Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Improvement for an...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Machiavelli
I think the main-archetypes of SR simply donīt mesh well with infected because they imbalance the game quite quickly. If you agree to play a high-powered campaign, then infected are no problem. But this is not common, this is an exception. So tables that accept them are rare....not impossible.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stalag @ Sep 19 2011, 12:04 AM) *
Only take Astral Hazing if you want to make an anti-mage (goes well with Arcane Arrester). I've played one before and, basically, you spend much of the run with the groups mages staying away from you and "not really caring" if you die. And just let there be some reason for you to sit in one spot for an extended period of time.....

On the plus side you're damn near magic immune so if you're in a group of non-mages you could be pretty popular spin.gif

Just a Note: Astral Hazing does nothing to Incomming Combat Spells whatsoever. So you are not "Damn Near Immune." Arcane Arrester is nice, but not a Nega-Mage does it create. Even in combination with Astral Hazing. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Amazeroth @ Sep 19 2011, 04:04 AM) *
Assuming people on this forum want to play Shadowrun, this makes no sense at all here.

Infected in our game die upon meeting, whenever possible. No Questions asked. They are predators that exist on the living, and they can infect you with their vileness. They deserve nothing better than Death.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 03:26 PM) *
Just a Note: Astral Hazing does nothing to Incomming Combat Spells whatsoever. So you are not "Damn Near Immune." Arcane Arrester is nice, but not a Nega-Mage does it create. Even in combination with Astral Hazing. smile.gif

Naaa, not really correct. We already had this discussion in a thread about arcane arrester in combination with astral hazing and the conclusion was, that you first reduce the spell about 4 and then half the rest of the force. I donīt want to use my search-fu because it is weak, but I am sure somebody else will find it if needed. Also every other magical effect (foci, sustained spells) are subject to force-reduction as soon as they enter BC, so why should any other spell be an exception to that? The only advantage to cast spells outside BC is that you have no dice pool reduction, you can cast at full force and you donīt have physical drain so quickly. Astral Hazing is good for mage-killers that work alone. For everybody else….naaah…
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 03:28 PM) *
Infected in our game die upon meeting, whenever possible. No Questions asked. They are predators that exist on the living, and they can infect you with their vileness. They deserve nothing better than Death.
At out table my comrades donīt even trust my character that is basically just looking like a vampire. How much more would this be a problem if I already were one of them?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 19 2011, 07:37 AM) *
Naaa, not really correct. We already had this discussion in a thread about arcane arrester in combination with astral hazing and the conclusion was, that you first reduce the spell about 4 and then half the rest of the force. I donīt want to use my search-fu because it is weak, but I am sure somebody else will find it if needed. Also every other magical effect (foci, sustained spells) are subject to force-reduction as soon as they enter BC, so why should any other spell be an exception to that? The only advantage to cast spells outside BC is that you have no dice pool reduction, you can cast at full force and you donīt have physical drain so quickly. Astral Hazing is good for mage-killers that work alone. For everybody else….naaah…

It IS Correct. You should read the Thread again. And, You should actually Look at exactly what Astral Hazing Affects. Instant Spells are not on the list of affected magic. Arcane Arrester is still Nice, and in combination with Astral Hazing, you get a hefty benefit for almost all magic, except for Instant Spells. Counterspelling is far better than Astral Hazing in that regard.

If Astgral Hazing worked like you think it works, it would not be a Negative Quality.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 19 2011, 02:34 PM) *
I think the main-archetypes of SR simply donīt mesh well with infected because they imbalance the game quite quickly. If you agree to play a high-powered campaign, then infected are no problem.

The same thing applies to SURGE too, IMO.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 04:07 PM) *
It IS Correct. You should read the Thread again. And, You should actually Look at exactly what Astral Hazing Affects. Instant Spells are not on the list of affected magic. Arcane Arrester is still Nice, and in combination with Astral Hazing, you get a hefty benefit for almost all magic, except for Instant Spells. Counterspelling is far better than Astral Hazing in that regard.

If Astgral Hazing worked like you think it works, it would not be a Negative Quality.

Depends on the topic you are talking about. I found several threads to this question. Acc. to RAW you are absolutely right, this was the reason for all the discussions. The result was because it didnīt make sense.

Also disadvantages had already been pointed out. But i have to agree, that they are not very massive for a specialized character.
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 18 2011, 08:16 PM) *
Actually, it can't. A Nosferatu is not like any other character, and you know it. Quit being disengenuous. The character exists off of the FEEDING of Essence (as well as a requirement for the Ingestion of Blood... And at 5% Body weight, that is a LOT of blood: 7.5 lbs at 150 Lbs of Vampire) from LIVING BEINGS. You cannot say that this causes no harm. It does. They have a Disease that can be communicated (THEY ARE INFECTED), and are Carriers unless they take a quality that says they are infertile. That alone makes it GM Fiat whether he wants such a character at his table. No Other Non-Infected has this by default. So, an Infected Character is VERY DIFFERENT from any other 400 BP Character. NO OTHER Character Type has the Issues of an Infected character. And. You. Know. It.

