Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealment Power too powerful?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Neraph
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 13 2011, 09:24 AM) *
I have seen in someone's signature in his DS posts a quote something like, "If a GM doesn't understand the hacking rules, hacking gets weaker. If a GM doesn't understand the magic rules, magic gets stronger." Perhaps a little black and white, but he does have a point. As a GM myself, I worry about work in the matrix, because I don't understand it (not having bothered to spend the time to figure it out), and welcome players' help when we go there. As a GM, I am not the least bit afraid of PCs with magic, and I don't have to go out of my way to gimp them. The world as written in the books already has it out for them.

Lurkeroutthere, 5th post of this thread.
Saint Hallow
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 13 2011, 02:43 AM) *
Sounds like a normal game to me, no reason to get defensive and almost reverent all of a sudden.

Not defensive at all. Sorry, forgot to put a smiley on my previous post. Here you go... wobble.gif LOL!
Irion
@pbangarth
1) Use of Edge or not, repeated use of this level of magic will sooner or later kill the user. Russian roulette, anyone?

This is quite a lie. It won't if you have some dice to throw around.
Yes, theoretically the spirit could roll 12 hits out of 12 dices. This would translate into 24 DV. Sounds a lot. The chance is 1 to 500.000.
Yes, it might happen. So after maybe 500 times (Once per run should be often), translating to 5 to 10k karma. I guess with that you might even survive it.
And to be clear here: Everything short of heavy weapon does not call for force 12, force 9 would be more than enough.
2) The world in many places is antithetical to magic use, either in its own intrinsic magical nature, or because of the existence of all kinds of technology. NPCs know this. The tougher the NPCs, the more they know it.

Yes, if you go for a BC of 4 and more, Spirits are stopped in their track...

3) As per SR4A, page 192, "Magical skills and abilities produce an astral signature on anything affected
by them, which is detectable using assensing." So a force 12 spell or the summoning of a Force 12 spirit will leave a tell-tale signature for 12 hours, unless overtly erased. In a world in which magic over Force 3 is illegal for most people, this signature will draw the most lethal response available. No matter how tough your PC, someone/something in the world is tougher. Every time the spirit (the one whose signature links directly to the PC) does something magical, like Concealment, it leaves the same trace. "You want me to clean up after myself? That will be another service, sir."

Well, actually not really. The signature is only at the point you activated the spell/summoned the spirit etc.

And a signature is not that big of a problem.
Find siganture, memorize signature and find mage. Well, there are bigger threads, I guess...

Seth
I have seen in someone's signature in his DS posts a quote something like, "If a GM doesn't understand the hacking rules, hacking gets weaker. If a GM doesn't understand the magic rules, magic gets stronger." Perhaps a little black and white, but he does have a point. As a GM myself, I worry about work in the matrix, because I don't understand it (not having bothered to spend the time to figure it out), and welcome players' help when we go there. As a GM, I am not the least bit afraid of PCs with magic, and I don't have to go out of my way to gimp them. The world as written in the books already has it out for them.

Well said. I share your views.

None of the shadowrun systems are perfect. They all work OK though. If you find they are broken, then a reread of the rules or a question on this forum usually answers it. You will always get a flamewars around "spirits are broken", but personally I am finding that nothing is more "broken" than a sniper, and they exist in the real world, and are as deadly as the game portrays in the real world.

My personal list of broken stuff is:
  • direct combat spells need a tiny tweak (it's only overcasting that causes problems)
  • critter powers need to be easier to resist
  • Pixies are too good
  • Drakes aren't good enough

That's about it. Concealment is cool, but the bad guys use it too, and the perception die pool for most people is adequately high.

Draco18s
QUOTE (Seth @ Sep 13 2011, 01:07 PM) *
None of the shadowrun systems are perfect. They all work OK though. If you find they are broken, then a reread of the rules or a question on this forum usually answers it. You will always get a flamewars around "spirits are broken", but personally I am finding that nothing is more "broken" than a sniper, and they exist in the real world, and are as deadly as the game portrays in the real world.

Its not so much that the magic/matrix rules are broken so much as a GM that doesn't fully understands the rules doesn't know how to counter magic (i.e. using background count). Likewise one that doesn't understand the matrix doesn't know how to make it useful. We all tend to think of it being like the internet, but it's not.
Marwynn
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 12 2011, 12:49 PM) *
Why would a Nigh Invulnerable God-like being want to serve such a squishy entity? You are absolutely nothing to him, literally. It is sheer hubris on the Mage's part to even think that he has a right to command such an Entity, let alone summon him. Spirits above a certain Power should ALWAYS Spend Edge to resist summoning. At our table, that Ranking is 4+. Some set it at Greater than the Mage's Magic Rating. I like our better. Either way does work.

