Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dis*
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JavaLamp
Out of Character thread for Dis*

Currently we are recruiting.

This will not be strict SR, there's going to be a lot of eyeballing, skipping rolls, on the fly modification, and sometimes outright ignoring of SR RAW (and even flavor as written)

That said, This is the place to ask (or in PM) if you're interested in finding out more.

Some post format guidelines:

Location - Color: #FF8C00
Time and date

Internal monologue - Color: #483D8B
Digital Communication - Color: #FFFF00 <<text>> typed communication, <text> DNI communication, 'text' subvocalized, "text" vocalized
Speech - Color: #48D1CC

-JL
TakayamaYuuko
In some places I am known as the aforementioned YokoburiKinura, and I play Mary Ward in this Dis* campaign.

Mary is a mechanical engineering graduate who is part of a cybernetics R&D team for Bishop Industries. She's on a starting salary and probably not considered much higher than an intern in terms of the hierarchy. Though she is technically allowed input on design, much of her work day goes into building physical prototypes as the team works through design iterations.

I can provide a more complete biography of Mary's short life and a layout of her paltry 300-bp makeup if requested.

I'm probably throwing Composure / Willpower-based resistance tests multiple times in my first post. Will I need to roll for it? If so, I'll let you roll them, Java, so as to get this show rolling.
JavaLamp
This is intro, playing in character is sufficient, i don't see any need to enforce strict rolling. I'd like to keep this light on rolling anyhow, easier to keep the story going.

-JL
TakayamaYuuko
Ok, we're at a point where I think my level of tension as a player has ratcheted up quite high in one post. So I am going to ask for a couple interpretations:

Who said the last sentence and to whom did it seem directed?
Is there room to cram a body between the back seat and rear hatch, or is it seats clear to the back?
Would the torso and head of a troll fit between the roof and floor anyway?
What do I figure my percent chance is of getting geeked before I can grab anything out of the bag?

EDIT: Don't be surprised if I act before knowing the answers to any of these life-or-death questions.
JavaLamp
The ork with the gruesome fetish SMG said it, he hadn't stopped talking through the explosion, to Harl

I meant to describe it as a minivan, with the people and gear and no seats, there's simply no room in there for anyone, Harl would fit if he sat hunched in the back after taking some people out.

Mary's estimation of her chance of getting geeked.... I'm not sure
TakayamaYuuko
Ok, that was eventually the picture that I got and I wrote my post with pretty much exactly the interpretation you just gave.
TakayamaYuuko
QUOTE (JavaLamp @ May 7 2011, 07:46 PM) *
Squat
11:32 pm

*takk, shhhk, tak, SHHHHHHNK* The metal clicks, slides, and clanks arythmically, locking in place, suddenly releasing to slide back into place. *tikatak, shhhhk*

Hmm, I just have to say... what?
What metal? Are we talking about the action on his pistol, the pipes, a door?
JavaLamp
Descriptive fail, the sounds are coming from the gun. Cocking it, pulling back the slide and or out the clip, setting the safety... etc
TakayamaYuuko
Bumping, mostly because enough other threads are active today our IC thread is going under fast.

Hope you fixed your netbook, Java, and that you get your interest back soon.
JavaLamp
Oh I was enamored of a new game for a short bit, my attention has returned at a more normal level to continue.

plus I did get the netbook working.. the touchscreen is... rotated 180 degrees by the default controller, I've got to figure out how to command it to fix that...

-JL
JavaLamp
Actually.. selling the netbook off.. what a turn of events.. maybe I'll get a new one

-JL
TakayamaYuuko
Yeah, that is a bit of a shock, especially if you're not upgrading immediately.

Anyway, very curious to find out whose voice is borrowing dead Rusty's face. Sometimes suboptimal choices == roleplay.
JavaLamp
less likely to be upgrading soon, turns out the keyboard is an accessory.. an accessory that costs $150

.. but on second thought.. that's a really nice tablet.. and fairly cheap as far as tablets go.
TakayamaYuuko
Here's to hoping I don't offend the troll by not drinking the whole glass. But shoot, best to keep my head clear.
TakayamaYuuko
I'm ready to curtain to the market scene when we've got a signal/plan.
TakayamaYuuko
I think the curtain was a bit abrupt. Maybe I wasn't using the word 'curtain' right. I think I more meant transition. Because I'm just that wee bit confused.
JavaLamp
Ah.. I'd kinda just waved past walking out, the car pulling up, and driving out without encountering the chopper...
TakayamaYuuko
I wonder if we'll need a more codified legend for post formatting later on, more colors, etc. Just make sure to tell me the color codes and not just the color, cause I'm terrible with them.
JavaLamp
We might, I'll have to think about that, maybe post some this weekend.
JavaLamp
Format guidelines added, loose as they are.

We'll add as we need it.
JavaLamp
Hmm.. Let's actually get some character sheets in here.
TakayamaYuuko
Very well. I'll do my best.

[ Spoiler ]
TakayamaYuuko
What I want to know now is: how big is my Karma debt?
JavaLamp
Let's see, magician - latent awakening cost so 10 current debt unless we're adding 'Death' as a mentor spirit.
TakayamaYuuko
I have to decline that most generous offer, thanks. We'll stick with just Magician.

So I guess I earned 10 Karma so far? Sweet.
JavaLamp
Oh, thanks for catching my math there, forgot to double for karma cost, 20, haven't assigned any karma yet. 20 debt
TakayamaYuuko
I've realized a couple unsettling things about my chargen.

The Transys Avalon I mistakenly had on my character sheet accounts for a BP all by itself. When removed, it knocks me back to 299 BP. Also, looking at the description and comparing to SR3, I don't think the Yamaha Sakura Fubuki existed in 2060. If I had a Colt America or one of the other light pistols listed in SR3, it's probably enough to knock me back to 298 BP.

