Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yakut Shuffle: questions, ideas, criticism
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Fatum @ Apr 9 2013, 12:44 PM) *
First, it's established that metahuman hate did not rock Russia as hard as many nations (which made Vladivostok a safe haven for the Japanese metas, prompting a massive exile, for example).
Did not rock it, that is not the same as effecting it. I would like to ask you, a native, what is the current level of Racism/Classism in Russian now? What's it like? How can we use the real foundation and extrapolate it into something more fitting and realistic?
Second, have you ever wondered why the Siberia is so sparsely populated, except for the southern edge? The answer is really simple: those lands are extremely inhospitable. Half of them are tundra, with all the vibrancy of reindeer moss over permafrost. Half of the rest are swamps. The climate is extreme continental, with winters easily as cold as -50, and summers as hot as +45 easily. Soils are poor, and vegetation period extremely short (why do you think taiga is made up of conifers, not leaf-bearing trees?) And let's of course not forget the swarms of midge that ignore any known repellents.
Which is why the locals mostly survive on fishing, hunting and nomadic deer herding- none of those capable of supporting a dense population.
Nothing new to me here. The +45C part is new to me as those numbers nearly do not exist in Russian by the major information sources east of the Urals.
Both Yakutsk and Magadan are cities built on permafrost, which means taking pains to anchor the foundations of the building to the deep permafrost which won't shift during the summer, all the while ensuring that same foundation does not melt the permafrost itself. Constructing infrastructure runs into similar problems. Which is why housing and feeding millions will be at the very least extremely problematic, especially with metahumans or metahuman tech limited to the metahuman zone. You say they'd settle along the southern border - but there are border skirmishes there, which in my opinion prevents any kind of large-scale building projects...
I was not aware Magadan was on permafrost, but that would explain readily the scale and size issues. I am aware of all the engineering restraints regarding permafrost however. Alaska and Northern Canada have all the same issues. And I do not disagree with the problems that all the constructive restraints might have had before (real world).

I do however want to point out likely factors that led to the detailing of Russian/Yakut/Siberia, etc.... the way that it has been. Lack of Real Knowledge combined with a Lack of Real Desire to give any form of detailing. It is the same problem all the First and Second edition "location books" have. There was no large working group interested in real details or extrapolations into fiction from reality for those parts of the world. The reasons for those decisions are many, and only because of the expansion of communication by way of the Internet now can we begin to really get a grasp on these issues and perhaps come up with stuff that is more acceptable (aka, "fitting to the 'belief' of the game world").

I could go into a *HUGE* rant here about the lack of connectivity in what I would call "Acceptable Extrapolation" in fact with regards to how did "this in the real world become that in the game world". It is so obvious that the "coolness factor" would always win out in the decisions. Never really taking the down-the-road problems it would create into fuller consideration.

But anyway, that's that point from my view of things.

Now back to resolving issues such as "where did 19 million people come from and how do we feed them?"
Fatum
Nath, English has no reason to be the corps' language either, other than the game being developed for the English-speaking auditory. English-speaking powers in SR take the place roughly equivalent to... well, not even Spanish-speakers of today, more like French-speakers. That is, sure, they have solid economies, but nothing out of the ordinary among the developed nations. English might remain the lingua franca in NorthAm, where the NAN might need one, but minding that the local economical powrhouse is Pueblo, and the previous story they share with UCAS, I wouldn't be sure even about that.

Now, the more I read the SoA, the more surprised I get. Transcaucasian federation - is it there because nobody wants to bother with transcaucasian problems? I mean, Armenians and Azeri hate each others' guts, and Georgians and Azeri haven't ever been on the best of terms either. Minding that mostly the Gergians and the Azeri get the profits from oil, why aren't they locked in a civil war like in RL? Why are they even a single state to begin with?
Same goes for Turkestan: the Uzbeks are universally hated in the region, and a few other peoples openly despise each other. How have they come to live together, simply so that a Western reader did not have to memorize a few different -stan's? If they build prosperity of a whole country on the New Silk Road, half of which is going over the territory of other nations, why are those other nations not mentioned to benefit from it at all, much less this greatly?
Ukraine not only being a highly successful state, but actually one to compete and win easily against Russia? Fgsfds
Fatum
QUOTE (NeoJudas @ Apr 11 2013, 08:35 AM) *
Did not rock it, that is not the same as effecting it. I would like to ask you, a native, what is the current level of Racism/Classism in Russian now? What's it like? How can we use the real foundation and extrapolate it into something more fitting and realistic?
We know that SR Russia is a nationalist state. Actually, unlike the real thing, it's not even a federation, for all I know.
As for the real deal, I guess it depends on your outlook. Traditionally, as far as I understand, Russia is seen from the West as a highly racist and nationalist, despite, you know, never having racial segregation, slavery, or apartheid. This outlook is reflected, for example, in SoA.
As far as I understand, a lot of Russian perception of others (and self, naturally) is based on stereotypes. Just as Russians are seen as lazy and disorderly, but stoic and capable when it comes to a single grand effort, Germans are seen as industrious and order-loving, Chechens as hot-tempered and prone to fits of violence, and so on. Speeking in generalizations based on these stereotypes, even when highly negative, is mostly seen as acceptable or at least tolerated. However, when it comes to personal relations, I do not think those stereotypes change anything but the initial expectations much: so, say, a Chechen university student might face quite a bit of coldness from his fellows until he shows himself equally capable and willing to engage in civil relations, unlike what is stereotypically expected.

Nothing new to me here. The +45C part is new to me as those numbers nearly do not exist in Russian by the major information sources east of the Urals.
Well, +45 might not be the norm, but Yakutsk, for example, averages +25,5 in July, and the highest recorded July average is 38,5C.
If there's nothing new to you there, you should be able to see why fitting dozens of millions of people upon those lands without highly developed tech might be problematic at best, and why people wold sooner move among the established population centers.

I was not aware Magadan was on permafrost, but that would explain readily the scale and size issues. I am aware of all the engineering restraints regarding permafrost however. Alaska and Northern Canada have all the same issues. And I do not disagree with the problems that all the constructive restraints might have had before (real world).
Actually, take a look at Yakutsk on a map: it's near a couple of decent valleys, and going with the current density, I believe it'd be possible to fit maybe 1,5 millions, or even 2 millions into them. But still that leaves us more than we know what to do with, and such a massive city requires serious infrastructure, including for example power plants and landslides, something the Yakut government would hardly appreciate in my estimation.

I do however want to point out likely factors that led to the detailing of Russian/Yakut/Siberia, etc.... the way that it has been. Lack of Real Knowledge combined with a Lack of Real Desire to give any form of detailing.
I think the issue lies in the latter: after all, even when SR was fresh off the press, you could easily contact a Russian and pick his head over the Internet or FIDO.
Hell, even now Pegasus has to fix simple spelling errors in the names of Russian gear because looking it up in a dictionary is too complex a task for the CGL editors :/
Nath
QUOTE (Fatum @ Apr 11 2013, 10:02 AM) *
Nath, English has no reason to be the corps' language either, other than the game being developed for the English-speaking auditory. English-speaking powers in SR take the place roughly equivalent to... well, not even Spanish-speakers of today, more like French-speakers. That is, sure, they have solid economies, but nothing out of the ordinary among the developed nations. English might remain the lingua franca in NorthAm, where the NAN might need one, but minding that the local economical powrhouse is Pueblo, and the previous story they share with UCAS, I wouldn't be sure even about that.
Japan didn't become the world only superpower on Day One of Shadowrun timeline. There is a shift from US to Japan that took several decades and was not complete until 2030-2036. And by 2040, it already ceased to be relevant since megacorporations and their Corporate Court now were the true superpowers.

Even if English completely disappeared from usage in a single generation in the NAN, South Africa, India, Hong Kong, Nigeria... not to mention its established use in trade and media, it would still remains the primary language for about 400 millions potential customers and employees in Great Britain, UCAS, CAS, California, Australia and New Zealand. Japanese is the primary language for only 150 millions people in Japan and it will stay more or less that way. Even if more educated people will be learning Japanese as a secondary language, it won't catch up on the number of English speakers, even in three or four decades. Especially because Japanese is much more difficult to learn, to speak and to write, than English.

The Pueblo and Aztlan could make a push for Spanish to be more commonly used in the NAN, but demographics wouldn't support it in the Ute, which have a large English-speaking Mormon population, or the Northern NAN, with little to no Latino population.
As a side note, Pueblo may be economically successful, its GDP is still less than half that of the CAS and a fourth of the UCAS (for a comparison, this is like comparing the economical power of Netherlands to France and Germany : richer per capita, but nonetheless way smaller).
Fatum
QUOTE (Nath @ Apr 12 2013, 02:00 AM) *
Japan didn't become the world only superpower on Day One of Shadowrun timeline. There is a shift from US to Japan that took several decades and was not complete until 2030-2036. And by 2040, it already ceased to be relevant since megacorporations and their Corporate Court now were the true superpowers.
Hm. This is a valid point.
There is a certain disparity between the number of japanacorps and corps from English-speaking nations, but it's not as significant, admittedly.

Even if English completely disappeared from usage in a single generation in the NAN, South Africa, India, Hong Kong, Nigeria... not to mention its established use in trade and media, it would still remains the primary language for about 400 millions potential customers and employees in Great Britain, UCAS, CAS, California, Australia and New Zealand.
Just as Chinese, Hindu, or Russian (with slight differences in the number of customers and potential employees we're talking about).

