Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manatech Applications
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
longbowrocks
Uoy (onomatopoeia for "wow this is going on for a while").
Come to think of it, glass is a barrier too, so both mana barriers and physical barriers can be transparent depending on the plane. smile.gif

The only question that remains is:
Where does it say you can't see auras through physical barriers on the astral plane?
OR
Why can't you see auras through physical barriers on the astral plane?
Yerameyahu
Exactly. I mentioned glass earlier, but it's opaque on the astral.

You can't see auras because you can't see anything. They're opaque.
fazzamar
Not to jump into you two's conversation, but all physical barriers, whether opaque or not in the material world, are opaque on the astral. Additionally, AFAIK there are no exceptions to that statement that I have ever seen, or can think of.
Yerameyahu
Seriously. That's what I said, twice. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 25 2011, 12:51 PM) *

And I thought that you and I had interesting Post Strings... biggrin.gif
fazzamar
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 25 2011, 03:51 PM) *

Yes, yes, I know, I know. I was just pointing out that there are no, that I can think of, exceptions. Considering how much conversation in this thread has been about exceptions I just wanted to point it out. nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
Actually, Tymeaus, do you remember that thread once upon a time where we had a string that ended exactly like this? It turned out to be something said at the very beginning. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 25 2011, 06:13 PM) *
Actually, Tymeaus, do you remember that thread once upon a time where we had a string that ended exactly like this? It turned out to be something said at the very beginning. smile.gif

Indeed. It happens on ocassion... biggrin.gif
tagz
Magic tends to work via Line of Sight. There are exceptions, but those are typically touch spells and Ritual Magic, etc. Most magic that works beyond your body follows this trend. Basically an unobstructed path between one thing and another (though this path can bend in some cases like with mirrors or mage sight goggles) So, anything that is obstructing this path blocks magic typically, including magical perception.

I like to think of it as Astral Perception like a mental sense that can radiate out in all directions, going only so far as the first thing that blocks LOS. And even though it can go in all directions it depends greatly on the observer's attention to detail to notice things in that sphere and not all things are noticed at the same time or with equal scrutiny, hence distracted and actively looking bonuses. In my view of it, a person with an aura could possibly pass through it's sphere of observance given enough skill, etc, though that astral observer would likely have an unfair (and deserved) bonus.

Anyhow, that's my take.
longbowrocks
For some reason I was just reminded of quantum mechanics. I propose a new rule that you can walk through walls if you score 2 hits on 1d6. cyber.gif
Fortinbras
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 27 2011, 01:32 AM) *
For some reason I was just reminded of quantum mechanics. I propose a new rule that you can walk through walls if you score 2 hits on 1d6. cyber.gif

I propose this rule can be exploited. I'd be willing to entertain the thought of being able to do it every time you roll an 11 on a d4, but only if it's one of the many d4 rolls outlined in SR4a.
longbowrocks
Agreed. Then again, do you mean SR4A in this universe, or in parallel universe #2345e10? grinbig.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 27 2011, 10:20 AM) *
Agreed. Then again, do you mean SR4A in this universe, or in parallel universe #2345e10? grinbig.gif

I was actually thinking of "World without a J" smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012