Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The ability of Contacts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ghost_in_the_System
Sadly most runners likely have a connection 1 because contacts are so darn expensive nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
Connection 1 characters can still be very useful.

Krunch and Klub are Connection 1 characters, and they took out a gang pretty much by themselves. Admittedly that's because one is a Troll and the other is a Dwarf that's used as a beatin' stick...
Rubic
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jun 10 2011, 01:48 PM) *
I tend to look crossly any contact with an overall cost over 8BP due to the effects they can have on game balance.

That's actually a chargen rule for any game I'm in, and I recommend it to the other GM we run with. There was a history of lost feel for me and a few other players when one player started with a 6/6 contact. It wound up being one of the GM's favored NPCs from previous games and editions. Suffice it to say, no double-crossing on either side of the equation, no chance to pull one over on the omniscient, no hacking the Johnson's commlink, etc. On the other hand, we did outdo the standard for runs... forget getting paid twice, we'd generally get paid at least 3 times. Example: steal servers from underneath a wrecked arcology site; result: Got the servers, an entirely legit contract for debris removal, and the pulverized remains of a null-mana rock used for the walls. Talk about fun shotty ammo!
Redjack
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jun 10 2011, 10:58 AM) *
One of the biggest problems I see with linking connection and competence is connection becomes the be all skill and essentially gives you two mints in one. You get a high connection street doc, he's not only good at his job but can get you all sorts of fun toys.
Not if his competence is only in his stated area(s).

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 10 2011, 01:36 PM) *
Yes, but take into consideration that they're your contact... You're also THEIR contact.

And the higher the Connection, the harder the problems. vegm.gif

Honestly, to use my example before, if FastJack is calling you up for help, you know the drek has hit the fan!
Agreed. The most fun I have with characters is with their dependents though. We have one that started as a connection 0 person and the character asked to give them some karma after they were nearly killed for the umpteenth time. Or the dependent who is an AI who fulfilled the erased quality, but also expected the character to spend money for legitimate AR/VR stuff to show their appreciation... or the security guard a player felt sorry for because they got him fired.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jun 10 2011, 02:43 PM) *
Agreed. The most fun I have with characters is with their dependents though. We have one that started as a connection 0 person and the character asked to give them some karma after they were nearly killed for the umpteenth time. Or the dependent who is an AI who fulfilled the erased quality, but also expected the character to spend money for legitimate AR/VR stuff to show their appreciation... or the security guard a player felt sorry for because they got him fired.

Indeed. These are always the fun cases... smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jun 10 2011, 03:43 PM) *

The next story I have in mind will show what happens when a High-Level Contact needs you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012