Japanese is the primary language for only 150 millions people in Japan and it will stay more or less that way. Even if more educated people will be learning Japanese as a secondary language, it won't catch up on the number of English speakers, even in three or four decades. Especially because Japanese is much more difficult to learn, to speak and to write, than English.
Under Lofwyr's NEEC, however, Europe might be mostly using German; Middle East would have no incentive to learn English between Sandstorm and SK, either, etc.

The Pueblo and Aztlan could make a push for Spanish to be more commonly used in the NAN, but demographics wouldn't support it in the Ute, which have a large English-speaking Mormon population, or the Northern NAN, with little to no Latino population.
Well if I remember, Ute became a part of PCC in 2067 :3

Nath
QUOTE (Fatum @ Apr 12 2013, 12:37 AM) *
Just as Chinese, Hindu, or Russian (with slight differences in the number of customers and potential employees we're talking about).
The number of primary speakers is one factor. It is not the only one, and the position of world lingua franca is a winner-takes-it-all type of contest.

- Hindi is the primary language of about 300 millions of people and the secondary language of about 250 millions more, because the Mughal Empire ruled over much of the Indian subcontinent in the 17th and 18th century. It worth noting that even after the Marathi empire became the dominant power, the Marathi language still did not replace Hindi.

- Standard Chinese (Mandarin) is the language of about 1 billion people and the secondary language of about 200 or 300 millions, because of the Han Ming dynasty that ruled over China between the 14th and 17th century. Again, even after the Manchu Qing dynasty took over, the established language remained.

- Russian is the native language for about (only) 160-170 millions of people, which is barely more than Japanese. An additional 100 millions speaks it as secondary language, in large part because of Russia former role as the core of the Tsarist Empire and then the Soviet Union before 1989. There are actually more Spanish and Portuguese speakers (because of Latin America, Mozambique and Angola).

- English is the primary language of about 400 millions of people and is spoken by possibly 500 billions more, because Great Britain established a colonial empire over five centuries that covered almost a quarter of Earth land, and then because the United States replaced it as a world dominant power during the 20th century.

- Japanese is the primary language of about 150 millions of people and currently is spoken by almost no else, among other things because the Japanese failed to leave a lasting impression the last time they tried to conquer Asia.

I could go on with Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, French... English obviously as the top spot at the turn of the century, we're seeing it right now as we're discussing on this forum.
Should China become the world only superpower, will Chinese take the top spot? Maybe, but I still wouldn't expect it before the late part of the century. Anyway, in Shadowrun history, China never got the chance to become a superpower.

Japanese is "only" the language of a world superpower in SR, but that's not the only condition to fulfil to become a lingua franca (as the local example of Marathi and Manchu showed in the past). It doesn't have a large number of speakers, and it's hard to learn for the vast majority of people on Earth whose primary language belongs to the Indo-European or Semitic groups.

Under Lofwyr's NEEC, however, Europe might be mostly using German; Middle East would have no incentive to learn English between Sandstorm and SK, either, etc.
Again, there's no second spot. German has an even narrower base than Japanese to start with. If people speaks English or Japanese or Klingon, whatever the lingua franca is, there is no incentive to learn German. S-K has been the dominant force in the Middle East oil industry, but North American companies like United Oil and Exxoco nonetheless have a significant presence (S-K role would be closer to that of Halliburton and Technip than the classical oil company).

Well if I remember, Ute became a part of PCC in 2067 :3
Yes, in 2067. Ute had to run its own government for fifty years, and settle at some point for a language to communicate. With a large number of Mormons speaking English, and four different native Amerindian languages (Ute-Paiute, Shoshoni, Pawnee and Wichita), English was the most logical and practical choice.
Fatum
QUOTE (Nath @ Apr 12 2013, 11:47 PM) *
The number of primary speakers is one factor. It is not the only one, and the position of world lingua franca is a winner-takes-it-all type of contest.
Not really, as evidenced by the wide spread of regional languages like Hindi and Russian.

- Standard Chinese (Mandarin) is the language of about 1 billion people and the secondary language of about 200 or 300 millions, because of the Han Ming dynasty that ruled over China between the 14th and 17th century. Again, even after the Manchu Qing dynasty took over, the established language remained.
And those are 300 millions living all over the world still considering themselves to be Chinese. And with the warring nations in China's place in SR, that number will be even more significant.

- Russian is the native language for about (only) 160-170 millions of people, which is barely more than Japanese. An additional 100 millions speaks it as secondary language, in large part because of Russia former role as the core of the Tsarist Empire and then the Soviet Union before 1989. There are actually more Spanish and Portuguese speakers (because of Latin America, Mozambique and Angola).
Actually, it's 163 native and 114 secondary.

- English is the primary language of about 400 millions of people and is spoken by possibly 500 billions more, because Great Britain established a colonial empire over five centuries that covered almost a quarter of Earth land, and then because the United States replaced it as a world dominant power during the 20th century.
500 billions? You can't be serious :ь

Japanese is "only" the language of a world superpower in SR, but that's not the only condition to fulfil to become a lingua franca (as the local example of Marathi and Manchu showed in the past). It doesn't have a large number of speakers, and it's hard to learn for the vast majority of people on Earth whose primary language belongs to the Indo-European or Semitic groups.
It has four megacorps to promote it. Three and a half, okay.

Again, there's no second spot. German has an even narrower base than Japanese to start with. If people speaks English or Japanese or Klingon, whatever the lingua franca is, there is no incentive to learn German.
Ahem.

Yes, in 2067. Ute had to run its own government for fifty years, and settle at some point for a language to communicate. With a large number of Mormons speaking English, and four different native Amerindian languages (Ute-Paiute, Shoshoni, Pawnee and Wichita), English was the most logical and practical choice.
Which is the language of the people who just very narrowly haven't murdered you all. I know that SoNA lists it as pretty much the only majority language in the nation, but it's making no sense to me. After all, if we go with precedent, Hebrew saw a major resurrection in comparable circumstances.
Nath
QUOTE (Nath @ Apr 12 2013, 09:47 PM) *
QUOTE (Fatum @ Apr 12 2013, 11:42 PM) *
Not really, as evidenced by the wide spread of regional languageslike Hindi and Russian.
Again, the use of Hindi spread under the Mughal Empire, and Russian under the Tsarist Empire and Soviet Union. They achieve a lingua franca status when it still was a regional competition. They won that regional contest, and there was no second place for Punjabi or Azeri. Now it is a global competition, and there's not any more room for German in a globalized world than there was for Azeri in the Soviet Union.

Besides, the status of lingua franca doesn't require a sheer number of speakers. It requires administrations, merchants, scientists and medias to actively use it. In the past, it was mostly the result of a top-down spread, starting with the administration (as seen with Latin, Madarin Chinese, Hindi...). English went both top-down (US corporations) and bottom-up (Hollywood media and Internet).

It has four megacorps to promote it. Three and a half, okay.
Only because you assume those megacorporations would have an interest in promoting it.

Renraku started as an empty shell, that bought out Slovenian corporation Keruba International in 2029. It had a handful of Japanese board members, but the vast majority of its managers and executives were in Europe. Asian investments only took the lead in the mid-2040ies, when the corporation streamlined its European assets. And by the early or mid-2050ies, it was Renraku Americas turn to become the most important division.
Fuchi Industrial Electronics took over US/UCAS corporation JRJ International in 2038, but as part of a deal with Richard Villiers that made American, European and Asian divisions equals.
Yamatetsu started in 2032 as a 50-50 Filipino and Japanese. The Japanese faction only started to evict the Filipino faction from the board during the 2040ies. By 2056, Yamatetsu startefd its ongoin "we are the world" policy that wouldn't not cope well with forcefully promoting the Japanese language.

So even if you admit these megacorporations made the push for the Japanese language, they had a majority between 2042 and 2059. That is, even if school programs changed overnight all around the world (at least, thanks to tutorsoft, you wouldn't need to train actual teachers first), you would barely start to see the effect by the mid-2060s.

Again, there's no second spot. German has an even narrower base than Japanese to start with. If people speaks English or Japanese or Klingon, whatever the lingua franca is, there is no incentive to learn German.
And this and that.
German comes ahead as the first primary language in the European Union, with 16% of the population. English and Italian are second with 13%. And French third with 12%. Yet when it comes to learn an additional language, English still comes first, with 38% of population speaking it as an additional language, then French 12%, and German 11%. If you look at the countries where a significant numbers of people speak German as a secondary language, the biggest part are former part of the Austrio-Hungarian Empire, whose administration used German, before 1918. German new status as the European biggest economical power has yet to curb the trend. And it will never caught up on English if the rest of the world doesn't stop to use it first.

That's the point. You see no reason for the world to keep on speaking English, so it's seems logical for you that people would switch to any other language. But the biggest reason for English to remain in use is simply that English is already used. Though not static, linguistics is fairly conservative. English doesn't need a reason to remain the lingua franca. It would need a reason to stop being it. If a German and a Japanese can already understand each other by speaking English, there is no or little incentive for one of them to learn the other's language.

Which is the language of the people who just very narrowly haven't murdered you all. I know that SoNA lists it as pretty much the only majority language in the nation, but it's making no sense to me. After all, if we go with precedent, Hebrew saw a major resurrection in comparable circumstances.
After all, if we go with precedent, Latin also was the language of the people who just very narrowly haven't murdered all Christians. Established status. Even German remained in use among German-speaking Jews who settled in Israel, because it was as much their language than it was their enemies'.