Besides, Edge expenditure is at the whim of the GM. Spend it is my motto.

A Christian Theurgist begged a high archangel to come to his aid since the Black Magician had an Arch Devil (both Force 12) who he made some sort of bargain with: he prays so hard he bleeds. The Shaman calls on a powerful Elemental to defend him due to his years of service. The Blood Magician had a few vats of O positive.

Not every Spirit is belligerent or unwilling, even at that power. Not all summonings are viewed as degrading either.

This doesn't mean Magic can't severely cripple a game (master) that is unprepared for it.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Sep 13 2011, 01:45 PM) *
A Christian Theurgist begged a high archangel to come to his aid since the Black Magician had an Arch Devil (both Force 12) who he made some sort of bargain with: he prays so hard he bleeds.

The mentalist projects forth the perfect vision of himself, literally pouring his soul into its creation and spilling blood as his physical body deteriorates in the presence of such self-perfection.

You get the idea.
Neraph
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Sep 13 2011, 10:50 AM) *
Not defensive at all. Sorry, forgot to put a smiley on my previous post. Here you go... wobble.gif LOL!

My friend has a quote along the lines of "Curse you, internet; your lack of conveying inflection has robbed me again!"
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 13 2011, 02:10 PM) *
My friend has a quote along the lines of "Curse you, internet; your lack of conveying inflection has robbed me again!"

Indeed.
Warlordtheft
Suggestion regarding the original post. Instead of a negative dice modifier to the perciever, use it as a positve modifier to the the infiltrator.

By RAW though things to keep in mind:
Don't forget to add in the perceivers bonus's (magnification, untrasound, actively looking, etc, etc).
The difficulty of infiltrating from point A to point B (note it is not always a given that 1 hit=a successful infiltration roll).
Astral perception is different from physical, so modifers there are different.

If your players are using force 6 spirits willy nilly, they should be on runs with equal difficulty. From the one players response though, I don't think this is the case.
LostProxy
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Sep 13 2011, 12:06 PM) *
If your players are using force 6 spirits willy nilly, they should be on runs with equal difficulty. From the one players response though, I don't think this is the case.

We fought a force 12 spirit, a force 6 spirit, and then two spirits who could have been anywhere between 7-10. And we can't dodge ranged attacks.

Yes, they are of equal or greater difficulty.
Irion
And we can't dodge ranged attacks.

What do you mean by that?
LostProxy
House rule he mentioned earlier in this thread. There is no dodging ranged attacks. It's a rule from 3rd edition and offered as an optional rule in one of the books. Can't remember which.

To be absolutely clear what I mean is no Ranged attack Vs Reaction or dodge. Cover and what not still applies. But that's not much.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 13 2011, 12:03 PM) *
@pbangarth

This is quite a lie. It won't if you have some dice to throw around.

Come on, man. Contest an opinion or even the facts without calling a guy a liar.

Yes, theoretically the spirit could roll 12 hits out of 12 dices. This would translate into 24 DV. Sounds a lot. The chance is 1 to 500.000.
Yes, it might happen. So after maybe 500 times (Once per run should be often), translating to 5 to 10k karma. I guess with that you might even survive it.
And to be clear here: Everything short of heavy weapon does not call for force 12, force 9 would be more than enough.
Assuming the mage can deal with a Drain of 6 or so ( a pool of 18), the spirit doesn't need the extreme case of 12 hits. 8 or more should do nicely to give a DV of 16P, 6 of which are handled by the Drain resistance, the rest of which kill the mage. The statistics make it look unlikely. For example:

10 times ==> ~.02 chance of 8 or more happening
100 times ==> ~.18
500 times ==> ~.61
1000 times ==> ~.85

So sure you can say he's safe for hundreds of summonings, but it can happen on the first try, and sooner or later it will happen. My experience trying this kind of over-summoning is that sooner is more likely. Maybe I just have bad luck.

Yes, if you go for a BC of 4 and more, Spirits are stopped in their track...
... or any number of readily available technological solutions.

Well, actually not really. The signature is only at the point you activated the spell/summoned the spirit etc.
And at every point/subject where the spirit uses any of its powers. Yes, the particular Concealment power makes it hard to notice you, but if they do, the summoner/spirit is seriously marked.

And a signature is not that big of a problem.
Find siganture, memorize signature and find mage. Well, there are bigger threads, I guess...