Is it allowed? Maybe at your table. Personally, I have never played at a table that allows Infected. And I am happy for that. If I wanted to play a Vampire, I would play OWOD/NWOD. smile.gif

1) Their Infection Power requires them to use their Essence Drain ability to work (Infection, page 295, SR4A), and only for viable targets (in this case human). If, for instance, I only Drained elves, orks, dwarves, and trolls, there would never be an issue. They never risk Infection from their Dietary Requirement.

2) Nutrition. Who needs how much blood? That's so last year...

3) The fact that you look at one aspect of a character and declare that GM fiat is required to play it is only supported by the fact that GM fiat is required to play any character. It is an invalid argument, similar to quoting Rule 0.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 08:28 AM) *

How very 2060's of you.
Elfenlied
Actually, Vampires and Nosferatus are the least contagious infected, barring qualities. They can choose who they infect.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 19 2011, 07:48 PM) *
Actually, Vampires and Nosferatus are the least contagious infected, barring qualities. They can choose who they infect.

Does that mean they have to register for (concealed carry) lethal-weapon licenses? wobble.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 19 2011, 11:48 AM) *

The wording of the Infection Power seems to mean that it is an automatic effect ("To see if a victim is infected..." implies automatic, uncontrolled effect).
Traul
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 19 2011, 06:54 PM) *
Does that mean they have to register for (concealed carry) lethal-weapon licenses? wobble.gif

No, because they are still the ones that have to kill to survive (even if they kill 1/6 by 1/6). But they can register for instant death if they want.
Neraph
QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 19 2011, 11:59 AM) *
No, because they are still the ones that have to kill to survive (even if they kill 1/6 by 1/6). But they can register for instant death if they want.

Under Vampires, wendigo, dzoo-noo-qua, goblins, banshee, and nosferatu on page 61, Runner's Companion, some extraterritorial megas give them citizenship. There was talk somewhere about being able to donate blood or your body on death to be consumed but I cannot locate ATM.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 19 2011, 10:44 AM) *
How very 2060's of you.

So, I should ignore the threat that they are? Really? Not. Bloody. Likely.

It takes no GM fiat to play a MetaHuman. Look at the RC Again. The ENTIRE Book is a collection of OPTIONAL RULES for playing Exotic Characters. Optional does not mean that I get to choose that Option. It means the GM gets to allow it or disallow it at his whim. Metahumanity is already part of the equation if you are playing Shadowrun. Infected ARE NOT.

Really Neraph. I though you were better than that.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 19 2011, 06:58 PM) *
The wording of the Infection Power seems to mean that it is an automatic effect ("To see if a victim is infected..." implies automatic, uncontrolled effect).

Actually, I meant the sentence before that one:
QUOTE (SR4 Corebook)
The Infection power allows a critter with Essence Drain to infect any suitable creature it has drained to 0 Essence with
the strain of the HMHVV virus it is carrying.

Emphasis mine. Don't drain anyone dry, and they won't get infected.
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 12:15 PM) *
So, I should ignore the threat that they are? Really? Not. Bloody. Likely.

It takes no GM fiat to play a MetaHuman. Look at the RC Again. The ENTIRE Book is a collection of OPTIONAL RULES for playing Exotic Characters. Optional does not mean that I get to choose that Option. It means the GM gets to allow it or disallow it at his whim. Metahumanity is already part of the equation if you are playing Shadowrun. Infected ARE NOT.

Really Neraph. I though you were better than that.

Would you prefer if I started talking about O-RAW constantly? An optional rule is still a rule. Generally speaking, most GMs and most tables allow all modular O-RAW that fits the normal RAW (this means yes metasapients, yes armor capacity; not neccessarily no Rea/Dodge from guns or increased Drain of direct spells). If you insist I can start specifying each and every time. Also, look again at page 89 of SR4A under the heading GAMEMASTER'S APPROVAL - all characters are allowed and disallowed by GM fiat.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 19 2011, 11:55 AM) *
Would you prefer if I started talking about O-RAW constantly? An optional rule is still a rule. Generally speaking, most GMs and most tables allow all modular O-RAW that fits the normal RAW (this means yes metasapients, yes armor capacity; not neccessarily no Rea/Dodge from guns or increased Drain of direct spells). If you insist I can start specifying each and every time. Also, look again at page 89 of SR4A under the heading GAMEMASTER'S APPROVAL - all characters are allowed and disallowed by GM fiat.

