a lesser extent, the Guard power) are as fundamental to the game world as glitches and critical glitches. To me, gaming the system is as part of an RPG as roleplaying a character. Purposely gaming the system is something I ought to do in an RPG as much as roleplaying.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (toturi @ Apr 13 2011, 09:15 PM) *
Guard does not only prevent normal environmental accidents and hazards. The glitch prevention portion is a seperate part of the Guard power.

I guess so, but the description seems to give the guard power that sort of feel (like more processed materials and artificial events are less susceptible to the effects of this spell). Note that the power shouldn't protect from nuclear radiation or psychopathic clowns, by its description.

QUOTE (toturi @ Apr 13 2011, 09:15 PM) *
Using mana static to take out the spirit requires the spirit to be present(physically/astrally) at that location.

Once the spell link is made, it should stay, but there is the issue of the spirit being too far away from its summoner, and thus losing a number of favors.
toturi
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 14 2011, 12:26 PM) *
Once the spell link is made, it should stay, but there is the issue of the spirit being too far away from its summoner, and thus losing a number of favors.
I'm afraid you lost me. The only spell here is mana static, and no matter how far away the summoner, the number of services owed are not lost, so I am not certain what you are trying to say.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 14 2011, 04:14 AM) *
None. Zero. And whatever is there definitely won't harm a troll who carries his bow with him. Proven fact.
You know what would be dangerous and thrilling? Bunnies. You could send bunnies after us.

...Please?

Remember the bunny from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". You donīt want THIS bunny thrown at you, donīt you?^^
ravensmuse
QUOTE (toturi @ Apr 14 2011, 12:15 AM) *
Purposely gaming the system is something I ought to do in an RPG as much as roleplaying.

And I think that's where you and I have a fundamental disagreement.
Machiavelli
Obviously. I donīt want to interfere in your quarrel, but we all come from time to time to a point where we disagree with the official rules. That is what houseruling is for. But there is not "better" and no "worse" solution. Everbody is free to play as he wants to. You just have to agree with your players or your GM. So there is no reason for a discussion. Relax...^^
ravensmuse
Yeah, and that's the point I'm (apparently) doing a bad job of making. I'm not saying Toturi is wrong for how he plays, I'm just saying it's not an environment that would be comfortable with me. That's all smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012