Not much bigger threats than when the entire police magical squad is searching for you... you having broken a law so blatantly and with such power they fear you and send everything they have.
Saint Hallow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 14 2011, 12:46 AM) *
Not much bigger threats than when the entire police magical squad is searching for you... you having broken a law so blatantly and with such power they fear you and send everything they have.

Huh... I wonder who's on the FBI's top 100 most wanted list in SR 2070... what did they have to do in order to get on there?
Irion
@pbangarth
So sure you can say he's safe for hundreds of summonings, but it can happen on the first try, and sooner or later it will happen. My experience trying this kind of over-summoning is that sooner is more likely. Maybe I just have bad luck.

This would be a good point, if the run itself would not be a risk.
So you are about to choose:
2 percent chance to die in 10 times or about 50% chance to die on the run. (If the GM is using force 12 spirits make it a 100% chance to die)

And even with 16 physical. You will edge up your drain test and live. (Right, you may forget about the run and you will be eaten by the force 12 spirit of the opposition. But this would have happened if you did not try too.)

And at every point/subject where the spirit uses any of its powers. Yes, the particular Concealment power makes it hard to notice you, but if they do, the summoner/spirit is seriously marked.

Thats not that clear for sustained powers. If it is that way, you will get a lot of astral fingerprints all over the place. Still hard to find the mage it belongs too. Nearly impossible.
But it really does not matter, because it would be still the mark of the spirit. So the will need to find him on his metaplane. I would not walk into the metaplane of a force 12 guardian or fire spirit. (Have to check, maybe the search power might help..)

Depends on your Gameworld. If spirits never use edge to resist summoning, this means they will be used. Maybe not force 12, but force 8,9 and 10.

Anything mundane to oppose a force 12 spirit has to be extreamly powerful.
The only gun, able to really hurt it, is a gauss rifle handled by a guy with quite a dicepool. What would this weapon do to any mundane runner short of several 100 Karma and ware worth in the millions? (And this weapon is only a danger, because the rules ignore how hard to handle it should be in confined space)

In short: A force 12 spirit is an "I WIN"-button only needed in situations of "you die".
If your GM is not out to teamkill the group, a force 9 spirit is enough. This thing is still immune to 80% of the weapons in the book.
And here the same stuff applys only with less drain.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 13 2011, 04:21 PM) *
...snip...
SnS needs 7 net hits against a force 12 spirit. ( 21 dice)
Not to mention you would need to hit it first. A reaction from 14 to 16 (core book) means you are looking at about 35 to 37 dice.
Thats quite beyond the scope of a starting char...

Not really that important, I'd just like to add that the spirit wouldn't get a reaction or dodge either in their gameworld (I assume), so the dice pools for the character to damage the spirit wouldn't have to be as high as you say...
Irion
@phlapjack77
Yes, this is true. But the same is true for the spirit. So some force 12 firespirit would turn that guy to ashes first INI-Pass.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 13 2011, 11:44 PM) *
Anything mundane to oppose a force 12 spirit has to be extreamly powerful.
The only gun, able to really hurt it, is a gauss rifle handled by a guy with quite a dicepool. What would this weapon do to any mundane runner short of several 100 Karma and ware worth in the millions? (And this weapon is only a danger, because the rules ignore how hard to handle it should be in confined space)

Ummmmm... Not really.

ITNW for a Force 12 Spirit. 24
Gause Rifle: AP Half -4

That leaves that force 10 SPirit with exactly 8 Points of remaining ITNW. Gause Rifle does 9p + Net.
So, I net hit is 10P, soaked with Body +8 Dice. For a DP of 20 (Force 12 remember). the average soak is 3, and the Bought soak is 5. This will hurt that Force 12 Spirit, and that is only a single net hit. I am betting on more than a single net hit from a PC gunner who is going up against a Fore 12 Spirit (He probably is throwing 16-20 DIce after all).

Of course, the Spirit can dodge, for ~24 Dice (Dependant upon Type), but that means spirit does nothing else. Otherwise he only has ~12 Dice to React out of the way. My Money is on the Gunner at that point. And woe be unto him if the Gunner has 3 passes. Spirit loses at that point, because he is either disrupted or ineffective.

Of course, in OP's world, the Spirit gets no dodge at all. Yes, the Spirit ashes one opponent; But the others have the potential to swiss cheese the spirit.

Anyways... smile.gif
Aerospider
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 14 2011, 03:21 PM) *
Ummmmm... Not really.