If the Ute tribe managed to make their language the primary language of the Ute Nation over the other tribes (somewhat like Hebrew was enforced over Yiddish) it still wouldn't make the Ute language spoken in Aztlan, Pueblo, Sioux, Salish-Shidhe, Japan, and any other country they may trade with, or watch the movie and play the videogame. They wouldn't even need to learn it, they already do.
Fatum
QUOTE (Nath @ Apr 13 2013, 05:14 PM) *
Again, the use of Hindi spread under the Mughal Empire, and Russian under the Tsarist Empire and Soviet Union. They achieve a lingua franca status when it still was a regional competition. They won that regional contest, and there was no second place for Punjabi or Azeri. Now it is a global competition, and there's not any more room for German in a globalized world than there was for Azeri in the Soviet Union.
I guess this burns down to whether you believe regional languages would remain by 2070, or a single global lingua franca would be used as a second language everywhere. Going by the world's balkanization, I'm willing to believe the former more, with regional powers promoting their language around, in their areas of operation. After all, if Western Russia is an area of operations for two large primarily German-speaking entities, learning German just seems more immediately beneficial than learning English; and SoA makes no mention of German learned in Russia at all.

Only because you assume those megacorporations would have an interest in promoting it. [...] So even if you admit these megacorporations made the push for the Japanese language, they had a majority between 2042 and 2059. That is, even if school programs changed overnight all around the world (at least, thanks to tutorsoft, you wouldn't need to train actual teachers first), you would barely start to see the effect by the mid-2060s.
I go with the descriptions of japanacorps as nationalistic entities with the Japanese family-type management. Promoting the language top-down seems natural in this case.

German comes ahead as the first primary language in the European Union, with 16% of the population. English and Italian are second with 13%. And French third with 12%. Yet when it comes to learn an additional language, English still comes first, with 38% of population speaking it as an additional language, then French 12%, and German 11%. If you look at the countries where a significant numbers of people speak German as a secondary language, the biggest part are former part of the Austrio-Hungarian Empire, whose administration used German, before 1918. German new status as the European biggest economical power has yet to curb the trend. And it will never caught up on English if the rest of the world doesn't stop to use it first.
I interpret this data like this: while there is a global superpower that is promoting English globally simply by existing and doing business, in Europe there is also a leading local power that is promoting German the same way, and you can see that people are learning German for that. Just like in the CIS, people are still learning Russian as their second language, etc.
The case with SR is that there is no global superpower any more.

That's the point. You see no reason for the world to keep on speaking English, so it's seems logical for you that people would switch to any other language. But the biggest reason for English to remain in use is simply that English is already used. Though not static, linguistics is fairly conservative. English doesn't need a reason to remain the lingua franca. It would need a reason to stop being it. If a German and a Japanese can already understand each other by speaking English, there is no or little incentive for one of them to learn the other's language.
This inertia is a valid point of course, one that kept Latin used in Europe for a thousand years, for example. Still, while it's possible to use a shared second language doing business, naturally, a lot of people prefer direct translation - this is why even seemingly exotic languages are still learned around the globe.

After all, if we go with precedent, Latin also was the language of the people who just very narrowly haven't murdered all Christians.
Christians did not have their own language, so this is hardly a valid example.

Even German remained in use among German-speaking Jews who settled in Israel, because it was as much their language than it was their enemies'.
But Hebrew was enforced over it it and Yiddish, and look how the linguistic situation in Israel developed.

If the Ute tribe managed to make their language the primary language of the Ute Nation over the other tribes (somewhat like Hebrew was enforced over Yiddish) it still wouldn't make the Ute language spoken in Aztlan, Pueblo, Sioux, Salish-Shidhe, Japan, and any other country they may trade with, or watch the movie and play the videogame. They wouldn't even need to learn it, they already do.
They'd have Spanish or Japanese as an alternative.
NeoJudas
Fatum, guy... This is becoming a "doesn't fit my paradigm" conversation. Like it or not, this is one of those "this IS how the world works" moments.
Fatum
I've written it up in Nath's version, pretty much, but I left the updates on my rig in Moscow and went to see Kiev.
Fatum
Okay, back from Kiev, uploaded the stuff.
Some stuff on the crime in Russia (syndicates, gangs, cossacks), what's it like in the prisons, the bit on language we've discussed, and an overview of the corp operations.
NeoJudas
Hey guy, I need to understand a concept more fully. I need to understand the "Metahuman Zone" and *EXACTLY* what it's demarcations are. Is there anyway you can give those to me/us please?
Fatum
Sure. As per Shadows of Asia and SWA, Awakened Yakut bars its metahuman citizens from entering most of its territory.

QUOTE ( @ Shadows of Asia, p.141)
Large portions of the Siberian interior were declared off-limits to metahumans, and a significant number of villages had to relocate from the Siberian heartland to the fringes, where they often suffered Russian border raids. Use of “inappropriate technology” was severely restricted, as were certain types of magical practices, like conjuring.
QUOTE ( @ Sixth World Almanac, p.132)
Those terms included exile to the fringes of the new country, limits placed on their technology

I use the term Metahuman Zone for the areas where metahumans can settle, and Preserve for the ones off-limits. Completely removing metahumans from the interior seems excessive, however, so I suggest neo-primitivists who live in harmony with the nature were allowed back in.
I'll describe it in more detail in the Yakut chapter.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 18 2013, 09:59 AM) *
Sure. As per Shadows of Asia and SWA, Awakened Yakut bars its metahuman citizens from entering most of its territory.

I use the term Metahuman Zone for the areas where metahumans can settle, and Preserve for the ones off-limits. Completely removing metahumans from the interior seems excessive, however, so I suggest neo-primitivists who live in harmony with the nature were allowed back in.
I'll describe it in more detail in the Yakut chapter.

I think what would clarify this the best is a map.......... specifically declaring known metahuman zones. As for completely removing them from the interior, it would not be impossible ... just impractical in a long term consideration.
Fatum
Maps are something that will be absolutely necessary. I am hoping to bring fexes into producing those, but minding that at the very least a general map of the two countries, a few city maps (I'm thinking Moscow, St.Petersburg, Vladivostok and Yakutsk at least) and a few combat maps (both for large-scale maneuvers and actual engagements) are needed, I might have to make some myself. As for the metahuman zones, what we know is that "the interior" is off limits, so it's likely Southern and Eastern ends of the country that will be designated Metahuman Zone - basically what is more or less densely populated nowadays already. And, as I said, some or all of the rest of the country can be accessible for neo-primitivist deer or mammoth herders.
NeoJudas
A tidbit I ran across today.

http://robertscribbler.wordpress.com/2013/...g-tundra-fires/
Fatum
I'm trying to write up the Awakened Yakut, and right from the very beginning I've run into trouble. As per the books, its population is 21.300.000. Right now, the population of Republic Saha (Yakutia) is around one million men, and a good share of these people are Russians.
Actually, I've compiled some current population numbers for the ethnic minorities of Siberia.

[ Spoiler ]

Add to this some minor ethnicities, each one numbering less than two thousand people, which in total account for maybe 40 thousand more, for a round number of 1,6 million. Where do 20 more millions come from, minding that Russian is a minority language in the country (so they can't just all be the Russian dissidents, green activists, magicians offended with the Euro War or whatever)? Okay, let's say a million are shapeshifters, free spirits and other new arrivals. 19 million, of which around 10 millions tops can be of Russian descent. Still not any better...
Tzeentch
Shadowrun has had a long and troubled history with rather ridiculous population inflation in areas that look geographically large. Canonically, it can be explained a number of ways - including outright lying to obfuscate the actual number of inhabitants to make it more difficult to estimate the number of potential combatants. It's not like most of these awakened countries would run a census.

So I wouldn't take the numbers (Sixth World Almanac, p. 132) with anything but a very large grain of sea salt.
Fatum
Actually, I missed the ethic and language percentages in SoA: basically, Yakuts/Russians/others are 40/40/20. I guess it's possible to justify with exaggerations and lower VITAS death counts thanks to the sparse initial population. On the other hand, when describing the cities, I have to account for the actual population numbers, and it's still hard for me to imagine a sprawl built on permafrost. I guess it'll just end up looking like a huge Norilsk sans the pollution.
Tzeentch
I can help with maps. What do you want to see exactly? Is it stuff not on the SWA map?
Fatum
Ideally, I'd want the maps of the two countries (based on SoA, not 6WA), as well as the maps of the major cities I mention (Moscow, St.Petersburg, Vladivostok, Yakutsk, Magadan) in at least low detailing (largest roads, bodies of water, and city quarters). Maybe maps of a military compound or two, but I'm not sure about that. At least when that was discussed there were people rather enthusiastic about that.

On a side note: at least half a dozen Yakut citizens have to be city-dwellers, where the hell do they get electricity without using fossils, hydroplants (Lena can be used for that, but that'd mean massive flooding) or nuclear (cause hurr nuclear=toxic)?
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 30 2013, 11:29 PM) *
Ideally, I'd want the maps of the two countries (based on SoA, not 6WA), as well as the maps of the major cities I mention (Moscow, St.Petersburg, Vladivostok, Yakutsk, Magadan) in at least low detailing (largest roads, bodies of water, and city quarters). Maybe maps of a military compound or two, but I'm not sure about that. At least when that was discussed there were people rather enthusiastic about that.

