Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic and Ware Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Bushw4cker
If a Ghoul gets cybereyes, does their dual-nature power now include astral vision, since they paid for the eyes with essence?
Could a ghoul with datajack, use commlink and contacts to see? or would the ghoul have to have cybereyes as well?
Can a character have cyberware/bioware and have astral sight or spell/spirit knack quality?
Yerameyahu
The ghoul would have to have raised their Magic rating, or the cybereyes would instantly Burn them Out (no longer Dual). I don't understand your question though: all ghouls are Dual Natured and *have* astral vision by default. Astral vision is an inextricable part of Dual Nature (it's practically the only defining characteristic, in fact).

Yes, sensors work fine, though the precise interaction between senses/sensors is not clearly laid out in the rules. Some GMs could require sensor tests for everything, I suppose.

IIRC, knacks/astral sight qualities can't have their Magic raised from 1, so… no. Any Essence loss would burn them out. biggrin.gif *If* I recalled correctly.
Dakka Dakka
Correction. There is no Astral Vision. There is only Astral Perception. It is an additional sense. Only for us mundanes its sensations are mostly described as visual sensation, because the visual sense is the most important for us.
Whether the ghoul has or had physical vision is irrelevant for Astral Perception. As Yerameyahu correctly pointed out any Essence loss would remove the dual-natured quality form the ghoul. This actually is a very good idea for any otherwise non-awakened ghoul. It removes the threat from the astral plane.

@Astral Sight: Only if the GM gave the character that quality through Latent Awakening, which I would consider a jerk move.

Yerameyahu
You're right. We do call it 'Astral Sight' or 'astral vision', but those aren't accurate. (Astral Sight is the RAW name of the knack, though, yes?)
HunterHerne
I recall there being a sidebar about knacks and astral sight, aout allowing characters to raise their magic to allow for the use of them, even cybered up. Personally, i have no problem with it, they are adequately restricted in my opinion, otherwise. Why spend 25 BP to be able to cast one force 1-6 spell, which will probably give the Street Sam more damage then just opening fire or sneaking past the opponent anyway?
noonesshowmonkey
If the cyber eyes sent raw sense data as transmitted through lenses just as the naked, mark 1 eye ball does, then yes. If the cyber eye takes in stimulus as a human eye would (ie a lens) and then at any point digitizes it, then the eye can not perceive astrally. The sensors in a stock cybereye have no way of receiving or processing astral data that I know of. You'd lose the visual portion of astral perception.
Tanegar
QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey @ Aug 31 2011, 09:06 PM) *
If the cyber eyes sent raw sense data as transmitted through lenses just as the naked, mark 1 eye ball does, then yes. If the cyber eye takes in stimulus as a human eye would (ie a lens) and then at any point digitizes it, then the eye can not perceive astrally. The sensors in a stock cybereye have no way of receiving or processing astral data that I know of. You'd lose the visual portion of astral perception.

Except there is no "visual portion" of astral perception.
QUOTE ("SR4A @ p. 191")
Astral perception is a psychic sense that is not linked to the character's physical sight. A blind magician can still magically perceive the astral plane and the creatures and auras within. Likewise, deaf magicians can "hear" in astral space.
Yerameyahu
Astral perception doesn't come from your *eyes* anyway. Neither does it come through the air. Cybereyes are unrelated.
CanRay
You just need a magic rating to astrally perceive.

Magicians with cybereyes can do it all the time.
noonesshowmonkey
Fair enough.
Mardrax
Just for spelling it out: note that a Ghoul's blindness doesn't apply to Astral Perception. They can 'see' you fine on the astral. Unless you do the Solid Snake.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 31 2011, 04:55 AM) *
The ghoul would have to have raised their Magic rating, or the cybereyes would instantly Burn them Out (no longer Dual). I don't understand your question though: all ghouls are Dual Natured and *have* astral vision by default.

Do you have a page reference where it says that they actually loose dual natured upon burning out? It would make Ghouls a lot more playable.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 1 2011, 06:47 AM) *
Do you have a page reference where it says that they actually loose dual natured upon burning out? It would make Ghouls a lot more playable.