ITNW for a Force 12 Spirit. 24
Gause Rifle: AP Half -4

That leaves that force 10 SPirit with exactly 8 Points of remaining ITNW. Gause Rifle does 9p + Net.
So, I net hit is 10P, soaked with Body +8 Dice. For a DP of 20 (Force 12 remember). the average soak is 3, and the Bought soak is 5. This will hurt that Force 12 Spirit, and that is only a single net hit. I am betting on more than a single net hit from a PC gunner who is going up against a Fore 12 Spirit (He probably is throwing 16-20 DIce after all).

Of course, the Spirit can dodge, for ~24 Dice (Dependant upon Type), but that means spirit does nothing else. Otherwise he only has ~12 Dice to React out of the way. My Money is on the Gunner at that point. And woe be unto him if the Gunner has 3 passes. Spirit loses at that point, because he is either disrupted or ineffective.

Of course, in OP's world, the Spirit gets no dodge at all. Yes, the Spirit ashes one opponent; But the others have the potential to swiss cheese the spirit.

Anyways... smile.gif

Don't forget Edge, which a Force 12 spirit should be using quite liberally.

DP 20 with an Edge of 12 gives an expected 13 hits on the soak test.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Sep 14 2011, 07:41 AM) *
Don't forget Edge, which a Force 12 spirit should be using quite liberally.

DP 20 with an Edge of 12 gives an expected 13 hits on the soak test.

What does a DP of 20 and Edge 4 Give you for the Shooter's net hits? Spirit is still wounded. Do that 2 or 3 times, and Spirit is back on his home plane.
Machiavelli
A LOT of theory. Wow. The SR reality looks different, you know it. Arguing on the internet is like winning at the special olympics....i think you know the rest.^^
pbangarth
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 14 2011, 02:44 AM) *
@pbangarth

This would be a good point, if the run itself would not be a risk.
So you are about to choose:
2 percent chance to die in 10 times or about 50% chance to die on the run. (If the GM is using force 12 spirits make it a 100% chance to die)
I agree wholeheartedly, as I did earlier.

And even with 16 physical. You will edge up your drain test and live.
I stayed away from talking about Edge, because then we start talking about spirits using Edge, and that's an old, acrimonious discussion.

Thats not that clear for sustained powers. If it is that way, you will get a lot of astral fingerprints all over the place. Still hard to find the mage it belongs too. Nearly impossible.
But it really does not matter, because it would be still the mark of the spirit. So the will need to find him on his metaplane. I would not walk into the metaplane of a force 12 guardian or fire spirit. (Have to check, maybe the search power might help..)
I don't think a sustained power leaves a trail wherever it goes. I do think whenever a spirit implements a power, it leaves a signature. And the spirit's signature is linked to the summoner's. Enough hits on assensing and you see that link.

Anything mundane to oppose a force 12 spirit has to be extreamly powerful. The only gun,
Whne I talk about technology, I don't just mean guns for shooting the spirit, I also means detectors, barriers, traps, diversions, etc. that are available to the most mundane of opponents. And as far as magical impediments, a simple ward is enough to screw up a lot of magical plans.

In short: A force 12 spirit is an "I WIN"-button only needed in situations of "you die".
If your GM is not out to teamkill the group, a force 9 spirit is enough. This thing is still immune to 80% of the weapons in the book. And here the same stuff applys only with less drain.
For the most part, I agree with this opinion. I firmly believe no such thing as an "I WIN" button exists in Shadowrun.
pbangarth
As an afterthought, not completely germane to this discussion though, I would like to draw your attention to THIS post.
Neurosis
QUOTE (camberiu @ Sep 11 2011, 04:58 PM) *
Please bare with me, as I am still learning the SR4 system (I am a SR2 vet).

It seems to me that the Concealment Power as described in the core book is way too powerful and would allow the players to basically waltz in almost anywhere with impunity.

Let's take for example, a character with an infiltration skill of 4 and an agility stat of 5. Now let's imagine that a friendly Force 6 Spirit uses his Concealment power on this character. Basically, from that point on anyone trying to perceive that character on the physical plane would be subjected to a -6 dice modifier AND with whatever dice pool left, would have to beat the character's Infiltration 4 + Agility 5 on a perception roll? I can't think of many places that this fella would not be able to get into. Yeah, he probably would not be able to waltz into the Aztechnology Pyramid and a few similar places, but pretty much any other lesser places would be wide open to him. Or am I missing something here?

Now, let's say this guy gets really daring and manages to convince his mage friend with Magic Attribute of 6, to summon a Force 12 Spirit. Let's say the mage friend manages to summon a force 12 spirit (and survive). Now this force 12 spirit could conceal this guy on our example and cause anyone trying to perceive him to suffer a -12 penalty on perception tests, both physically and astrally.