On a side note: at least half a dozen Yakut citizens have to be city-dwellers, where the hell do they get electricity without using fossils, hydroplants (Lena can be used for that, but that'd mean massive flooding) or nuclear (cause hurr nuclear=toxic)?

City maps might be a bit too time consuming at the moment, but I'll see what I can do about a regional map (I do use the SWA borders though). Forgot about the Kamchatka rift thing.
Fatum
Thanks for good intentions, but I really don't think a map based on 6WA would work, thanks to massively changing the borders, to the point of a couple cities like Bratsk changing hands.
Tzeentch
They don't look that different to an eyeball comparison except in the NE. The SWA map follows the oblast borders pretty closely which was convenient. I'll rectify the map and see if there are any substantial differences I need to fix.
Fatum
The Germans have already done that.
http://www.shadowhelix.de/images/6/6d/Kart...Differences.png
Fatum
Wrote up an overview of Awakened Yakut and a quick gazetteer of its cities.
Tzeentch
-- What counts as corruptive and offensive technology to the Yakut?

-- God's number as a mentor? I assume this means something like "One of these legendary ancestors serves as the mentor spirit to most Yakutian shamans." ?

-- Different metric systems for shipbuilding?

-- They can't mine in the interior at all? I assume most of the 'industry' of Yakut is agriculture? Where does the electricity come from? How do they pay for the resources used to build the Surgut arcologies?

-- How does the Air Force get aces? Who are they shooting down?

-- Good general sidebar on military magic, but how do the Russians integrate it?

-- The Northern Fleet is hilariously overpowered compared to the TPA naval forces, but I'm not clear what the strategic goal would be here. The TPA doesn't operate much for the ships to sink but they do have a ton of shamans who can send wave after wave of spirits at them (water spirits carrying limpets might be useful against the subs even if they don't just materialize inside the hull and go to town).

-- More later smile.gif
Fatum
I'll get to it in Running in Yakut, but basically, my plan is in the Metahuman zone anything goes, except for the stuff like cyberzombies, genetic chimeras, genetic coctails and samesuch. Maybe nanotech, but I'm on the fense about that one. In the Preserve, anything "tech" is off limits, so no electronics, no devices powered by anything but muscle force, no nothing.

Writing and editing without regaining consciousness, heh. Meant "one of them" or "one of the High Gods", of course.

Haven't I edited it for different measurement systems? Well, the point is, their inherited Russian stuff and whatever they've gathered since is built using the metric system, the hand-me-downs from Amazonia are likely to be built in America using the imperial system. Which means everything ever is incompatible between those.

They can mine in the Metahuman zone, and mining around Magadan is canon as per SoA. There are rare earth metals there, diamonds, gold and whatnot.
Most of the industry has to be agriculture, yes, seeing how they have to feed 20+ millions living on permafrost, but then again, the most eco-friendly of traditional heavy industry could be allowed, too.
The electricity question is a good one: I am not aware of any ways to get it clean enough to work. (Right now Yakutia uses diesel and coal plants). Wind generators could, but Siberia doesn't have enough areas with steady high winds for that. They also have great rivers, but building a hydroplant means creating a reservoir, ruining the ecosystems, so kind of a no-no, too. Maybe some kind of in-flow hydroturbines.
Surgut doesn't have arcologies, it has those filtering fabric domes, Denver-style.

Are you going with the traditional understanding of an ace as a high-scoring pilot, not just s highly qualified one? If it's the meaning implied by the term in English, I guess we'll have to change it.
Then again, Russia has been at war for like 40 years on and off, against the Free Poland very recently, so I guess there can be high-scoring aces, too.

The bit on using mages in the Army is in a shadowtalk comment just above the sidebar?

The boomers are more for the good old nuclear deterrance plus the implied super-power status coming with that (if only for the internal consumption).
As for the rest, the logic goes as stated by the shadowtalkers: having enough hardware means more time to wipe the casters before they wipe out you or start playing GGD-style tricks. And I'm reasonably sure ship weaponry is capable of taking on the spirits that mages can send in wave after wave without keeling over from drain.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 8 2013, 12:15 PM) *
I'll get to it in Running in Yakut, but basically, my plan is in the Metahuman zone anything goes, except for the stuff like cyberzombies, genetic chimeras, genetic coctails and samesuch. Maybe nanotech, but I'm on the fense about that one. In the Preserve, anything "tech" is off limits, so no electronics, no devices powered by anything but muscle force, no nothing.

-- Ok. But I will note that this is causing some theme dissonance as you jump around between different areas. You may want to actually break that chapter into Zone versus Preserve and describe them separately for the most part. They are to a great extent different worlds, have different rules, and different power players.
Haven't I edited it for different measurement systems? Well, the point is, their inherited Russian stuff and whatever they've gathered since is built using the metric system, the hand-me-downs from Amazonia are likely to be built in America using the imperial system. Which means everything ever is incompatible between those.

-- The Americas are all metric in Shadowrun, and have been for a long time. They actually beat you over the head on this in a few books. The component standards are probably different though, which I think is what you were getting at (that is, bolts are standardized to different sizes, a 20 cubic meter module is sized differently, etc.
Most of the industry has to be agriculture, yes, seeing how they have to feed 20+ millions living on permafrost, but then again, the most eco-friendly of traditional heavy industry could be allowed, too.

-- Mentioned it before, but don't be afraid to outright change the population numbers.
The electricity question is a good one: I am not aware of any ways to get it clean enough to work. (Right now Yakutia uses diesel and coal plants). Wind generators could, but Siberia doesn't have enough areas with steady high winds for that. They also have great rivers, but building a hydroplant means creating a reservoir, ruining the ecosystems, so kind of a no-no, too. Maybe some kind of in-flow hydroturbines.

-- Co-gen wood burning furnaces? They're very efficient if done right.
Are you going with the traditional understanding of an ace as a high-scoring pilot, not just s highly qualified one? If it's the meaning implied by the term in English, I guess we'll have to change it.
Then again, Russia has been at war for like 40 years on and off, against the Free Poland very recently, so I guess there can be high-scoring aces, too.

-- "Ace" as applied to military pilots almost always means an actual, military ace (that is, credited with shooting down some number of enemy combat aircraft). Outside of that it just means "good."
The boomers are more for the good old nuclear deterrance plus the implied super-power status coming with that (if only for the internal consumption).
As for the rest, the logic goes as stated by the shadowtalkers: having enough hardware means more time to wipe the casters before they wipe out you or start playing GGD-style tricks. And I'm reasonably sure ship weaponry is capable of taking on the spirits that mages can send in wave after wave without keeling over from drain.

-- Nuclear deterrence is pretty out-of-them for Shadowrun. It also contributes to the feel I get from reading this that it's like reading a treatise on Russian military activity in the 1990s - a lot of it seems only tangentially Shadowrun related. It would be like reading a sourcebook on the UCAS and it talks a lot about Reforger and military training exercises in Germany, and stuff about tactical nuclear missile deployment. It might be interesting, but it wouldn't really be Shadowrun and would look dated.
Fatum
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Aug 9 2013, 06:17 AM) *
-- Ok. But I will note that this is causing some theme dissonance as you jump around between different areas. You may want to actually break that chapter into Zone versus Preserve and describe them separately for the most part. They are to a great extent different worlds, have different rules, and different power players.
They're still the same country, so the idea of just splitting the file in two is not exactly appealing to me.

-- The Americas are all metric in Shadowrun, and have been for a long time. They actually beat you over the head on this in a few books. The component standards are probably different though, which I think is what you were getting at (that is, bolts are standardized to different sizes, a 20 cubic meter module is sized differently, etc.
Okay, my bad then, this will have to be replaced for something like "All their ships are built to different standards, which must turn maintenance logistics into a horror" etc.

-- Mentioned it before, but don't be afraid to outright change the population numbers.
Yeah, we've discussed it before: it's all give or take a few millions, but the principle problems with it remain the same.

-- Co-gen wood burning furnaces? They're very efficient if done right.
I dunno. I guess they have to get rid of dead standing trees, so this is green enough, but how much power is one getting from this? Is it really enough to power cities?

-- "Ace" as applied to military pilots almost always means an actual, military ace (that is, credited with shooting down some number of enemy combat aircraft). Outside of that it just means "good."
I see. Well, this way or another, in forty years of wars, some will inevitably appear.

-- Nuclear deterrence is pretty out-of-them for Shadowrun.
I'm away from books now, so I can't put my finger at the sources, but Russia possessing a fleet of nuke-armed submarines is canon (just as is it still having ICBMs and tactical nukes). I don't exactly like it, either, but it's there.
National prestige, as seen from the inside, must be the leading reason - but then again, when several countries around you have GGD magic, not to mention the corp arms race, retaliatory strike capacity is a nice thing to have just in case.

It also contributes to the feel I get from reading this that it's like reading a treatise on Russian military activity in the 1990s - a lot of it seems only tangentially Shadowrun related. It would be like reading a sourcebook on the UCAS and it talks a lot about Reforger and military training exercises in Germany, and stuff about tactical nuclear missile deployment. It might be interesting, but it wouldn't really be Shadowrun and would look dated.
Well, it's more like the 2000ies than the 1990ies, since the Armed Forces were mostly doing that "falling apart from zero financing" thing back then, but yeah, my writings are likely drawn out and too focused on the army of a single state instead of generalized warfare overview. If you could point out the exact bits worth cutting in your opinion, we can see about that. On the other hand, while, say, the section on the fleet offers preciously little in the way of directly shadowrun-related hooks, if there's to be a description of a naval combat down the line, shouldn't the readers have an impression of what the force buildup is?