Sure do. Emphasis mine

QUOTE (RC 77)
Magic and Essence:
Starting Infected characters start with Essence 5 and Magic 1
during character generation. The Infected may increase their Magic
attribute with BP or Karma as any other attribute to a maximum
of 5 (+ initiate grade). Magic is used for any tests involving the
Infected’s innate powers. If an Infected character’s Magic attribute
is reduced to 0 (temporarily or permanently), it loses the use of all
its powers except Natural Weapon and Enhanced Senses, if any.

Note that ghoul sams have less essence to play with than other archetypes, and some restrictions on the type of ware they can take, but make up for it with good stat boosts.
But yeah. If you want to play a ghoul, and want to dodge the Dual Natured problem, just get a datajack or some cybereyes.
A ghoul mage, on the other hand will not have as much magic as another character.

If you wanted to get no-essence sight, you could pretty easily hook up Trodes, a Sim Module to pipe the stream, and goggles with an Image Link together.
Elfenlied
Does Dual Natured actually count as a "power"?
Stahlseele
In the case of non magicians, it's actually more of a FLAW . .
Otherwise, it means you can do everything you can do with your normal eyes without most vision modifiers.
and you do not have the -2 dice because you are astrally perceiving . .
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 1 2011, 08:11 AM) *
Does Dual Natured actually count as a "power"?

Why wouldn't it be?

Page 294, SR4A

-k
Elfenlied
Just sounded too good to be true. You loose all drawbacks associated with ghouls (dual natured & infection), and can even get some BP on top of it (infertile infected).
Udoshi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 1 2011, 07:17 AM) *
In the case of non magicians, it's actually more of a FLAW . .

Actually, the main benefit for being dual natured comes into play if you're a magician or a mystic adept.

Being able to lay down Counterspelling on the physical and astral planes at once, without any penalty.

That's about the only upside, though. Getting rid of it means you can't be astral jetfightered by spirits and mages.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Sep 1 2011, 08:33 AM) *
That's about the only upside, though. Getting rid of it means you can't be astral jetfightered by spirits and mages.

Being a dual natured ghoul isn't quite as bad as most people make it out to be, though. It can be dealt with without burning out and losing the dual natured power. Just make a ghoul PC as an adept or mystic adept with Great Leap and Distance Strike. Ghouls can make scarily effective melee fighters with their attribute boosts.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 1 2011, 12:31 PM) *
Being a dual natured ghoul isn't quite as bad as most people make it out to be, though. It can be dealt with without burning out and losing the dual natured power. Just make a ghoul PC as an adept or mystic adept with Great Leap and Distance Strike. Ghouls can make scarily effective melee fighters with their attribute boosts.

For truly unmatched physical power, try a ghoul Troll. Talk about the worst thing to meet in a dark alley...
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Sep 1 2011, 01:33 PM) *
For truly unmatched physical power, try a ghoul Troll. Talk about the worst thing to meet in a dark alley...

A really hungry Lofwir, specially after you've been pranked by your friends and is completely covered in tomato sauce.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Sep 1 2011, 01:08 PM) *
A really hungry Lofwir, specially after you've been pranked by your friends and is completely covered in tomato sauce.

Touché
CanRay
Actually, being German, wouldn't he rather a nice bier marinade?
Tanegar
Hmm. Runnerwurst und bier. I wonder how big a mug you'd need to hold enough beer to satisfy Lofwyr.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 1 2011, 07:47 PM) *
Hmm. Runnerwurst und bier. I wonder how big a mug you'd need to hold enough beer to satisfy Lofwyr.

how big a mug you'd need to hold enough beer to satisfy Lofwyr.

enough beer

Does not compute
Tanegar
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 1 2011, 02:48 PM) *
Does not compute

So "enough beer" is like "enuff dakka?"
CanRay
"Sir, a... A... A dragon just came and DRANK THE BREWERY! ALL OF THE BREWERY!!!" "Yeah, he does that. Don't worry, he owns the place, so he's drinking his own profits."
Udoshi
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 1 2011, 10:31 AM) *

You know that burnt out ghoul and adept are mutually exclusive, right? Magic 0 adept is not an adept at all.