Now, if this I described so far is correct, my question is: Where would'd this fellow be able to sneak into? Worse, with a Force 12 spirit with concealment power, I could potentially turn any crappy commuter plane into a Stealth bomber for hell.

I must be missing something, because this power seems to be too unbalanced to make the game practical. Please let me know what I might not be considering here. Thanks.

Yes this is how it works.

Yes my team always uses this tactic.

Yes they always manage to get caught anyway. : )

If your GM is not out to teamkill the group, a force 9 spirit is enough. This thing is still immune to 80% of the weapons in the book. And here the same stuff applys only with less drain.

How does this 'win'? It gets two IPs manifested. And the bad guys don't even need to shoot at it. If they have any brains at all, they'll shoot at the damn mage. I just don't see how this prevents a GM from 'teamkilling' the group. (Which in my experience a GM would not do in the way that involved rolling dice unless a team had thoroughly earned it.)
Aerospider
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 14 2011, 03:52 PM) *
What does a DP of 20 and Edge 4 Give you for the Shooter's net hits? Spirit is still wounded. Do that 2 or 3 times, and Spirit is back on his home plane.

Assuming that the shooter will almost certainly be rerolling hits (as opposed to adding Edge dice) he would expect 12 hits. In the context of the gaming group at the centre of this thread (i.e. no dodging ranged attacks) the spirit should expect a nearly fatal wound. By RAW it would more likely be only 2 or 3 boxes (given an Edged dodge roll providing an extra 7 expected hits). With a damage track of around 14 boxes that's very minor, but in either case the spirit can return 'fire' and hit the shooter with a 24 DP power (- injury mods) and that would be it.

Point of order - I'm not making the point that Force 12 spirits are unkillable or even necessarily broken, but if numbers are being crunched we must be thorough.
Irion
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
You got me wrong.
The gauss rifle is the only weapon that can hurt such a spirit.
You need quite a pool to get over reaction +1net hit. (Would be around 15-19) (visibility modifiers etc. ) (Yes, if the spirit is not able to dodge...)

But what does such a rifle do to your avarage runner? (24 Armor is not that easy to get as is a body of 10 to 14)

@pbangarth
I stayed away from talking about Edge, because then we start talking about spirits using Edge, and that's an old, acrimonious discussion.

Well, my point was, that spirits should use edge. (If they do not, the summoner still can. The one has nothing to do with the other)

I would go for: Edge = Force/2, spirits edge up the test on summoning and binding. Now a force 12 spirit throws 18 dice to resist. (And probably will be able to reroll 3)
Thats something you do not use light minded.
For a force 4 spirit it is 6 instead of 4 and he might reroll 1or 2. So not really a big deal

For the most part, I agree with this opinion. I firmly believe no such thing as an "I WIN" button exists in Shadowrun.

Well, of course there are runs to be made, were such a spirit is not the solution.

@Neurosis
How does this 'win'? It gets two IPs manifested. And the bad guys don't even need to shoot at it. If they have any brains at all, they'll shoot at the damn mage. I just don't see how this prevents a GM from 'teamkilling' the group. (Which in my experience a GM would not do in the way that involved rolling dice unless a team had thoroughly earned it.)

Because a mage who is able to summon a force 9,10,11 or 12 spirit is most of the time not able to fight Yes, some super focused builds who have never seen anything except their gun, are born rich with restricted gear etc...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 14 2011, 12:20 PM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
You got me wrong.
You need quite a pool to get over reaction +1net hit. (Would be around 15-19) (visibility modifiers etc. ) (Yes, if the spirit is not able to dodge...)

But what does such a rifle do to your avarage runner? (24 Armor is not that easy to get as is a body of 10 to 14)

It is NOT the only weapon that can kill the spirit, unless you completely disallow weapons that by RAW would cause harm to that soirit.. Just thougt that I would point that out.

Well, if the Runner is armored, it likely reduces him to a few points of armor or less, and then he takes 10p+ just like the spirit.

I have a human Body Guard... Body 9, Armor 12. He survivced 6 Hits from a sniper using a Barrett and AV Rounds. It can be done. Without a lot of Edge even (Spent two to aid in soaking) Of course, he was shooting through the building (Penthouse/Elevator/Armored Glass/Reinforced Walls/Etc.) to hit us, but Meh. Everything is going to be situational. Anything can be killed. *shrug*
Seerow
I have a human Body Guard... Body 9, Armor 12.