Dou shiyou ka naa?
JavaLamp
Go ahead and redo that portion, the fubuki wouldn't have been available, and yeah, probably not the comm you were looking for there, go ahead and redo it, we're still early here.

Or now that I find out you had an extra comm.. take the extra one off, yeah.
TakayamaYuuko
OK, the Avalon's gone, the Sakura Fubuki's replaced with a Beretta 101T, and I've added a specialization.
Titus
Game :Dis
Character: Marcus Aldrich aka Brick - Picture of Brick
Role: Male Troll, Club Security
[ Spoiler ]
mister__joshua
Right. Here's my character all finished smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]

His skillset revolves entirely around living a corporate life. Knowing how to be deferent management, steal things from work, search the 'trix, and order around the interns to make himself feel important smile.gif

A couple of notes. Although you mentioned him as a skillwire monkey I haven't actually bought any activesofts. I figured these would probably all be owned by the corp and given as needed, but he probably wouldn't own any. Also, he actually has quite a high lifestyle for the job he has. I can change it if you like but I figure that's the way with Corp Enclave living. You get the perks, but all the negatives too.

Other than that I'm ready to go!
BlackHat
Mathew Wilson, Data Courier

Bio
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet - 300/300
[ Spoiler ]

Edit: Oh yeah, and a roll for starting cash: 4d6+12 = 20 x 500 = 10,000 nuyen
BlackHat
Question: Was Wilson told to go here and wait for this contact for a new job that he would be beginning, or is he in the middle of something and waiting to meet a contact to deliver some data he's already got in his head?
JavaLamp
Oh, I did forget that, Wilson's in the middle of a job, he's waiting for a contact to deliver what's already in his head.
BlackHat
Sounds good.
Titus
@JavaLife

Ok. I forgot my starting cash too. However, I came up with a way to solve that in character. The "non-existant" bribe is 500 Nuyen which is what I rolled for my character's starting cash.

3d6 = 10; 10 *50 = 500 (Starting Roll Low Lifestyle = 3d6*50) Starting Nuyen Roll

Also, can we change the name of the club. Its initials are KKK which is very racist where I am from.
JavaLamp
QUOTE (Titus @ Jun 9 2011, 12:04 PM) *
@JavaLife

Ok. I forgot my starting cash too. However, I came up with a way to solve that in character. The "non-existant" bribe is 500 Nuyen which is what I rolled for my character's starting cash.

3d6 = 10; 10 *50 = 500 (Starting Roll Low Lifestyle = 3d6*50) Starting Nuyen Roll

Also, can we change the name of the club. Its initials are KKK which is very racist where I am from.

ah, yeah we can, I intentionally used it,, but to no specific purpose. How about Club Kraze?

Titus
That works great. smile.gif Thanks.
JavaLamp
Well then.. oddly enough I was working on a post at lunch.. and my browser randomly reloaded and destroyed everything I'd written...

Anyhow, would've liked to get in 2 today, it'll have to do.
mister__joshua
I've finished my character (see above) and am ready to go

Cheers
Titus
@Josh,

I like the premise of your character. However, you have more than 300 BP which is the starting build. You have 320 BP, so you will have to cut a bit.

Also, why would your character have a Doc Wagon contract? Generally, those are street doctors. Wouldn't the corp have their own doctors tending to him?
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Titus @ Jun 10 2011, 03:55 PM) *
@Josh,

I like the premise of your character. However, you have more than 300 BP which is the starting build. You have 320 BP, so you will have to cut a bit.

Also, why would your character have a Doc Wagon contract? Generally, those are street doctors. Wouldn't the corp have their own doctors tending to him?

I just checked and its 300 BP by my count. I get 10 points back on the qualities. The docwagon contract was to represent corporate healthcare. I don't really know what you mean about the street docs thing. Doc wagon are a massive private healthcare corporation so I thought it seemed appropriate.
BlackHat
Well, I think what he's getting at is that DocWagon is like ambulances. They'll show up and scoop you up if you have a contract with them (even bringing in armed response teams to secure you), but they actually have a clause that says they won't go into extraterritorial areas (like corporate enclaves). You could probably say you have some corporate equivilent healthcare to cover you if anything happens while you're on the job inside their area, though.
Titus
That +10 BP must mean you gain 10 back, instead of add 10. That would explain why my math was off. I was thinking that would have been -10 for getting ten points back. Grr... Apparently I am having a little problem with communication.

Thanks for explaining the Doc Wagon as well.
mister__joshua
No problem. In my head, I was taking away from 400, so added the 10 but the other way works too smile.gif

Yeah, I understand the doc wagon point. Maybe it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. It's sort of representative.
TakayamaYuuko
Doh! I was told to *give* the paper to the bouncer, not flash it and keep it. Hope it all turns out OK anyway.
Titus
LOL! I think the give it to the bouncer request was just to get past the bouncer.
Ghost_in_the_System
Never know, she could have just failed the most important part of the run...

Also, since I don't know that my PM ever went through...

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Stats and Meta:190
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:0
[ Spoiler ]

Skills:64
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts(C/L):11
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:35
[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
@Titus: From your last comment about not letting people with guns through, should we assume Brick gave Mary and Matt a quick pat-down and relieved them of their weapons? No idea what she's packing, but Matt has a taser on him for personal protection. He wouldn't object if security at the place he was going insisted on taking it from him, but he's happy to keep it tucked inside his suit if they don't.
JavaLamp
I'd meant 'showing' it to the bouncer like giving a passphrase.

As far as club security, personal protection arms are allowed, though that policy may change if the owner has the need. so taser and pistols are okay, a quick pat down for anything more serious would have been in order.

Hmm.. Now how to destroy Sara's life....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012