Though i suppose its a good candidate for way of the burnout
Yerameyahu
Read again. He's talking about *not* burning out, and dealing with it via being an adept.
Sephiroth
Thank you, Yerameyahu. smile.gif
Yerameyahu
I'm not sure you're right (at least, about effectively dealing with Dual Natured). The Mystic Adept with a Stunbolt, on the other hand…
Sephiroth
Ultimately it does come down to tactics. A ghoul PC should try not to allow itself to be attacked from the astral in a wide open space. In that case, obviously the mage will have the gross advantage. But if the ghoul is smart and puts the mage in a position where he/she has to enter an enclosed space to attack the ghoul, like...say... in a vehicle (the popular and very tempting situation for "spirit-bombing," as we both know), then the ghoul PC will have the advantage over the mage or spirit in question. ESPECIALLY with Distance Strike, Great Leap, Pain Resistance, and Spell Resistance. Tactics are important for Ghoul PC's, that's true for everything in SR, but a ghoul adept definitely has it better off than a non-Awakened but still dual natured ghoul.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 1 2011, 11:58 PM) *
Ultimately it does come down to tactics. A ghoul PC should try not to allow itself to be attacked from the astral in a wide open space. In that case, obviously the mage will have the gross advantage. But if the ghoul is smart and puts the mage in a position where he/she has to enter an enclosed space to attack the ghoul, like...say... in a vehicle (the popular and very tempting situation for "spirit-bombing," as we both know), then the ghoul PC will have the advantage over the mage or spirit in question. ESPECIALLY with Distance Strike, Great Leap, Pain Resistance, and Spell Resistance. Tactics are important for Ghoul PC's, that's true for everything in SR, but a ghoul adept definitely has it better off than a non-Awakened but still dual natured ghoul.

The Ghoul adept would be better off, yes. But Ghouls are not necessarily feral creatures, even as NPCs (although they can be), and should be able to mitigate their weaknesses, anyway. As Ghouls are Dual natured, and as such able to astrally percieve, they have the ability to construct wards, which, in combat with a mage, can function as stationary barriers the ghouls can freely pass without letting the mage through so easily. They can also be used to herd astral projectors into traps.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Sep 3 2011, 05:02 PM) *
The Ghoul adept would be better off, yes. But Ghouls are not necessarily feral creatures, even as NPCs (although they can be), and should be able to mitigate their weaknesses, anyway. As Ghouls are Dual natured, and as such able to astrally percieve, they have the ability to construct wards, which, in combat with a mage, can function as stationary barriers the ghouls can freely pass without letting the mage through so easily. They can also be used to herd astral projectors into traps.

Provided the Ghoul actually has homeground advantage. If he doesn't, he's just as easily screwed by enemy wards.
Stahlseele
wait . . ghouls can construct wards without being mages themselves? O.o
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 3 2011, 01:13 PM) *
wait . . ghouls can construct wards without being mages themselves? O.o

SR4A 194
Wa rds
Wards are a temporary form of dual-natured mana barrier that can be
created by any Awakened being with astral perception (including spirits
and adepts with the Astral Perception power).

First line about wards.

The test is Magic+willpower. No spellcasting involved.
Stahlseele
*blink blink* . . dude . . i never knew that . . i don't trust magic . . will have to make sure none of my GM's or players in my group ever learn of this <.<
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 3 2011, 01:45 PM) *
*blink blink* . . dude . . i never knew that . . i don't trust magic . . will have to make sure none of my GM's or players in my group ever learn of this <.<

Yeah, since that security mage you may be specced out to fight could actually be an AR Adept with Astral Perception, commanding drones.
Irion
Sorry, but beeing dual natured, exept for a spirit, sucks big time.
A ward is a real problem for your kind.
Have fun rolling this charisma+willpower-test against force*2.
Force 6, bad for you.
And even if you get through, you set off the alarm...