How did you get a human with 9 body? The only way I can think of would be pretty roundabout and cheesier than I'd expect from you, no offense.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 14 2011, 03:29 PM) *
How did you get a human with 9 body? The only way I can think of would be pretty roundabout and cheesier than I'd expect from you, no offense.

Full Borg Conversion (45 Limbs, Torso and Head Shells)... But not Drone.
Unfortunately, he does not have any armor in that conversion *Shakes Head*

Is there another way without Metagenic Surge, Genetic Optimization, and the Enhanced attribute Quality? RAW, I know, but pretty Cheesy.
Well, maybe not cheesy, but damned expensive.
Seerow
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 14 2011, 10:42 PM) *
Full Borg Conversion... But not Drone.
Unfortunately, he does not have any armor in that conversion *Shakes Head*

Ah that would do it. Yeah that's kinda silly to get body on your limb replacements but not armor, given the armor is generally much more useful thanks to stacking.

I was thinking he was doing something silly like metagenetic improvement+genetic optimization+adrenal pump (or whatever the bio is that gives +1 to all physical), which is why I said it sounded too cheesy.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled topic about spirit powers.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 14 2011, 03:47 PM) *
Ah that would do it. Yeah that's kinda silly to get body on your limb replacements but not armor, given the armor is generally much more useful thanks to stacking.

I was thinking he was doing something silly like metagenetic improvement+genetic optimization+adrenal pump (or whatever the bio is that gives +1 to all physical), which is why I said it sounded too cheesy.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled topic about spirit powers.

Well, he can always wear armor. The capacity slots he had, he used for a lot of other necessary Things. He wears Either 10/6 armor in "Business Attire" or 12/7 Armor in "Camouflage Utilities." These could go a bit higher now that War and Attitude are out.
Yes, the other route is a bit cheesy.
Seerow
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 14 2011, 10:49 PM) *
Well, he can always wear armor. The capacity slots he had, he used for a lot of other necessary Things. He wears Either 10/6 armor in "Business Attire" or 12/7 Armor in "Camouflage Utilities." These could go a bit higher now that War and Attitude are out.
Yes, the other route is a bit cheesy.

Even with Arsenal he could have gotten himself much higher than 12/7...especially with 9 body but that's besides the point.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 14 2011, 04:04 PM) *
Even with Arsenal he could have gotten himself much higher than 12/7...especially with 9 body but that's besides the point.

Yes, He could have. Blatantly obvious armor tends to leave him a little Obvious (Even more so than the visible cranial shell does). He tends to stay a bit low-key most of the time. But yes, he could wear some atrocious combinations of armor should he desire to do so.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 14 2011, 02:47 PM) *

I dunno, I've occasionally considered making Heavy Weapons Guy in shadowrun - a regular old Human who meets the Body 8 minimum to fire Heavy Weapons without proper bracing from arsenal's More Ways to Die section.
Not even making him GOOD, just enough to take a typical heavy weapon trolls place on a team.

Neraph
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 14 2011, 01:20 PM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
You got me wrong.

If you've paid attention to this thread than you'd understand that the group we're giving advice to does not allow Reaction or Dodge for firearms.
Bodak
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 15 2011, 03:19 AM) *
How does this 'win'? It gets two IPs manifested. And the bad guys don't even need to shoot at it. If they have any brains at all, they'll shoot at the damn mage.
Manifesting has no effect on IPs. If it is manifesting, it still has the same number of IPs as it does when purely on the Astral plane, not manifesting. It won't care if goons shoot at it while it is only manifesting as it has no physical presence in that form - it's only a psychic projection to selected minds.

As you say though the mage, if physically present, is at a much greater risk from shooters - especially if identified as a mage. So always carry a cyberdeck and firearm - keep them guessing!
Irion
@Neraph
Yeah, which leads to the runners beeing dead one shot too. (Unless the took same real cheese to it. Yes I know, you play after rules no one would even think of, so I guess your PC could easy surive beeing shot at with a railgun several times... But if we go to cheeseland, ITNW does not care about armor penetration. (Which is quite reasonable anyway, because the bullets will pass through an airspirit anyway. So it would actually not be a factor.)