Heh... Sure, the GM has final say, but that is different than playing an Optional Race, that may or may not be allowed. smile.gif
No worries.
Neraph
In any event, and an attempt to get back to the OP, I still highly suggest spirits: binding, maybe some Pacts, possibly some Arcana for Calling...
Machiavelli
I will check out the calling rules for sure. It may be a little bit of work, but i think it can pay out.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 27 2011, 11:50 PM) *
I will check out the calling rules for sure. It may be a little bit of work, but i think it can pay out.

They are interesting... I have a character that can use them, but have not had the opportunity to do so yet. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Machiavelli
My GM has an eye on me and wants to prevent me becoming a super-char. too easy (or at all, its a matter of interpretation wink.gif) so he would make it definitely a run by itself. Not easy power, but i really like the magical path i have to say. Some things i do only for the fun, not for benefit.
Neraph
Right. My thread on Ally Spirits and Calling deals specifically with the simple rules and possibilities. If I ever get to play (I GM usually) I would love to play a character that uses the Calling rules (mundane, magical, or AI) and goes full-out roleplay on the whole interaction. 'Runs specifically to get the Calling ritual materials, "True Name" styled findings, social interactions with specific spirits that have their own personalities - the whole thing. Sure, they can lead to amazingawsomesuperduperpower, but so can deltaware. The important thing to me is having a truly awsome story while you become powerful.
Machiavelli
My next step is to enter a dumpjard that is home of a toxic free spirit after i learned the cleansing metamagic. Then i go there and kick his ass and as soon as he lays on the ground before me i will force him into a spirit pact. After that, i am going to learn everything he is capable of....maybe he knows about karma-drain, or nuclear-spells?^^
Traul
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 29 2011, 05:34 AM) *
Right. My thread on Ally Spirits and Calling deals specifically with the simple rules and possibilities. If I ever get to play (I GM usually) I would love to play a character that uses the Calling rules (mundane, magical, or AI) and goes full-out roleplay on the whole interaction. 'Runs specifically to get the Calling ritual materials, "True Name" styled findings, social interactions with specific spirits that have their own personalities - the whole thing. Sure, they can lead to amazingawsomesuperduperpower, but so can deltaware. The important thing to me is having a truly awsome story while you become powerful.
How about the rest of the group? They might not like the idea of being mere sidekicks. It can work for a solo campaign, though.
Machiavelli
The GM will make it right....if you say this 3 times in front of a mirror.....whoah...
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 29 2011, 10:36 AM) *
The GM will make it right....if you say this 3 times in front of a mirror.....whoah...

Then your eyes will bleed out?

Oh wait, that was another fairy tale...
Machiavelli
No, i think you will laugh because of the immense level of self-deceiption. ^^
Neraph
The fact that I would roleplay with spirits does not make them sidekicks any more than the Face roleplaying with the Johnson or doing legwork makes everyone else sidekicks either.
Traul
I was not talking about the roleplaying part but playing whole runs to gather the calling components. What does the rest of the group get from it? Why should they follow? Is it fun for them? Is it the kind of power level they want? I think it's better to discuss that both with the GM and the group before bringing such a spotlight hog to the table.
Neraph
QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 30 2011, 04:23 AM) *
I was not talking about the roleplaying part but playing whole runs to gather the calling components. What does the rest of the group get from it? Why should they follow? Is it fun for them? Is it the kind of power level they want? I think it's better to discuss that both with the GM and the group before bringing such a spotlight hog to the table.

Eh. For example, during a normal run to steal plans for some focus or something, when finding additional paydata it is actually the Calling Ritual for a specific spirit. Not neccessarily a full 'run on its own in every case, but I'm sure there could be circumstances where the rest of the group would be on board for tracking down the Calling Ritual for a specific spirit.

EDIT: The more interesting/powerful/unique the spirit, the more work goes into it. Finding the Calling Ritual for generic Hermetic Fire Spirits would simply be the Extended Test (Arcana + Logic). Finding a specific free spirit may be put into the Paydata category. A Free Spirit with Unique Powers that is Invoked would be a 'run in and of itself.
Machiavelli
First time i have to agree with Neraph. Most of the time the GM is very thankful if you make his work easier. If you have plans for your char. he gets a lot of inspiration for runs. Besides that who cares about the goal of a run? Does a mage complain if he has to steal prototype cyber- or bioware? Run is run.
Neraph
And my idea is just something that helps define what "paydata" is other than a nebulous item that people would pay for (like GURPS).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012