UPD: I've found the thread where we discussed the submarines: here it is.
I also fixed the errors you've pointed out so far, I hope.
Tzeentch
BTW could you add page numbers to this document?

- I'm not entirely clear why the Russians have not crushed Yakut, or at least removed their metahuman population as an effective player. It also leads to some questions regarding their (in)effectiveness in Poland (above and beyond writer fiat).

-- Why do soldiers wear K-10 pendants. Is this forced on them? It's also a rare, experimental (and flawed) combat drug, so not sure why it would be common for Russian foot soliders?

-- "Batman" as a term has been pretty much defunct since WWI. Just replace it with "personal aide."

-- Geostationary orbit is a poor location for surveillance satellites. A few LEO satellites could probably provide a reasonable revisit time. Anything more serious you can fly over a suborbital.

-- Actual fission reactors on killsats? Not entirely sure why that would be useful, and you would need highly-enriched fuels (like is used for submarines) to have a decent lifespan (10-15 years). BTW http://www.nato-pa.int/default.asp?SHORTCUT=367 might have some useful notes.

-- For the VV, "crape" is weird. That's a type of fabric from what I gather from Wiki. I would replace that with "crimson" or "rust red" if you are referring to the color. (It also looks humorously close to say "Crap Berets").

-- Wouldn't Amazonia be keeping a lot of equipment for itself since its been fighting Aztlan for years upon years now? I assume this is where most of the countries hard currency goes?

Fatum
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Aug 15 2013, 09:22 AM) *
BTW could you add page numbers to this document?
Well, if google.docs is capable of adding page numbers, I will.

- I'm not entirely clear why the Russians have not crushed Yakut, or at least removed their metahuman population as an effective player. It also leads to some questions regarding their (in)effectiveness in Poland (above and beyond writer fiat).
Because the Yakut have superior magic and terrain familiarity? Or maybe they were affraid of the GGD? If we're talking IC reasons.
OOC an aggressive imperialist power like SR Russia can never win anything for good.

-- Why do soldiers wear K-10 pendants. Is this forced on them? It's also a rare, experimental (and flawed) combat drug, so not sure why it would be common for Russian foot soliders?
It's not like each of them does, but it's meant to be a thing.
K-10 isn't all that rare, minding that it has availability comparable to that of Ares Alpha.

-- "Batman" as a term has been pretty much defunct since WWI. Just replace it with "personal aide."
Well yeah, it seemed strange, but my dictionary only offered "striker" as an alternative, which isn't any better, is it.

-- Geostationary orbit is a poor location for surveillance satellites. A few LEO satellites could probably provide a reasonable revisit time. Anything more serious you can fly over a suborbital.
It is for modern-day ones due to the high altitude, but in SR, optics have significantly improved. Keeping a whole surveillance sat constellation around seems like a bit too much for a nation in SR.
Sats have a great bonus compared to high-altitude recon flights: they're unreachable for spirits.

-- Actual fission reactors on killsats? Not entirely sure why that would be useful, and you would need highly-enriched fuels (like is used for submarines) to have a decent lifespan (10-15 years). BTW http://www.nato-pa.int/default.asp?SHORTCUT=367 might have some useful notes.
For high peak output when feeding the weapons?

-- For the VV, "crape" is weird. That's a type of fabric from what I gather from Wiki. I would replace that with "crimson" or "rust red" if you are referring to the color. (It also looks humorously close to say "Crap Berets").
Crimson's great, will change.

-- Wouldn't Amazonia be keeping a lot of equipment for itself since its been fighting Aztlan for years upon years now? I assume this is where most of the countries hard currency goes?
Well, there's double reasoning here for me. First, foreseeing a war with Atzlan was not all that difficult, so they must've invested in rearmament massively. And all the replaced stuff has to go somewhere. Second, I'm a bit hard-pressed to find alternative sources for Yakut weapons, minding their treatment of the megacorps. I guess they could be buying firearms or armour or something like that on that money they're making on mining, but anything resembling a navy?
Fatum
Page numbers inserted.
Rephrased the bit on K-10.
Replaced "batman" with "personal aide", now this text is devoid of superheroes.
Replaced "crape" with "crimson".
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 15 2013, 06:40 AM) *
Because the Yakut have superior magic and terrain familiarity? Or maybe they were affraid of the GGD? If we're talking IC reasons.
OOC an aggressive imperialist power like SR Russia can never win anything for good.

Without context very little of the military material seems relevant to Shadowrun. The Russians have dozens of mechanized infantry regiments . . . that do absolutely nothing despite whatever is going on in Poland and flareups in Yakut.

Thinking about this a bit I would suggest taking a look at what you have then budget 10,000 words for the Russian section as a whole (splitting Yahut into a separate section). Write yourself a brief outline and then fit everything into that budget -including game mechanics you think are core, and the shadowtalk. Move the vehicles to a separate document and budget it differently.

This will help you pare things down to the core ideas and really throw important/not important into starker contrast. It sounds rough, but it will help the final product a lot.
It is for modern-day ones due to the high altitude, but in SR, optics have significantly improved. Keeping a whole surveillance sat constellation around seems like a bit too much for a nation in SR.
Sats have a great bonus compared to high-altitude recon flights: they're unreachable for spirits.

Suborbitals are just as unreachable AFAIK. And having the satellites in GEO isn't advantageous even with SR optics (which btw are nothing special from what I can tell), since even if they were godlike they would be even more godlike closer up.
Fatum
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Aug 16 2013, 01:58 AM) *
Without context very little of the military material seems relevant to Shadowrun.
Yeah see, the goal of the alt.War project is not just describing the particular beef between the Russians and the Yakutians, it's giving a wider context of military might used in Shadowrun. So for that I'm using two sufficiently different Armed Forces, to give the readers an idea of how those things can work at all, and how they can differ. Hence the sidebars on "X in the military", etc.

The Russians have dozens of mechanized infantry regiments . . . that do absolutely nothing despite whatever is going on in Poland and flareups in Yakut.
Well, who do you think was fighting in Poland before it got its independence after the Second Crush, and who fights the border skirmishes with Yakut? Who controlled the conquests of the Border Wars and the first stage of the First Eurowar? Who fought simultaneously in Finland, Germany, Austria, Czech, Siberia, and then in addition Caucasus?

Thinking about this a bit I would suggest taking a look at what you have then budget 10,000 words for the Russian section as a whole (splitting Yahut into a separate section). Write yourself a brief outline and then fit everything into that budget -including game mechanics you think are core, and the shadowtalk.
Uh. The current amount of info on Russia, both on civilian life and military, is a little more than thrice that. That's some 88 pages in Google.Docs, counting the pictures (I strongly suspect the pdf will be smaller, judging by the precedent with Cyborgs Unveiled). Meanwhile, Atzlan, the book on another major nation of the Sixth World, is 197 pages long. Tir na Nog is 178, Tir Tairngire 158, Germany Sourcebook 171, London Sourcebook describes a single city on 170. I'm too lazy to reach for my Berlin Sourcebook right now, but trust me it's rather fat, too.

This will help you pare things down to the core ideas and really throw important/not important into starker contrast. It sounds rough, but it will help the final product a lot.
What exactly do you want to see as the end result? Sixth World Almanac? Shadows of Asia, with barely a two-sentence paragraph to describe a city?

Suborbitals are just as unreachable AFAIK.
As per Neo-Anarchist's Guide to Real Life, p.24, their entire flight path is through the Gaiasphere.

And having the satellites in GEO isn't advantageous even with SR optics (which btw are nothing special from what I can tell), since even if they were godlike they would be even more godlike closer up.
Well if you don't consider having contact lenses that eliminate any range penalties a few kilometers out to be special, I don't know what special is.
Okay, right, from LEO a spysat will be able to make out not just the stars on their shoulder straps, but also the stains on their ends. But is that really necessary?
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 16 2013, 12:11 AM) *
Yeah see, the goal of the alt.War project is not just describing the particular beef between the Russians and the Yakutians, it's giving a wider context of military might used in Shadowrun. So for that I'm using two sufficiently different Armed Forces, to give the readers an idea of how those things can work at all, and how they can differ. Hence the sidebars on "X in the military", etc.

I suggest paring things down to help see what is central to your design goal. The Shadows of Latin America stuff is really good, partly because they stuck to some wordcount limits and thus avoided any meandering or off-topic discussions (not surprising given the origins of the drafts).
What exactly do you want to see as the end result? Sixth World Almanac? Shadows of Asia, with barely a two-sentence paragraph to describe a city?

10,000 words is a considerable amount of text. And yes, sometimes that means you have to focus on certain elements and leave other parts to the imagination.
As per Neo-Anarchist's Guide to Real Life, p.24, their entire flight path is through the Gaiasphere.

See Magic in the Shadows, p. 86 for more detail. For some reason I don't see much on this in Hazard Pay or Street Magic.
Well if you don't consider having contact lenses that eliminate any range penalties a few kilometers out to be special, I don't know what special is.
Okay, right, from LEO a spysat will be able to make out not just the stars on their shoulder straps, but also the stains on their ends. But is that really necessary?

Image magnification in SR5 is x50 (digital) zoom. It reduces range penalties by one category. It no longer knocks range penalties to Short like it did in SR4A.
Fatum
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Aug 16 2013, 07:30 AM) *
I suggest paring things down to help see what is central to your design goal. The Shadows of Latin America stuff is really good, partly because they stuck to some wordcount limits and thus avoided any meandering or off-topic discussions (not surprising given the origins of the drafts).
Shadows of Latin America is written to comply with the guidelines set by the rest of the Shadows of Worldpart books. Yakut Shuffle is written to look more like single country setting books mentioned above.