The avarage runner, not pulling some cheese, has maybe 9 to 20 points of armor and a body from 3 to 9.
Yeah, you could build goons who are a danger for a high force spirit but could be killed by a sam. Mostly by giving them low INI and close to no armor but high damage.
So you would need to summon low level spirits, which would still kill the goons and could easy be replaced.
Or your GM could allow a beeing with the brains of Einstein and the intuition of the mentalist (do not find a real world example right now) to use some tactics. Which would increase their "power" quite big time.
Neraph
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 15 2011, 01:14 AM) *
@Neraph
Yeah, which leads to the runners beeing dead one shot too. (Unless the took same real cheese to it. Yes I know, you play after rules no one would even think of, so I guess your PC could easy surive beeing shot at with a railgun several times... But if we go to cheeseland, ITNW does not care about armor penetration. (Which is quite reasonable anyway, because the bullets will pass through an airspirit anyway. So it would actually not be a factor.)

I take offense and this is not accurate. Everything I say is pure RAW (or can be allowed by it) except when I talk to someone about a houserule they have. R4 freeware Skillsofts? According to the sidebar on page 110 of Unwired it's perfectly legal. Using the Calling rules as an AI in a drone body? Again, completely RAW. Getting Inhabitation Spirits to Inhabit weapons a-la Bloodmourne? Calling rules say it's RAW.

Saying ItNW (= Hardened Armor = Armor) is not affected by AP? Not RAW.
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 15 2011, 01:14 AM) *
The avarage runner, not pulling some cheese, has maybe 9 to 20 points of armor and a body from 3 to 9.

The Horseman of the Apocalypse. A Bod 1 character can have 32 armor just from it. I fail to see how using the Modification Rules as presented is "cheese."
Yerameyahu
Every single thing you mentioned is the definition of cheese. It doesn't mean 'illegal'. And the more of those things you combine, the more exponentially cheesy it gets.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 15 2011, 11:55 AM) *
And the more of those things you combine, the more exponentially cheesy it gets.

Mmmmm... creamy, smelly, Québecois, exponential cheese. Mmmmm.....
Draco18s
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 15 2011, 12:18 PM) *
Mmmmm... creamy, smelly, Québecois, exponential cheese. Mmmmm.....

Now I want to design a game system (likely intended for a computer multiplayer pvp) that uses this concept of "exponential cheese."

Such that everything is so horribly overpowered and seemingly unintentional stacking that it should not be balanced but it is.
Simply due to the fact that if you make yourself, say, "immune to bullets" then the other player(s) pull out melee or explosives (which every class will have one or the other, or both at the expense of not having bullets).

Is it cheating to be immune to bullets? Yes. Is it fair? Yes.

"Fine, you're immune to bullets. That's ok, I've got explosives."
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 15 2011, 10:55 AM) *
Every single thing you mentioned is the definition of cheese. It doesn't mean 'illegal'. And the more of those things you combine, the more exponentially cheesy it gets.

I still don't see it. Choosing an Assault Rifle over a pistol is then "cheese," as is choosing Ex-Ex ammo over standard. If you see something allowed by RAW and utilize it I fail to see how it is "cheesy." Being a gun-adept is "cheese." Using tasers is "cheesy" because you ignore most of their armor. Dealing Stun damage to a Troll is "cheese" because you are targeting their weaker Condition Monitor.

It's not "cheese" - it is use of superior tactics.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 15 2011, 12:26 PM) *
It's not "cheese" - it is use of superior tactics.

So riding around in a segway cocoon with tank armor is "superior tactics"?
Yerameyahu
Neraph, that's simply the definition. That's what the word means. It's not a choice between 'cheese' and 'superior tactics'. It's the *over* use of legal-but-optimal tactics, *usually* the result of poor game balance and/or insufficient synergy oversight. 'A' is fine, 'B' is fine, 'C' is fine, but 'ABC' is problematic for the *game*. It's a sliding scale, a continuum, but the more extreme, the more obviously 'cheesy' it is; and, as I said, it multiplies as you combine them.

The object is not to win. It is to have a fun game in a world of balanced challenges. 'Cheese' in any game creates un-fun monocultures; cookie-cutters, noob-tubes, and so on.
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 15 2011, 12:37 PM) *
So riding around in a segway cocoon with tank armor is "superior tactics"?

Absolutely. With a Full Mechanical Arm or a Weapon Mount you can still attack also and you do all of this with some of the least threat to your character.

In fact, in Ragewind's 200+ armor megadrone instance, the only way I could think of to "kill" him was to collapse a building on him (then War! came out and they had an "it dies" button in it). He and the drone would survive, but enough time under that wreckage would eventually be the end of both of them.

When faced with things that look "out of the box" you must think that way yourself to overcome them. It is no different than the revolution that firearms had on "conventional" warfare or how guerilla warefare has revolutionized the old "stand in a line and each side take turns shooting until no one moves anymore" warfare.