The easiest way to deal with this bullshit of dual natured is to replace it with astral perception.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Sep 3 2011, 08:01 PM) *
Yeah, since that security mage you may be specced out to fight could actually be an AR Adept with Astral Perception, commanding drones.

i am NEVER specced out to fight ANYTHING magical that i can not simply hit with a blunt object the size of a motorcycle i'm afraid <.<;,
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 3 2011, 02:07 PM) *
Sorry, but beeing dual natured, exept for a spirit, sucks big time.
A ward is a real problem for your kind.
Have fun rolling this charisma+willpower-test against force*2.
Force 6, bad for you.
And even if you get through, you set off the alarm...

The easiest way to deal with this bullshit of dual natured is to replace it with astral perception.

I know it's a problem, but it's not supposed to be all upside. You just need to be imaginitive with how you deal with it. In a Ghoul Warren, being able to put up Wards on the walls will help protect you from the annoying mages that will probably come to slaughter you. And so will putting smaller wards around the open areas, since the creator can freely choose who can go through. Even if not strictly allowed at all times, I would give all ghouls that live in the area the homefield advantage, there, as they should be able to pick there way between the barriers.

Dual Natured is a hurdle for offence, but it can be a boon for defense.
Irion
Sorry, it is more of a drawback than a boni in any way.

How is it a good defance if any mage can fry your ass? If you can be burned on both planes on the same time.

And so will putting smaller wards around the open areas, since the creator can freely choose who can go through.

But so what? You are still able to cast a spell on the target behind the ward...
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 3 2011, 02:30 PM) *
Sorry, it is more of a drawback than a boni in any way.

How is it a good defance if any mage can fry your ass? If you can be burned on both planes on the same time.

But so what? You are still able to cast a spell on the target behind the ward...

It'll provide bonus dice on the resistance test, which is better then nothing, and if the mage isn't in person, the ward provides a negative dice pool modifier to astral perception, meaning, no, he might not see you.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 3 2011, 01:11 PM) *
i am NEVER specced out to fight ANYTHING magical that i can not simply hit with a blunt object the size of a motorcycle i'm afraid <.<;,
I had a Pixie Magical Adept that threw Dumpsters around with magic, and used them as Taxis when the group was too poor to pay Ghoul Cab.
Stahlseele
The one time i DID try magic . . it was underwhelmingly weak . .
CanRay
I get the feeling that I was running the magic rules wrong. Will try to do better if I ever get to play.

*Sighs* IF!
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 3 2011, 03:12 PM) *
I get the feeling that I was running the magic rules wrong. Will try to do better if I ever get to play.

*Sighs* IF!

Did your game not pan out?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 3 2011, 09:12 PM) *

*Sighs* IF!

Repeat after me:
The Magic System gets stronger the less the GM understands it!
The Matrix System gets weaker the less the GM understands IT!
CanRay
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Sep 3 2011, 02:32 PM) *
Did your game not pan out?
Of the three groups... One *MIGHT*. OK, maybe I'm not giving them credit enough, I am a new person to them, so a stranger whose got "Mad Rep" in the Shadowrun world might intimidate a group just getting into it...

The other two just fell apart like all the others I've tried for 20-years.

EDIT: Back on topic, I'm working on a character concept for my writing (I can rely on that at least somewhat) for a Physical Adept Troll walking The Way Of The Warrior with a Cyberarm (And a story behind that, of course). Thoughts?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 3 2011, 09:46 PM) *
Of the three groups... One *MIGHT*. OK, maybe I'm not giving them credit enough, I am a new person to them, so a stranger whose got "Mad Rep" in the Shadowrun world might intimidate a group just getting into it...

The other two just fell apart like all the others I've tried for 20-years.

EDIT: Back on topic, I'm working on a character concept for my writing (I can rely on that at least somewhat) for a Physical Adept Troll walking The Way Of The Warrior with a Cyberarm (And a story behind that, of course). Thoughts?

Sounds like my kinda guy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012