10,000 words is a considerable amount of text. And yes, sometimes that means you have to focus on certain elements and leave other parts to the imagination.
About 20 pages, to be precise.
Now, please explain, why is it necessary to cut two thirds of existing material? So that the writing would comply the usual style lately, where whole organizations are described on a quarter of a page? What's the benefit? We're not printing this, so no page limit looms.
I'll explain my hesitation: imagine that I agreed to do just that, the most obvious candidate for being thrown away would be that couple of pages on the 382 MSP (p.64 and on). Still, of the three times I've seen my work praised, that part was mentioned in two.

See Magic in the Shadows, p. 86 for more detail. For some reason I don't see much on this in Hazard Pay or Street Magic.
Because CGL lol. Anyway, Gaiasphere is canonically out to some 100km, suborbitals fly at 60 to 80.

Image magnification in SR5 is x50 (digital) zoom. It reduces range penalties by one category. It no longer knocks range penalties to Short like it did in SR4A.
Yes, SR5 also makes datachips and RFIDs finger-sized, cyberware twice more expensive, and so on, and so for. So despite 50x in contacts still being several times better than what we can possibly have now, I'm going to ignore SR5 tech "developments" as complete and utter fucking bullshit written by rabid monkeys 3E fanboys.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 16 2013, 05:01 PM) *
About 20 pages, to be precise.
Now, please explain, why is it necessary to cut two thirds of existing material?

Consider it a writing exercise. You have a lot of "so what" material, and this can help you pare down to a more manageable size and direct focus. Most of the material on the Russian fleets could be reduced to a c-header and italic subheads, for example, and probably not lose any major plot points. (i.e. A-HEAD:Russian Military, B-HEAD:Navy, C-HEAD:Fleets).
So that the writing would comply the usual style lately, where whole organizations are described on a quarter of a page? What's the benefit? We're not printing this, so no page limit looms.

The benefit is for the reader. Huge fanbooks are interesting, but often hard to read because they are so cluttered and expansive. I know, I wrote a 200+ page Matrix sourcebook. Was it worth it? Looking back, probably not. I got more use out of hacking the book into parts that could slot into smaller articles and projects. Which is why I suggest that here.
I'll explain my hesitation: imagine that I agreed to do just that, the most obvious candidate for being thrown away would be that couple of pages on the 382 MSP (p.64 and on). Still, of the three times I've seen my work praised, that part was mentioned in two.

You may want to consider modularizing the work into sections in such a case.
Yes, SR5 also makes datachips and RFIDs finger-sized, cyberware twice more expensive, and so on, and so for. So despite 50x in contacts still being several times better than what we can possibly have now, I'm going to ignore SR5 tech "developments" as complete and utter fucking bullshit written by rabid monkeys 3E fanboys.

<shrug>
Fatum
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Aug 17 2013, 03:46 AM) *
Consider it a writing exercise.
I'd rather consider it a pleasant pastime.

You have a lot of "so what" material, and this can help you pare down to a more manageable size and direct focus.
I think this to be the case for the army stuff in general. Like, stats for tanks and cruise missiles? Stats for a fucking THOR shot, like War! had? What's the practical use for most groups?

Most of the material on the Russian fleets could be reduced to a c-header and italic subheads, for example, and probably not lose any major plot points. (i.e. A-HEAD:Russian Military, B-HEAD:Navy, C-HEAD:Fleets).
Yeah, no doubt the navy part is rather poor on plothooks, possibly because there's little for the runners to do with military ships other than sabotage.
On the other hand, part of the purpose of the writing is giving GMs an idea of how things work - like our discussion on Russian boomer subs I linked a couple posts ago. So a German thinking "hmm, it'd be cool if my players were engaged with some kind of nuclear sub highjack, I wonder if they're around" would be able to find both whether they're in fact still around (and this is why I mention Stormvogel and Stormbringer), and why could that be minding the 60 years of revolutionary changes to warfare.

You may want to consider modularizing the work into sections in such a case.
This is absolutely what is happening; after all, a finished item is likely to be fuckhundred pages long. The chapters are rather self-contained: overview of Russia, overview of Yakut; Russian Armed Forces, Yakut Armed Forces, Sagan Zaba Armed Forces; history of the campaign and the roles runners can play in it; military equipment. It's likely to be four tomes, as separated by semicolons - after all, Sagan Zaba doesn't have a chapter on peaceful life there, so splitting by country won't really work. Or maybe three, with the actual campaign and the game info making one volume. I'd say the degree of completion is about 80, 80; 70, 60, 0; 10, 70 percent, respectively.

<shrug>
I can see tech degradation and no tech development due to catastrophic events, but 5E had nothing of the kind, so I'm just calling shehanigans. The whole current metaplot direction is subpar: it's either driving legacy subplots into the ground, or developing uncreative new ones. Technology rebels to possess humans? Yeah, Shadowrun has never seen anything like that.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 17 2013, 01:52 AM) *
I think this to be the case for the army stuff in general. Like, stats for tanks and cruise missiles? Stats for a fucking THOR shot, like War! had? What's the practical use for most groups?

They would have been plenty practical, if the description and damage codes for the Thor shots made more sense. You can probably shoot for a higher bar than War!, though.
Yeah, no doubt the navy part is rather poor on plothooks, possibly because there's little for the runners to do with military ships other than sabotage.

That might be handled as a specifically Navy campaign, with the players as troubleshooters on a patrol boat or the crew of a small special ops minisub.
I can see tech degradation and no tech development due to catastrophic events, but 5E had nothing of the kind, so I'm just calling shehanigans. The whole current metaplot direction is subpar: it's either driving legacy subplots into the ground, or developing uncreative new ones. Technology rebels to possess humans? Yeah, Shadowrun has never seen anything like that.

I'm a bit more sanguine about that level of Shadowrun, having seen how "the sausage is made." I also skipped SR4 so it's actually nice to see some of the "throwback" elements. And some of the legacy subplots were little more than sketches of ideas, there's not much to "run into the ground" if you are thinking there was some master plan behind things like the Washington Rift, the Amazonian war, Ghostwalker, and so on.
Fatum
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Aug 17 2013, 06:44 AM) *
They would have been plenty practical, if the description and damage codes for the Thor shots made more sense. You can probably shoot for a higher bar than War!, though.
If you remember, older books did not even give stats for tanks. "You're not dealing with a tank head on, period". I don't think this approach ideal, because what if the runners steal said tank, but I can certainly see the reasoning behind it.
And let's be fair, most of the military toys, everything past light armour, heavier firearms and maybe small-caliber artillery is right out of the scope of Shadowrun. Ships only need stats for maybe some large scale battles runners might participate in, but surely runners are not controlling or engaging an aircraft carrier the way they would a Mobmaster.

That might be handled as a specifically Navy campaign, with the players as troubleshooters on a patrol boat or the crew of a small special ops minisub.
Maybe I'll write a chapterette on GMing Shadowrun military campaigns, a-la Fields of Fire. Like, "how can your table use the info in this book", "typical shadowrunner jobs in the armed forces", that kind of thing.

I'm a bit more sanguine about that level of Shadowrun, having seen how "the sausage is made." I also skipped SR4 so it's actually nice to see some of the "throwback" elements. And some of the legacy subplots were little more than sketches of ideas, there's not much to "run into the ground" if you are thinking there was some master plan behind things like the Washington Rift, the Amazonian war, Ghostwalker, and so on.
Maybe you're more optimistic precisely because you skipped the late fourth. Even if there were no solid subplots planned, which is naturally usually the case, there was potential for conflict and interesting plot development (that's, btw, what I'm trying to do in this fan supplement, but I'm not sure if I'm leaving a bit too much to GM fiat). So the resolution of that conflict, - oh, Atzlan vs Amazonia? well, they made peace, Atzlan getting 20 km worth of territory, and they also almost killed a Great Dragon, except they didn't! - is extremely disappointing.
Speaking metaphorically, it's as if some prior book describes an arcology, and you start imagining all the cool things that might be inside, only to find in a latter book that there's nothing but dust there. A solid plothook, driven right into the ground.

Not to mention the internal inconsistencies (see the beginning of this thread, SK chapter in Corporate Guide says SK got the Russian Matrix contract, Evo chapter says Evo did), horrific editing (Tadashi-Tadeshi thrice on a single page, dragon "hordes" and samesuch), unbelievably shitty stats, and the general nonsense in the plot development.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 17 2013, 11:55 PM) *
If you remember, older books did not even give stats for tanks.

-- That was also in the "military are NPC game-ending threats" era as well. From reading Fields of Fire and other books that touched on military issues, I don't think the original authors really grokked military stuff. Plus tank battles doesn't really fit neatly into the thematic style that Shadowrun was pursuing. The game scope has gotten larger over time, and more of the authors came in with a military background (e.g. Jon Szeto, myself).
Maybe I'll write a chapterette on GMing Shadowrun military campaigns, a-la Fields of Fire. Like, "how can your table use the info in this book", "typical shadowrunner jobs in the armed forces", that kind of thing.

-- Most of the archetype roles have military analogues, especially if you orient the campaign towards special forces operators and direct action agents. It doesn't hurt to provide some broad guidelines. GURPS Special Ops might be a useful resource.
Maybe you're more optimistic precisely because you skipped the late fourth.