EDIT:
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 15 2011, 12:46 PM) *
Neraph, that's simply the definition. That's what the word means. It's not a choice between 'cheese' and 'superior tactics'. It's the *over* use of legal-but-optimal tactics, *usually* the result of poor game balance and/or insufficient synergy oversight. 'A' is fine, 'B' is fine, 'C' is fine, but 'ABC' is problematic for the *game*. It's a sliding scale, a continuum, but the more extreme, the more obviously 'cheesy' it is; and, as I said, it multiplies as you combine them.

Yes, but people insist that "Vehicle" + "Armor" + "Rigger Coccoon" = cheese.... but that is exactly what the rules allow for! In fact, that's what the logical end to those rules is!
Irion
@Neraph
Saying ItNW (= Hardened Armor = Armor) is not affected by AP? Not RAW.

Well, it would break the thread to discuss it, but both is supportable.
But strictly RAW immunity ignores net hits, see below why:
(Like I said, the thing about armor penetration is also missing... But it is only in brackets if you look at hardend armor. So there are those two interpretations. But if your really go RAW without thinking, immunities ignore AP)

QUOTE ("immunity")
This
... meaning that if the Damage Value
does not exceed the Armor, then the attack automatically
does no damage.

QUOTE ("hardend armor")
If the modified Damage Value of an attack does not exceed
the Armor rating (modified by Armor Penetration), then it
bounces harmlessly off the critter; don’t even bother to make
a Damage Resistance Test.

Getting Inhabitation Spirits to Inhabit weapons a-la Bloodmourne? Calling rules say it's RAW.

But it might not be working like you assume it is working....

(I do not know who said it but: Magic is only as long overpowered as long as the GM does not know the rules.
A Bod 1 character can have 32 armor just from it.

And nothing is stopping a GM from hitting you with encumbrance rules for that. (Nothing in the book says, that cyber or natural armor does not count against this limit. The only thing really mentioned is magic armor in the FAQ)
Critias
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 15 2011, 12:46 PM) *
When faced with things that look "out of the box" you must think that way yourself to overcome them. It is no different than the revolution that firearms had on "conventional" warfare or how guerilla warefare has revolutionized the old "stand in a line and each side take turns shooting until no one moves anymore" warfare.

Unless things are so "outside the box" that to "revolutionize" anything would mean an end to the RPG that people felt they were signing up to play. Bringing WWII-era green army men to a wargame where people were planning a Napoleonics battle might mean that (to you) you've got a revolutionary tactical, strategic, armor, and munitions advantage; but it might also mean (to them) that you're a prick who's ruining the game for other people.

And so what counts as "cheese" versus what counts as "superior tactics" varies from game to game, and game table to game table. Agree on it for yourself, your friends, and your game group. Bickering about it on the internet as though the terms can be handily defined in a universal fashion is just a waste of time and a mood-wrecker.
KarmaInferno
"Cheese" is kinda subjective.

However, if you are doing something for the sake of "power" that the designers arguably had not considered or intended, it's possibly verging on "cheese". Even if the designers DID intend it, if your fellow players and GM are rolling their eyes, it's possibly getting into cheese-land.

It also matters what kinda campaign you are playing. if everyone has dice pools in the 16-20 range, then a 22 probably isn't too cheesy. But a 22 in a average 12 DP game likely is.

For example, I play a mystic adept rigger pixie in Shadowrun Missions. She's a Voodoo-variant tradition. He dice pools are in the 16-24 range when the campaign averages in the 12-14 range. She effectively has 40+ armor at most times and is pretty much immune to gas, disease, and other biological-affecting attacks. She gets to fold most combat and physical skills into Gunnery or Pilot. People roll their eyes at the character constantly. I freely admit the character is utterly, completely cheesetastic. I am under no illusions on that. She's pink-mohawk personified.

My other character is an elderly merc character. He is optimized nine ways to sunday, yet I haven't had anyone so much as raise an eyebrow at him. This is because I deliberately picked only optimizations for him that cannot be argued against, ones that are clear, unambiguous, and without any grey. He's my "black trenchcoat" serious-serious character, so I keep on the conservative side for him.

There is a thin line between "Cheese" and "Optimization". But a good gauge on if you've crossed it is how other players and GMs react.

-k
Mardrax
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 15 2011, 07:52 PM) *
It also matters what kinda campaign you are playing. if everyone has dice pools in the 16-20 range, then a 22 probably isn't too cheesy. But a 22 in a average 12 DP game likely is.

DP doesn't always say that much. In a game with DPs of 16 all 'round, the guy who has 16 drain resist dice has probably been trying hardest to get there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012