-- I hear that a lot smile.gif
Atzlan getting 20 km worth of territory, and they also almost killed a Great Dragon, except they didn't! - is extremely disappointing.

-- Actually I didn't mind all that. At least they brought that to a conclusion, it had been dragging on WAY too long. Of course, that makes the Bogota situation a bit anti-climatic.
-- The Lofywr/Alamais part was a head-scratcher. I didn't get a whole lot out of that section with regards to Shadowrun military activity besides "don't line up like in GI Joe, open fire, and expect that to work well."
Speaking metaphorically, it's as if some prior book describes an arcology, and you start imagining all the cool things that might be inside, only to find in a latter book that there's nothing but dust there. A solid plothook, driven right into the ground.

-- I can see that it might have been built up a bit much. Personally I wish War! had focused more on conflict in general, and not the slow-motion train wreck of the Aztlan-Amazonian conflict that I am hard pressed to come up with reasons I should have cared about in the first place.
Not to mention the internal inconsistencies (see the beginning of this thread, SK chapter in Corporate Guide says SK got the Russian Matrix contract, Evo chapter says Evo did), horrific editing (Tadashi-Tadeshi thrice on a single page, dragon "hordes" and samesuch), unbelievably shitty stats, and the general nonsense in the plot development.

-- Canon inconsistencies are a problem, but not inexcusable. Yeah, I've noted the stats before, in the War! thread for example. Running the numbers isn't something that many people find fun, though smile.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Aug 28 2013, 04:00 AM) *
That was also in the "military are NPC game-ending threats" era as well.
You know, between the approach in FoF, "Don't even think of ever taking this thing head on", and the approach in War! And MilSpecTech, "Okay, here are the stats for a tank - you can't punch through its hardened armour with most all weapons, including tank guns and naval main calibers, and it also flies as fast as a plane; oh and remember supercarriers? here are the stats for those!", I personally vastly prefer the first option. Runners are not frontline grunts, and they don't normally have multi-million toys to play in that league otherwise.

It doesn't hurt to provide some broad guidelines. GURPS Special Ops might be a useful resource.
That's word and page count. And yeah, GURPS is a good resource generally if you want to make something believably realistic.

At least they brought that to a conclusion, it had been dragging on WAY too long. Of course, that makes the Bogota situation a bit anti-climatic.
I wish War! had focused more on conflict in general, and not the slow-motion train wreck of the Aztlan-Amazonian conflict that I am hard pressed to come up with reasons I should have cared about in the first place.
War! was meant to use that war as a typical example of a conflict, but failed spectacularly.
Now, as to why you should have cared... You see, a large part of Shadowrun's appeal, as for me, is its diverse setting, where countries are different and interesting, - like, this one is a corporate state, that one is Amerinds selling their land to the Man amid internal strife, and that one over there is a troll magical kingdom. This is the feel I am aiming to capture in Yakut Shuffle (dunno if successful or not), and one that has been steadily downplayed in the Fourth - see the new Japanese policies, or the Berlin storyline, etc.
Amazonia is a nation with a lot of flavour and potential - a magical ecologically-minded country headed by dragons and no stranger to blood magic. Atzlan is great this way, too, for reasons obvious. Their conflict had long been set up, and held lots of potential for awesome - both sides had blood mages with loci in their disposal, both sides generally had fearsome magic and military, except one was more focused on technology, and the other on the Awakened. This was what this war could have been. Instead, hurr durr Bogota, hurr durr devil trees.

The Lofywr/Alamais part was a head-scratcher.
Nah, I meant Atzlan killing Sirrurg (except not quite).

As for the Lofwyr-Alamais affair, it was a total catastrophe. I can't even list all the reasons, why.
1) Utter failure in dragon characterization.
A) Dragons are some of the most powerful creatures of the world not because of being flying magical IFVs (tanks in the case of Greats), but because they're schemers and conspirators. Alamais turning from a powerful behind-the-scene destabilization source working with terrorist cells and extremists into a mindless predator is absolutely absurd.
B) Runners are certainly not privy to the decisions of the Greats kurultai. Not even the jackpointers. And if some are and they spill the beans, they are not long for this world.
C) inconsistencies in personal characterization. In addition to the retardation of Alamais, Lofwyr has always been a dragon supremacist - yet now he apparently orders metahumans to finish off his brother, Alamais is so extreme a dragon supremacist his dragons attack his own metahuman forces, yet in addition to wholly functionally superior magical devices he also uses metahuman tech, etc.
D) Inconsistencies in fluff: the Loremaster is neither a ruler nor a spokesperson for the dragons; dragons are well capable of protecting their lairs with minions and magic, etc.
2) Utter failure in runner characterization.
Runners are not be all - end all hirelings. Stormfront describes runners as being used as frontline troops (are there even enough runners in the world to form a division? How many of them are stupid enough not only to make a deal with a dragon, but dive into actual military warfare on that drafon's behalf?). But this is not all. Melee fighting a Great Dragon? Runners. Retrieving a hoard of an exiled dragon? Runners (hey, they can be trusted with valuables after all, right?)! Protecting a dragon's lair? Not Awakened or metahuman minions, runners!
3) Utter failure in describing warfare.
Basically, none of the operation as it is described makes sense. Staging area for a few thousand irregulars gathered to replace an army just a few kilometers away from the enemy's position, that is not harried once? Ambushes that start a panic, but are not followed up by a developing attack? Unprotected minefields? Dragons attacking own allies, and using breath weapons, maws and claws and goddamn fucking grenades?!
Etc etc etc, I think I've described my impressions.

Canon inconsistencies are a problem, but not inexcusable.
I have no problems with fluff inconsistencies if they're playing on unreliable nature of the narration in the books to slighty retcon things for the better. When they're just failures to look up stuff and coordinate writing effort, they are inexcusable errors on the editors' and coordinator's side - they're simply not doing their job.

Yeah, I've noted the stats before, in the War! thread for example. Running the numbers isn't something that many people find fun, though smile.gif
Hell, you don't even need to run the numbers not to make errors like these. Just read the goddamn fragging descriptions of vehicle upgrades, and don't add Improved Suspension on APCs and Improved Ballast Tanks on carriers! This is just sloppy, disrespecting both own work and the reader.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 28 2013, 06:56 AM) *
You know, between the approach in FoF, "Don't even think of ever taking this thing head on", and the approach in War! And MilSpecTech, "Okay, here are the stats for a tank - you can't punch through its hardened armour with most all weapons, including tank guns and naval main calibers, and it also flies as fast as a plane; oh and remember supercarriers? here are the stats for those!", I personally vastly prefer the first option. Runners are not frontline grunts, and they don't normally have multi-million toys to play in that league otherwise.

-- The current freelancers get a lot of flack on this, but do remember that this escalation started back in Cyberpirates. If anything, the overall scale has actually dropped down since Rigger 3. Hence the various jokes about Rigger always being the sourcebook that detonates the current edition (until SR5 that is).
War! was meant to use that war as a typical example of a conflict, but failed spectacularly.

-- Was that how it was advertised? (I honestly don't know)
-- If so, I think it was a bad example of a 'typical' conflict, if just because it was being fought between two very large, centrally directed and largely stable, nations that were heavily invested in Awakened forces.
Now, as to why you should have cared... You see, a large part of Shadowrun's appeal, as for me, is its diverse setting, where countries are different and interesting, - like, this one is a corporate state, that one is Amerinds selling their land to the Man amid internal strife, and that one over there is a troll magical kingdom. This is the feel I am aiming to capture in Yakut Shuffle (dunno if successful or not), and one that has been steadily downplayed in the Fourth - see the new Japanese policies, or the Berlin storyline, etc.

-- There's an ebb and flow to plotlines. Some fail (I don't consider the Halley's Comet stuff to be very good, in retrospect) and others succeed for reasons I am puzzled by (shedim, guess they rode the zombie popularity surge).
-- I like your setting information stuff a lot. My main issue is with the amount of material devoted to 'encyclopedia' entries on the military side smile.gif
Amazonia is a nation with a lot of flavour and potential - a magical ecologically-minded country headed by dragons and no stranger to blood magic. Atzlan is great this way, too, for reasons obvious. Their conflict had long been set up, and held lots of potential for awesome - both sides had blood mages with loci in their disposal, both sides generally had fearsome magic and military, except one was more focused on technology, and the other on the Awakened. This was what this war could have been. Instead, hurr durr Bogota, hurr durr devil trees.

-- True.
Nah, I meant Atzlan killing Sirrurg (except not quite).

-- Didn't mind that, like I said. His stats were completely disconnected from the fiction, however.
As for the Lofwyr-Alamais affair, it was a total catastrophe. I can't even list all the reasons, why.

-- Yeah I can agree with a lot of these. The Jackpointers having the ultimate inside scoop on everything and hoarding that info among the what, 20 regulars, was a strange decision at the beginning of 4e. I know the reasons why (the stable of shadowtalkers was getting out of hand, for one thing), but I am not a huge fan of how it worked throughout the edition.
Hell, you don't even need to run the numbers not to make errors like these. Just read the goddamn fragging descriptions of vehicle upgrades, and don't add Improved Suspension on APCs and Improved Ballast Tanks on carriers! This is just sloppy, disrespecting both own work and the reader.

-- Well, blame the Arsenal writers for that one. There's only two levels of Ballast Tanks. One for shallow water, and the other for literally everything else smile.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Aug 28 2013, 11:43 AM) *
-- The current freelancers get a lot of flack on this, but do remember that this escalation started back in Cyberpirates. If anything, the overall scale has actually dropped down since Rigger 3. Hence the various jokes about Rigger always being the sourcebook that detonates the current edition (until SR5 that is).
Can't quite remember howitzer, THOR shot or carrier stats in either of those.

-- Was that how it was advertised? (I honestly don't know)
It was advertised as a book about military conflicts in the Sixth World, not THE conflict, yes.

-- If so, I think it was a bad example of a 'typical' conflict, if just because it was being fought between two very large, centrally directed and largely stable, nations that were heavily invested in Awakened forces.
By the 70ies, that seems more like a rule than an exception.

-- There's an ebb and flow to plotlines. Some fail (I don't consider the Halley's Comet stuff to be very good, in retrospect) and others succeed for reasons I am puzzled by (shedim, guess they rode the zombie popularity surge).
Sure. But it's still sad to see a promising one driven into the ground.
Also, Halley's Comet gave us catgirls.

-- I like your setting information stuff a lot. My main issue is with the amount of material devoted to 'encyclopedia' entries on the military side smile.gif
Well I'm trying to fit in the stuff War! lacked.

Didn't mind that, like I said. His stats were completely disconnected from the fiction, however.
I wouldn't really mind if they killed him (although, to be fair, at this speed, we're running out of Greats really soon).
My problem with that piece of fluff is precisely that all the commotion was seemingly for nothing.

The Jackpointers having the ultimate inside scoop on everything and hoarding that info among the what, 20 regulars, was a strange decision at the beginning of 4e. I know the reasons why (the stable of shadowtalkers was getting out of hand, for one thing), but I am not a huge fan of how it worked throughout the edition.
I have no problem with a stable set of shadowtalkers (althought admittedly I'd prefer a larger set, maybe at least three experts on every topic), just the fact that they know entirely too much, and entirely too reliably.

-- Well, blame the Arsenal writers for that one. There's only two levels of Ballast Tanks. One for shallow water, and the other for literally everything else smile.gif
None of the naval vessels in War, except subs, needed Ballast Tanks at all. Cargo ships, cruisers, destroyers and aircraft carriers are not supposed to be submersible.
Oh, and CGL, of course, refuses to acknowledge the blunder.
Fatum
Uploaded a tiny chapterette on Yakut crime, and also added some art here and there. I consider the pic on p.48 an especially lucky find (it's from Harlequin's Back)!
NeoJudas
Couple things (yeah, I've been silent for a bit).

Fatum... I like the expansions and clean-ups you've done. THANK YOU. I appreciate deeply the ideas and filler material you are giving to us here.

Tzeentch ... ah guy, long time no see. Should've expected to hear more out of you with SR5's release and you've not let me down.

Do have a few things, flow-of-consciousness type responses here:

In-Flow hydroelectic power is stunningly efficient now and could readily be done in the urban areas with rivers readily as part of the flow-controls. Build a canal for some of the water. End of discussion.

Piezo-electric streets. Japan is about to do them now, real world. Test zones have been established. The amount of power is staggering. We recently applied the technology to the Trans-Siberian Railroad (the ties and rails) and came up with power measured WAAAAAY Beyond the Megawatt ranges.

Solar-Domes ... it's a joke idea we once had here. Get a Light Spell, throw in "Elemental (Sunlight)" build a dome with the interior as solar-cell. Cast Spell. Quicken (especially with SR5 Quickening... gasp). Readily available option that is both tech and magic and not hard to do.

Military - "Russia" has always used the military powers actions/responses as a means of keeping people both employed and busy (idle hands, Idle Minds, etc...). This is no exception. It is a methodology that each generation teaches to the next through exemplification. Sadly, it is also the reason that "Russia" will never be capable of taking out Yakutian Forces let alone anything else like Evo (Yamatetsu-NT). Too many lined pockets ... I mean, how do you think Putin has become to rich again???

I *REALLY* liked the idea of Permits/Licenses for Firearms/Ranged Weapons in alterations. I would not however adjust the "AVAILABILITY" of such stuff. In fact, as taken by recent examples here in the US right now, the more people you have with permits (and an interest in self-preservation) the more uncommon/rare stuff like ammunition becomes. But I have to admit this gave me all sorts of ideas of what "Grandma teaches the kids instead of farming".

Fatum, you mention editing options in the material, but I couldn't seem to do anything in shadowtalk areas or suggestions to stuff as I read through it again. Help?

Tzeentch
QUOTE (NeoJudas @ Sep 3 2013, 06:14 AM) *
Tzeentch ... ah guy, long time no see. Should've expected to hear more out of you with SR5's release and you've not let me down.

-- I actually like the throwback elements of SR5 smile.gif
In-Flow hydroelectic power is stunningly efficient now and could readily be done in the urban areas with rivers readily as part of the flow-controls. Build a canal for some of the water. End of discussion.

-- It probably doesn't need to be described in any detail, nor do you really need to get into inconvenient stuff like rivers freezing and such smile.gif
Piezo-electric streets. Japan is about to do them now, real world. Test zones have been established. The amount of power is staggering. We recently applied the technology to the Trans-Siberian Railroad (the ties and rails) and came up with power measured WAAAAAY Beyond the Megawatt ranges.

-- Maintaining rail and road with concrete and wooden ties is hard enough. I'm going to stay cynical on large scale rollouts of this kind of thing.
Solar-Domes ... it's a joke idea we once had here. Get a Light Spell, throw in "Elemental (Sunlight)" build a dome with the interior as solar-cell. Cast Spell. Quicken (especially with SR5 Quickening... gasp). Readily available option that is both tech and magic and not hard to do.

-- Yeah, there's a lot of "something for nothing" in the rules. My current favorite is explosive power generation using the crazy "chunky salsa" rules, as the casing only needs to withstand the initial blast wave.
Fatum
First of all, I'd like to note I'm writing stuff on religion, but left my draft at work :3

QUOTE (NeoJudas @ Sep 3 2013, 10:14 AM) *
Fatum... I like the expansions and clean-ups you've done. THANK YOU. I appreciate deeply the ideas and filler material you are giving to us here.
It's always nice to hear someone's reading all that gibberish.
On a side note, I met an enthusiastic Russian Shadowrun player off this site by chance - turns out she's read my fan supplements! I'M A SUPERSTAR!

Yeah, the port facilities in RL Yakutsk had a lot of dredging done on Lena as it is.

Ha, yeah, that's an example of a popular set of ideas on seemingly free energy production in Shadowrun. I've referenced that idea in my write-up of Novosibirsk, with an experimental powerplant burning out the mana in its vicinity and becoming a void used by the UGB to store dangerous magical artifacts it comes across.

Military - "Russia" has always used the military powers actions/responses as a means of keeping people both employed and busy (idle hands, Idle Minds, etc...). This is no exception. It is a methodology that each generation teaches to the next through exemplification.
Do you mean the military-industrial complex, or the conscript army? Because if it's the former, well, Russia's not the one with the largest one around, and it's acting as a drive for the high-tech industry in the country. If it's the former, well, we have a hilariously low population density, so when the generals explain we need a conscript army to have everyone prepared for defense should the worst come to worst, I can see the logic behind it. Or maybe it's just WWII PTSD.

Sadly, it is also the reason that "Russia" will never be capable of taking out Yakutian Forces let alone anything else like Evo (Yamatetsu-NT). Too many lined pockets ... I mean, how do you think Putin has become to rich again???
I am not so sure about Yakutian forces, because they're not really a well-oiled machine, either. What I plan for the actual campaign is a lot of fighting with little progress made, then the Russian army grinding forward slowly, only to be stopped by various setbacks and covert operations. You can see parts of those plans in the draft (in red). I'm not planning on writing up anything final and definitive, instead leaving the fate of the war up to the GMs (and runner actions) to decide.
Why would Russia take on Evo? Evo is a megacorp, not a military organization, it's exercising a whole other type of soft power, which basically already lands Russia in its pocket, especially now after SK role in Poland debacle.
I'm not exactly sure how Putin became so rich, especially minding that we have no definitive proof of him personally being rich to begin with :ь

I *REALLY* liked the idea of Permits/Licenses for Firearms/Ranged Weapons in alterations. I would not however adjust the "AVAILABILITY" of such stuff. In fact, as taken by recent examples here in the US right now, the more people you have with permits (and an interest in self-preservation) the more uncommon/rare stuff like ammunition becomes. But I have to admit this gave me all sorts of ideas of what "Grandma teaches the kids instead of farming".
Well, it's an idea I picked from older books - remember those had legality tables, border crossing tables, price adjustment tables? I'm not going for all of those, but I'm going to mention.
It seems to you that ammo is harder to get because you're on a free market, used to open supply. I can assure you that had ammo been illegal to acquire (or even requiring a difficult to acquire license), it'd be much harder to find and buy.
Heck, for a license-only stuff, you can still just walk into a shop and get some for a fake SIN/license. With illegal stuff, or if you want the license-only stuff without the record, you have to resort to dealing in the underworld - and it's much harder a task than just buying from an established shop. So naturally it raises Availability.

Fatum, you mention editing options in the material, but I couldn't seem to do anything in shadowtalk areas or suggestions to stuff as I read through it again. Help?
I remember sharing it for the whole net, but apparently I reconsidered some time in the past. I'll give you access as soon as you give me your mail address, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012